Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Phoning It In posted:

dont worry guys i have a plan for everyone to get their butts back

give users personal information to a third party so they can start an actual ponzi scheme

lmao a non profit in a free market yeah sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

video http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/ann?a=20140228-00000040-ann-bus_all

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
what kind of scrub makes $50mil and doesn't get a well fitted suit? shameful scrub.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Fabricated posted:

uugh so solly, so dishonerabru

don't do this.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

threefive posted:

what kind of scrub makes $50mil and doesn't get a well fitted suit? shameful scrub.

he said he put on like 50 lbs due to stress eating. i guess he's been too busy chatting on irc to get his elbows let out, or whatever the gently caress you rich people do

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Werthog 95 posted:

he said he put on like 50 lbs due to stress eating. i guess he's been too busy chatting on irc to get his elbows let out, or whatever the gently caress you rich people do

50 kg.

thats like over 100 pounds

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Install Windows posted:

50 kg.

:eyepop:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

my gox weight going up up up!

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

my gox weight going up up up!

he's a tremendous idiot who deserves it all but seriously can you imagine the stress and strain?

...on his belt

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
actual quote on the huffpuff news "gox is dead because the federal reserve must have awfully deep pockets to hire the best of the best blackhats"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Install Windows posted:

50 kg.

MOUNT GOX was going to be mark's name as a sumo wrestler, he was almost there when some gaijin who knew not bushido stole all his honorable bitcoins

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

NerdPolice posted:

actual quote on the huffpuff news "gox is dead because the federal reserve must have awfully deep pockets to hire the best of the best blackhats"

lol the hack didn't require you to be a genius, it just required somebody finding out about the issue and trying it on various bit businesses

heck i could probably look at the bug list and figure out a potential exploit myself

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

NerdPolice posted:

actual quote on the hufflepuff news

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

lol the hack didn't require you to be a genius, it just required somebody finding out about the issue and trying it on various bit businesses

heck i could probably look at the bug list and figure out a potential exploit myself

well then why don't you do it, smart guy.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

sorry, news blog entertainment site.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i still cannot believe that gox is a top three story on google news

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Werthog 95 posted:

well then why don't you do it, smart guy.

efffffooorrrrrrtttttttttttttttttttt

i've thought about it, but seriously, this hack (like most hacks) isn't about being CRASH OVERRIDE and hacking ALL THE THINGS, it's just noticing that they left a door unlocked

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ah yes. i could steal all the bitcoins so easily, but it's just too much effort :smug:

yeah, okay.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

double sulk posted:

i still cannot believe that gox is a top three story on google news

this is great news! for bitcoin!!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

YHofSuburbia 14 points 2 hours ago

Why would anyone with a brain put in tens of thousands of dollars into an exchange literally called Magic: The Gathering Online Exchange?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

rip bitcoin mining

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

a logarithmic half x-scale?
only bitcoins

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Socracheese posted:

im the 20 degrees of elbow movement before his jacket starts to rip

srs couldnt he have stolen enough money to get a properly fitting suit jacket

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Werthog 95 posted:

ah yes. i could steal all the bitcoins so easily, but it's just too much effort :smug:

yeah, okay.

i think we've seen it's not really that hard at this point tbqh

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

my fault, the suit thing seems to have run its course already

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Robawesome posted:

rip bitcoin mining

you can see the exact moment the miners heart breaks

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

only bitcoins
it's a terrible UI, not a terrible x-scale

also the graph now spikes to $2.5mm at the end so it may be a wee bit buggy

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

only bitcoins
wheres the log scale im not seeing it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
something I have never understood about bitcoin: what was the long-term plan to deal with attrition? I know that mining is supposed to be impossible after 21 million coins exist. let's say that future infrastructure is not run by chimpanzees and actually remains secured against deliberate theft and human incompetence. there will always be ways for them to disappear. someone puts their wallet on a phone and drops it down a sewer grate. your encrypted memory card is seized by law enforcement and disappears into an evidence room and is never seen again. the babby pours spaghetti-os into your backup server at the same time your hd crashes. too many bits on your ssd are flipped by cosmic rays. coins will still become permanently inaccessible. then what?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

haveblue posted:

something I have never understood about bitcoin: what was the long-term plan to deal with attrition? I know that mining is supposed to be impossible after 21 million coins exist. let's say that future infrastructure is not run by chimpanzees and actually remains secured against deliberate theft and human incompetence. there will always be ways for them to disappear. someone puts their wallet on a phone and drops it down a sewer grate. your encrypted memory card is seized by law enforcement and disappears into an evidence room and is never seen again. the babby pours spaghetti-os into your backup server at the same time your hd crashes. too many bits on your ssd are flipped by cosmic rays. coins will still become permanently inaccessible. then what?

Basically, the idea is that the remainder of bitcoins become more valuable. If 20,999,999 bitcoins were lost, presumably that single remainder bitcoin would be worth the world's GDP, and each satoshi (1/1,000,000th) would be worth several hundred million dollars.

Bitcoiners actually believe this is a good idea.

quote:

Did I get scammed? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 27 seconds ago by mitchr1

Put money in the site btc-arbs.com...site isnt there today. God, I loving hate myself

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

wheres the log scale im not seeing it

it's in the butt. you're going to have to mine for it.

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

haveblue posted:

the rest of the coins become more valuable because fygm if you're not the poor sap who lost it

e: f;b

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
so if I wanted to buy a candy bar I'd have to spend one ten trillionth of a bitcoin

it's bizarro zimbabwe

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

haveblue posted:

bitcoins are divisible down to the 8th decimal right now (and the protocol could be configured to go even further), so coins disappearing just means deflation and an increase in value for all the other coins, which is a good thing!

if you mean what happens if you lose your coins and can't get them back, well gently caress you got mine

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

ビットコイン

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

haveblue posted:

it doesn't matter because bitcoins are divisible. just makes the 'currency' even more deflationary which is great for practical use because ...

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sneaking Mission posted:

ビットコイン

i'm just going to assume this is japanese for shitoshi

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

i'm just going to assume this is japanese for shitoshi

http://bit.ly/ND9zTq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Cantorsdust posted:

bitcoins are divisible down to the 8th decimal right now (and the protocol could be configured to go even further), so coins disappearing just means deflation and an increase in value for all the other coins, which is a good thing!

if you mean what happens if you lose your coins and can't get them back, well gently caress you got mine

if you suffer misfortune it's just the invisible hand revealing that you aren't a real captain of industry

• Locked thread