Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ok but what else could that line in the OP be referring to though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
edit: oh, i missed the 2nd part. no clue.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: nvm it was snipped

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Extra scene at home after the game, Valkyrie off to the side when you cut through the brush with blades.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i think maybe the op is just confused about when you can access that chamber

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I did everything there was to do in the game before beating it so yeah that confused me too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Because the game highlighted the door in the intro, I raced back there as soon as I got the pick. I was expecting something really plot significant.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Luckily that one doesn’t contain a nightmarishly hard encounter to gently caress you right after you get a power spike from blades and chisel, only a moderately hard encounter.

Also I’m a huge fan of trips, and I very quickly learnt how to exploit the r1 and r2 throws.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Done almost everything in this game and only just learned there are both light and heavy throws thanks to this thread

God dammit

Loved the game but I do think Freya’s characterisation at the very end (“my son is obviously a lunatic who is beyond saving and who is going to kill me and a bunch of other people if he is allowed to live but I still swear revenge on the person who does it because MOTHERHOOD”) is super weak and Atreus’ turn to and from dickheadedness after learning about his true ancestry were both very sudden but the twist helped with that second one a bit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I honestly hope there's some cooling-off between this game and the next and they don't just waste her character on a screeching villain role until the end of the story/Kratos-or-Atreus kills her.

Like I wouldn't expect her to ever forgive him but there would be some interesting narrative grey areas that aren't "I hate you forever and I will endlessly try to kill you unless you kill me first." Cause they already did that with Baldr

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Loved the game but I do think Freya’s characterisation at the very end (“my son is obviously a lunatic who is beyond saving and who is going to kill me and a bunch of other people if he is allowed to live but I still swear revenge on the person who does it because MOTHERHOOD”) is super weak and Atreus’ turn to and from dickheadedness after learning about his true ancestry were both very sudden but the twist helped with that second one a bit.

atreus becoming a dick was handled alright but the way he just abruptly stops and it's never really brought up again afterwards is, to me, the weakest point in the narrative. at least apologize to sindri, kid

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Manatee Cannon posted:

atreus becoming a dick was handled alright but the way he just abruptly stops and it's never really brought up again afterwards is, to me, the weakest point in the narrative. at least apologize to sindri, kid

He does apologize at one point if you keep talking to him and Grok.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Atreus landing the gang in Hel and seeing the memories of his dad being a jerkface were meant to be moments of self-realization but it was missing some kind of acknowledging line on the boat.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think Atreus landing the gang in Hel and seeing the memories of his dad being a jerkface were meant to be moments of self-realization but it was missing some kind of acknowledging line on the boat.

i'm p sure this is a thread that didn't have a payoff in the first game on purpose

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well in all other regards the narrative does a pretty good job addressing current plot threads while setting stuff up for the future, but in this one area I felt it was lacking some "okay I was out of line" exchange.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i'm p sure this is a thread that didn't have a payoff in the first game on purpose

maybe but I think they could have set that up better if it is indeed the case

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I didn't think Atreus' voice actor was very good tbh

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

exquisite tea posted:

You mean like when he said "Is that me..? but I..." during the stabbing sequence replay? I think that was the self realization, combined with the apology to Sindri later.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I didn't think Atreus' voice actor was very good tbh

The quality of the game's VA was sort of all over the place, but I thought Boi was mostly good. To be fair, it's no easy task finding young voice actors (or actors!) that can pull off a part without seeming stilted.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The quality of the game's VA was sort of all over the place, but I thought Boi was mostly good. To be fair, it's no easy task finding young voice actors (or actors!) that can pull off a part without seeming stilted.

Freya and Baldur were good, Kratos was good, dwarves were so-so, I think everyone could have benefitted from going even more over-the-top tbh. One thing I like about the old God of War games is that they really lean into the craziness that already exists in Greek mythology

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Freya's VA and animation was so loving good.

There's something about the eyes in this game. It may not be perfect in the facial movements at times, but they somehow managed to nail down the eyes and goddamn you feel a lot in looks from Freya or Kratos.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pretty humiliating to get the Muspelheim valk down to 10% health 10 times in a row, only to have her end the match my stepping on your face with her stilettos while yelling how worthless you are.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 5, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Pretty humiliating to get the Muspelheim valk down to 10% health 10 times in a row, only to have her end the match my stepping on your face with her stilettos while yelling how worthless you are.

2 times is a coincidence, third time is a pattern...

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Steve Yun posted:

Sounds hot

Anyway, I turned the difficulty down to easy to beat Sigrun. Got the trophy, so it was the right thing to do :colbert:

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I had to take a call and didn’t get a great look at the hidden part of the Jotunheim mural. I saw what I assumed was a dying Kratos, but what else was going on there?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Atreus has the world serpent coming out of his mouth

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think it was in this thread that someone mentioned it, but there’s a perfectly good explanation as to why he stops abruptly and it never comes up again: Loki is a famously lovely drunk in Norse myth. Kid sobered up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo yeah I totally forgot about the wine

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So he was literally drunk with power. :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Well in all other regards the narrative does a pretty good job addressing current plot threads while setting stuff up for the future, but in this one area I felt it was lacking some "okay I was out of line" exchange.
Realizations could be made without the characters involved having to say anything, though this often comes off as orphaned threads to the player.

There's also the fact that Atreus is now scared shitless that he may do the same thing, too.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I got kind of confused because he kept saying "That wasn't me" and "I don't remember" about his brat phase when confronted about it like he was possessed. Seemed like really bad writing or foreshadowing.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The kid is Loki. Of course it's foreshadowing for something bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Black August posted:

The kid is Loki. Of course it's foreshadowing for something bad.

I thought they were going to reveal that Boi originally 'blacked out' and killed Feye, and that Kratos was resisting telling him for obvious reasons. That type of reveal would've made the Baldur arc strong imo, especially Kratos' reaction. Who knows, maybe they originally planned on revealing that but moved the reveal to GoW2.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

His rage was tied to learning he was a god, no? I don't know if him killing Faye fits since keeping the truth of his parentage was making him physically ill and weak until Kratos told him the truth.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

I thought they were going to reveal that Boi originally 'blacked out' and killed Feye, and that Kratos was resisting telling him for obvious reasons. That type of reveal would've made the Baldur arc strong imo, especially Kratos' reaction. Who knows, maybe they originally planned on revealing that but moved the reveal to GoW2.

I don't know. The early game makes it clear that she knew she was going to die because she marked out the trees she wanted. The game doesn't outright say what it was, but it at least seems that whatever it was wasn't a sudden event.

Also lol at anyone who thinks Baldur was going to kill his mother and then just bid Kratos on his way and not that he was a lunatic who was never going to stop coming after them.

For me the Baldur/Freya arc worked because it's in direct contrast with Kratos/Loki. Both strive to be better but, when faced with the same choice, Baldur rejects it. Sure there's a certain lack of grace to it but that's ok. And I'm not convinced that Freya is coming back as a villain either given the head's talk about her needing more time to heal. For all the talk of her acting hysterical, the game itself seems to cut it off by saying she just watched her kid get killed, what else do you expect?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

I don't know. The early game makes it clear that she knew she was going to die because she marked out the trees she wanted. The game doesn't outright say what it was, but it at least seems that whatever it was wasn't a sudden event.

Also lol at anyone who thinks Baldur was going to kill his mother and then just bid Kratos on his way and not that he was a lunatic who was never going to stop coming after them.

For me the Baldur/Freya arc worked because it's in direct contrast with Kratos/Loki. Both strive to be better but, when faced with the same choice, Baldur rejects it. Sure there's a certain lack of grace to it but that's ok. And I'm not convinced that Freya is coming back as a villain either given the head's talk about her needing more time to heal. For all the talk of her acting hysterical, the game itself seems to cut it off by saying she just watched her kid get killed, what else do you expect?

Yeah, I guess I see what you're saying about the trees.

Also, I don't think anyone is accusing Freya of acting hysterical (and if they are then they can gently caress off with that term and its lovely implications), but I'm not exactly convinced that the writing of that part (final Baldur showdown) of the story is up to snuff either. Parts of it just felt awkward and forced, especially compared to a lot of the naturalistic banter between Kratos and Boi.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Also, I don't think anyone is accusing Freya of acting hysterical (and if they are then they can gently caress off with that term and its lovely implications),

Wait, what? Isnt hysterical pretty much exactly what she was, screaming in grief and a wreck?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

cubicle gangster posted:

Wait, what? Isnt hysterical pretty much exactly what she was, screaming in grief and a wreck?

“Hysterical” has a root word that specifically refers to the womb in Latin, so it’s basically an outdated medical term for an unspecified “bitch be crazy” diagnosis.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
That is a new one for me. I've only ever heard the word used when rarely a man but usually a woman is in a complete emotional wreck, almost always within the context of a recently deceased child. ie: 'it was upsetting, he/she was in complete hysterics'

Arent there a ton of latin words like that where we dont give a poo poo about where they came from anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It has bad connotations from back when women were sent to drs to have orgasms for being in 'hysterics' or sad in the head to be fixed and poo poo, iirc.

Personally I think it's so far from that definition now to not matter. It's used to describe poo poo as hilarious or funny as often as it is to describe a crazy sort of emotional state. I'd say it's not so much a gendered word any more and hasn't been for quite some time.

• Locked thread