Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The mech suit fights in Ninja Kamui were so floaty and weightless compared to the excellent regular fights, it was super disappointing. It's certainly possible to do 3D fights well but whoever was doing those could not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Hellioning posted:

I am going to get baited so hard by Jellyfish. I am prepared to be sad.

There is no happiness in the path of expecting to be "baited".

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yuri is in the eye of the beholder

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Sindai posted:

The mech suit fights in Ninja Kamui were so floaty and weightless compared to the excellent regular fights, it was super disappointing. It's certainly possible to do 3D fights well but whoever was doing those could not.

They don't even look too bad til they start jumpin around, but on top of most of those fights lasting like a minute, just, I came for ninjas, damnit!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

Yuri is in the eye of the beholder

im going to kill you in real life in minecraft

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yuri is when two girls are lesbianly

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

okay

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

viral hit's vibes were not for me but it seemed very good at what it's going for and i'm not surprised it's someone's fav anime this season

Endorph posted:

yuri is when two girls are lesbianly

i also wanna talk about whisper me a love song, which i like a lot. it still strikes the fluffy notes you might want from a romance anime but it's also smart enough to really probe at what it means to love someone rather than just falling into a pattern of will they-won't they.

there's a scene in one of the more recent eps where one of the leads is struggling with her feelings and she goes to her mom about it and they just talk about relationships over hot cocoa. it's such a human moment, and it nails stuff like this often.

i am not super familiar with yuri or girl's love as a genre so i don't know how much of this is standard, but what i've seen is great.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I think I'm gonna watch Girl Cry Band - normally I'm not into these types of shows but thr characters seem cool. How does it compare to other stuff like idol anime?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Southern Cassowary posted:

viral hit's vibes were not for me but it seemed very good at what it's going for and i'm not surprised it's someone's fav anime this season

i also wanna talk about whisper me a love song, which i like a lot. it still strikes the fluffy notes you might want from a romance anime but it's also smart enough to really probe at what it means to love someone rather than just falling into a pattern of will they-won't they.

there's a scene in one of the more recent eps where one of the leads is struggling with her feelings and she goes to her mom about it and they just talk about relationships over hot cocoa. it's such a human moment, and it nails stuff like this often.

i am not super familiar with yuri or girl's love as a genre so i don't know how much of this is standard, but what i've seen is great.

it's pretty common stuff but it's nice having more common stuff get adapted

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Willo567 posted:

I think I'm gonna watch Girl Cry Band - normally I'm not into these types of shows but thr characters seem cool. How does it compare to other stuff like idol anime?

I don't have a huge experience with idol shows, but the music aspect of it isn't as important as you'd think with the title; the important bits are "Girls" and "Cry" with "Band" being secondary. In practice the show so far has been primarily about unpacking the protagonist's lovely, toxic upbringing and working through her lingering problems (and also the problems of the other leads, they just aren't as in your face as Nina's). The show could well have had her joining any particular group creative outlet to work out her problems, it's almost happenstance she ended up being cajoled into joining a band.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I do love the Whisper anime worked in Yuri is my Job given both series get along

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It's kind of fascinating to me how Girls Band Cry, Whisper Me a Love Song, and Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night all go in different directions with their girls-in-bands stories but all manage to be very enjoyable in distinct ways. I guess Hibike! Euphonium is also a girls-in-bands story too! (and also great)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Binged the Jellyfish show since everyone was saying how good it is and I was not disappointed.

Also still watching Rinkai! As expected, another time skip. Really feels like the highlights of an existing story. The CG, which normally isn't great, was extra bad this episode since they were doing close ups of people moving.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

just finished ep 5 of Jellyfish myself, and well, sorry Train and Spicy Wolf but...think i know who the top dog is for me right now...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Colonel posted:

There is no happiness in the path of expecting to be "baited".

There is no happiness in any path. All anime watching is pain.

Anyway seriously I do not think Jellyfish is queerbaiting I just have been burned too many times before.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 6, 2024

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Omnicrom posted:

I don't have a huge experience with idol shows, but the music aspect of it isn't as important as you'd think with the title; the important bits are "Girls" and "Cry" with "Band" being secondary. In practice the show so far has been primarily about unpacking the protagonist's lovely, toxic upbringing and working through her lingering problems (and also the problems of the other leads, they just aren't as in your face as Nina's). The show could well have had her joining any particular group creative outlet to work out her problems, it's almost happenstance she ended up being cajoled into joining a band.
That sounds right up my alley then. After that I'll try Bang Dream My Go

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hellioning posted:

There is no happiness in any path. All anime watching is pain.

:thunk:

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
The thing Girls Band Cry being about a band affords it is a semi-formalized space where Nina's outbursts of emotion are not just tolerated but welcome. Momoka wants her to channel those emotions into the band to fulfill her own romantic ideals of what music is and is constantly driven to consternation when Nina refuses to let herself be captured into that limited frame. The sort of inherent rock musicality of her character bleeds into the broader show: The big conversational scenes play in rhythm with the chord progressions of the background music, and so on.

If I were to compare GBC to idol shows... Well, idol shows are a broad scene, but generally I'd say they're a bit more idealistic and apsirational, where conflict is something to be overcome with hope and hard work so you can find the sublime music beyond it. GBC is more about the catharsis of shouting out your feelings about something even if the underlying issue is too complex to be resolved. The conflict is the music. For all the cartooniness and high melodrama it's actually quite grounded.

The MyGO director talked in an interview about how in a lot of shows whenever it's not someone's turn to be the focus of the drama they'll settle back into an emotional status quo in a way that isn't very true to how human beings work, and I've been unable to stop noticing that ever since. I think GBC does a good job of keeping everyone's internal plates spinning. Nobody actually has a clear understanding of what anyone's situation is and what can be done about it, because Nina is so caught up in whatever impulse seizes her in the moment she loses the forest for the trees, Momoka constantly dissembles and distracts because she doesn't want to actually think about her feelings, and Subaru's high and mighty attitude lets her pretend she's just a bemused onlooker and not down in the dirt with everyone else. They're all just muddling through.

I think that's one key difference it has to Jellyfish, where characters do have an oddly clear and analytic understanding of what their own & each others' issues are and can just talk about them in very direct ways that don't ring true to me at all.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

personally, i enjoy watching anime

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
when there's two girls and they have feelings about each other that makes me happy :gerty:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jellyfish is decent but its way more Kirara Anime than i was expecting. theres some decent drama but its nothing like a mygo or a girls band cry yeah. like frankly its clearly takinga lot of cues from *clears throat* Project Sekai, the Hatsune Miku Mobile Game, but so far its yet to really reach the emotional honesty of the Hatsune Miku Gacha Game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like i still like it, the cast is good and theres some moments i like, but i feel mildly disappointed by it considering how artsy they were trying to make it look in the PVs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said also while i like girls band cry i feel like we got maybe one too many episodes with the subaru/nina/momoka trio. the bar scene in this latest ep was fun but it kinda feels like we're going in circles and now the other two girls will only have half the show to be in the cast. mygo did a much better job juggling the cast without ever settling into a routine, and it had sakiko and mutsumi also getting screentime.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

mygo is a tough standard to hit

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

personally, i enjoy watching anime

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

that said also while i like girls band cry i feel like we got maybe one too many episodes with the subaru/nina/momoka trio. the bar scene in this latest ep was fun but it kinda feels like we're going in circles and now the other two girls will only have half the show to be in the cast. mygo did a much better job juggling the cast without ever settling into a routine, and it had sakiko and mutsumi also getting screentime.

imo the simple solution is that they should have had an extra long cour but i fear that tech has been lost now that the 2010s are over

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think it's better to focus on some characters and leave others underdeveloped than to try to spread material evenly amongst all the characters and end up with everyone underdeveloped. I mean with MyGo Rana ended up basically as a cat and that's fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah rana is a cat and that works fine but i think, idk. theres a difference between a character not being that much of an active focus and there not being that much active development of the plot or changes to the relationships so we can reestablish things we already knew about the characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

imo the simple solution is that they should have had an extra long cour but i fear that tech has been lost now that the 2010s are over

my biggest fear is that the ED shows so much of their Road Trip and seemingly spoils future plot stuff because that stuff wont actually be in the show and itll end with them getting in the car, lol

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

raana is a cat inhabited by the spirit of one edward van halen

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think Jellyfish is really good and really like the last episode but the writing and dialog feels very light novel/anime in a way that Girls Band Cry/Whisper doesn't. It was really noticeable last episode with Kano's old band and Mero just being written like the typical rival character

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

whisper is the best written show of the trio imo

gbc being about three insane dramatic girls is fun but it spins its wheels a bit. i haven't seen the newest ep (waiting on sobsplease subs) but ep 4 having them all have to work with subaru's grandmother on acting poo poo was a good way to make that dynamic work.

jellyfish (while immaculate from a vibes and style standpoint) can feel a little rote - like they introduce the vtuber's agoraphobia and gacha addiction, and then just kinda...don't do much with it? resolves itself over the course of that episode. the show has a lot of ways they could explore the crew's individual problems and it's just kind of playing the hits and not really delving into it much.

whisper, while it hits the standard romance plot points a fair bit, absolutely touches on some of the human elements of a nascent relationship and how the people around it are affected better than a lot of romance anime. it's often thought provoking in a really neat way while still being fun.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

well drat I'm in the minority here, i prefer Jellyfish a fair bit more over GBC inasmuch as i haven't felt terribly invested at all in the dynamics and issues the main cast face in GBC compared to Jellyfish (i still can't remember any of their names without looking them up which is probably telling of a lack of interest). i think the major issue as someone said up-thread is that GBC is just kinda spinning its wheels atm, which has gradually made it more and more difficult for me to feel as if there's actual progress regarding the cast either musically or emotionally whereas Jellyfish, even with a sort of more juvenile approach to the general concept, paces itself out better if a bit hurriedly. also i'm gonna be that guy and say that inasmuch as the 3D adds to the concert scenes and body language/expressions in GBC, i prefer the standard 2D of Jellyfish and it's done very well with occasional flourishes that remind me why I love Doga Kobo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think Jellyfish is really good and really like the last episode but the writing and dialog feels very light novel/anime in a way that Girls Band Cry/Whisper doesn't. It was really noticeable last episode with Kano's old band and Mero just being written like the typical rival character

and hell, I love it for that

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the train girls better form a band on one of their stops

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

i think im gbc > jellyfish > whisper right now, but all three are good, band anime supremacy

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah same.

I have to say that Jellyfish's artistic inferiority arc hit me like a bag of bricks. Though I'm not sure if the resolution is great...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/JWonggg/status/1787268257973407745?t=Dnr9xZmPckCdzje2GDkNeg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmao