Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah I was thinking of Jak.

The Ratchet remasters run near perfectly via RPCS3 afaict, but the original "quirks" of the ports are still there.

Like the 3D graphics in the vendor screen being stretched out.

I forgot how stingy the original R&C was. Buying ammo is an actual expense, and story progression is gated with tolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I forgot how loving insane Apocalypse was.

It's nuts how much can be happening on screen at the same time. Unfortunately my pc sometimes has trouble keeping up (and iirc so did the PS3)

Some races are complete chaos, and you'll lose positions "unfairly" but other times you'll gain a spot by someone self-detonating. It's just part of the experience.

I had trouble getting through the campaign when I played it over a decade ago. This time I completed half of it in a few hours, with only a couple retries. I blame it on the DS3 again.

Incredible game.

(the motion comics are fugly, though)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fPQpOY7mUw

The final part!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Thank you John

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
3d Dot Game Heroes was good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
PS3 Twisted Metal was also super loving fun, I wish it had gotten sequels with more live action cutscenes

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh my God, I'm finally going through a playthrough of rdr1 (and undead nightmare) just so I can at least finish it off the backlog but undead nightmare is horribly broken in many ways. I've had to restart multiple times.

And the game won't even give me the next loving main mission so I can't even progress the story even though I want to!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RDR was one of the games I was hoping to emulate, but it runs pretty crap. Playable, but the fps can go well below 30 in towns.

For now Xbox stays winning. You can play it in perfect 4K through backwards compatibility.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Please censor x**x in this thread, your ps3 doesnt deserve rrod

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The PS3 had its own YLOD too. Not as popular (I had a Halo 3 edition Xbox360 RRoD) but still there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

Please censor x**x in this thread, your ps3 doesnt deserve rrod

bust rrod

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Please do not mention that freak in this hallowed thread, thank you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh yeah my dad dropped off his old controllers the other day and I forgot how light and flimsy feeling the Sixaxis was

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh yeah my dad dropped off his old controllers the other day and I forgot how light and flimsy feeling the Sixaxis was

They are so bad. My thumb sticks are finally starting to get that melty rubber feel after over a decade :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ugh yeah a lot of my pads are doing that, horrid poo poo. At least there's silicon caps I guess..

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've got a single DS3 that still has good rubber on the sticks, an Aliexpress knockoff that surprisingly works after months and a 3rd party, Xbox-alike gamepad with a dongle that I use more often because it actually has good build quality and has 4 programmable back buttons, vibration and light can be turned off completely:

https://www.easysmx.com/en-es/colle...windows-android (plain black model)

Been using this one for well over a year and had no issues works on PC both wired or wireless with the dongle, USB-C port for charging. I paid around 25ish euros on Amazon and so far great. Of course I use silicon caps on every new controller I get.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Guillermus posted:

The PS3 had its own YLOD too. Not as popular (I had a Halo 3 edition Xbox360 RRoD) but still there.

My understanding is it’s prevalent on early models but, unlike the rrod, takes several years to set in.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh for sure. The quality control of the 360s was... Not good. At least until the 6th(?) revision of the fat model.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

And that's it. I finished a playthrough of rdr1 and undead nightmare. Even did a bit of multiplayer stuff.

I am never touching rdr1 again except for two cases: the base game on Xbox one x/series x consoles (it runs at 4k) or if they do a proper remake of rdr1.

Undead nightmare is overrated. It probably was pretty decent for the standards of 2010.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So I decided that for August, my ps3 game I will work on is Resident Evil 6!

Join me if you want for coop fun or maybe trying out the other modes. You can find me on the Playstation goon discord.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Join me if you want for coop fun or maybe trying out the other modes. You can find me on the Playstation goon discord.

Strangely but beneficially for this purpose, the PS3 version is actually part of PS+ Premium (the PS4 version is not).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

univbee posted:

Strangely but beneficially for this purpose, the PS3 version is actually part of PS+ Premium (the PS4 version is not).

That is part of the reason I picked RE6. If it's on the ps+ premium service I can play it easily via my ps4 or ps5.

The other part is because I have an unfinished playthrough. Gotta mop up some of those ps3 Era trophies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I turned on my PStriple today and watched a blu ray movie.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

A few weeks ago watched Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers with my sister and my nephew, some popcorn and then ice cream and the DVD was on my PStriple, using my recently acquired PS3 remote (mint condition from a trade store). Cool stuff :buddy:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guillermus posted:

A few weeks ago watched Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers with my sister and my nephew, some popcorn and then ice cream and the DVD was on my PStriple, using my recently acquired PS3 remote (mint condition from a trade store). Cool stuff :buddy:

You haven't truly owned a PS3 remote until you've accidentally *beep* turned on the PS3 with it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You haven't truly owned a PS3 remote until you've accidentally *beep* turned on the PS3 with it.

This is technically correct, since it will happen within a few minutes of you owning one.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
That feature is actually how my first 60GB PS3 died; my cat apparently pressed a button on that remote while I was at work, on what turned out to be the hottest day of the year.

It just stayed on for ~10 hours with poor ventilation and no AC running... I came home to it running but showing nothing onscreen and when I restarted it I got the yellow light of death.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

It's such a fun game. The PS3 and 360 versions are still good to play, but I'm working on completing the Switch version since it's the only one (besides PC with mods) that lets you disable QTEs entirely (useful if you want to prevent stick drift) and change costumes in the story. Unfortunately, it's just during gameplay since cutscenes use different higher-quality models.

Just remember to increase the FOV, since they added that after launch, and use Mercenaries mode to practice with all the different weapons and enemies. The enemy variety is insane, it's probably more than the entire Gears of War series put together. Anyone complaining about them being bullet sponges just isn't using parries enough.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Decided to turn on my Superslim PS3 on a whim today, and that thing is overheating like hell. Just staying idle on the OS for two minutes the whole cable area and most of the bottom of the system is extremely hot to the touch and the fan seems to be doing way too much noise. This seems like a serious issue if I intend to use the system for actual gaming. My older, standard slim PS3 could get hot but not like this.

What's a good guide for this particular model (superslim) on taking it apart, cleaning it up and (likely) repasting all thermal pastes. Probably worth switching the fan, too?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am very late to discovering the Ridge Racer 7 soundtrack.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Guys.

Resident Evil 6 sucks

Its literally has to be one of the worst AAA games I've played.

The pacing is awful. It's really bad at showing you what to do (mostly for the running sections) so there's a lot of trial and error. As you die a lot.

The game is too long for its own good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Guys.

Resident Evil 6 sucks

The pacing is awful. It's really bad at showing you what to do (mostly for the running sections) so there's a lot of trial and error. As you die a lot.

Yeah I never liked it. I know some people have tried to rehab it over the years but it’s sooo boring.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Ineffiable posted:

Guys.

Resident Evil 6 sucks

I've heard it's a pretty fun coop experience though. Key words, I've heard.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Ineffiable posted:

Guys.

Resident Evil 6 sucks

I'm playing through this with Ineffiable and boy do I have stuff to say about it. We've played Chris and Jake's campaigns and they were rough to put it lightly. Chris's campaign wasn't too bad but Jake's campaign was unbelievably awful.

I could write endlessly about how terrible Jake's campaign is but I won't. It's bad. Story is bad, writing is bad, levels are bad, pacing is bad, the only good thing about it is the combat and that wears thin after a while. I will say that there is a motorcycle section and if you're Jake you're literally driving blind. The camera was so bad that half of it was blocked by Jake and Sherry on the bike and the other half was blocked by Sherry shooting.

However, Chris's campaign was the epitome of disappointment. While Jake's campaign was the absolute worst, Chris's campaign shows off how close they were to a good game. The story is general action movie schlock with a resident evil twist and the combat is fun. The problem is that basically everything in this campaign is filler.

Chris has a little bit of a purpose in the story but the levels don't feel like they have a real purpose besides carrying you to the next cutscene. There's little to no environmental story telling and every chapter has multiple "Hold the Fort" moments where you have to just survive until the timer finishes counting down. That or endless running sections where the objective is poorly shown (Ineff and I literally went the wrong way on one by accident) or just running at the camera. There's very little purpose in each segment and you could honestly just watch the story clips without level context and miss nothing. Enemies are also either stupid easy to beat or ridiculous bullet sponges.

Overall, the problem with the game is its pacing. Jake's campaign was very much "We're here now" where every chapter felt disconnected from the rest. Chris's campaign is, as I said, nothing but filler to get to the next story bit. They could have halved each chapter's length and a lot would have been gained from that alone. There's also the problem with big monsters constantly "dying" and then reappearing very shortly afterwards. For example in Jake's campaign we fought the same monster about a half dozen times in the same chapter with it being "killed" at least once or twice before the final fight.

It's a real shame because I genuinely enjoy the story bits we've gotten. I adore Resident Evil's story because it's so hokey and dumb. It's like watching a B-Movie that takes itself way too seriously and you can't help but love it's earnestness. The combat is also fun too because the shooting feels good most of the time. It's got the foundations of a good and fun game but everything is just so poorly done that it falls apart and is disappointing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

I've heard it's a pretty fun coop experience though. Key words, I've heard.

As you can see from the above post, I'm doing it in coop and it's the only reason I can keep my sanity while going through the game.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Ineffiable posted:

As you can see from the above post, I'm doing it in coop and it's the only reason I can keep my sanity while going through the game.

I played RE5 single player and enjoyed it. This game? If it weren't for co-op and sheer determination to get through it I'd have given up a long time ago.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
Does RE6 still have an active online player base like RE5?

I'd love to play with goons but my sleep hours have shifted and I'm now more available to Europeans than NA goons with me typically playing between 4:30AM and 9AM...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

Guys.

Resident Evil 6 sucks

The pacing is way better in correct timeline chapter order

I agree it sucks on a first playthrough but once you know how to pull off all the sick poo poo and know what to expect in terms of tone and such its actually way way funner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

HONKER24 posted:

Does RE6 still have an active online player base like RE5?

I'd love to play with goons but my sleep hours have shifted and I'm now more available to Europeans than NA goons with me typically playing between 4:30AM and 9AM...

Interestingly enough when I looked, I would find at least 5-10 lobbies that you could join someone else playing.