Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hellraiser: Bloodline is really good

oof I feel exposed here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
The best final girl in history is actually the girls from Sick (2022) and they would defeat Sarah Connor and Erin from You're Next in a cage match

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
there are no good friday the 13th movies

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm adding all of this stuff to the spreadsheet so don't think you can just say it and nobody is gonna remember it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Jason X is fantastic.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Shorty is the most fuckable of the Killer Klowns because the pizza box scene demonstrates he can fit into tight spaces and then enlarge himself, which leads to all sorts of erotic possi-- no stop he said we could post whatever!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I'm adding all of this stuff to the spreadsheet so don't think you can just say it and nobody is gonna remember it

The protagonists of Triangle (2009) and Coherence (2013) were girlbosses and completely justified in all of their actions

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
House of 1000 Corpses is better than The Devil's Rejects.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Ooo this is a fun one

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

my fiance is 100% on board with this take. she may even be winning me over, i don't know...

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
The Relic is a good movie because it takes place in a museum. A museum is a perfect movie setting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

anyway Mia Goth's best horror film is A Cure for Wellness

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

BrownPepper posted:

The Relic is a good movie because it takes place in a museum. A museum is a perfect movie setting.

especially at night. hollywood, get on it!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my fiance is 100% on board with this take. she may even be winning me over, i don't know...

For a good while I tended to dance around it like I'd say "I enjoy rewatching House of 1000 Corpses more." or "House of 1000 Corpses is more fun" but since we're putting it all out there I'll just come clean and say House of 1000 Corpses is better.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Horror movies made between 1990-2010 are Bad, Actually. The minor handful of exceptions does not change this fact.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

they should make a criterion collection release of Jason X

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Horror movies made between 19902000-2010 are Bad, Actually. The minor handful of exceptions does not change this fact.

fixed

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

VROOM VROOM posted:

The entire Benson/Moorhead lovely Carl Cinematic Universe is found footage

B&M and Ti West definitely have some found footage influence. I’d say Peele too. I couldn’t super follow the levels of that conversation but I did want to say that.

Basebf555 posted:

Stink Billyums posted:

there are no good friday the 13th movies
I proudly and defiantly agree.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I proudly and defiantly agree.

Don't worry, this particular "opinion" of yours has been noted on the spreadsheet many times

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

there's no such thing as "scanners", that guy's head just did that

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Don't worry, this particular "opinion" of yours has been noted on the spreadsheet many times

Yeah I don’t feel like I have too many secret hot takes left.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate in scary clown movies where the clown has actually scary makeup, like in the IT reboot. The point of a clown and coulrophobia is that they are supposed to exude joy and innocence because of their job, so the disconnect comes in their behaviour seeming counter to that. Seeing someone with a massive grin literally painted on their face breaking down into tears or a violent rage is rather creepy because of how they look (they're supposed to be happy), so if they already have scary paint then it spoils the effect because you EXPECT evil out of them. Tim Curry's Pennywise looks enticing and colourful, he looks like someone a child might be convinced to trust. The reboot one does not.

Basically it relies on the idea that there's nothing sadder than a failed joke. If someone is actively trying to make you laugh and failing, that's a level on discomfort on the level of any jigsaw trap.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 30, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if Pennywise is so untrustworthy then why do i trust him

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if Pennywise is so untrustworthy then why do i trust him

Because Pennywise is Pound foolish.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pennywise is only trying to lure in like some little kids though and he does tone it down at those times. His whole thing is to gently caress with people and scare them and I’d argue that the hosed up clown is more effective at that with the old kids.

Besides Tim Curry’s Pennywise was always intended to be more hosed up. It was Curry himself that hated the prosthetics and convinced them he could just make it work with his performance. Which of course he did but that’s because Curry is brilliant.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This thread is post-hog

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

sad question posted:

scary macaronis

I wish it was still made, but as a kid I loved this box mac & cheese knockoff where the pasta was in the shape of the classic Universal monsters and it was a chicken sauce instead of cheese.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

B&M and Ti West definitely have some found footage influence. I’d say Peele too. I couldn’t super follow the levels of that conversation but I did want to say that.
The first three there have all done segments in the V/H/S series, as have Ti West and Joe Swanberg, who acted in You're Next which was made by Adam Wingard+Simon Barrett, who also made multiple V/H/S segments...other notable V/H/S creators include Nacho Vigalondo (Timecrimes), the Radio Silence team (Ready or Not/Scream 5+6), Timo Tjahjanto (May the Devil Take You/The Night Comes For Us), and Gareth Evans (Apostle, The Raid series)

so yeah there's a lot of ~mumblecore~/found footage crossover and those guys have their hands in everything these days. I'm not too read up on how Peele fits into everything, but this does remind me that photography/filmmaking are prominent element in at least two of his movies, which ties into the theme that every B/M joint beats over your head of the creation and recording of meaning (whether through film or other means)

also Resolution is literally a found footage movie

okay back to goofyposting. uhhhh how about :

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

and Brittany Snow's best horror film is Would You Rather

e: Jenna Ortega's is, of course, The Babysitter 2
e2: Samara Weaving's is Happy Death Day

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Peele of course is a sketch comedy guy, "Adult Swim" type horror has its proudest exponent in the form of Ari Aster, who came to infamy with a short film that's basically a Loiter Squad segment.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Peele of course is a sketch comedy guy, "Adult Swim" type horror has its proudest exponent in the form of Ari Aster, who came to infamy with a short film that's basically a Loiter Squad segment.

That's a cool connection I hadn't thought of.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Legend of the Stardust Brothers has an elaborate visual effects sequence with all sorts of gory monsters, you horror fans will like it and should watch it, it's July's movie of the month! You will watch it!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4035491

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Evil Dead 2 is the only unequivocally good Sam Raimi film.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I actually enjoy The Evil Dead more than Evil Dead.

It has a kind of amateur exuberance that many have compared to The Legend of the Stardust Brothers, July's movie of the month.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this is true, except for the rest of his movies

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Breaks my heart to see people dumping on Crimewave.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Rob Zombie is an irredeemable hack as a filmmaker.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Giallos aren’t horror, they’re just dumb thrillers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

STAC Goat posted:

Giallos aren’t horror, they’re just dumb thrillers.

I am being attacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Exorcist is a worse movie than either The Exorcist 2 or The Exorcist 3