Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
damaged dog goon

Yeah you seem to be doing things just fine. Those ones take a lot of time, and some dogs just have their people, but it sounds like you are making slow progress, so its most likely a trust/time thing. I think youll be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Uh we had a pretty abused rescue dog when I was in high school. The good news is that it's not particularly complicated to work through, the bad news is that it's quite slow.

For that dog we had to basically just... Never look directly at her for the better part of a year. Didn't like treats straight from hands, but putting on the floor somewhere in her field of vision and walking away usually worked for her to check it out.

Never, ever go towards her for now. Let her approach you when she wants.

Eventually she would come tearing down the stairs and over to the treat container when I came home from school though :kimchi: you'll get there.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I had a quick question buried in an earlier wall of text. Is there any problem using a crate/kennel that is too big for an adult dog that is already crate trained?

Edit: my kennel did come with a divider. Would setting that up be necessary or recommended?

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 2, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

In vaguely related matters, I'm currently sleeping on the floor beside the pup's kennel in efforts to get her to be ok with chilling/sleeping there.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GoodBee posted:

I had a quick question buried in an earlier wall of text. Is there any problem using a crate/kennel that is too big for an adult dog that is already crate trained?

Edit: my kennel did come with a divider. Would setting that up be necessary or recommended?

if the dog is already crate trained it shouldnt matter. normally crate sizing is important for the housebreaking part so they cant mess up one side of the crate and then sleep on the other side.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Dog2 is home and resting in her kennel. She seems uncomfortable from her surgery. She didn't want to pee when we got home but I brought her outside after a bit and she went in the grass right out front. She has food and water but she hasn't ate any yet.

Dog1 was super excited and really wants to play. I think she's pouting now because she can't play with her new friend. The cats don't care one bit.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Adopted this little ball of fury a couple days ago. His name is Cooper, he is approximately 9 weeks old and best guess is he is a Lab / Carolina Dog mix (his mom looks like a Carolina Dog) he was the only one in the litter of 8 that had a light yellow lab like coat, all his brothers and sisters were a dark amber coat with white bellies and stripes on their heads. So far he is doing pretty well adjusting from living at the rescue shelter with 30 other dogs for the last couple months. Already taught him how to sit on command and potty training is going OK with just a 1 or 2 accidents. Last night I got him to go into his crate on his own and take a nap and then after about an hour of playing he got back in to sleep. Only had to wake up once last night to let him go pee, but he basically slept in the crate for 7hrs without issue after that!

Only issue is the puppy biting, it doesn't bother me or my wife because we can redirect him to a toy or keep our hands away, but our youngest is struggling with it, all he wants to do is play with the puppy, but the puppy just wants to eat his toes and fingers and well, being his age it hurts I am sure. Can't wait for that to end! :D

Can see in this one the forehead stripe, and the color of his fur better :D

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 3, 2017

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

thebushcommander posted:

Adopted this little ball of fury a couple days ago. His name is Cooper, he is approximately 9 weeks old and best guess is he is a Lab / Carolina Dog mix (his mom looks like a Carolina Dog) he was the only one in the litter of 8 that had a light yellow lab like coat, all his brothers and sisters were a dark amber coat with white bellies and stripes on their heads. So far he is doing pretty well adjusting from living at the rescue shelter with 30 other dogs for the last couple months. Already taught him how to sit on command and potty training is going OK with just a 1 or 2 accidents. Last night I got him to go into his crate on his own and take a nap and then after about an hour of playing he got back in to sleep. Only had to wake up once last night to let him go pee, but he basically slept in the crate for 7hrs without issue after that!

Only issue is the puppy biting, it doesn't bother me or my wife because we can redirect him to a toy or keep our hands away, but our youngest is struggling with it, all he wants to do is play with the puppy, but the puppy just wants to eat his toes and fingers and well, being his age it hurts I am sure. Can't wait for that to end! :D

Can see in this one the forehead stripe, and the color of his fur better :D

A++++ pup right there. Congratulations!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

What's the best way to stop your dog from licking the crap out of everyone? Same as stopping them from biting? So far I've just been moving out of licking range and saying "No" a lot.

I think it's awesome that Dog1 doesn't lick, she just nose boops people and stuff. Dog2 is apparently a super licker. I want to discourage this. She also wants to nibble on noses and chins. This makes me a little worried to introduce her to people. Not super worried, Dog1 will probably deter anyone who might mind doggy kisses and nibbles from Dog2 by being bigger and louder.

Dog2 is also an aggressive squeaker. I have a couple of squeaky toys I got for Dog1. Dog1 squeaks them a little but mostly destroys them. Dog2 immediately finds the squeaker and keeps squeaking it. I have to take them away at bed time or she'll keep me up all night.

sneakyfrog posted:

if the dog is already crate trained it shouldnt matter. normally crate sizing is important for the housebreaking part so they cant mess up one side of the crate and then sleep on the other side.

She seems pretty well crate trained. She hasn't messed in her kennel yet and I figure if she was going to, she probably would have done it already.

I think she'll be fine to use the bigger crate for a while. I have a 36" crate and she's being too wiggly for me to measure her. She'll either get a 30" or a 24". I probably won't have to crate them both but I think it will be good to have, just in case.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
So me and my fiancee adopted a pup around 6 months ago. We rescued her (SPCA) when she was around 3 or 4 months old, and she's been really great so far, house-training went pretty smoothly, she's been crate-trained since we got her basically, and she's stopped biting except for about the first 5 or 10 minutes when one of us comes home from work, but happens more with my fiancee. My main issue is training her to not drool like crazy in the car. I'm willing to accept the answer of "hey, some dogs just hate car-rides", but she's more on the "industrial drool production" levels in our cars. Today we took her over to my eventual father-in-laws house and the back seat of my fiancee's car was a huge puddle of drool by the end of it. I'm willing to try most anything , but I do know that some dogs just don't do well on car rides, which sucks because it makes it annoying for us to take her to parks and other places (having a dog in a city kinda blows). I'd also love recommendations for training her to get in the car without having to pick her up. She's 64 pounds at 9-10 months and if she grows anymore, it's going to be annoying lifting her into the car. Thanks in advance, have some photos.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My Dog1 got drooly in the car for a few months after I first adopted her. I'm not entirely sure if she just got better in the car or I don't drive her in stop-and-go traffic as much. I think it's probably both.

She used to stand up in the back seat of my car but I put a pet bed back there one time when we went camping and she was fine the whole way to the camp ground. Some of that can be attributed to most of the trip being interstate driving but then I didn't bring the pet bed inside immediately after we got home. Now she lies down on the bed in the back of my car on the pet bed while we drive around town and we've had significantly less drool.

The pet bed was in the back of my car when I picked up Dog2 from the shelter. She didn't have a problem rocking out back there in stop-and-go traffic. I haven't dragged her around to as many places as Dog1 but maybe tossing a comfy foam bed in the back of the car is the answer.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

GoodBee posted:

My Dog1 got drooly in the car for a few months after I first adopted her. I'm not entirely sure if she just got better in the car or I don't drive her in stop-and-go traffic as much. I think it's probably both.

She used to stand up in the back seat of my car but I put a pet bed back there one time when we went camping and she was fine the whole way to the camp ground. Some of that can be attributed to most of the trip being interstate driving but then I didn't bring the pet bed inside immediately after we got home. Now she lies down on the bed in the back of my car on the pet bed while we drive around town and we've had significantly less drool.

The pet bed was in the back of my car when I picked up Dog2 from the shelter. She didn't have a problem rocking out back there in stop-and-go traffic. I haven't dragged her around to as many places as Dog1 but maybe tossing a comfy foam bed in the back of the car is the answer.

That could work, and I have an old memory foam mattress topper that would fit perfectly. We also have a pet hammock thing so her legs can't fall into the seat wells (and also to catch the drool and, occasionally, vomit) and it would fit perfectly there. I'll definitely give it a try next time we take her to one of the local trails.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Worth a shot, especially if you don't need to buy anything.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Right so, have a damaged rescue pup and have been pretty much burying my head in the sand for the past year. Pup has come on in leaps from the huddled terrified lump so it was real easy to ignore her stranger problems. She hates strangers near her. When it happens you cannot distract her for love nor money from fear aggressive behaviour but it doesn't happen consistently. Sometimes she will happily take food, be petted and then she snaps in seconds. Sometimes she reacts right off the bat so no chance of getting them anywhere near her to give food etc. It has made water leaks and deliveries much much harder because she will not be calmed.

I'm at my wit's end now because she snapped and nipped someone she has met before and previously been ok with (understanding family thank god)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The Jumpoff posted:

So me and my fiancee adopted a pup around 6 months ago. We rescued her (SPCA) when she was around 3 or 4 months old, and she's been really great so far, house-training went pretty smoothly, she's been crate-trained since we got her basically, and she's stopped biting except for about the first 5 or 10 minutes when one of us comes home from work, but happens more with my fiancee. My main issue is training her to not drool like crazy in the car. I'm willing to accept the answer of "hey, some dogs just hate car-rides", but she's more on the "industrial drool production" levels in our cars. Today we took her over to my eventual father-in-laws house and the back seat of my fiancee's car was a huge puddle of drool by the end of it. I'm willing to try most anything , but I do know that some dogs just don't do well on car rides, which sucks because it makes it annoying for us to take her to parks and other places (having a dog in a city kinda blows). I'd also love recommendations for training her to get in the car without having to pick her up. She's 64 pounds at 9-10 months and if she grows anymore, it's going to be annoying lifting her into the car. Thanks in advance, have some photos.

That is an A+ spottidog, she reminds me of my frecklemonster :3:

Drooling is often a sign of nausea/car sickness. Some people have success with (real) ginger snaps but you can also talk to your vet about meds to combat it.

tessiebee posted:

Right so, have a damaged rescue pup and have been pretty much burying my head in the sand for the past year. Pup has come on in leaps from the huddled terrified lump so it was real easy to ignore her stranger problems. She hates strangers near her. When it happens you cannot distract her for love nor money from fear aggressive behaviour but it doesn't happen consistently. Sometimes she will happily take food, be petted and then she snaps in seconds. Sometimes she reacts right off the bat so no chance of getting them anywhere near her to give food etc. It has made water leaks and deliveries much much harder because she will not be calmed.

I'm at my wit's end now because she snapped and nipped someone she has met before and previously been ok with (understanding family thank god)

Your pup needs to not be interacting with unfamiliar people until you get a handle on this. She shouldn't be put in situations where people could be bitten. When visitors/deliveries/maintenance shows up the dog needs to be put away someplace safe. My dog has been trained to go to a back room automatically when he hears someone knock on the door. It's not worth losing your dog if she snaps at the wrong person. Teaching her to be comfortable and happy in a muzzle would also be a good idea. The Muzzle Up! Project has a good muzzle training protocol.

Then you need to get her some professional help. A vet behaviorist is expensive but if you can swing it is definitely the way to go if she has already gotten in the habit of snapping when uncomfortable. A really good, positive reinforcement only trainer with experience in behavior modification could be a place to start if you can't get to a vet behaviorist but make sure to really check them out first. You don't want someone who is going to correct the hell out of her until she's a ticking timebomb. Books like Scaredy Dog or Behavior Adjustment Training or the Bogeyman classes at the fenzi dog sport academy online might also be things to check out but really you need to reach out to a pro at this point.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Any good advice on stopping excited licking? Alternatively, any terrible advice that doesn't sound that bad? I don't want to go searching and find a bad idea that I don't recognize as a bad idea and try that.

I can tell her No when she's going for the face and sometimes she'll just lick the air in front of my face but sometimes she'll just go for a different body part.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Thank you instant jellyfish

Just to confirm we have bought a face halti and a yellow "nervous" coat to give lots of warning, and will be heavy on the on lead walks for the foreseeable.

Himself is not keen on a muzzle so a face halti was the compromise.

We let the dog daycare we use know and they are happy to keep pup on for now. They have had no issues so are treating it as a "one off" for now.

There are some managed walks with a dog prof nearby, we will be going regularly now.

We do want to address this as best we can without detrimental effect on the dog as she is quite energetic.

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 8, 2017

Ainsley
Feb 17, 2011

You must go on a long journey before you can really find out how wonderful home is.
Hi thread! First and foremost, MAJOR AND COMPLETE thanks to the op and everyone who contributed - my partner and I got our first dog (well, my first dog ever, his first dog not owned when he was a small child) together three weeks ago and this thread has been MASSIVELY helpful both in the preparation and helping shape him into the super good doggo that he is. Theodore is a rat terrier from a small breeder on Long Island (if anyone in the area is looking for a rat terrier, a) they are utterly charming animals and b) I cannot praise Janet and her pups enough: http://gemsrats.com We picked up Theodore when he was just eight weeks and a day and he's already consistently pooping outside (he's still a bit 50/50 on the peeing, since he doesn't quite get the whole "I can empty my entire bladder of pee all at once, instead of parcelling it out over half an hour"), he picked up sit almost immediately, he'll run like the wind and then pass out on your legs and watch you play Bioshock all afternoon. Everything I dreamed of. We're working on not nipping at ankles and oh god, he dreeeeeeams of the day that he'll be granted permission to rip Ryan's pant hems to shreds without us immediately shoving one of his chew toys in between him and the cuffs, but he's a certified Good Boy.
We're planning a trip out to the countryside in a few weeks (up to a lake in Connecticut) where the ticks are apparently more plentiful than oxygen, just begging for the chance to crawl up on our pupper. He's going in for his last vaccinations on Friday and his vet and I had talked about giving him the Lyme disease vaccine at the same time, but does the thread have any particular "we cannot live without this!" or "stay the hell away from this!" on tick collars/sprays/whatever? that we could give as extra protection?
As a reward, I humbly place before the thread some pictures of my favourite little dude (both from his first few days home when he still had puppy ears and the other from this morning, now that the ears have reached their full height):

Ainsley fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 8, 2017

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

So last night just before I fell asleep my dog came over to the side of my bed (unusual behavior for him) and seemed super uncomfortable. I got down on the floor to see what was up and he laid all the way down and would not lift his head off the floor. Initially it seemed like he was having trouble breathing or might have been choking, he was doing tiny sniffles and his muscles/belly seemed super tense. But mostly he just really wanted to cuddle / bury his head in me. We got him to get up and we comforted him and pet him a bunch. I confirmed he was breathing but was taking really short breaths, and I made sure he didn't have a blockage in his throat. I took him to get some water and walk around outside and he was back to normal after that. This morning he seems 100% fine and like his usual self. I'm not sure if he was really scared from a nightmare or something, or if there is anything to be worried about medically? I'm curious if anyone has ideas or has a dog that has done something similar.

Some background info - He has always had allergies (one runny eye, sneezing several times a day) but nothing extreme. It's actually gotten better since we moved from Portland OR to San Diego. He also reverse sneezes every once in a while. He had a checkup a year ago and the vet said he was in great health. He is about 10 years old, a Lab/Husky/American Bulldog mix.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Ainsley posted:

We're planning a trip out to the countryside in a few weeks (up to a lake in Connecticut) where the ticks are apparently more plentiful than oxygen, just begging for the chance to crawl up on our pupper. He's going in for his last vaccinations on Friday and his vet and I had talked about giving him the Lyme disease vaccine at the same time, but does the thread have any particular "we cannot live without this!" or "stay the hell away from this!" on tick collars/sprays/whatever? that we could give as extra protection?

I haven't used tick repellant yet but I asked about after my dog picked up a couple while camping. Let us know what you end up using because I'm curious.

I asked a chewable/topical and my vet didn't recommend that because we don't live an area where ticks are a problem. She said the Frontline spray was effective but I would need to reapply if I wanted to use it over the weekend. (I'm not 100% positive how long an application lasts.) She said a lot of her patients use collars (I have forgotten the brands she recommended so I'm not much help there) but told me they can take up to a week of wearing for maximum effectiveness, so that's something to think about when planning your trip.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The good poo poo tick collars (at least in my area) are seresto collars. They last 6-8 months so they might be overkill for just a vacation and some parasites are resistant I guess. Best bet would to be talking to your vet, especially if they are familiar with the region you are going. I put a seresto collar on my dog when I see the first tick in the spring and I don't see any again until I need a new one the next year. It doesn't have a smell or make him greasy or anything.

There's also the scalibor collar but that seems pretty new and I haven't heard much about it. What I have heard has been good though.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
We live on a pretty wooded lot in Connecticut and my dogs were bringing in ticks pretty consistently when they were on the Nexgard chewable. The chewables require the tick to actually bite before it will die. I took them off that and went to the Advantix topical 2 months ago and since then I've only seen a single tick that hadn't attached yet. It's a minor pain since my dogs wrestle quite a bit, I need to keep them separated for a few hours after application so they don't lick the product off of each other but it's a small price to pay once a month for no ticks on them or in the house. I've heard some reports of skin irritation from the topicals but mine haven't shown any reaction at all. They also both have the Lyme vaccine.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

you guys just got trolled!! fyad troll!! :boom:

this is a :siren::siren:T R O L L P O S T:siren::siren: and :ninja:you guys are the victims :grin::ninja:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

pog boyfriend posted:

this is a :siren::siren:T R O L L P O S T:siren::siren: and :ninja:you guys are the victims :grin::ninja:

HOLY gently caress :supaburn:

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

pog boyfriend posted:

Epic Win.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
small dog thread hit archives so i'm going to post about my small dog here instead

this is butler, for those who don't know him:

he's a mini fox terrier with something close to 30 confirmed rat kills:

(those ones are babies, but they still count)

last night he kicked it up a notch and killed a rattus norvegicus, or sewer rat, for the first time. i'm grossly excited about this because it was on highly favorable terrain for the rat and he showed that he's still learning - he drove the rat into the water, but instead of losing interest he watched until it came back up and killed it before it could reach safety.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I remember Butler and he is a good dog, he's turned into a smaller version of our retired working border collie who has foxie in her. :D This is legit the best photo I have that has her at the same angle as butler but you can see the ludicrous oversized ears (plus bonus ratting dog who has no kills but is ready for rats, squirrels, cats, that enormous husky across the road...)

Look they even have the same lop sided face markings.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

learnincurve posted:

Look they even have the same lop sided face markings.

That's a happy doggo right there. 11/10.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
that is an uncanny resemblance

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I am really worried about my pup. He is 3 years old and yesterday morning for the first time he had a series of tremors. His head was shaking like a bobble head for about a minute, then he would stop then 5 mins later it would start again. He was on and off for about 45 minutes. I took him to the vet who gave a general health check and I showed him a video of one of the tremors. The vet said that'll sometimes these can be a one off reaction to something in the environment ( dog had just returned from a walk when it happened) but if they keep happening tests will be needed including MRI scan to check if there are underlying problems.

I am so worried about my dog and can't stop thinking the worst. Was wondering if anyone else had dealt with similar issues? Going crazy here :-(

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Finally after 10 years I have a reason to post in PI. I got my first pet!

This is Kanga. She is apparently an Australian Cattle Dog. Anywhere from 6mo-1yr. old. She is a very good doggo!
The OP states-
This thread is for puppy problems and new owner problems .This means that if your question revolves around a dog under the age of two, post away. Likewise, if you just adopted a shelter dog and are having issues with housetraining, you’re in the right place!
Well I'm definitely in the right spot! I had pet ownership thrust upon me. It's not something I regret, but I'm very nervous still after a few days. I feel like I'm dating a new girl or something it's weird. I think the amount of responsibility is still pretty scary! But when you look at it realistically, it's not really difficult to take care of a dog.

Kanga was left in the parking lot of a Petsmart in a very affluent area of town. Our guess is that someone got her from a breeder, and tried to house a cattle dog with a lot of energy in one of the McMansions which are the only housing surrounding this area of town for miles. They might have left her there, or she might have been lost.
A customer brought her inside, and one of the groomers was being a foster owner for a few weeks. She took Kanga to the vet, and the vet confirmed she thought she was a aussie cattle dog 1 yr old (but she still has puppy teeth so..) She was also totally healthy yay! They did not find a microchip.
The foster owner posted ads on Craigslist, inside Petsmart, and on social media asking if anyone knew who the dog belonged to. She made flyers too. After two weeks, no one responded to her ads, and the dog was living in her 1 bedroom apt. living in the bathroom while she was working full time everyday. Obviously the dog was struggling in those small confines, and she asked me if I could take the dog until either the owner was found, or I decide to adopt it.
Since I'm retired, I have a huge yard, I go running all the time, and I've been looking forward to getting a dog for awhile - I decided to adopt her. That was a few days ago, and I'm still nervous around the poor thing. Thankfully she is just the most chill dog around.
I just wanted to introduce us and say I look forward to bothering this thread and the training thread for a lot of help! The OP is incredible, thanks, so you prolly wont hear from us for awhile unless it gets confusing. Dogs are the best.

I'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow. Before I do - she is having problems making GBS threads. She's got diarrhea and she isn't having a good time taking a poop like dogs do. She's struggling. Anything I can do for her in the interim before she gets to the vet? I think maybe she's just nervous getting acclimated to her new surroundings. Maybe just an upset tummy.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 15, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

hi dog friend.

First off dont worry too much.

just be fine with the fact puppies are boxes of springs and stuff.

they try to eat everything and anything so just pay attention.

make sure to try to emphasize soft mouth. (just google it)

looks nice just dont stress it that much but remember its way easier to train early than train late.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dennis McClaren posted:

Finally after 10 years I have a reason to post in PI. I got my first pet!

This is Kanga. She is apparently an Australian Cattle Dog. Anywhere from 6mo-1yr. old. She is a very good doggo!
The OP states-
This thread is for puppy problems and new owner problems .This means that if your question revolves around a dog under the age of two, post away. Likewise, if you just adopted a shelter dog and are having issues with housetraining, you’re in the right place!
Well I'm definitely in the right spot! I had pet ownership thrust upon me. It's not something I regret, but I'm very nervous still after a few days. I feel like I'm dating a new girl or something it's weird. I think the amount of responsibility is still pretty scary! But when you look at it realistically, it's not really difficult to take care of a dog.

Kanga was left in the parking lot of a Petsmart in a very affluent area of town. Our guess is that someone got her from a breeder, and tried to house a cattle dog with a lot of energy in one of the McMansions which are the only housing surrounding this area of town for miles. They might have left her there, or she might have been lost.
A customer brought her inside, and one of the groomers was being a foster owner for a few weeks. She took Kanga to the vet, and the vet confirmed she thought she was a aussie cattle dog 1 yr old (but she still has puppy teeth so..) She was also totally healthy yay! They did not find a microchip.
The foster owner posted ads on Craigslist, inside Petsmart, and on social media asking if anyone knew who the dog belonged to. She made flyers too. After two weeks, no one responded to her ads, and the dog was living in her 1 bedroom apt. living in the bathroom while she was working full time everyday. Obviously the dog was struggling in those small confines, and she asked me if I could take the dog until either the owner was found, or I decide to adopt it.
Since I'm retired, I have a huge yard, I go running all the time, and I've been looking forward to getting a dog for awhile - I decided to adopt her. That was a few days ago, and I'm still nervous around the poor thing. Thankfully she is just the most chill dog around.
I just wanted to introduce us and say I look forward to bothering this thread and the training thread for a lot of help! The OP is incredible, thanks, so you prolly wont hear from us for awhile unless it gets confusing. Dogs are the best.

I'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow. Before I do - she is having problems making GBS threads. She's got diarrhea and she isn't having a good time taking a poop like dogs do. She's struggling. Anything I can do for her in the interim before she gets to the vet? I think maybe she's just nervous getting acclimated to her new surroundings. Maybe just an upset tummy.

Congrats on joining the dog club, she's beautiful! If she still has puppy teeth I'd say it's highly unlikely she's a year old. Dogs typically have all their adult teeth by around 6 months or so. The diarrhea isn't terribly unusual, especially in a new environment. Still bring a stool sample to the vet though so they can check for parasites. Anyway it sounds like you're well on the way to success. Keep us posted! (And post pics :3:)

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Dennis McClaren posted:

but I'm very nervous still after a few days.

This seems pretty normal, speaking from what I experienced bringing home my first dog ever and talking with some other people I know. I don't think it gets mentioned enough.

I think I spent the first whole week wondering if I made a huge mistake. I never felt like that with my cats, probably because I grew up with a cat always in the house. I didn't feel like that when I got the second dog. Probably because I was better prepared.

quote:

I'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow. Before I do - she is having problems making GBS threads. She's got diarrhea and she isn't having a good time taking a poop like dogs do. She's struggling. Anything I can do for her in the interim before she gets to the vet?

I don't have any advice for this, especially since you can ask your vet tomorrow. But I will say both my dogs had this problem initially but it cleared up when they got acclimated to their new home and new food. I tried gradually transitioning Dog1 from the shelter food to a different food but she still ended up with the shits. I didn't get a take home bag of food with Dog2 but she was fine for a few days. She did end up having the shits the day I took her to the vet. I think it may have been from the stress.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

GoodBee posted:

This seems pretty normal, speaking from what I experienced bringing home my first dog ever and talking with some other people I know. I don't think it gets mentioned enough.

I think I spent the first whole week wondering if I made a huge mistake. I never felt like that with my cats, probably because I grew up with a cat always in the house. I didn't feel like that when I got the second dog. Probably because I was better prepared.
Well this is actually very encouraging to hear. I don't feel so awkward and alone in this lol.

Seperate question- I've never been to the vet with my own dog before. I read the OP on picking a vet, but what it didn't mention is what I'm in for. Since we don't know if Doggo has had her Vacc., shots, treatments, etc. I'm wondering what I should walk in with besides a bag of dog poo poo (lol because of the diarrhea). Do you just let them know you have a new dog that you want to get the "beginner's package" for? I assume they will know what to do, I'm just curious.

Also, what sort of cost will a first vet visit usually run? The finances are no problem , I'm just wondering what I should be prepared to spend. I'm going to feel very relieved when I know she's been properly Shot full of Doggy Autism drugs ;) We're in an area with a lot of mosquitoes in Texas, so I need to get her on heartworm prevention asap.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Dennis McClaren posted:

Seperate question- I've never been to the vet with my own dog before. I read the OP on picking a vet, but what it didn't mention is what I'm in for. Since we don't know if Doggo has had her Vacc., shots, treatments, etc. I'm wondering what I should walk in with besides a bag of dog poo poo (lol because of the diarrhea). Do you just let them know you have a new dog that you want to get the "beginner's package" for? I assume they will know what to do, I'm just curious.

Also, what sort of cost will a first vet visit usually run? The finances are no problem , I'm just wondering what I should be prepared to spend. I'm going to feel very relieved when I know she's been properly Shot full of Doggy Autism drugs ;) We're in an area with a lot of mosquitoes in Texas, so I need to get her on heartworm prevention asap.

Both my dogs were from shelters so I had a sheet with their shot records. The shelters won't let pets leave without a full round of recommended shots plus deworming plus spaying/neutering plus microchipping. All that included in an adoption fee is a drat good deal. My cats were acquired through the "find a cat, put cat in house, now you have a cat" method but that was ages ago.

You're probably looking at an exam fee, which seems to run between $35-50, at least for my location. You'll need a rabies shot and other vaccinations, which probably vary in cost based on the weight of the animal. Then you might be offer a kennel cough vaccine, shelters give it because they've got so many animals in close proximity to each other. My vet recommends it on a yearly basis if you want to bring your dog to the dog park, and most boarding and doggy daycare places require it every 6 months. It's probably $10-30-ish for each vaccine and you've probably got at least 3. You'll probably get a deworming treatment or a lab test on your stool sample, then a deworming treatment if it comes back positive for anything. You'll also probably want a heartworm test and then your vet will recommend a heartworm prevention/treatment.

My vet recommended Advantage Multi for my dogs with unknown heartworm status. It can take up to 6 months for heartworms to appear on the test. We couldn't even test my Dog2 since she was too wiggly to get a blood sample. Your vet can give you the options.

Then you've got your spaying whenever you schedule it.

A lot of vets take Care Credit if your interested in playing over time without interest.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

GoodBee posted:

Both my dogs were from shelters so I had a sheet with their shot records. The shelters won't let pets leave without a full round of recommended shots plus deworming plus spaying/neutering plus microchipping. All that included in an adoption fee is a drat good deal. My cats were acquired through the "find a cat, put cat in house, now you have a cat" method but that was ages ago.

You're probably looking at an exam fee, which seems to run between $35-50, at least for my location. You'll need a rabies shot and other vaccinations, which probably vary in cost based on the weight of the animal. Then you might be offer a kennel cough vaccine, shelters give it because they've got so many animals in close proximity to each other. My vet recommends it on a yearly basis if you want to bring your dog to the dog park, and most boarding and doggy daycare places require it every 6 months. It's probably $10-30-ish for each vaccine and you've probably got at least 3. You'll probably get a deworming treatment or a lab test on your stool sample, then a deworming treatment if it comes back positive for anything. You'll also probably want a heartworm test and then your vet will recommend a heartworm prevention/treatment.

I know about that amazing offer the shelter's have here in town as well! If I had gone the typical adoption route I would have surely gone to my local shelter, if for nothing else than the amazing healthcare your dog gets on the cheap, walking out the door.

It looks like maybe $200-$300 for everything then based on your description. If that's accurate, then that's really pretty economical. I was under the impression vet's were much more expensive, but first time pet owner here so that's good news!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Dennis McClaren posted:

I know about that amazing offer the shelter's have here in town as well! If I had gone the typical adoption route I would have surely gone to my local shelter, if for nothing else than the amazing healthcare your dog gets on the cheap, walking out the door.

It looks like maybe $200-$300 for everything then based on your description. If that's accurate, then that's really pretty economical. I was under the impression vet's were much more expensive, but first time pet owner here so that's good news!

It can add up but it's not bad if you have a reasonable idea what to expect. Not sure what spaying runs. I could see it running anywhere between $50-150. It's been a long time since I got my cats fixed, prices vary by location and it might cost more for a larger animal, simply because of more anesthesia. 6 months of Advantage Multi was $200-250, I forget because it wasn't the only thing on my bill at the time.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Oh goodness what a cute pupper. Everyone else's info has been on point but I just wanted to mention that she's definitely not a (purebred at least) cattle dog. Cattle dogs are white with heavy ticking, she's a solid merle which is a whole different thing. She's absolutely gorgeous though. Some sort of merle corgi cross maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Oh yeah, that was just the previous owners guess as to the breed. I guess she could be anything. She does act like a herding breed.
Her coat is beautiful though. It's such a strange Blue Grey on a dog.