Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Riidi WW
Sep 16, 2002

by angerbeet

Cog05 posted:

It's probably a bad sign when your iconic character is generic two-weapon fighter that's still dead weight in a party.

a 30% chnce not to sit out the fight with a monster 1 level below him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Guys I'm scared, I just read through a thread on RPGnet and found myself going 'yea these guys are right'! I mean yea I hate Pathfinder and all but they weren't comparing it to a videogame or pre-teen boys getting sucked off...I think RPGnet may, at it's core....be normal.

:unsmith:

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
doubletroublepost but:

quote:

should also note that this version of Valeros has 70 skill points, which he very well could have spent on skills to make him a more Charismatic leader type, but his skill list was based off his 3.5 selections. He could have just as easily had Bluff +10, Diplomacy +10, Sense Motive +10, a number of Knowledge skills at +10, and a few other skills as well. Throw in a feat or two to boost his bonuses and he very well could have been a skill focused fighter.

That was his best one.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Expert pathfinder development logic, obviously the problem with the fighter was that his AC/AB numbers were not high enough, that'll fix 'em YEAH. Well we also need to buff casters because that's what we third-party publishers do.

Is there a splatbook that doesn't buff casters?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

shotgunbadger posted:

Guys I'm scared, I just read through a thread on RPGnet and found myself going 'yea these guys are right'! I mean yea I hate Pathfinder and all but they weren't comparing it to a videogame or pre-teen boys getting sucked off...I think RPGnet may, at it's core....be normal.

:unsmith:

Just pop in on tangency and pick any thread you'll find a cure.

Also, they're beating the wizard vs. fighter dead-horse arguement like it hasn't been hashed out in a hundred other threads and that's pretty annoying.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Panzeh posted:

Expert pathfinder development logic, obviously the problem with the fighter was that his AC/AB numbers were not high enough, that'll fix 'em YEAH. Well we also need to buff casters because that's what we third-party publishers do.

Is there a splatbook that doesn't buff casters?

Didn't even Complete Warrior give us caster feats designed around breaking down AC and such?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Man, the word i'd use to describe what i've seen of Pathfinder so far is amateur, it's like seeing some guys random (but rather comprehensive it seems) house rules, except he also paid to have artists draw for his house rules booklet. And yes, I am getting worringly in agreement with the people in that thread.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The biggest WTF illusion-interrupt is the designer answering (surprisingly valid) criticism with apologies.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Basically Pathfinder is turning into everything I thought it would.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

HKR posted:

Basically Pathfinder is turning into everything I thought it would.

I just find it bewildering that people can be so BLIND to its flaws. It was supposed to be for people who prefer 3.5 but acknowledge it has problems, mostly related to balance. Fix the problems without messing with the core design. I don't think this is honestly possible but you can at least try.

At this point they're just regressing to the same bullcrap that 4e naysayers/3.5 purists keep saying. "Fighters aren't useless, not everything has to be for twinks stupid!"

Like serious how can you ignore that? It's a tabletop game whether you like it or not your numbers come into play.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Soiled Meat
Reading that thread has actually opened my eyes to the mechanical imbalances of casters versus non-casters (specifically, fighters) in a way I didn't appreciate before. I'm not sure whether I should be scared that I've just been informed by RPG.net.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

That's the true horror of RPGnet. It's 90% godawful poo poo, but that useful 10% of the site is pretty useful.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Soiled Meat
I don't mind playing fighters and the like in 3.5, and until now I've never really appreciated the furore surrounding the imbalance between casters and non-casters. Those examples, plus the linking of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NTAAvJIGrs have made me realise why people could feel marginalised.

In light of this, yeah, that Pathfinder designer is a tool.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Soiled Meat
From the worst gaming experiences thread:

Lotish posted:

I just found out about this thread. I can't say for sure if I've had experiences quite on par with some of these (and if I have, I've mercifully put them out of mind), but I can contribute some which are not entirely my experience (those come from situations involving DnD players outside of roleplay) but are partially my fault.

I got into DnD at complete random when a guy I knew at school called me up in the middle of the night and invited me to play 2nd edition. I met the guy who'd become my best friend that night, long after the guy who invited me gave up gaming in a completely unrelated rage and eventually moved to Colorado to open a bar. (Before he left, though, I did get the rather hilarious experience of baby-sitting a group of teenagers on acid in the middle of a DnD game.)

My friend decided to continue running games for a while, and his first game to DM was my future wife's first game ever. We stayed up for about 32 hours playing a poorly employed Ravenloft adventure involving Lord Soth the death knight. My friend, who was my girlfriend's ex-boyfriend (I'm not sure I was aware of that at the time) decided to make part of Soth's campaign focus on my wife's draconoid cleric, and she interpreted the actions of this undead monstrosity very... vividly. The actions of another player resulted in my girlfriend's character dying horribly by a misdirected death-ray. The emotional experience was such that my wife had lucid nightmares about being stalked and raped to death by Lord Soth for some weeks after that, even after her character was revived and the campaign moved on to completely different settings.

I suppose the moral of that is careful how you play with ex-significant others or you may charge it with unresolved sexual tension and nightmares.

Anyway, after a while my friend got tired of DMing and I decided to step to the plate. I'm...well, I'm a 'kick in the door' style of gamer from an outstanding point of view. I'm comfortable playing along with social games, but I like action. My first game ever was just a 3 in the morning "roll 'em up and I'll kill 'em off" sort of affair where we just dropped the characters--literally; they took falling damage and the dwarf actually split open his brain pan and went into a coma as they hit the ground--into a desert and put them up against psionic spider slavers (I think it was a monster called the Negru or something like that). I took absurd delight in brutalizing PCs and NPCs alike, and thought it immense fun for some time to see how I could imaginatively turn their dice rolls into horrific imagery. I did eventually tone it down after I got used to the power (which invariably comes with being the only guy in a group who likes to DM regularly), but even when it did I still liked to use graphic detail. This had an unexpected bit of karmic payout later:

I was running a campaign that my best friend was interested in getting into with his girlfriend at the time. One of the things my friend had been sure to point out was his character's boyish waifishness and pale, soft features (which were by no means standard to his repertoire--he preferred tall, strong, and dark goth characters and wanted to branch out into something less intimidating). He also happened to be the first to encounter the regional "marshal" regime enforcer--a whip wielding sorceress with a butch bent to her personality. She decided she wanted to interrogate said character, and so captured him. As the scene played out, though, I made the mistake of playing with the idea of her attraction to my friend's character, and she propositioned him, giving him an out from his current situation. My friend and I had long teased each other with bisexual commentary (because it was high school and we were comfortable with that) but I think he may have taken my RP of this strong, lonely, but evil woman dominating a thin, defenseless man as something more, or perhaps he was just really in character, but he resisted, and how. My "marshal" had shocking grasp and tried to use it, in my mind, like a stun gun. I rolled the damage and to the horror of everyone at the table, she rolled enough to nearly kill him, and he started to die. As she tried to revive him, the heroes who were trying to rescue my friend's character were bursting in from downstairs, and everything ended up with his character being basically sexually molested and murdered while everyone else stood by, helpless and horrified. Entirely not my intention, but that's hardly what counts, is it?

It's still one of those 'moments' that my friend brings up whenever someone asks him what it's like letting me DM.

I'm not sure I can quite find the words. Is this grognards.txt material?

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Etherwind posted:

From the worst gaming experiences thread:

I'm not sure I can quite find the words. Is this grognards.txt material?

This is quintessential grognards.txt material.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

quote:

I find I don't dislike the system of 4th edition. I dislike how wizards is handeling (sic) it. With 3.5 they realized the players handbook, DM's guide, and monster manual and thats all you needed. The players handbook had all the information you needed and all the races and classes you want to play as and then they had a bunch of other books tact (sic) on there that you didn't need but were awesome to have (like the complete worrier (sic), complete arcane, ect)

Now wizards has made it so they have like three players handbooks planned, if your a Ranger and you want a pet you have to get a completely different book, and they basically made the add on's required instead of something you can choose for fun.

Basically I don't dislike 4th edition. I dislike Wizards because the changes they made were one's to make D&D more profitable and less over whelming for new player (whether that is good or bad I have no clue) and if they don't like me pirating there (sic) poo poo I feel should have been in the first players handbook then they can...sue the guy uploading the stuff.

Badly spelled, incoherent and typically grognardy from a player who probably never bought a book in his life.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

quote:

complete worrier

Sounds like the perfect prestige class for Manuel of the Planes! :ohdear:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Bob Smith posted:

Badly spelled, incoherent and typically grognardy from a player who probably never bought a book in his life.

Maybe im wrong here but 4e doesn't seem any more or less reliant on splatbooks than 3.5, its just categorized them by a more consistant naming scheme.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RagnarokAngel posted:

Maybe im wrong here but 4e doesn't seem any more or less reliant on splatbooks than 3.5, its just categorized them by a more consistant naming scheme.

That, and I just can't get over how you don't really NEED to buy any books to have all the material legit anymore.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Hello,

in the first days, weeks and even month of 4th Edition D&D we were really excited about the whole new thing. Easy-to-learn rules, clear, understandable and still sorta complex. A system, that is so balanced, that it's fun for everyone...at least for a while.
So don't get me wrong, we had a great time with the 4th Edition.
We met once a week, despite the huge distance. Some of us suscribed to DDI, hoping that the GameTable would come out soon. These were the hopes of 2008.

What's up now ? We're just sick of it. As soon as we reached the mid of paragon tier everything got so incredibly boring. So we started with the PHB2 new characters at mid-heroic. But new classes, same old repetitions. Encounters are either auto-success or so frustrating because you miss 80% of the time. Again: Everything is sooo perfectly balanced. So balanced, that it's no fun anymore. I'm a wizard fanatic. Soon I realized, that Rituals were all but useful with their casting times.
And no, its not because of the DM. We switched DM, and all of us played in different games on different tables.

So you may still say, it is just us ?

I don't want to cry on, so ill keep it rather short: Few weeks ago we switched back to 3.5
And although we had a funny time with 4e for a while, 3.5 is the way to go for us. We feel much better with the good old and still well balanced system. But: Some of us sold our old books.
And since theyre out of print, the prices - at least for our german books - are like 120$ (approx. 100€) for the PLAYERS HANDBOOK!
Can you imagine that ?
Is it just us ? Check this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160335619385

No, i don't think its just us. So, WoTC, please tell me. Was it your marketing strategy to throw a bunch of short-time exciting, but long-time very boring stuff onto the market ? If so, why don't you return to 3.5. Or let them run both at the same time.
Just check eBay, for how much 3.5 stuff goes.
Just check the link above: Nearly every WoTC-4e-Book in there. For the same price as the PHB 3.5!!!

Are you afraid, that you cant compete with Pathfinder ? Thats ******** in my eyes. Not enough people even know of Pathfinder. And Pathfinder has not that much material as 3.5.

It's time to get back now.

I also sold all my 4e stuff and didnt get much more for that.
What I want to say is just: Bring back 3.5
At least paralel. You dont need to bring new material, there is plenty. But just keep selling those books. And if its just for the $$$-sake: So many people want to buy 3.5 stuff and pay amazing money for that.
Imagine, WoTC, how much you could sell those books for now!
Now, that people get fed up with the sterile, over-balanced 4th Edition.
Now, that people want to return to the good old system, made by people whom you fired.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1194010

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I'm having a hard time taking that to be true because every hobby shop I go into 3.x stuff is on sale at half price soooooo

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
It still amazes me after all these years of reading crazy internet posts how out of touch people are with reality. I suppose I am just easily amazed.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Seftir posted:

I'm having a hard time taking that to be true because every hobby shop I go into 3.x stuff is on sale at half price soooooo

Half price? Pfft. I got 3.5 PHB, DMG, MM, and Complete Adventurer for 20 bucks total at my comic shop.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

Are you afraid, that you cant compete with Pathfinder ?

haha yeah wotc is quaking in their loving boots

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Thats ******** in my eyes.

what? making GBS threads?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Seftir posted:

Thats ******** in my eyes.

what? making GBS threads?

bull poopy I assume. you cant swear on the internet

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

RagnarokAngel posted:

bull poopy I assume. you cant swear on the internet

I couldn't loving agree more.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Dungeons and Dragons 4th ed is challenging only to those with a lack of Imagination, its like using a complicated coding system for years and then going back to playing with toy-blocks so you can make towers to topple over...

I am unfortunate enough to have bought the 4th Edition books and then realized that I hated it, committed suicide and been raised by my friends who cursed me so I could never commit suicide ever again...

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
-Heat oven to 450 degrees.
-Place your 4th edition books in for 1.5 hours or until golden brown.

Stop eating this crap RAW.

It has a direct relationship to GP equivalents. Any DM that forces you to play 4th to begin with, likewise any DM running 4th that doesn't allow any access to residuum until you have magic items to disenchant to prevent form using any rituals is an arse.

It is pretty counter-productive to have a system in place to replace non-combat spells, and allow any class to use this system, but relegate it to a level 8 party that have excess magic items to turn into spell ritual components.

(this one was pretty good too)

----

Do the 4th edition books dress you in the morning?

You don't have to use exotic locales only for places that use residuum. You can re-introduce electrum pieces into 4th if you so desire.

Residuum can be used for currency and many threads on many forums over this past year, including on by Mike Mearls has explained in part how to use it as such.

Either way you only get 30% value for a magic item when selling or by disenchanting said item by RAW.

Feel free to work out the effective level you need to be to afford said reagents vs residuum and what levels you would have to be to use the straight RAW "core" version of residuum based rituals.

You will find rituals take a while to be able to get to unless you have Ye Olde Magick Item Shoppe waiting for you to buy residuum for 500% its GP value in useless +1 daggers.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Aren't you just able to buy generic "ritual components"?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There's a sort of perfectly non-magical ritual ingredient for each of the four key skills. Residuum can stand in for any of them.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

There's a sort of perfectly non-magical ritual ingredient for each of the four key skills. Residuum can stand in for any of them.

and for most low level rituals you need about 10 gold worth of those ingredients for casting.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Didn't most spells in 3 and below require material components of dubious availability? I seem to a recall a feat that was all but needed for casters with RAW.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The 3E book that I just checked says that unless a material component has a cost listed, just assume that you've got sufficient amounts on you for casting over the course of your adventure.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Everyone I know who played 3rd didn't give a poo poo about components unless we're talking about 5,000 GP diamonds for resurrection and stuff.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Spell components are pointless unless you're talking 5000gp diamons. It would be just tedious to have to keep track of bat poo poo, ash, wax and magic dust. 'Sorry Mr. Magician, we're all out of virgin toe nail clippings, how about this magic dirt?'

I do however like spell components listed for flavour purposes.

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

The 3E book that I just checked says that unless a material component has a cost listed, just assume that you've got sufficient amounts on you for casting over the course of your adventure.

If you bought a spell component pouch (25gp) or took the right feat. And if your pouch got stolen, as was one of the classic DM strategies for making fighters useful sometimes... well, you pulled out one of the dozen spares you kept, because they were so cheap.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
I love when these posts talk about how restrictive 4e is on your imagination, and how their vast and wonderful imaginations flourished in 3.5, and that their creative ability is all but banished thanks to those loving demons at WoTC.

And then their next complaint is some hand-wringing poo poo like "And we can't even cast rituals until 8th level because the book says so!". Where's your imagination now, dip poo poo? loving figure it out if it's such a big deal, use that amazing imagination of yours. What's worse is you know the version of 3.5 they play is all house ruled to hell and back just to make it tolerable, but they act as if they're completely powerless against this new, awful edition.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Joudas posted:

I love when these posts talk about how restrictive 4e is on your imagination, and how their vast and wonderful imaginations flourished in 3.5, and that their creative ability is all but banished thanks to those loving demons at WoTC.

And then their next complaint is some hand-wringing poo poo like "And we can't even cast rituals until 8th level because the book says so!". Where's your imagination now, dip poo poo? loving figure it out if it's such a big deal, use that amazing imagination of yours. What's worse is you know the version of 3.5 they play is all house ruled to hell and back just to make it tolerable, but they act as if they're completely powerless against this new, awful edition.

You also forgot "Dumbed down for WoW players" then "combat is too complex because you have to use abilities I mean theres 3 kinds with status effects to track its too much man" all in the same paragraph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Personally, I don't get the 'dumbed down for WOW players' thing because I've watched people play that and have them try to explain to me what's going on and it flies over my head every time.