Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Even so, the case numbers in the UK, England especially, are exploding and Boris and his govt are very reluctant to impose strict lockdowns.
Plus Brexit is going to happen in January, it’s not a good place to be right now. It’s going to be a bad winter.

Actually excuse me while I go and have a panic attack about my family there who I won’t be able to see until at least 2022. If at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

AceOfFlames posted:

Why the gently caress are people in such a rush to get married? It's 2020. Marriage is a piece of loving paper.

Unless you're LGBT where it becomes much more of a symbol of equality but still. Cis het marriages are a meaningless gesture.

They might seem meaningless but there's a huge legal aspect to marriage where it's needed in our hell world of the US. People can't generally get on their partners health care plans unless they're married, they don't have protections for alimony, it's near on impossible to access another person's bank account or even their body if they should pass without legal help unless you're married, people can't make decisions on their partner's healthcare if they're incapacitated

I'm sure there's other legal crap I'm forgetting about but I'm tired because my jerk cat woke me up a 5am

If you look at marriage in the US as a contract between two people and less like the traditional Christians use the union it has some need even for cis het folks. Not saying it should be like this but currently it is

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Helith posted:

Actually excuse me while I go and have a panic attack about my family there who I won’t be able to see until at least 2022. If at all.

"Holiday here this year, because you don't have a loving choice"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voIUpdjcqRk

Also be subservient to your wife

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I keep thinking about this article

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/03/style/am-i-drinking-too-much.html

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

tbf it would be absolutely scary if trump (who probably had and is still having the best unprecedented healthcare made possible for someone with covid in 2020) actually died immediately which means all the latest stuff don't work

It's not like the average person has access to the "latest stuff" or anywhere close to the level of care Trump received over the full course of his illness, so this is scary in only an abstract sense. The vast majority of people don't have access to any care at all during the crucial initial stage of the disease, and are basically on their own until they're at risk of imminent death without hospital care.

This is of course nothing new, just the usual inequality in the provision of healthcare dialed up a bit. Now people with even "good" insurance don't have access to timely care.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

im horny 4 virus

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

"Holiday here this year, because you don't have a loving choice"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voIUpdjcqRk

Also be subservient to your wife

Good news about the holiday season

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1315502538452467713

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Nocturtle posted:

It's not like the average person has access to the "latest stuff" or anywhere close to the level of care Trump received over the full course of his illness, so this is scary in only an abstract sense. The vast majority of people don't have access to any care at all during the crucial initial stage of the disease, and are basically on their own until they're at risk of imminent death without hospital care.

This is of course nothing new, just the usual inequality in the provision of healthcare dialed up a bit. Now people with even "good" insurance don't have access to timely care.
If they ever did (which often they didn't).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
GIVE ME THE RICH PEOPLE SECRET MEDICINE

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

no .

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Mr Hootington posted:

Sure, it's: feeding on the misery of the poor

Edit: I realize now that you meant their secret COVID-19 medicine, so the REAL answer is: injections with the blood of the infected poor, so technically less ghoul and more vampire.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 12:47 on Oct 12, 2020

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I would have stayed in Vancouver if I wanted god drat rain. Get your poo poo together, earth.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1315308264549089285?s=21

my progressive paradise

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Isn't it just getting tested daily so you can treat corona before it turns your lungs into cheese curds

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Shageletic posted:

Isn't it just getting tested daily so you can treat corona before it turns your lungs into cheese curds

I would like the stem cells and adrenocrome

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Shageletic posted:

also the ability to get a hospital bed with just a positive test instead of "oh wait and come back if it gets bad"

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1315621420886626304?s=19

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Just realised I've been in lockdown for over 200 days. That sucks rear end.

232 days for us

We got a positive pregnancy test back mid February, my wife has been pregnant The. Entire. Pandemic. No family will be allowed in the delivery room besides me

The only plus side if that preggers Mrs. Hadlock has been able to work from home the entire pregnancy, which has been really nice starting second trimester

Fun covid pregnancy facts

- 3% of all women, ages 0-99 are pregnant at any time
- Pregnant women are immuno compromised
- Organ transplant drugs that suppress your immune system, are developed from the same chemicals pregnant women secrete to keep their immune system from attacking the baby (babies, by definition are 50% foreign dna, except pod people clones)

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Hadlock posted:

232 days for us

We got a positive pregnancy test back mid February, my wife has been pregnant The. Entire. Pandemic. No family will be allowed in the delivery room besides me

The only plus side if that preggers Mrs. Hadlock has been able to work from home the entire pregnancy, which has been really nice starting second trimester

Fun covid pregnancy facts

- 3% of all women, ages 0-99 are pregnant at any time
- Pregnant women are immuno compromised
- Organ transplant drugs that suppress your immune system, are developed from the same chemicals pregnant women secrete to keep their immune system from attacking the baby (babies, by definition are 50% foreign dna, except pod people clones)

Lol, same down to the start date.

What a shitshow, but at least she got WFH as well.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Joey Steel posted:

Lol, same down to the start date.

What a shitshow, but at least she got WFH as well.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Disease & Disaster > C-SPAM: it means clown spam > [COVID-19 FALL] goons cumming together

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Thanks to the pandemic, Jair Bolsonaro's popularity numbers have surged to a new extreme high, because he's been paying a monthly stimulus to 67 million Brazilians since April

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/oct/10/jair-bolsonaro-brazil-coronavirus-aid

kater
Nov 16, 2010

didnt we know the thing could survive for a month from the cruise shitters? the only question was if it was still infectious ? why didnt the scientists huff it and find out

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Thanks to the pandemic, Jair Bolsonaro's popularity numbers have surged to a new extreme high, because he's been paying a monthly stimulus to 67 million Brazilians since April

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/oct/10/jair-bolsonaro-brazil-coronavirus-aid

someone tweet this at trump and let’s get paaaaaid

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sure they are

https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1315626739335417857?s=21

Not even sure Mitch returns trumps calls anymore

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

Sure they are

yeah but it forces them to go on TV and say "sorry we're evil ghouls, no money for hungry people". its fun to make them embarrass themselves

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Happy Thread posted:

Everyone should consider getting this 3M respirator from ebay. It's much cheaper, and it's the one I use every day so I can vouch for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224042126108

The cartridges are tear gas proof in addition to COVID proof --- p100 filters remove even smaller particles than n95. It does have a nice round protrusion for its exhalation valve so you can easily seal that off with rubber band + paper towel. Others don't.

Reusable forever for only $40. In non industrial settings where you're not breathing solvents all day it will never get clogged. Lightly bleach with a paper towel and dry it before you put it on every day to disinfect it, making sure not to get the actual filter innards wet. Wear it much looser than you think you need or you'll hurt your face. Do the seal test to make sure, but it will still seal fine if you have it lined up right.

Thanks, just ordered one.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shageletic posted:

They gave trump the max dose of Regeneron's antibody cocktail that's barely in trials, so he absolutely got something the average schmuck can't get.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

FizFashizzle posted:

Sure they are

If the senate blows him off, it means the party is cutting him loose.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hey, covid-having-had goons, what does the loss of taste and smell feel like?

I woke up at 5AM and realized I couldn't smell the night air. So I went into the bathroom and sprayed some strong air freshener; if I bent my face into it I could *just* smell it but it didn't linger. I went and ate a maple cookie followed by some dark chocolate (might as well live it up), and the cookie tasted sweet, and the chocolate tasted sweet and bitter.

So. Welp. Is this what happened to you?

No fever, no cough, blood oxygenation is at a robust 97% per home finger thingy. I'm scared.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nothus posted:

If the senate blows him off, it means the party is cutting him loose.

Tillis already said in the debates with cal Cunningham that we needed a gop senate to stop biden.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

r.i.p.

legalzoom does last will and testament stuff for like $50 might want to look into that

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Here's a fun thought. If Trump's recovery is as rapid as he claims, and it's due to the antibody/drug cocktail they gave him, it's possible that he doesn't have robust immune memory of the virus (due to the antibodies inactivating and clearing the virus before his own adaptive immune response could recognize it and ramp-up), and thus is still susceptible to reinfection :twisted:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I woke up at 5AM and realized I couldn't smell the night air. So I went into the bathroom and sprayed some strong air freshener; if I bent my face into it I could *just* smell it but it didn't linger. I went and ate a maple cookie followed by some dark chocolate (might as well live it up), and the cookie tasted sweet, and the chocolate tasted sweet and bitter.

No fever, no cough, blood oxygenation is at a robust 97% per home finger thingy. I'm scared.

Failing to smell the night air then diagnosing it by eating biter chocolate is a very Victorian plague diary

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Failing to smell the night air then diagnosing it by eating biter chocolate is a very Victorian plague diary

(coughs delicately into a handkerchief)

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

poo poo in ur hand, sniff, then report back.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Gio posted:

poo poo in ur hand, sniff, then report back.

this is also victorian

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
on wedding chat, it looks like the high-risk wedding my wife and i skipped went off fine and nobody got sick - in all the pics posted you can see the usual high-risk behaviors (no masks, hugging, kissing, mixed tables, dancing, group karaoke where they all crowd around one microphone and sing as loud as they can into it and each other's faces, etc)

we thought we would get more blowback (we did get some) as this is extended family but my wife was super smart and rather then making it about their coronavirus measures she just told them she worked in a high-risk job and they had positive cases at her job so we weren't coming to keep everyone safe (also actually true in this case)

highly recommend this type of bow-out if you get pressured and can't just say fuk u because it's literally 75% of your extended family and you need to deal w/ them for the rest of your lives

one funny/terrifying lol is my wife's grandma told us she is "quarantining" to be safe after the wedding because she is scared of the virus. she has visited five different groups of people while on quarantine and has had three other groups of people over at her tiny apartment, she also stayed at a family member's house for two days. "oh don't worry they're very clean!" is her excuse. the woman was on a respirator a few years ago for pneumonia and has a totally trashed immune system/lungs. we of course told her she is a dumbass but she just laughs it off.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

huff your farts and report back

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I've seen folks in this thread mention that 90% of covid-19 infected have long term symptoms. Is there a source for that? I've read very little on the topic despite presumably impacting at least 20 million or so Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

I've seen folks in this thread mention that 90% of covid-19 infected have long term symptoms. Is there a source for that? I've read very little on the topic despite presumably impacting at least 20 million or so Americans.

i dont remember reading its that high, but its not uncommon. my uncle and a colleague who had it both have lost their sense of smell and taste.