Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The problem with the Aniplex method is, it makes it damned near impossible for large chunks of the audience to afford any of their shows. With Aniplex putting their stuff on Netflix, the problem is a little less egregious, but it's still impossible to legally watch Kara no Kyoukai for cheaper than 500 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Shere posted:

It's really splitting hairs to call someone out on exaggeration and then throw down prices like $350-$550. If it costs as much as the decent 32-40" TV you're watching it on, it's pretty ridiculous no matter how you slice it.
There's other hobbies that cost much more than what Aniplex of America charges and there'll always be people willing to pay for those. Everyone has something that others could say is ridiculous for how much they pay for it, so it's pointless to bring that up. It's not going to change their method or success of it.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The problem with the Aniplex method is, it makes it damned near impossible for large chunks of the audience to afford any of their shows. With Aniplex putting their stuff on Netflix, the problem is a little less egregious, but it's still impossible to legally watch Kara no Kyoukai for cheaper than 500 bucks.
The issue with Garden of Sinners goes back to Aniplex of Japan not wanting BDs in English anymore. There's nothing Aniplex of America can do on that end; they had the movies up on PSN for a while, but they probably got taken down due to lack of views. I'm sure they want to release another set, but if people aren't buying, there's nothing they can do on their end.

The Aniplex method is countering what is the current trend in North America: streaming and not buying discs. When one of your distributors says that 3,000 copies of a 12-13 episode set at $40 after discounts is a "hit" for them, it's obvious that the disc strategy is not doing as well as it had before. Revenue in the market dropped by a 1/3rd once we hit cour sets and hasn't come back, regardless of how cheap you make it. People aren't buying anymore; they're just watching streams. For that reason, it's incredibly smart of Aniplex to target streams on Hulu and Netflix while airing dubs on Toonami. That's where most people will watch; not a disc. Maximize your revenue from discs and put streams everywhere. That's just the way the market is moving unless you're Funi and will run DBZ re-hashs to the ground.

Here's something to think about : over 1 million people watched nearly every single Space Dandy episode. Maybe 1% would buy Funi's "cheap" set (10k tends to be the usual Funi level for successes).

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

ultimatemegax posted:

The Aniplex method is countering what is the current trend in North America: streaming and not buying discs. When one of your distributors says that 3,000 copies of a 12-13 episode set at $40 after discounts is a "hit" for them, it's obvious that the disc strategy is not doing as well as it had before.

Also, anime fans in the western world are notoriously against actually paying for their stuff.
Everyone are used to "it being ok" to download fansubs when the shows are unlicensed and honestly, it's not like 99% of the crowd really cares if the show is licensed, or even commercially available already.

Streaming is convenient and generally dirt cheap, which actually makes it a viable vector for the content owners.

I'm surprised that anyone bothers releasing boxsets that aren't extremely overpriced collectors items at this point.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Buffis posted:

Also, anime fans in the western world are notoriously against actually paying for their stuff.
Everyone are used to "it being ok" to download fansubs when the shows are unlicensed and honestly, it's not like 99% of the crowd really cares if the show is licensed, or even commercially available already.

Streaming is convenient and generally dirt cheap, which actually makes it a viable vector for the content owners.

I'm surprised that anyone bothers releasing boxsets that aren't extremely overpriced collectors items at this point.

Huge parts of the world, including parts of the United States, has slow Internet connections. How the population of anime watchers overlaps with that I dare not speculate.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Buffis posted:

That's what boxsets are right now in reality? Even in Japan/before the interet people don't buy home video of TV shows, they just rent it

Insert picture of the $800 Gurren Lagann Blu Ray set

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
A new distribution company called Cinelicious is going to restore and re-release Belladonna of Sadness, a phenomenal and extremely disturbing anime film from 1973, theatrically and on DVD and Blu-Ray next year. This is one I never thought would get any kind of official release in the states (the only time I can think of it being shown theatrically was at the Spectacle in Brooklyn), but this is very welcome news.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah, really? That's nuts, Belladonna is an amazing film. That's even more surprising than something like Angel's Egg getting a bluray, since it doesn't have a big name like Mamoru Oshii behind it (I guess Osamu Tezuka worked on it for a bit but didn't really have much involvement in the finished film.)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

A new distribution company called Cinelicious is going to restore and re-release Belladonna of Sadness, a phenomenal and extremely disturbing anime film from 1973, theatrically and on DVD and Blu-Ray next year. This is one I never thought would get any kind of official release in the states (the only time I can think of it being shown theatrically was at the Spectacle in Brooklyn), but this is very welcome news.

Thank goodness. I'm dying to watch it but it felt sad for such a beautiful film to be only on DVD.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Robert Denby posted:

Wow, this is pretty cool.
I've never actually seen this, but I've heard great things about it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I've gotten my copy of Time of Eve: The Movie. The packaging, disk, image quality and sound are all really good, however the Italian subtitles are not very good. I can't speak for the translation since I don't understand Japanese beyond a couple words/phrases, but the subtitles have poor sentence construction, awkward phrasing, iffy timing and at least one instance of poor formatting (a missing line break causes a single line on the bottom of the screen that's unreadable because it goes beyond the edges of the screen, both left and right).

I haven't watched the English subtitles, I hope the quality is better for those.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just a heads up from the Blu Ray thread in CD, but it looks like the US Mononoke Blu ray doesn't have the literal translation subtitle track. I'm looking at amazon now and it only lists one english sub and a french sub.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Good News: Space Dandy's finally being released on Blu-Ray. Bad News: It's only the first season so far in February.
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/11/17/live-out-your-wildest-fantasies-with-these-space-dandy-premium-edition-releases/

FUNimation Exclusive

Amazon Exclusive

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeaaaaah I think I'm going Amazon on that one

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anyone here pick up the new Kiki's Delivery Service bluray? Did Disney change anything for the worse, or make new, weird edits to the music, story, and/or script?

There's rumblings of that on the amazon reviews, but people are frequently idiots...so i thought I would just ask here.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeaaaaah I think I'm going Amazon on that one

No poo poo. That 'package' really misses the joke

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

a kitten posted:

Anyone here pick up the new Kiki's Delivery Service bluray? Did Disney change anything for the worse, or make new, weird edits to the music, story, and/or script?

There's rumblings of that on the amazon reviews, but people are frequently idiots...so i thought I would just ask here.

I picked it up, but I've never seen it before sooooo yeah. I'll be of no help. I haven't seen anything on Twitter about it, but check Fandom Post forums. There's a thread for it and those people are obsessed nerds, and if I there is an issue they will have noted it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

a kitten posted:

"Kiki's Delivery Service received a new Region 1 DVD in March 2010, the same day Miyazaki's Ponyo became available on American home video. This English audio production is something of a combination of the original Japanese version (which is fairly minimalist and has basic sound effects) and the 1998 Disney English audio production (which has newer sound effects, some new incidental music, and the many entirely new lines of dialog, particularly from Hartman). Some of the 1998 changes remain in the 2010 version, while others are gone. The opening and closing songs from the English version were reverted to the original Japanese pop songs. Hartman's final line which implied that Kiki could understand Jiji again was removed.[37]"

Go to wikipedia for more.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Squallege posted:

Good News: Space Dandy's finally being released on Blu-Ray. Bad News: It's only the first season so far in February.
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/11/17/live-out-your-wildest-fantasies-with-these-space-dandy-premium-edition-releases/

Yeah, these aren't like the amazing Bebop sets. I'm just going to stick to the normal LE with the Chipboard box.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

Go to wikipedia for more.
Interesting, thanks.

Nothing sounds like a deal breaker I guess. Losing some of Hartman's snark is a bummer tho.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 21, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Aniplex put out the solicitation for the last three volumes of Gurren Lagann.

One a month through March. Same old $50 price tag. I'd find it annoying but honestly its cheaper than trying to buy the old Bandai DVDs at this point even if I do already own 2/3s of that set.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
Original, non-Rebuild Evangelion finally announced for Blu-ray next summer. Between the Blu-ray set and a new DVD box, all the confusingly different versions of the TV series, Death & Rebirth, and End of Eva will be available on disc (if I'm reading correctly, the only thing missing from the Blu-rays is a particular TV edit of Death & Rebirth).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sure to make the Gurren Lagann box set look like a steal. I'm betting a $600 street price minimum.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

Original, non-Rebuild Evangelion finally announced for Blu-ray next summer. Between the Blu-ray set and a new DVD box, all the confusingly different versions of the TV series, Death & Rebirth, and End of Eva will be available on disc (if I'm reading correctly, the only thing missing from the Blu-rays is a particular TV edit of Death & Rebirth).

The Blu-ray box will contain everything in its completed version except to include the first ever release of the original "Death" portion of "Death and Rebirth". The DVD-box also releasing next summer will have the original broadcast versions of the TV series and "Death(True) and Rebirth" (Death(True)'s first time on video release) which will not be included in the Blu-ray box.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

gently caress YESSSSSSSS.

The DVD remasters were okay but even the Reconstruction(?) EoE was pretty drab looking, to say nothing of the original godawful Manga DVD.

This rules.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
So if anyone has been holding out for BDs for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex with subs (since the JP BDs have the dub but no subs), there's a Korean BD box that just released that has the dub and subs for about $150. It's been confirmed that a box for 2nd GIG is planned for next year too. Worth checking out since Manga is unlikely to do anything but sit on it here.

http://kimchidvd.com/en/good/goods.jsp?good_seq=20460

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I stumbled on it today while putzing around on amazon... Amazon has the Season 1 + 2 bluray set for Black Lagoon for $25. I haven't watched Black Lagoon yet and always wanted to so I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Lagoon-Season-Blu-ray-DVD/dp/B008YRL7JE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417837686&sr=8-1&keywords=black+lagoon

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Just a heads up from the Blu Ray thread in CD, but it looks like the US Mononoke Blu ray doesn't have the literal translation subtitle track. I'm looking at amazon now and it only lists one english sub and a french sub.

Mononoke is my favorite Ghibli film and I have been waiting forever for a blu ray release. This is heartbreaking. I won't even bother to hope for a fix because I know it's never coming.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Yawgmoft posted:

Mononoke is my favorite Ghibli film and I have been waiting forever for a blu ray release. This is heartbreaking. I won't even bother to hope for a fix because I know it's never coming.

Can you tell me what the difference is between the "literal translation" and "english sub?" I'm not being snide here, this is a serious question. An example or two from the movie would probably be enough.

Pretty much my favorite Ghibli film as well, incidentally, and one of the first anime films I ever watched with Japanese audio.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

I don't have any exact examples from Mononoke on hand, but it pretty much works like this:

The literal translation is the exact translation of what is being said in Japanese. The one "English subtitle" track is likely just a closed caption of the dub track, which is different from the literal translation because it is localized for English speakers.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
The English sub track of the Japanese BD release of Princess Mononoke is definitely not closed captioning, so anyone who hates that I guess can just import it

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I can't provide an example as my DVD is at my mother's house, but as said above it uses the English script for the subtitles instead of the Japanese script. For the most part it's benign but from what I remember of watching the English version there are some annoying character shifts and a general dumbing down.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

The English sub track of the Japanese BD release of Princess Mononoke is definitely not closed captioning, so anyone who hates that I guess can just import it
Ditto for the Hong Kong and Taiwanese BD release.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OZC posted:

So if anyone has been holding out for BDs for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex with subs (since the JP BDs have the dub but no subs), there's a Korean BD box that just released that has the dub and subs for about $150. It's been confirmed that a box for 2nd GIG is planned for next year too. Worth checking out since Manga is unlikely to do anything but sit on it here.

http://kimchidvd.com/en/good/goods.jsp?good_seq=20460

Thanks for posting; I jumped on it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Valsu posted:

I don't have any exact examples from Mononoke on hand, but it pretty much works like this:

The literal translation is the exact translation of what is being said in Japanese. The one "English subtitle" track is likely just a closed caption of the dub track, which is different from the literal translation because it is localized for English speakers.

Yawgmoft posted:

I can't provide an example as my DVD is at my mother's house, but as said above it uses the English script for the subtitles instead of the Japanese script. For the most part it's benign but from what I remember of watching the English version there are some annoying character shifts and a general dumbing down.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is this news? Porco Rosso has a release date on Amazon (Feb. 3rd). Pretty hyped for it, it's easily my favorite Ghibli movie. Actually I'm not sure there will be any Ghibli movies I want to buy on Blu-ray after this comes out. E: I guess I'd buy The Cat Returns if/when that comes out.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 11, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

^^I think they're releasing Pom Poko with that.

In regards to Mononoke, try to do some research on it, as it may actually have both sub tracks. I can't really figure out one way or the other though.

An example I can think of as to the difference is near the beginning of the movie, when the elders discuss ashitaka cutting his hair and leaving forever. In the english dub/CC track, they say a brief sentence about their people. However in the original translation, there's more said along the lines of how they were plotting to eventually overthrow the shogun for banishing/hunting their people to near extinction. Little things like that, stuff that really adds some flavor to the setting and they kind of just ignored it for the dub.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nate RFB posted:

Is this news? Porco Rosso has a release date on Amazon (Feb. 3rd). Pretty hyped for it, it's easily my favorite Ghibli movie. Actually I'm not sure there will be any Ghibli movies I want to buy on Blu-ray after this comes out. E: I guess I'd buy The Cat Returns if/when that comes out.

You wouldn't get Spirited Away (assuming you didn't already get the Japanese release)? And it's Pom Poko + Porco Rosso + Princess Kaguya. What's left in the Ghibli library besides Spirited Away and Cat Returns?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have never cared for Spirited Away.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

What's left in the Ghibli library besides Spirited Away and Cat Returns?

Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I have never cared for Spirited Away.

Same, at least not as much as it's praised for. The art was great but the story just didn't do it for me. But I'm the guy who wants miyazaki to do another serious film like nausicaa or mononoke.

• Locked thread