Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I still like them, but their older songs before their OPs are better.

Same with Eve tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ikoku Nikki anime announced.

Not sure it'll be able to live up to how much I love the manga, but I am still very excited.
off the top of my head, the manga art wasn't so rigorous as to be too concerned about being adapted to anime, the script is really the thing they need to nail. with tomoko yamashita now getting her first anime adaptation, i'll still have hopes for sahara mizu, aki eda, and yokota takuma getting one

e: my mistake, i forgot about yamashita's tricornered window anime

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 3, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

if nothing else they made the aunt crazy hot

Wouldn't be Ikoku Nikki if she wasn't.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Arc Hammer posted:

Yoasobi is fine. I don't really care much for their OPs but they're not offensively bad or anything.

it's lame that they've stolen a new yotsugi op from the world

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Endorph posted:

if nothing else they made the aunt crazy hot

crazy hot aunts in your area, click now milord

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Salad bowl eccentrics continues to be a really funny show. The Knight continues to be the star of the show.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ikoku Nikki anime announced.

Not sure it'll be able to live up to how much I love the manga, but I am still very excited.

I am hoping for good things. The manga was fantastic.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Electric Phantasm posted:

I still like them, but their older songs before their OPs are better.

Same with Eve tbh
I prefer the REAL YOASOBI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2VryLndqhg

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

About halfway thru Time Patrol Bon and it's real good. It continues to be a p good season for solid, colorful kids shows.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i liked the first episode alright, will watch more later. i think there's a second cour coming too

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Maybe I'm wrong but i think that whoever is doing framing/story boarding on kaiju 8 doesn't understand the assignment. It's been multiple times where the final move was

1. Electric charging up
2. Anti seizure filter cranked to 11 gets activated
3. Stuff happens in a unintelligible dark smear
4. Monster is now a cloud of gore

Once it's understandable but every time is a bit bad.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
With the exception of the seizure filter, I think that's just them being faithful to the source material.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, my favorite part of the entire manga was the early fight scenes where kafka's gnarly monster physiology would be shown in full detail as it was used to punch another monster.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlowBloke posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but i think that whoever is doing framing/story boarding on kaiju 8 doesn't understand the assignment. It's been multiple times where the final move was

1. Electric charging up
2. Anti seizure filter cranked to 11 gets activated
3. Stuff happens in a unintelligible dark smear
4. Monster is now a cloud of gore

Once it's understandable but every time is a bit bad.

Yeah it's all falling a bit flat for me. On paper it should be a series which kicks rear end (I was hyping it in the Cinema Discusso kaiju thread for months, lol) but it's just not coming together for me for some reason.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah it's all falling a bit flat for me. On paper it should be a series which kicks rear end (I was hyping it in the Cinema Discusso kaiju thread for months, lol) but it's just not coming together for me for some reason.

Do you like the manga? I love Godzilla movies and toku too, but perusing the manga at the store something about it looked generic and joyless to me anyway. So curious if you were a fan already or just thought the anime looked cool, I know the manga has its fans.

On Oblivion Battery, I've added that to my watchlist, and now I've got like 5 baseball related anime on there. I haven't watched one yet, but I'll get there, anime sports is the best take on sports.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Heavy Metal posted:

Do you like the manga? I love Godzilla movies and toku too, but perusing the manga at the store something about it looked generic and joyless to me anyway. So curious if you were a fan already or just though the anime looked cool, I know the manga has its fans.

I only read the first few chapters of the manga before I decided to wait for the anime but that's what got me hyped for the show. I remember that the trailer looked really promising, it seemed to flesh out certain scenes like the appearance of the big kaiju right at the start

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I may give either a proper chance sometime. It just, you know how there are trends stuff hop on, it looks like the Attack on Titan "spooky spectacle" or whatever vibe, which I guess either I find it enticing and cool or I don't. But it's good to give things a go.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i liked the first ep of kaiju no 8 but absolutely cracked up at how on the nose naming the main guy kafka is

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
OP Updated :toot:

quote:

:siren:Boku no Hero Academia 7th Season (My Hero Academia Season 7)
Bones | Kenji Nagasaki ; Naomi Nakayama | Yousuke Kuroda | Action | Manga | May 4, 2024
7th season of Boku no Hero Academia
PV
Thread

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
Jellyfish Ep. 5
I see they're just upgrading the subtext. Maybe this as far as it will go, but between that final scene and the ending lyrics, I don't know.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Hellbore posted:

Jellyfish Ep. 5
I see they're just upgrading the subtext. Maybe this as far as it will go, but between that final scene and the ending lyrics, I don't know.

it would be kind of dumb to have a scene end with "tackle on the snow and kiss on the cheek" if you're not going to do anything with it, but i am prepared to be disappointed

also just dug this ep in general. felt like it really probed the self-doubt and delusions of grandeur of artists better than the first ep did. was good.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's a Girls Band world now in anime and I'm all in for it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/RinSS_HI/status/1786863033500754140

I guess I gotta watch the Jellyfish show huh

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Waffleman_ posted:

it's pretty good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it, Train to the End of the World, and Spice & Wolf are all in contention for my anime of the season so far (discounting DunMeshi of course)

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

it, Train to the End of the World, and Spice & Wolf are all in contention for my anime of the season so far (discounting DunMeshi of course)

currently i've got sound euphonium and dunmeshi on the top tier, then jellyfish, whisper me a love song, train, wind breaker, girls band cry, and yuru camp are all really good and duking it out for third

i dropped bartender because i wasn't feeling it during the ep with the french chef and i'm watching way too much poo poo already, and i'm planning on catching up with yatagarasu, kaiju no 8, go go loser ranger, and voice actor radio when i get time

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

currently i've got sound euphonium and dunmeshi on the top tier, then jellyfish, whisper me a love song, train, wind breaker, girls band cry, and yuru camp are all really good and duking it out for third

i dropped bartender because i wasn't feeling it during the ep with the french chef and i'm watching way too much poo poo already, and i'm planning on catching up with yatagarasu, kaiju no 8, go go loser ranger, and voice actor radio when i get time

i watched the newest ep of Bartender tonight and it still remains settled into that category of "good but not great, does what it does well and i've been watching for long enough i might as well finish it." most of the bartenders and the office lady duo are pretty attractive tho so that's a bonus incentive

Voice Actor Radio on the other hand keeps improving every ep ever since that mess of a debut especially with the relationship dynamics between the MC pair, not gonna spoil anything but ep 4 does a good job of setting up where the rest of the anime seems likely to go

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

yeah bartender isn't bad it is just an okay show that is a victim of being stuck in a season stacked with really good shows

i added voice actor radio to the list of stuff to come back to based on positive posts in this thread lol. currently trying to have either caught up with everything or have dropped stuff by wednesday.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It hasn't done itself any favors by launching straight into a kind of tournament arc. It's a convenient way to throw in some exposition and introduce secondary characters, sure, but it also killed a lot of the momentum of the first two episodes, and this whole two-episode arc has been predictable start to finish (we already know Kafka is going to make it onto the force, it's right there in the ED). I'm holding out until they get past all this setup, but it definitely has slipped in my personal ranking.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

go go loser ranger is interesting. just watched the 4th ep.

i really like the idea of tokusatsu rangers as this institution with bureaucratic rot, and layering that with having the generic enemies have transformation powers almost turns it into something like a spy thriller. it works best when it realizes this and leans into the espionage inherent to the concept, but all the fights have ended up being transformation-themed gotchas that aren't really landing for me. into the production values and the concept, not sure i'm feeling the execution yet. want to give it another couple eps to see how i feel.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

returns

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Waffleman_ posted:

https://x.com/RinSS_HI/status/1786863033500754140

lol. i've fallen into my 2 episodes every other week viewing pattern but this is making me want to break the habit for jellyfish

Big Leg fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 5, 2024

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wasn't there supposed to be new Demon Slayer this season

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sakurazuka posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be new Demon Slayer this season

Yes, but episode 1 isn't airing until next week.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Really enjoying Tonari no Yokai-san. It has an interesting balance of charming slice of life stuff and drama. The world building is fun, like with how the Volkswagen-turned-yokai has to get a Japanese citizenship because he's a German car.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am going to get baited so hard by Jellyfish. I am prepared to be sad.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Chas McGill posted:

Really enjoying Tonari no Yokai-san. It has an interesting balance of charming slice of life stuff and drama. The world building is fun, like with how the Volkswagen-turned-yokai has to get a Japanese citizenship because he's a German car.
And get a driver's license! They made the animate car god take a driver's test. I want to know if he performed the road test as his car-self, or if they made him drive a rental.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Subaru going from willing instigator in Nina and Momoka's fight (Using a cell phone ring bell) to wanting to be anywhere but there when the fight got real heated was A+ moment

Man having three real good but real different girls band shows sure is a thing

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Chas McGill posted:

the part in this weeks episode where they're watching the news and it cuts to a feed of the international space station with a yokai astronaut hanging out on board is great.

i also love how the drama shifts between the most mundane stuff like getting your drivers license or trying to talk to a cute boy, and episodes about being cursed to hell by a snake ghost or accidentally getting teleported to another dimension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

P much settled into what Imma be watching

Viral Hit is my anime of the season and it's not particularly close, this tale of an anime who makes a reaction series of his whole life. It's this odd tension it creates, bw my opinion that irl watching kid fights, esp set in school, is the Devil, and my being an easy mark for any show that ends its first ep on the promise of "nyehehe yeah, let's be evil together. For money." That proceeds to teeter on this really entertaining balance of sweet/sad where I'm touched one min how Hobin's nutubu livechat really back him up and support him, to how the poor kid is sinking his own kinda-date cuz he can't get out of his own head w the self-loathing he's been struggling to survive under, to openly cheering his bizarre "final act of resistance". The specificness of the interiority really got me to feel for this lil goober and the show has easily as much to say, if not moreso, about social media's roles in kids' lives and how it can amplify that feeling of everyone around you always being in your business, and looking disapprovingly, as something like Jellyfish or even ODDTAXI.

s' not much to look at but the face game is on point and the corny ost of thugnificent and tiktok music really only fits the proceedings. Lovin' it, need that next ep right now.

Now that we got our girls all together in Jellyfish, my worry last week was that their dynamic is just a bit, uh, boring, save for the kooky idol fangirl who's my favorite(and the MVP of that episode, proving the most emotionally and practically observant and forward w asking questions) but this week's does good work making main girl Mahiru feel less so. The specificness of the dialogue and their inner monologues, here as in Viral Hit or Train, is what makes these characters fun to follow and sells their personalities, and anyone who's tried putting their creative work out their on the internet can emphasize w the neuroticism worryin about that one negative comment, what other people will think, can bring. The pressure never really goes away even when your friends are on your side and you know even at that age the feelings are small and petty damnit that's why coming forward about them is the scariest of all, and it's all you can do sometimes to throw yourself into your work and let that chaotic melange of feelings power you.

Touches like bubles coming out of the phone are thing kind of first episode-y things I wish the direction would get back to, I think the second is still my favorite so far, but it conties to be a very solid, showy kids show; about the best thing I can say for it is how sincerely Jellyfish speaks to creative kids' issues and feelings, feeling so close to their own pov that it can articulate those messier feelings in addition to just the rush of art and collaboration.

This week's ep of Train to the End of the World is what I was scared I'd be waiting the whole show for, wondering if we can keep up that pace. Rolling harmlessly thru mildly surreal imagery was neat I guess but kicking up the pace would only match up greatly with the generally motormouthed mile-a-minute quality this show's pacing has to begin with. The alive, banter-y energy of the cast owes a lot to that pacing, and I'm just vibing w the mystery vibe that much more when the characters are actually physically engaging with it. More solid kids stuff.

Tonari no Yokai-san: the crow guy: would.
Very character and emotionally-driven, and will sometimes even decide to be a pretty solid episode of Inuyasha and that's always nice, but it puts everything very directly and gently to where there's not really much to comment on. A pleasant watch.

Been doing Kaiju no 8 and Wind Breaker in a groupwatch w friends and they continue to be shounen as heck. Kaiju feels so deeply likes a BONES thing its crazy, and the Dorehodoro rear end Shinji Kimura bg art has me hoping the show will bring its action to some cooler locales soon. Speakin of

Not done w Time Patrol Bon yet, but from a technical perspective, the show is a marvel depending on your tolerance for any amount of cg being used ever. The ancient Egypt ep is a stunner, lavished w huge, ambitious tableaux of bustling civilizations, an entire pyramid in construction, where a majority of the models really are animated, and it's far from the only case. The sense of scale and historical attention to detail are worth attention alone, on top of its cool pencilscratch thing they're doing to the lineart reminiscent of that Juni Taisen show, or what Kiyotaka Oshiyama's crew are doing now on Look Back, and Michiru Oshima's gently powerful score also works wonders.

It's up to debate what the characters really add to the equation; Bon and Ream really seem to suck at this Time Patrol business, particularly ep 7 about saving a couple from being sacrificed to the minotaur of Crete. They save em and all, but yer gonna see some human sacrifice all right(in addition to historical titty just all out, lookout for that)...lol. Jesus. Generally tho I dig the retro vibe these character designs are puttin down; for all the talk Metallic Rouge got for feelin like a throwback, this right here sendin me right back to the old 00's adaptations of Kikaider and Pheonix, or when Dezaki's Black Jack ovas were stretching into the decade.

There's some balls on this show, too. Really was not expecting to see out heroes fly into a fully animated historical kamikaze assault.

Also Ninja Kamui's done i guess. The plot was a mess, ending was a wet fart, God I was sick of those mech suits by the end, but when it cooked, it cooked, and I just appreciate it gave a gently caress bout the extended cast. "Ninjas learning love, impacting other ninjas thru the empathy learned thru that love" aint half bad for a story, albeit unbearably cheesy at times.