Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Perhaps it's a conspiracy by the world"s elite to convince us that science fiction is bad and slowly indoctrinate us to believe that romantic comedies are better thereby ensuring that we will be defenseless against invasion by very charming aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So what's the odds that Netflix wanted to renew it for two more seasons but D&D said they could finish it in four episodes?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Yeah I'm getting the feeling that it might end up something weird like a limited series with extra long episodes? Or maybe just two more two hour episodes to finish it.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
While I thoroughly enjoyed 3 Body Problem and devoured every episode, it was a pretty thin gruel on the whole. I'll absolutely watch it all to the end. (I have not read the books, and also don't give a fig about rEsPeCtInG tHe SoUrCe MaTeRiaL. Do what you need to do.)

But lordy, THREE-BODY though, it's a satisfying meal. Only up to episode 12, but loving it. Even the bloody videogame stuff is better, and it's done fully-rendered rather than that horrible half-live-action-composited. Want to speed things up, just press the >> button, like a normal person. Perfect. Also Bingbing :swoon: - yep, she's worth 10 guys, and keeps proving it with her competence.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

So what's the odds that Netflix wanted to renew it for two more seasons but D&D said they could finish it in four episodes?

They had to be talked out of finish it in a christmas special.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In San-Ti culture, would "stay hydrated" be considered a grievous insult?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I think someone has to stay hydrated to start re-hydrating the rest, so saying that would be like saying you trust them with your life.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

A good poster posted:

I think someone has to stay hydrated to start re-hydrating the rest, so saying that would be like saying you trust them with your life.

How does that one not die?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Maybe the whole concept of their species just falls apart when you think about it too much.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A good poster posted:

Maybe the whole concept of their species just falls apart when you think about it too much.

I especially like the reveal from the canonized fan fiction that they are the size of a grain of rice.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I especially like the reveal from the canonized fan fiction that they are the size of a grain of rice.

Their entire civilization fits in a 1-bedroom apartment, but they refuse to share earth because they don't like filthy liars.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Just finished this despite wanting to stop multiple times and I can’t believe how bad it was. The writing and acting was rough.

I think the show runners were so successful with GoT because they basically lifted great characters and dialogue one-for-one from the books. After watching this show, I don’t think they actually know how to write good characters.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Chamale posted:

Adapting the last two books into a single good season is plausible, but it's going to be rough.

PriorMarcus posted:

Aipsh posted:

Yeah I'm getting the feeling that it might end up something weird like a limited series with extra long episodes? Or maybe just two more two hour episodes to finish it.

This is really not boding well after they said they had planned on 4 seasons...

https://collider.com/3-body-problem-season-2-netflix/

quote:

There are three books. The first season roughly follows the arc of the first book, and the second season would probably roughly follow the second book. The third book is massive. It's twice as long, I think, as the other two books, so maybe that's one season, maybe it's two. But I think we'd need at least three, maybe four seasons to tell the whole story. It's a beautiful ending. I think all three of us thought that the last page of Liu Cixin’s epic was maybe the best final image we'd encountered in a sci-fi saga like this. It's incredibly moving and mind-blowing, and so we’re desperate to get to the end. That means, hopefully, if enough people watch it that Netflix will renew us and give us a couple more years.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

3 season problem

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
all these characters selling out Earth or plain old giving up is making me feel some kind of way (that way is as a 40k commissar).

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

3 season problem

Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › TV IV › 3 season problem

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

grahm posted:

Just finished this despite wanting to stop multiple times and I can’t believe how bad it was. The writing and acting was rough.

I think the show runners were so successful with GoT because they basically lifted great characters and dialogue one-for-one from the books. After watching this show, I don’t think they actually know how to write good characters.

Agreed. I don’t know if this was a good adaptation of bad source material or a bad adaptation of good source material, but all the momentum fell out of the story about halfway through, after the reveal. Really did not like it whatsoever.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Agreed. I don’t know if this was a good adaptation of bad source material or a bad adaptation of good source material, but all the momentum fell out of the story about halfway through, after the reveal. Really did not like it whatsoever.

The books are incredible but the cool thing about them is the plot and theory and science, not as much the characters and dialogue. I think a good adaptation would've brought over the plot and ideas but written really good characters and dialogue. This wouldn't be easy because the books are long and dense but hey no one forced these guys to make them into a show.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The books are fairly poorly written to the point I thought the first was a bad translation but I found out later it wasn't. Characters are barely characters. And even the cool ideas sometimes suffer a lot in their actual execution but they are cool.

It was a poor choice by D&D because the good seasons of GOT (1-4) they had good to decent source material to adapt. It fell apart when they tossed out the stuff they hadn't adapted and wrote their own stuff. Here they didn't even have strong source material and needlessly changed a number of things for the worse.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

This is really not boding well after they said they had planned on 4 seasons...

https://collider.com/3-body-problem-season-2-netflix/

They shouldn't need 2 seasons for book 2, but but book 3 could definitely fill 2 seasons. This would be like of The Hobbit where it's multiple installments for no reason just to try and make more money.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

PostNouveau posted:

They shouldn't need 2 seasons for book 2, but but book 3 could definitely fill 2 seasons. This would be like of The Hobbit where it's multiple installments for no reason just to try and make more money.

Yeah, there's already a good chunk into the set-up for Book Two. Honestly, half a season for the remainder, then half a season on Book Three stuff, before a full third on the rest of Book Three seems reasonable.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Looks like we now have a definitive answer on the How Many Seasons question.

https://www.thewrap.com/3-body-problem-ending-season-3-netflix/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One body per season.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Without going to much into bookstuff, I wouldn't really see what they would do past the material of the third one.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don’t think there was ever a question of them trying to go past the books. It was just whether they’d even get thru the books after the announcement that was vague about how many more episodes they’d do.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can’t believe they’re gonna fit three more books into two seasons

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s like 1.75 more books cause they jammed a bunch of book 2 into the first season

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

It’s like 1.75 more books cause they jammed a bunch of book 2 into the first season

Yeah, I suspect they're gonna just rip through what's left of book 2 as quickly as possible. Gonna want to spend a good chunk of their Season 2 budget on Book 3 stuff with as much as there is to it and how out-there it gets.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Bold strategy, given that The Dark Forest is leaps and bounds better than the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

mastajake posted:

Bold strategy, given that The Dark Forest is leaps and bounds better than the other two.

They've already thrown out a whole important character there.
The book has one more wall facer.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 1, 2024