Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I think some of us are watching different shows, because I've been loving the last few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think some of us are watching different shows, because I've been loving the last few episodes.

Same here, actually. Lots of fun character moments and worldbuilding.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm enjoying the current episodes too, though I also think season 1 was a bit better so far.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm using hyperbole to mask my disappointment, yeah. :sigh:

But even so, sitting down to watch it just feels more like a chore than an enjoyable endeavor. There are still enjoyable parts, but the scale tips, my friends. Winter is coming The scale tips.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I think it's just that the bad parts of this season were so loving god-awful that when we finally get something that doesn't want to make me gouge my eyeballs out it seems way better than it actually is.

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've thought the whole season was pretty good considering the smaller budget and that it's running out of material to adapt. I watched season 1 in like a week before going into season 2 and didn't really notice a significant drop in quality.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
What the heck guys, LH1 had a clear overarching plot, just enough personal development time for the characters that mattered and THINGS HAPPENED.

LH2 has been a SLOG by comparison, like literally every major thing that has happened so far was preempted by poo poo tons of dragging us through the mud (holy poo poo did you guys forget the nerd speech?).

The quality drop has been in way more than the animation budget.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
By the by, I'm doing an F&F/Review of the Log Horizon Tabletop RPG here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601035&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=150#post442754039

I'm also looking for suggestions for example characters to build in the system.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Literally the only bad part of the series has been the Akatsuki arc, which dragged on far longer than it had any right to and it just wasn't interesting to begin with. The raid was good and had politics by the end. The scrubs' journey was good development for the more ignored characters, and had Tohya's absolutely epic verbal smackdown plus his backstory that made him infinitely more likable. And besides, it had Rudy, and Rudy is great; and it had Roe 2 and the beginning of what seems to be the next important plot point. The one episode dedicated to Kanami was really good too, though it could've seriously used two episodes instead. This episode had Isaac being cool, a show of who will lead the People of the Land, and poo poo hitting the fan in the end.

This season has been unfocused, but by no means it has been bad. Once they got over Akatsuki's problems (which happened alongside SAO's possibly best moment, which only made it look worse) the season became fun to watch.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Xelkelvos posted:

By the by, I'm doing an F&F/Review of the Log Horizon Tabletop RPG here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601035&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=150#post442754039

I'm also looking for suggestions for example characters to build in the system.

a chef rogue adventurer determined to become the greatest cook in all of log horizon

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

This season has been unfocused, but by no means it has been bad. Once they got over Akatsuki's problems (which happened alongside SAO's possibly best moment, which only made it look worse) the season became fun to watch.

Curious as to what you're referring to from SAO here, because season 2 was really quite bad except for Caliber, even with the low bar set by season 1.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Raxivace posted:

Curious as to what you're referring to from SAO here, because season 2 was really quite bad except for Caliber, even with the low bar set by season 1.
Mother's Rosario was really good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

I meant Caliber and especially Mother's Rosario. I honestly think the short arcs work the best for SAO, so it doesn't end up dragging so badly like GGO did, and no other arc reached the sheer level of bad ALO had.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Blaze Dragon posted:

I meant Caliber and especially Mother's Rosario. I honestly think the short arcs work the best for SAO, so it doesn't end up dragging so badly like GGO did, and no other arc reached the sheer level of bad ALO had.

GGO was bad cause the animators made it really bad. The novel did a much better job of explaining everything. Most of the parts that made it coherent and make sense were cut and replaced with scenes of Sinon's rear end.

Anyways we should get back to bitching about Log Horizon guys.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This season has been really good about the worldbuilding and making me want to learn the details of the setting at large. It has also made me want to know what is going on more than ever after this last twist. It gave other guildmasters much needed screentime and those episodes were mostly enjoyable (William's speech was rad, shut up). I would have also liked to have more than a single super-rushed episode about THE BEST PARTY EVER because they are an interesting bunch.

Sadly that accounts for like one fifth of what happened onscreen. They really should have waited a year or so before doing a second season, because they stretched the first two arcs for a whole cour, gave the third arc a single episode, spent like six episodes on the next arc and now we have all of 3-4 for the final and (probably) most important one. :psyduck:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

This season has been really good about the worldbuilding and making me want to learn the details of the setting at large. It has also made me want to know what is going on more than ever after this last twist. It gave other guildmasters much needed screentime and those episodes were mostly enjoyable (William's speech was rad, shut up). I would have also liked to have more than a single super-rushed episode about THE BEST PARTY EVER because they are an interesting bunch.

Sadly that accounts for like one fifth of what happened onscreen. They really should have waited a year or so before doing a second season, because they stretched the first two arcs for a whole cour, gave the third arc a single episode, spent like six episodes on the next arc and now we have all of 3-4 for the final and (probably) most important one. :psyduck:

Yeah a year wait would have been better. Plus doesn't this mean that the anime is for all intents and purposes going to be completely caught up to the source material, or close to it? That's gonna result in quite the wait for the third season if so.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Note that the third arc is not a third arc, it was just a preview. Vol. 9, "Kanami, Go East!", is coming out in... a couple of days, actually. Even if the animators had access to the novel's full text, they weren't gonna adapt it in full before its release. That single episode was the anime equivalent of the short story that was released before Vol. 8. (Probably 'cause it introduced concepts that became relevant in the Roe2 arc)

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Literally the only bad part of the series has been the Akatsuki arc, which dragged on far longer than it had any right to and it just wasn't interesting to begin with. The raid was good and had politics by the end. The scrubs' journey was good development for the more ignored characters, and had Tohya's absolutely epic verbal smackdown plus his backstory that made him infinitely more likable. And besides, it had Rudy, and Rudy is great; and it had Roe 2 and the beginning of what seems to be the next important plot point. The one episode dedicated to Kanami was really good too, though it could've seriously used two episodes instead. This episode had Isaac being cool, a show of who will lead the People of the Land, and poo poo hitting the fan in the end.

This season was at best meh, but I would argue actively bad.

The Good:

The cat busts in at the end of the srubizon arc to do something and keep the viewer from falling into a coma.

Rudy continues to be great and tries to carry the srubizon arc to greatness again.

The raid arc was bad rear end regardless of how you feel about the speech.

The Kanami episode was great.

The Bad:

The Akatsuki arc.

Rudy gets like guest character levels of screen time this season.

The srubizon arc was flat as a pancake, zero tension, the srubs them self's do almost nothing to move the arcs plot along, almost nothing that happens in the arc effects the overall plot. It was too heavy for even Rudy to carry.

The Kanami episode was basic a recap episode of an arc we didn't get to see, which sucks as it looks to be a better arc then any of the ones we did get.

The raid arcs pacing was ruined by the injections of elemental boredom from the Akatsuki arc that they inexplicably decided to interweave with it.

The Undecided:

This politicking bits and bobs have been solid (lets face it if you are not a fan of fantasy world politics this is not the show for you), but we have had very little pay off on any of them, and at this point I feel like we wont get any for 3-5 years.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hagop posted:

The Good
raid arc

No. Could have been good if not done by Deen. I agree with Everything else though.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Paracelsus posted:

Mother's Rosario was really good.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sounds like I quit SAO2 right at the worst possible time. (after the iffy GGO poo poo, they were getting into more dumb-seeming ALO stuff and I just gave up)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

I found both GGO and Mother's Rosario to be worse than ALO (The former just seemed like a needlessly drawn-out retread of plot points in SAO and ALO, and the latter was quite possibly the worst, most emotionally manipulative usage of AIDS I've ever seen in a TV show or film), which wasn't great to begin with, so I guess we just have a fundamental disagreement here.

To try and keep this on topic, I like that Log Horizon doesn't try and deal with topics it really isn't equipped to handle in the slightest bit, like rape or AIDS. Not that the series doesn't have its own blunders or faults of course, but I like that it realizes that it mostly is a silly fantasy story, something SAO never seemed to quite grasp.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Akatsuki's arc was actually my favourite part of this season of Log Horizon. I liked having an arc focusing on her character (which had been neglected a lot before) and I found the fights interesting. I do think the arc could have been done better than it was, since a bunch of footage from the Moon scene literally got repeated.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
What do people mean when they say "emotionally manipulative". It seems to be a buzzphrase.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A jargogle posted:

What do people mean when they say "emotionally manipulative". It seems to be a buzzphrase.

Just that the writing relies on a subject being inherently sad, and not on the creators having anything particularly interesting, nuanced, creative etc. to say on the subject. Like SAO has a character who's only purpose upon being introduced is to die of AIDS. That's it. The whole arc is her new friends, the main characters of the show, learning she has AIDS, being nice to her and hanging out with her because of it, and then her dying. In a story that started with people being trapped inside a video game.

Compare that to Tohya in Log Horizon. We recently found out he was a paraplegic in the real world, after having a tragic accident. This is used to actually inform his character, his relationship with his sister, and how he interacts with other characters. LH treats it as a sad thing, but Tohya's character isn't solely to be a poster child for "Sad Thing That Can Happen" to people.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Kyte posted:

Note that the third arc is not a third arc, it was just a preview. Vol. 9, "Kanami, Go East!", is coming out in... a couple of days, actually. Even if the animators had access to the novel's full text, they weren't gonna adapt it in full before its release. That single episode was the anime equivalent of the short story that was released before Vol. 8. (Probably 'cause it introduced concepts that became relevant in the Roe2 arc)

A lot of the second season's problems seemed to be summed up as "We have no idea how to space what little content we have".

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
New episode is out, subs were late, this ep is 100% new (not even released in book form, apparently) and holy poo poo they're getting dogpiled.

And Shiroe's totally dropping the ball.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
I've got a theory... it could be bunnies.

https://youtu.be/l1wlOZeXCY0

https://youtu.be/FlOYatDYC40

Is this an anime original ending? Because if so they really should've just gone down that path ages ago. I've stuck with it out of hope but man this season has sucked mostly (except any scene involving Tetra).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That last shot was worth the Villain in Glasses name. Beautiful.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Griever posted:

I've got a theory... it could be bunnies.

https://youtu.be/l1wlOZeXCY0

https://youtu.be/FlOYatDYC40

Is this an anime original ending? Because if so they really should've just gone down that path ages ago. I've stuck with it out of hope but man this season has sucked mostly (except any scene involving Tetra).

No it's not anime original, it's anime first. It's from Book 10. (For comparison Book 9 comes out in 5 days.)
This is stuff that just now made it to the web novel.

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

That last shot was worth the Villain in Glasses name. Beautiful.

Yup, looks like he finally lost it..

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DheeradjS posted:

Yup, looks like he finally lost it..

So can we finally have our JRPG villain? Is he now going to wear ridiculous clothes and strike JoJo poses as he pulls Tzeenchian plots?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
My only hope for this Raid is that the Scrub Squad survive long enough for Rundelhaus to grab some sweet xp and loot and becomes the strongest Person of the Land we know he can be.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PowerBeard posted:

My only hope for this Raid is that the Scrub Squad survive long enough for Rundelhaus to grab some sweet xp and loot and becomes the strongest Person of the Land we know he can be.

To be fair, he is already higher level than the rest of the scrub squad. Probably because he sneaks out at night and fights wolves to the death with just his trusty magic gauntlet or some poo poo.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
You'd think he'd learn his lesson after the last time he fought those wolves with his gauntlet.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Well he's the party DPS. I assume the XP mechanics let him level faster. :v:

(Or maybe it's just his crazy work ethic. He did reach 20s with Lander progression, after all)

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Holy crap that was bad, everything about that episode felt or looked rushed. Also should I know team lion-man, because it felt like the show expected me to know them.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 23, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hagop posted:

Holy crap that was bad, everything about that episode felt or looked rushed. Also should be know team lion-man, because it felt like the show expected me to know them.

I just assumed they were from the tabletop RPG.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure if the pacing was rushed due to how recent the source material came out or if it was meant to reflect the urgency of the situation. Probably the former, though. Still, I'd rather it be too fast than too slow. No one wants to see Shiroe dithering for half a season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm not sure if the pacing was rushed due to how recent the source material came out or if it was meant to reflect the urgency of the situation. Probably the former, though. Still, I'd rather it be too fast than too slow. No one wants to see Shiroe dithering for half a season.

Reminds me a bit of what just happened with Shirobako where the anime catches up to the source material and the director has to go straight to the author to ask what happens next so they can animate it since the anime original ending was deemed insufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I actually liked this episode for once! There was progression!

• Locked thread