Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Week 1, grain of salt, etc. but at best the Dolphins will get a wildcard playoff game this year, tua will be judged as not good enough and have to move back in with his dad, and a divorced Tom Brady will play for Miami in 2023, which will be the year...thanks to Brady, which many of us won't be comfortable with. Brady will finally retire for good, but not before invoking a black magic ritual ensuring Miami never wins the division again.

Or maybe it's wait and see.

I am hoping for Jackson, but broadly speaking I agree with the first part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Week 1, grain of salt, etc. but at best the Dolphins will get a wildcard playoff game this year, tua will be judged as not good enough and have to move back in with his dad, and a divorced Tom Brady will play for Miami in 2023, which will be the year...thanks to Brady, which many of us won't be comfortable with. Brady will finally retire for good, but not before invoking a black magic ritual ensuring Miami never wins the division again.

Or maybe it's wait and see.

I think that a wildcard exit is a likely outcome of the season, but I also think that McDaniel's history bodes well for Tua. The niners have had a lot of success with "good enough" QBs, and I could definitely see Tua offering that level of play. If there's a top talent available, I'm sure they'd go for it, but historically those types of guys don't become available very often.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Diva Cupcake posted:

Weren't all of those guys on the vet minimum? They were scrap heap pickings.

Pats only had money for those guys, and nothing to really trade. That's the point, Bill sold 2019-2020 down the river for 2016-2018. The crash was inevitable, which is why Brady was already out the door, and Belichick gave him what he wanted as best he could in his last year. It just had no real chance of working because the guys that he could get that Brady would actually play with were all washed.

Kalli posted:

The Pats FA spending last year was better then you'd normally get from FA's.

They signed 4 expensive guys (which okay, that's pretty ridiculous right there) and had a major hit in Judon, and your typical A money for B player in Henry, and two A money for C players in Judon and Aghalor. Add on Bourne as a B hit for C money and that's a good FA period when you're trying to build and develop a rookie. That left them hamstrung for this year in FA, but that's fine, they can be free of everything but the Judon contract this year if needed. The coaching stuff is at best a major concern, so yeah, bang on that all day. But the FA stuff and Belichick's work in the draft the last 3 offseasons has looked pretty positive.

I'm not saying 2021 was an awful set of FA signings, I'm saying that it would have been better to try to spend to prepare for the future rather than spend the money for two years just because you can, since they weren't going to be great last year or this year anyway.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

They also traded away picks for Sanu (a 2nd), Michael Bennett (5th) and backup line help (4th) in 2019, none of which worked out. And Antonio Brown cost them $10m in dead money, half of which was pushed out to 2020 (a year in which they had the 3rd worst dead money in the league)

idk, for Bill Belichick, that seems pretty "selling out" to me. And he was clearly trying to keep Brady happy

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah, Tua had a few head scratchers but he was the better QB of the two yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3A-q7UKWOA

It gets ugly at the end. Why risk it so often just to throw away.

Yeah. I’m watching this going ok, the very first pass of the game was pretty bad. And then he could have thrown the deep crosser to Hill better in the 3rd quarter but otherwise, I don’t understand why the criticism?

And then the 4th quarter rolls in and just YUCK.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Also that 3rd an 1 swing pass to Reek was a terrible call.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

tua is a land of contrasts

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Good outcome for Mac.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1569392099434299392

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Watched that Tua video and it's just really underwhelming. We heard all summer about how Hill and Waddle would help take the top off of defenses but it felt like there were only three passes more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. His arm strength looked sus on a lot of his throws on the run. Felt like an average performance from Teddy Bridgewater.

His line looked pretty bad, though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

thank god we have Skylar Thompson

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I do like that Grier and McDaniel surrounded him with guys who can make it happen on their own. I hate to throw in the towel on the guy but the idea of these guys catching passes from Lamar as he extends plays is really intriguing.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

TheBizzness posted:

I do like that Grier and McDaniel surrounded him with guys who can make it happen on their own. I hate to throw in the towel on the guy but the idea of these guys catching passes from Lamar as he extends plays is really intriguing.

That's kinda the thing I'd worry about after this game. Hill and Waddle turned several dogshit throws into nice plays, even saving a brain dead interception. In the long run that's probably not how you want your QB to succeed.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

If Tua plays like that all year, I will be shocked if McDaniel and Grier conclude, "We're set at QB!" and choose to extend Tua this next offseason.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Lefty Jimmy G

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It's weird that all these are realistic options for 2023:

- Tom Brady gets divorced and signs with Miami

- Trade for Lamar

- Tua improves enough that we give it another year

- 49ers are terrible and we draft a QB with their first rounder

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

It's weird that all these are realistic options for 2023:

- Tom Brady gets divorced and signs with Miami

- Trade for Lamar

- Tua improves enough that we give it another year

- 49ers are terrible and we draft a QB with their first rounder

I think 1-3 are all very unlikely.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think 1-3 are all very unlikely.

man, you're gonna be so confused and mad when tom brady is a dolphin :smugdog:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Ehud posted:

I sure am.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ehud posted:

I’ll be confused but I sure as hell won’t be mad.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

New England has the fate it deserves and always has deserved post-Brady

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Tua didn’t dispel any notions about himself yesterday but I don’t think you can discount that Belichick has made better quarterbacks look much worse than that in recent memory. Maybe it isn’t the same caliber defense but that’s a better performance than all but one or two guys put up on the Pats last year as modest as it was. McDaniel was pretty much upfront about Belichick winning the coaching battle on this one, it’s just it didn’t matter for other reasons.

Nov 6, 2002

Chris James 2 posted:

New England has the fate it deserves and always has deserved post-Brady

The worst thing for New England this season is to just kinda be mediocre and on the cusp of chasing a wildcard but missing (eg the Dolphins for basically two decades). Better to be absolute dogshit and get some people fired/retired.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Oh man, I can’t imagine how difficult it must have been for him to play under these circumstances. So sad.

https://twitter.com/connor_j_hughes/status/1569401294934216712?s=46&t=F5JeInf2Ya4RYhSigl4-iQ

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Saleh getting a bit punchy.

https://twitter.com/OptimisticJets/status/1569414695114752001

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Jets are gonna get relegated.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

LOL at the expansion team comment.

I have two views on this. On one hand, he’s a coach, what do you expect him to say? On the other, the Robert Saleh motivational soundbites are going to get stale fast this year if the team doesn’t get its act together.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Joe Judge combativeness before Week Two. Not a great sign.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

You can't expect us to be good, we were so terrible 4 years ago that we went 4-12! Now see, Joe Douglas improved the roster, and I coached them up, which is why last year we went, lemme see here, 4-13.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Diva Cupcake posted:

Lefty Jimmy G

Don't insult Jimmy like that

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

LOL at the expansion team comment.

I have two views on this. On one hand, he’s a coach, what do you expect him to say? On the other, the Robert Saleh motivational soundbites are going to get stale fast this year if the team doesn’t get its act together.

That expansion team won more games that he has. What does that say about his coaching?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

not great

https://twitter.com/Marcel_LJ/status/1569424120474963969?s=20&t=yM2CqbqwnkXemgr9MQtgCA

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Rookie UDFA from a division II school plays 18 snaps as a dime DB week one and ends two drives and arguably a third too. Footbaw is back baby

https://twitter.com/iamcuyler/status/1569136176182820864?s=20&t=dLIyFkZqvHoUs79S50i9Qw

https://twitter.com/FinCuts/status/1569024030933659648

https://twitter.com/AintChristLike/status/1569087548982689793

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 12, 2022

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I love Jevon Holland please give him a 10 year extension right now.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

My feelings on Tua are best expressed by something Jay Cutler once said as a Dolphin when he was asked how he felt:

"Not great, but not bad."

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
He’s very game managery but in a different way than Tannehill.

Nov 6, 2002

Tannehill seemed like a better natural athlete.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
He was but he had/has god awful pocket awareness

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1569485301315416066

<3

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jamal’s inability to intercept passes will never not be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Seahawks have less talent (or at least equal talent) than the Jets do and Geno loving Smith as their QB and they are like 10 billion times more ready to play than the Jets were. I'm like 95% out on the Jets coaching staff at this point.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 13, 2022