Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

The Lone Badger posted:

You'd have to emag it first, right?

Depends what you wanna remotely inject~

The other way is to jack the MD's tranq gun, I've seen someone using customized loads that caused spontaneous combustion. I dunno how it was done though.

Edit:

Also the tranq gun should probably not cause bleeding / as much impact damage as badly as it does. The original intention was to non lethally subdue folks who are doing drugs and going nuts but as it stands it is a pretty robust weapon... Which while technically fine means that its robustness actually will be used to limit its effectiveness later when someone figures out how to do custom loads and goes on rampages three rounds in a row just like with the old syringe gun.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar

Spaceking posted:

Surgery is fun. You can be pulling bullets out of someone's gut one minute, and then cutting off a man's buttocks the next.

False.

Always
Be
Cutting
buttocks off.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Oh man

If you drag a General Manufacturer or any other kind of manufacturer for that matter it can output to adjacent tiles, empty crates, racks or tables...

Now to steal all the stations metal and use pressure plates, a graviton and a GM to build infinite heavy objects and hurl them down the corridors at people

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

Oh man

If you drag a General Manufacturer or any other kind of manufacturer for that matter it can output to adjacent tiles, empty crates, racks or tables...

Now to steal all the stations metal and use pressure plates, a graviton and a GM to build infinite heavy objects and hurl them down the corridors at people

If you want to attempt my dream, try and build a pinball table. You'll probably need a lot of room.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Injecting styptic isn't toxic, medibots do it all the time. Eating it is.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Does using a debfibrillator on a changeling cause your arms to get bitten off? Because it really should.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

0lives posted:

If you want to attempt my dream, try and build a pinball table. You'll probably need a lot of room.

Use the chapel. It's massive and completely pointless otherwise.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The chapel is very important as a place to create massive bonfires or enormous blood-based floor art as a monument to Satan's glory. So build a blood-soaked Satanic pinball machine, ideally involving fire, and you're set.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Dabir posted:

Medibots inject saline-glucose.

Readster
Dec 19, 2013

Small and Blue posted:

Does using a debfibrillator on a changeling cause your arms to get bitten off? Because it really should.

Mother of god yes. 100% this!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
"Guys, we got a changeling; go to Medical and grab some defibrillators, then push people down and use it on them. Don't worry, if you survive the encounter, just go to the roboticist."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Angry Diplomat posted:

The chapel is very important as a place to create massive bonfires or enormous blood-based floor art as a monument to Satan's glory. So build a blood-soaked Satanic pinball machine, ideally involving fire, and you're set.

Just be prepared for lag when one of the space gods builds a bonfire with paper and sparks and realises he can't turn the sparks off.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Bachelor Numpad posted:

False.

Always
Be
Cutting
buttocks off.

Oh yes. When I'm a roboticist, which has been a lot lately, and I'm forced to do some surgery to save a life I always take a butt in payment.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yesssss. I will attempt this.

Readster
Dec 19, 2013

tlarn posted:

"Guys, we got a changeling; go to Medical and grab some defibrillators, then push people down and use it on them. Don't worry, if you survive the encounter, just go to the roboticist."

Can't defib healthy people unless it's emagged so this wouldn't be a problem.

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar

Small and Blue posted:

Dammit, I suggested this a while back and it still hasn't been put in!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

http://forum.ss13.co/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2532 posted:

Space bees are the most sacred creature on the station, so what could be better than letting spacemen be more like them?

The Honey Producer Mutation

Affected crewmen should keep a track of how much sugar they have metabolised, or has decayed in their bodies. Activating the mutation would then cause them to regurgitate a blob of honey laced with a portion of whatever non-sugar reagents are presently active in their system. Attempting to activate it without any sugar could just cause some gross message about vomiting. It could also be used to produce a special message when used near real space bees, which could laugh at the 2d spaceman trying to emulate them, or factor into some hilariously convoluted Solarium sequel.

In short, a mutation like this would be fun, have practical uses (detox, sharing chemicals, making money off honey) without breaking the game, give more of a use for candy, and be completely in-keeping with all the bee-themed fun stuff around in Goonstation.

Vote for beepeople.

I know I'm posting my own thread here, but this kind of thing really has to happen.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
A vote for beepeople is a vote for prosperity.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Sub-humans would just be interesting in general, provided it doesn't get too wierd. Would certainly make the geneticist's lives interesting if, in addition to x-ray eyes, they started sporting bone blades and wings.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I kinda like that idea. Some geneticist accidentally finds a gene that can turn humans into horror-form changelings, but with all the crippling painful deformations and none of the strength or capabilities.

And then quickly figures out a way to make it drinkable and sends a shipment to the bar.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I would like that, or just make drinking unstable mutagen have a load more horrible mutations. Last time I took it I ended up a fat dwarf that couldn't fit into his detective clothes anymore (making the gun useless in the process). If I could randomly generate say, gecko feet that made me not slip on wet floors or duck feet that would just cripple my ability to run fast then I would poison so many people while being a traitor.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

By the time the shuttle came, they had killed each other out of panic and fear, and one of the few survivors was begging someone to operate the telescience computer and bring her back.

I was so happy to oblige. :getin:

Probably a little late, but that was me! I got there late in the round, saw someone dragging a corpse around and a fight ensued... I assumed I'd somehow taken down the 'ling, so I asked for transport back. Barely had time to thank you before :aaaaa:

I think I laughed for a minute straight afterwards, it was incredible. Just like that John Carpenter movie, Ghosts of Mars.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dabir posted:

Medbots do not inject styptic. If you have brute damage over their damage threshold they inject saline. Ditto with burns. For toxin damage they inject charcoal, for suffocation damage they drop in salbutamol. Injection and ingestion are the same thing, per the recipe manager:

recipe manager posted:

-INGEST: Does 0.5 tox damage per unit ingested. Don't eat it, don't inject it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Coolguye posted:

Medbots do not inject styptic. If you have brute damage over their damage threshold they inject saline. Ditto with burns. For toxin damage they inject charcoal, for suffocation damage they drop in salbutamol. Injection and ingestion are the same thing, per the recipe manager:

You're right about what medbots inject, but ingestion and injection will not produce the same effects. You don't inject styptic because it's hilariously ineffective that way, not because it's toxic.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

You're right about what medbots inject, but ingestion and injection will not produce the same effects. You don't inject styptic because it's hilariously ineffective that way, not because it's toxic.

Styptic injected with a needle is actually toxic I think - are you thinking of hyposprays? Hyposprays are weird and bypass the inject/ingest/touch effects, I believe.

Skwid
Aug 20, 2011

I got tired of being a loser so I spent money to not be a loser anymore.

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Styptic injected with a needle is actually toxic I think - are you thinking of hyposprays? Hyposprays are weird and bypass the inject/ingest/touch effects, I believe.

This is correct.

From the wiki for the lazy:

quote:

Some chemicals have a special effect upon TOUCH exposure to a mob. Acids that burn your face off and topical meds are examples of this. Droppers, splashing, patches, chemical smokes and chemical foams apply touch reactions. INGEST reactions are things that happen immediately, usually from eating, drinking or injection. Hyposprays bypass these and go straight into the bloodstream.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Phlogistine has a neat effect when ingested; the person will catch fire over and over again even if the fire is put out by means such as a fire extinguisher. This is really useful as a traitor barman, especially if you begin asking if people want their drinks "extra spicey".

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So how are you supposed to play medical doctors? Beg chemistry for healing chems while they make meth and black powder?

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

There should be enough medkits to go around for the average round, healing patches on brute damage and burn patches on burn damage, but if you find yourself running low after a couple of disasters, use the handy cargo dock that sits between medbay and chemistry, and the computer inside to order some more medical chems or medkits from QM. If you want the really fancy chems, you could bribe the chemists with a hypostim maybe, if asking doesn't work.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm the only chemist that makes a ton of medicine. :smith: I just like doing it. Like when I'm the medical director and I get a belt loaded with various hypos (anti-tox, salicylic acid, etc) and patches and a backpack full of kits. I never get to use them though because I inevitably get murdered by a cloaker with a spacker-12.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There's two basic ways to play a Doctor:

1) Load up a few medkits and respond to calls for help as an 'ambulance' style medic. You may want to 'obtain' a flash and take a welding mask from the warehouse in this case, as doctors outside of medbay can become targets for their medkits from traitors.

2) Stay in Medbay, keep it looking nice, and heal anyone who comes in. This is what I usually do when playing as the Med Director or Doctor.

Regardless of what you do, there's a few things I like to do as setup:
  • Stop by the Warehouse to take the Firebot and the Cleanbot. Put the firebot behind the main medbay doors and put the cleanbot in the surgery bay. Use the cleanbot to clean up the blood and vomit. People are more likely to presume Medbay is hosed and break in to rob you blind if there's blood, piss, and vomit everywhere. You'll still probably get a couple people doing this, but hey, less thievery is good.
  • Obtain a set of tools and a stack of floor plates for repairing the medbay floor. If a bomb goes off or someone lights an incendiary grenade, repair the floor. People are more likely to bring their wounded in if Medbay doesn't look like poo poo.
  • Get a welding mask and flip it up. If you hear the sound of flashes going off, pull it down.
  • Get a set of Prodoc Healthgoggles. Seriously, just do it.
  • Set up a medbot in the lobby to inject 15 units and give it a health threshold of 5. Tell the crew that you've set up the medbot to do that. This will get a lot of yellow-health hypochondriacs out of your hair. Know how to build new medbots from parts. If the Head Surgeon is a box and/or Robotics are nerds and won't build you more, go grab parts from Tool Storage and build a couple from O2 medkits, which are rarely used.
  • Set up a medbot in the surgery bay with 15 injection and a health threshold of 20. This will keep him in the surgery bay instead of running all over creation, which can be really helpful when you get a critical patient in. A quick blast of saline does a LOT to stabilize someone.
  • Use the O2 tank near Cryo to fill an emergency tank, and set internals.
  • Prepare your PDA for the worst. Delete the crap like Robustris and copy your reagent and health scanners over to the main drive. Buy another cartridge from CartyParty that you like. Buy a high powered flashlight module and install it. If you're super paranoid, buy another PDA and stash it in your internals box in case yours gets bombed. I cannot describe to you how many lives I have saved - including my own - because my PDA was up to the task.

Doing all this will probably take you the first 10 minutes of the round or so, which is fine - it takes antags that long to get their schemes going, so if you don't have some busy work to do, you'll just be bored while you wait for something to blow up. I also recommend knowing how to hack into an APC to change the battery. If Engineering are idiots, Medbay is always one of the first places to lose power, and without your vending machines you are quite dead in the water. If you know how to hack an APC to change the battery, you can break into Robotics, steal a 15k battery, and change the Medbay APC's battery, which is in maintenance just north of the Med Director's office. Its default battery is 2.5k, so if you pop in a fresh 15k battery you'll frequently have enough juice to run Medbay the rest of the round, regardless of the engine's status.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 11, 2014

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

By the way, the sleepers inject saline, so if someone is dying and you are completely out of everything, you can stick them in and and jab them full of saline real quick. Can't remember if you can overdose on saline at the moment though..

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You can overdose on anything in the sense that if you get like 200u of stuff in your body it's not going to accept anymore, but there is no specific overdose for saline the way there is for, say, painkiller. Really, if saline was easier to come by, jacking yourself up to 150u of the stuff early on in the round would put you under saline effects for almost 20 minutes. Could be quite useful for, say, the bartender.

I was unaware that sleepers inject saline, though. Is that a recent change? How does it work? Do you need someone at the console saying 'inject rejuvenators' or whatever the thing is?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 11, 2014

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
A nice thing to know as a medic is how to apply a small dose from a beaker for touch reactions. Pressing C while a beaker is active will tighten your grip and make it so that applying it will only administer 10 unit doses instead of splashing all of it. The great thing is that using a beaker on a person is instantaneous, so you don't have to worry about the patient fidgeting, which can be a problem with syringes and droppers. Loading up two beakers with styptic and silver sulfadiazine pretty much amounts to having 5 patches of each medicine that only take two inventory slots and can be replenished easily by stopping by a reserve tank.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Yeah, you put someone in and then you go to the console and inject as much saline as you want. It's basically free saline! It's been like that since you could overdose on epi, I think.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Just tried it. To be clear, it injects 5 units per click, and will refuse to inject if the addition would take you over 30 units.

Since the sleepers are out in the lobby this seems mostly useful for people triaging their own wounded buddies, though. You can't inject it in yourself unless you get clever with the interface, so it seems minimally useful. Still, interesting niche there. Saline is definitely a life saver with NeuCrit being what it is.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Ah, though it was ten units per click with a max of around 100, so yeah that's not very much. I honestly forget about the sleepers too often for them to be too much of help, but if the power's out and someone is in crit, it makes a difference.

Another thing you can do as a doctor is empty out the spray bottle in the break room and fill it full of styptic powder/silver sulfadiazine/synthetic flesh and spray people with it, any chems that work on touch will do, quick and easy to use and if you have a bunch of patients to work on, sometimes time can be valuable.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Coolguye posted:

Lots of really good instruction
This is awesome and you are awesome. I shall definitely have to keep this in mind from now on, particularly things like kitting out your PDA, which I would never have thought to do.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm the only chemist that makes a ton of medicine. :smith: I just like doing it. Like when I'm the medical director and I get a belt loaded with various hypos (anti-tox, salicylic acid, etc) and patches and a backpack full of kits. I never get to use them though because I inevitably get murdered by a cloaker with a spacker-12.
I only know how to make synthflesh, and Styptic so I can make synthflesh. I really need to play as a Chemist more often, and sit down with the Wiki to learn all the decent chems.

0lives posted:

Another thing you can do as a doctor is empty out the spray bottle in the break room and fill it full of styptic powder/silver sulfadiazine/synthetic flesh and spray people with it, any chems that work on touch will do, quick and easy to use and if you have a bunch of patients to work on, sometimes time can be valuable.

This is something I do in any round I can get to a dispenser to make the stuff, or if I can get hold of a spray bottle as a Scientist. I normally make up like 250 units (or more, if Chemistry hasn't blown up by then), which is enough to keep you going for some time. And if you don't die, it comes in handy when everyone's trying to get themselves killed in the Escape shuttle.

Oh, on that note, making synthflesh requires blood which makes it really annoying to put together in large batches. Is there a quicker way of getting blood than draining 15 units at a time in a syringe? Also, is there a limit to the amount of blood you can draw?

oblongus
Sep 2, 2011
Playing as a medical doctor on a busy round is basically hard mode on this game, it's the ultimate ss13 challenge. In my opinion the best things to have are synthflesh spray bottles and 24 unit atropine pills, but testing different loadouts is most of the fun.

edit: you can use syringes for blood much quicker using the page up and page down buttons, apart from that there is no shortcut I know of. Doesn't take long to make enough synthflesh for the whole crew if you use reserve tanks/watering cans (try the soviet derelict), there is no limit to your own blood

oblongus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

TheDarkFlame posted:

I only know how to make synthflesh, and Styptic so I can make synthflesh. I really need to play as a Chemist more often, and sit down with the Wiki to learn all the decent chems.
Learn how to make pentetic acid. It takes a bit of time, but it's a massive improvement over plain old charcoal when you have to detox someone.

• Locked thread