Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
five. nine. nine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

with Jim Ryanflation on the rise, could we see the return of the glory days???

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
PS5-
Price: $599
Games: No
Ps1 games: like 10

PS3-
Price: $599
Games: No
Ps1 games: Literally all of them

Hmm the choice for the discerning gamer is clear imo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PS3 with PS2 backwards compatibility, was the height of PlayStation. Its been downhill since.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

I said come in! posted:

PS3 with PS2 backwards compatibility, was the height of PlayStation. Its been downhill since.

No greater truth has ever been spoken.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I found my next ps3 game I want to revisit (and clean up more trophies in it)

Wipeout HD!

This game seriously owns.

There's a somewhat, maniac, arcade energy to it that we are mostly lacking in games these days.

For a ps3 game it runs at a really high resolution and framerate. It looks drat good.

(I do have the ps4 remaster, but I have the ps3 copy with a 1% completed trophy list. I wanna bump that up)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

I agree it sucks on a first playthrough but once you know how to pull off all the sick poo poo and know what to expect in terms of tone and such its actually way way funner

Yeah, exactly. For the people not enjoying RE6, if you try and play RE6 like RE4 or 5, or like Gears of War, you’re going to hate it. It’s not your fault, the game doesn’t even try to teach you this. It’s more like Vanquish, where you’re dashing and dodge rolling all around your enemies and making the best use of your stamina gauge, except with a very in-depth melee and parry system.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L7-VLALTcco
https://youtu.be/hUjmW5GgU_c

Watch a guide and practice in Mercenaries. Learn the parry timing for each enemy attack and special techniques like auto-mixing herbs (heal button + reload) and placing satchel charges while sliding as well as advanced movement like rolling and changing direction while sliding.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

I found my next ps3 game I want to revisit (and clean up more trophies in it)

Wipeout HD!

All of the best luck with that! Wipeout HD is really good, but super god drat hard. But if you could pull off a lot of progress, or even platinum on the PS4 version, then you can do it on the PS3 version.

Does anyone else here play White Knight Chronicles 2? For years now I've been too stubborn to move on, it has been one of the most unique exclusives on the system, even with its online mode no longer operational, the single player campaign is still a lot of fun in my opinion. But now with Xenoblade 3 out, and actually being a pretty similar game in a lot of ways, I think I am finally ready to lay WKC2 to rest. WKC2 will still always hold a special place in my heart and be one of my absolute favorite PS3 games, but XB3 just has so many great modern day mechanics and features that make it a much easier and more fun to play game. It'll just kinda be one of those games that I'll always feel very fondly about, but has been replaced for replay value by other similar JRPGs.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I just got another two bronze trophies on my ps3 copy of Rayman Legends.

Ps3 will never die!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The ps3 is epic, op.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I wish I could see my PS3 trophies on PS5. <:mad:>

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I wish I could see my PS3 trophies on PS5. <:mad:>

You can. They're visible from the same trophy list and everything.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

You can. They're visible from the same trophy list and everything.

Oh, you're right, I was thinking of the Games tab under Profile. The earliest game on that list for me is Contrast for PS4. But yeah, my earliest Trophy is Resistance 2.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Oh, you're right, I was thinking of the Games tab under Profile. The earliest game on that list for me is Contrast for PS4. But yeah, my earliest Trophy is Resistance 2.

Yeah it's kinda silly but Sony seems to want to cease ps3 and vita online activity.

You know those Playstation end of the year stats? I don't think they include ps3 or vita game stats.

You're right, the games played under profile won't show ps3 or vita.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Remember in dec 2016 when that cool dude was on the stage and announcing all those japanese games and he was like "coming soon to playstation 3, playstation 4, and say what??....thas rite, p l a y s t a t i o n. v i t a."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Vita ftw.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
My Vita will never leave my nightstand, it is the ultimate bedtime handheld!

And god bless Gio Corsi, some of the Sony execs hated that he kept mentioning the Vita on stage at those events.

Ineffiable, I think I want to try getting a trophy on PS3, PS4, PS5, and Vita in one day.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

other way on, you cant see your piss5 trophies on your ps3. cerny!!!! :mad:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

my ps3 takes like an hour to update just the ps3 trophies, id hate to watch it try to do the other consoles

or wait i think it just excludes ps5?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

other way on, you cant see your piss5 trophies on your ps3. cerny!!!! :mad:

Masayasu Ito resigned in shame over this very point

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/retrocr/status/1573038917611565056?s=46&t=8MVyy3kcaTiW1oAaiHj6eA

https://www.vblank.com/20220922_ps3.html

New physical copies for the PS3. What a time to be alive.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Anyone here did a complete PS3 fat tear down to clean it up, down to the CPU thermal paste and so? Looking to do that and maybe find better fans (bit more quiet + better air flow). Any tips?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I did it to my launch 60GB PS3 after Uncharted 3 gave it the YLOD on release. I did the whole teardown shebang, reflowed the CPU with the heatgun and new thermal paste and whathaveyou, it was complex for me back then with a lot of parts, shielding, screws, and possible mistakes. I'm sure people have developed better techniques in the last decade, but as someone who was already pretty comfortable opening up consoles it was intimidating even with youtube to help. After all the work I booted up Uncharted 3 so that I could finish the game and it made it 20 mins before once again YLOD.

At that moment I gave up on it. I junked the fucker (all of my old save files!), bought a used PS3 slim for $150 and never looked back. That was 10 years ago and the slim is still my de facto blu ray player. I loved my fat PS3 in 2007, but I don't miss it at all these days. Fat loving power hungry hog with spiderman font. I played like 4 old games on it ever, and these days if I don't have a PSX game digitally on PS3 slim or PS4/PS5 I would rather just bust out the tiny PSone and fire that up. I never play anything from the PS2 gen anymore, so ultimately the PS3 kind of came at a time when I was way too eager to prove I was an adult who could afford my own luxury games console, symbol of the dark age of gaming.

I do hope they bring back Warhawk tho, prolly my favorite game on that thing.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
I would just say that if you do have a dead fat PS3 in your hands, there have been semi-recent developments on what is being dubbed a "Frankenstein PS3" mod which is a rather complex matter of swapping out a dead processor with one from the PS3 Super Slim model which has a better/corrected fabrication method, takes less power and runs cooler.

This process stems from a repair method Sony was performing on fat PS3s late in the system's life span when it was confirmed that the processor was the failure point.

I can see it becoming an expensive repair method in the future if your system qualifies.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

HONKER24 posted:

I would just say that if you do have a dead fat PS3 in your hands, there have been semi-recent developments on what is being dubbed a "Frankenstein PS3" mod which is a rather complex matter of swapping out a dead processor with one from the PS3 Super Slim model which has a better/corrected fabrication method, takes less power and runs cooler.

This process stems from a repair method Sony was performing on fat PS3s late in the system's life span when it was confirmed that the processor was the failure point.

I can see it becoming an expensive repair method in the future if your system qualifies.

Does the BC still work that way?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I did it to my launch 60GB PS3 after Uncharted 3 gave it the YLOD on release. I did the whole teardown shebang, reflowed the CPU with the heatgun and new thermal paste and whathaveyou, it was complex for me back then with a lot of parts, shielding, screws, and possible mistakes. I'm sure people have developed better techniques in the last decade, but as someone who was already pretty comfortable opening up consoles it was intimidating even with youtube to help. After all the work I booted up Uncharted 3 so that I could finish the game and it made it 20 mins before once again YLOD.

At that moment I gave up on it. I junked the fucker (all of my old save files!), bought a used PS3 slim for $150 and never looked back. That was 10 years ago and the slim is still my de facto blu ray player. I loved my fat PS3 in 2007, but I don't miss it at all these days. Fat loving power hungry hog with spiderman font. I played like 4 old games on it ever, and these days if I don't have a PSX game digitally on PS3 slim or PS4/PS5 I would rather just bust out the tiny PSone and fire that up. I never play anything from the PS2 gen anymore, so ultimately the PS3 kind of came at a time when I was way too eager to prove I was an adult who could afford my own luxury games console, symbol of the dark age of gaming.

I do hope they bring back Warhawk tho, prolly my favorite game on that thing.

The only issue I have with this PS3 fat is that is quite loud compared to my 360 (white arcade model) sitting next to it. Mind that it isn't jet engine loud like some PS4Pros but enough to be there when watching a film.

Are PS3 slims good for CFW too? I found myself not really using the PS3 for backwards compatible stuff outside Killzone 1 and a few football games (old pro evolution soccer games).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I CFW'd my Slim and it's totally fine yeah. Actually used it to play BF2MC recently because PCSX2 can't render it in hardware mode lol

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I recall that there are two slim PS3 models? was the late superslim the one that couldn't get properly CFW'd or it's all fine by now?

Edit: just as I posted this was testing and surprisingly worked, that if you remove the plastic cover for the HDD (the small one at the bottom) while using it horizontal, it runs cooler and... it works? I launched FEAR 3, using fans at auto at 70ºC (25-75% speed trough wedMAN) and the temp dropped between 6 to 7 degrees. What the actual gently caress lol

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 16, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think the Superslim and maybe late Slims need HEN but when it's loaded there's not much you can't do anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPnwqVyDbbA

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The superslim is the one that has the sliding blu-ray cover, right? I can pick a slim (the one that looks more like the fat) for relatively cheap as side to my fat.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf

Vikar Jerome posted:

Does the BC still work that way?

Yes, there's a few videos on YouTube showing the system retaining full function while running significantly cooler.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Guillermus posted:

The superslim is the one that has the sliding blu-ray cover, right? I can pick a slim (the one that looks more like the fat) for relatively cheap as side to my fat.

The regular slim is a great machine, very reliable.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The regular slim is a great machine, very reliable.

They sell the 250gb model for about 70€ at GAME stores with 1 year warranty (revised and all that stuff) and I think it's a good price considering that I already have a fat with a 1tb HDD. 250Gb is more than enough for a machine I'd keep without CFW and blu-ray playing.

Hmmm they sell the black, silver and white version... silver (320gb) looks cool, was it matte or glossy?

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 16, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

it's matte

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

And I have a 500gb SSD unused... Second PS3... :thunk:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The hard drive of a dead PS3 is useless, right, because everything on it is encrypted? I wanted to transfer some old saves to pc.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Rinkles posted:

The hard drive of a dead PS3 is useless, right, because everything on it is encrypted? I wanted to transfer some old saves to pc.

Pretty much i think, could put it in another ps3 i think?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vikar Jerome posted:

Pretty much i think, could put it in another ps3 i think?

No, that doesn't work it'll try to format the drive iirc.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, that doesn't work it'll try to format the drive iirc.

Ah, well that sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah you would need to get the PS3 working for at least a few minutes so you could salvage the saves from it, but if that PS3 is dead-dead and unrepairable any data on it and not backed up online is gone.