Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

You've reached the big time man.

Local wal mart this morning. MIDDLE TOP SHELF.

Take a bow my friend, take a bow.
:toot: At last, Ndy McDerm gets the recognition he deserves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
I always make sure to buy Cindy McDerms books. She males everything explode. Everything!

Fake ed: yes, payndz, I know your own joke was better^^^

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I like that they put it next to Harlequin Romance.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Thread necromancy, but which is generally regarded as the best Jack Reacher book? Or if you are a fan, which is your personal favourite?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

None of the Reacher books jump out to me as the 'BEST' most of them are pretty solid reads though. The first 3 books are really good, out of those 3 I think I liked the 3rd, Tripwire the best. I like the ones that have people from his former life in them. Bad Luck and Trouble stands out as good as well.

My least favorite Reacher books are Echo Burning and Nothing to Lose. Echo Burning was a chore to get through, and I didn't care for Nothing to Lose at all.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
The recent film was based on "One Shot". Both are good.

Scotsman
Jun 9, 2002

Persuader is best. Anyone who disagrees needs to go a few rounds with Paulie.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Cool, will investigate. Thanks for the tips.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I personally liked the first one, killing floor, and one shot the best.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

Scotsman posted:

Persuader is best. Anyone who disagrees needs to go a few rounds with Paulie.

Seconding this with muscles honed digging ditches

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Just finished Reilly's Temple. Picked it up because a friend said it gave him "echoes of Saints Row". He was definitely correcrt, I certainly wasn't expecting the parallel to be friggin' Air Steelport.

I see why this thread uses that guy as a gauge now. Should look up more of his things.

I read up to...#7 I think of Payndz's stuff, towards the end the ratios of explosions to relationship angst skewed a bit too far in the wrong direction. Though I have been told it swings back the other way, so I will probably look up the next ones. And see if the walmart I work at has the new unrelated one.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
As that friend, I have to say that as much as I enjoyed Temple, I feel I was led astray by this thread. It was far more coherent than you goons had caused me to believe. I was expecting an even mixture of explosions, exclamation marks, and chaos. Instead, I got the adventures of a 16th century monk (and it was awesome). I have high hopes for Ice Station and Area 7.

The thing with Nina & Eddie World Tour is that in the second half of the series (as released in the US; haven't read The Valhalla Prophecy yet, looking forward to it), there's actual, like, plot and stuff going on with characters, that gets laid down in advance and takes entire books to develop, so you can read a single book and not see the payoff for all it lays out. And I want Sophia Blackwood to come back from the grave as some kind of Terminator. She is the best villain.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Vavrek posted:

As that friend, I have to say that as much as I enjoyed Temple, I feel I was led astray by this thread. It was far more coherent than you goons had caused me to believe. I was expecting an even mixture of explosions, exclamation marks, and chaos. Instead, I got the adventures of a 16th century monk (and it was awesome). I have high hopes for Ice Station and Area 7.

The thing with Nina & Eddie World Tour is that in the second half of the series (as released in the US; haven't read The Valhalla Prophecy yet, looking forward to it), there's actual, like, plot and stuff going on with characters, that gets laid down in advance and takes entire books to develop, so you can read a single book and not see the payoff for all it lays out. And I want Sophia Blackwood to come back from the grave as some kind of Terminator. She is the best villain.

7 Deadly Wonders is the Gold Reilly standard.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Isn't that the one where the leader of the team of good guys burns his arm off in a lava trap to flip a switch?

Cause if it is, that book is so loving batshit crazy it flips over into awesome again.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Vavrek posted:

The thing with Nina & Eddie World Tour is that in the second half of the series (as released in the US; haven't read The Valhalla Prophecy yet, looking forward to it), there's actual, like, plot and stuff going on with characters, that gets laid down in advance and takes entire books to develop, so you can read a single book and not see the payoff for all it lays out.
Oh god, the stick I got from some people for the ending of Empire Of Gold. How dare I leave plot threads open in my ongoing series!

quote:

And I want Sophia Blackwood to come back from the grave as some kind of Terminator. She is the best villain.
She has a cameo in The Valhalla Prophecy. :toot:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Is it Ice Station by Reilly that has the literal killer killer whales in the antarctic? I don't even think thats the dumbest thing in the novel. I was about 16 when I read that and god did I think it was retarded, but looking back I really have to admire the conviction of a man to not only come up with that idea but put it down on paper for others to see.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

New recommendation for people yearning for some more WW3 'Red Storm Rising' type action.

Harvey Black

A trilogy about an alternative history World War 3 gone hot. Starts with The Red effect, then The Black effect and concludes with the just published The Blue effect

I've read the first two and really enjoyed them, as i said the third has just been published so it's on my too-read list but i'm pretty confident it'll be good based on the first two. They're pretty cheap on Kindle too.

The author really knows his stuff. Apparently he was a cold war officer and parachutist, inclusing spending time with BRIXMIS, who if you don't know, were basicaly semi-legal spys. Wiki has a good summary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRIXMIS#British_MLM

Edit: Transposed the order of the first two books, corrected.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 14, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Is it Ice Station by Reilly that has the literal killer killer whales in the antarctic? I don't even think thats the dumbest thing in the novel. I was about 16 when I read that and god did I think it was retarded, but looking back I really have to admire the conviction of a man to not only come up with that idea but put it down on paper for others to see.

Nope Killer SEALS!!!!!

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Deptfordx posted:

New recommendation for people yearning for some more WW3 'Red Storm Rising' type action.

Harvey Black

A trilogy about an alternative history World War 3 gone hot. Starts with The black effect, then The red effect and concludes with the just published The blue effect

I've read the first two and really enjoyed them, as i said the third has just been published so it's on my too-read list but i'm pretty confident it'll be good based on the first two. They're pretty cheap on Kindle too.

The author really knows his stuff. Apparently he was a cold war officer and parachutist, inclusing spending time with BRIXMIS, who if you don't know, were basicaly semi-legal spys. Wiki has a good summary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRIXMIS#British_MLM

Amazon seems to say The Red Effect is the first and The Black Effect is second. The publishing dates seem to bear this out.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

My bad, double checked and you're right.

Correct order is Red-->Black-->Blue Effect

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Has Steve Alten been mentioned yet? On the second "Meg" series book now and drat, it's some good airport material. Megalodon has survived as a species in the mariana trench, trapped below the cold layer above, and some guys accidentally drag one out of there. Of course bloody chaos ensues. Fast paced and has some decently written characters in it. The occasional exclamation point where it's not really needed gives it a bit of a Reilly-vibe.

If you're looking for a sixty foot shark leaping out of the water to try to grab a loving helicopter or a guy literally cutting a Megalodon's heart out from inside after he got swallowed like motherfucking Jonah this is what you want.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The Meg series is at least 7 Reillys

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't the pressure difference just make the shark explode?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
7 Reillys covers a multitude of stupid.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Wouldn't the pressure difference just make the shark explode?

According to the book, it had to do with the size of its liver (?!).

Was reading a bit about deep diving whales, and there's one whale that can survive going down to 3,000 meters and back.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cool. I just remember watching a documentary on deep fishing, and the subs they used had these special little trap things for when they catch angler fish, cause when they bring em towards the surface they go POP. They built these little super plexiglass cage things to contain the water and fish at the right pressure so they live.

Just kinda made me wonder how a shark would go from way down at the bottom to the top without looking like a puffer fish.

Dunno how a liver would fix it, but hey, they threw some :science: in the book so at least someone else wondered it too.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Cool. I just remember watching a documentary on deep fishing, and the subs they used had these special little trap things for when they catch angler fish, cause when they bring em towards the surface they go POP. They built these little super plexiglass cage things to contain the water and fish at the right pressure so they live.

Just kinda made me wonder how a shark would go from way down at the bottom to the top without looking like a puffer fish.

Dunno how a liver would fix it, but hey, they threw some :science: in the book so at least someone else wondered it too.

Yes, some attempt at making some plausible sounding science (as long as you don't think too hard) is always appreciated. Unlike Reilly--I think one of his books had a plane that both sank really fast into the water because the front and back were gone and it was just a tube and simultaneously was crushed by the pressure, or something. It was one of those things where there wasn't just a LACK of explanation, there was some form of explanation that was entirely and apparently wrong to anyone with the most modest facilities for critical thinking.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Payndz posted:

Oh god, the stick I got from some people for the ending of Empire Of Gold. How dare I leave plot threads open in my ongoing series!
I was pretty surprised when I realized that Stikes just ... doesn't die by the end of the book. He's built up, is thoroughly horrible, and yet is somehow still alive at the end. It was far enough out of pattern that it didn't seem strange at first.

Payndz posted:

She has a cameo in The Valhalla Prophecy. :toot:

:woop:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Nope Killer SEALS!!!!!

It has both.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My monthly goodreads newsletter arrived and it's highlighting new books from Cussler, Preston, Vince Flynn, Steve Berry, and Matthew Reilly. I can barely contain myself... It's like a Hudson News paradise.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

skipdogg posted:

My monthly goodreads newsletter arrived and it's highlighting new books from Cussler, Preston, Vince Flynn, Steve Berry, and Matthew Reilly. I can barely contain myself... It's like a Hudson News paradise.
No Ndy McDerm? :smith:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Ndy McDerm died in an unfortunate explosion caused by a billionaire.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Payndz posted:

I just finished one of your books and I'm so glad the character I liked survived :3:

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Payndz posted:

I just started some Ndy McDerm. :unsmith: Eddie and Nina #1.

Finished it yesterday. Starting book #2 today!

iNteg fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 12, 2014

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Woof. Tore through all the Wilde Chase books in the past couple of weeks.

Definitely hit the spot that Cussler did back in the day.

I don't think I've read more graphically comical descriptions of death and dismemberment before.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Paragon8 posted:

I don't think I've read more graphically comical descriptions of death and dismemberment before.
Then my work here is done. :toot:

Glad you enjoyed 'em.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Payndz posted:

Then my work here is done. :toot:

Glad you enjoyed 'em.

So far they've been great! Hooray to Ndy McDerm.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

At first I was a little put off by how quick Eddie and Nina ended up together, I expected a little more will they won't they but it actually I think is the defining aspect of the series. It saves us from the babe of the book common in other adventure series.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
Just started the Excalibur book. Much better so far than the Hercules one, I think the dialog feels a little bit more liek what humans would say to each other. Also Bournemouth - I don't think I have ever read a more unlikely action sequence :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think Ndy is very aware of the genre and has a lot of fun with it. With as many kills as both Eddie and Nina rack up and brush off with a nothing more than a quip in reality they would be terrifying sociopaths.

Spoilers below with general feelings about spoily things

The Mitzi death was super unexpected until maybe a couple of chapters before.

After Mitzi I was terrified Macy would buy it. I like her a lot.

Sophia Blackwood. Awesome. Would not be averse to having a clone or something come up later. It was a shame to finally see her go.

Hopefully Nina's Atlantean DNA helps with the Eitr.

I feel Mac kind of went down like a chump. That death was rough.

What myth is next? Roman? More Greek? ALIENS?

• Locked thread