Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hello, I used 10 loops of material to game out a way to get the fabled 4 warehouse supply depot... Before realizing it maxes out at 2.

My napkin math has a build order of mudhut scaffolding because you can't place a warehouse before placing the supply depot. It could have been beautiful. It would have been glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
I think I'm basically through with the game - only a few achievements left to polish off and one puzzles me : "Trophy Hunter : defeat every enemy". I've got the full encyclopedia already, and also killed the frog king (who died in 3 seconds flat because necromancers are ridiculous) but still no dice. What/who am I missing ?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the difference between skeleton level and summon quality?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kobal2 posted:

I think I'm basically through with the game - only a few achievements left to polish off and one puzzles me : "Trophy Hunter : defeat every enemy". I've got the full encyclopedia already, and also killed the frog king (who died in 3 seconds flat because necromancers are ridiculous) but still no dice. What/who am I missing ?

Have you got the jellyfish the Siren summons if on chapter 4? That was the last one I needed.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Quality = % chance to summon an upgraded skeleton (guard, warrior), level is basically your damage, it scales skeleton damage and health.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Level makes them stronger, quality has a chance to replace Friendly Skeletons with Guardians (lower? DPS, more HP and enemies always attack it first) or Warriors (slightly slower but stronger attacks), or Archers with Mages (more DPS I guess?)

Honestly the only one that seems to make much of a difference is Guardians and even then only if you don't have one of the perks that makes necro insanely tanky.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
would love to see AlphaStar take a crack at this game

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Its been a while so I will argue that Crypt is always bad on every single character because two cabinets will net you more HP by the time you fight the 3rd and 4th bosses on Ch4 than a Crypt, and having another piece of equipment is an insane value. Necro also doesn't care about anything except Skeleton Level, so having lower quality loot will actually result in more grey/blue items which have higher base stats than yellows/oranges. I won on Loop 5 with zero +quality stat, +1 max skeleton from items, but my Skeleton level was through the roof and I shredded every boss

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Its been a while so I will argue that Crypt is always bad on every single character because two cabinets will net you more HP by the time you fight the 3rd and 4th bosses on Ch4 than a Crypt, and having another piece of equipment is an insane value. Necro also doesn't care about anything except Skeleton Level, so having lower quality loot will actually result in more grey/blue items which have higher base stats than yellows/oranges. I won on Loop 5 with zero +quality stat, +1 max skeleton from items, but my Skeleton level was through the roof and I shredded every boss

AFAIK Arsenal reduces the stats on items, not the rarity. So your loot will each have 15% less skeleton level than they would otherwise with the arsenal equipped.
That said I don't much like the crypt and think it's garbage unless you're specifically farming high volume enemies with souls for whatever reason.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smythe posted:

would love to see AlphaStar take a crack at this game

You mean the AI? This game is uh not super hard to solve.

I was writing a solver for it before I realized it was gonna be really simple and lost interest.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 20, 2021

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gerdalti posted:

Test your layouts here (with the absolute max found so far already showing with this link).
https://loopherolayout.xyz/?c=111221211211211211211211211211211212212121121112111211211122

Twice as many thickets as rivers. I feel like the second half of necessary info here is how many of each you draw.

I wish you could tell when your draw deck reshuffled, and the exact count of what's in it. Or is that listed somewhere? Or is it pure odds of drawing each card, no shuffles? Dammit, there's a reason most card games give you this info.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Broken Cog posted:

Have you got the jellyfish the Siren summons if on chapter 4? That was the last one I needed.

Yup, like I said my Encyclopedia is all filled out (I even unlocked every flavor entry just in case)

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Loop Hero. I've now beaten Chapter 4 with every class using the same settup between warrior and thief and it always looks like this. Once it's solved the game just can't deal with you anymore. I feel like a good chunk of cards are just useless and river/thicket stacking is just too good. Once you unlock the suburbs I don't think it's even possible to lose if you use them because you get game breaking perks so insanely fast.

What’s your go-to, one-size-fits-all deck?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Elentor posted:

You mean the AI? This game is uh not super hard to solve.

I was writing a solver for it before I realized it was gonna be really simple and lost interest.

ya i just wanna see what its item placement looks like. it builds weird rear end bases in sc2 but hell its high gm so gently caress it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

MussoliniB posted:

What’s your go-to, one-size-fits-all deck?

It's mostly just

Villages/Groves/Wheat Fields
River/Thickets/Suburbs
Vampire/Bookery/Outposts(I remove them for Necro tho)/Blood Grove
Oblivion

I place down two outposts on both sides of the camp just for extra targets during bosses, then I build around the camp trying to fit vampire houses into spots where they can effect multiple villages at once. Then I put a grove next to them so that the zombies get mulched by Blood Groves instead of eating/reviving randomly (Bonus if it hits the boss too) I also add in wheat fields time to time just to pump up healing if I'm in the mood for it. Bookery is just to keep that alternating pattern going while obliterating any village?'s that pop up. I just wind up lining outposts around groves/villages to help deal with the golemns the blood groves spawn.

Usually doing this means I'm never not at full health for the entire walk around and the only dangers are hitting the golems too much (thorns can hilariously make you do big damage to yourself when you're going super fast late game) and the bosses. Bandits can never actually spawn as the zombies take up the full tile space and they can't enter the count's lands when they're fixed so it's just not a issue.

Skill wise:
All of them benefit from the 'placing stuff gives you exp' and I take it asap

Warrior: Bubble shield is a must, attack goes up with each potion used and bottomless bottle for multi potion uses spiral out of control, stuns can be pretty fun too but honestly most warrior perks are meh to me outside those.
Thief: Old Wounds, Picky, Ratwolf friend (dies fast but hey extra not-you target) and the fencing skill that hits two enemies
Necro: The shared pain one, +1 skelly, Chance to summon a extra skelly, Residual Heat are all must haves- the unseen care or whatever is overhyped and has never done anything for me.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 21, 2021

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

ZypherIM posted:

Interesting, though this layout requires a lot more rivers. I like doing more of a layout in this style (https://loopherolayout.xyz/?c=111221211211211211211211211211211212212121121112111211211122 ) because of how my card distribution tends to be. It also still gives me more attack speed than I generally am after.

A few days late here, but I think you accidentally copy/pasted the same link.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

BobTheJanitor posted:

A few days late here, but I think you accidentally copy/pasted the same link.

My bad, copied the wrong link yea. Something like this https://loopherolayout.xyz?c=212222121121212212122121221212212122121221212212122111222222 gives you 188% which is way more than warrior/rogue needs, so you could trim it down with the blank tiles being burned forests to something like this: https://loopherolayout.xyz?c=010002121121210212102121021210212102121021210212102111000000 (116% aspd). Necro can use like 200-300% depending on what enemies you're spawning but you don't use burned forests, so you can easily get there without a super convoluted river layout.

I almost always run my river past some road tiles to spawn fish dudes, and if your build can handle it sirens are good. This is a lot easier to combo with a simpler river.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Crypt is way more consistent at beating the bosses. Crypt is also worse at looping forever afterwards, but you can still run anyone up to 20-30 pretty easily with it. I had a crypt necro that I just turned off at loop 33 because I still hadn't gotten an arsenal, and I didn't delete my guard towers so ghosts around the campfire took goddamn forever to die and I wanted to go to bed. Two cabinets will only net your more hp if you build a terrible loop full of poo poo like spiders, but you can use both, and if you use both and have an upgraded alchemist hut you can mostly ignore sustain type stats/traits (its how I did full swamps with a warrior: just make potions heal for lots and give you strength).

Crypt has 3 big advantages for why its more consistent, and they're all tied to the fact that the dangerous part of the game is early game.
1) Less item slots means that you get weapons coming up more often, which is the biggest factor in clearing loops/bosses. Eventually you get your loop to the point that this doesn't matter, but once you get there you should be in victory lap mode.
2) Hp from crypt keeps up with hp from armor so you're not really less survivable after the first couple loops for warrior/rogue. This means you can focus your armor slot just on strong secondary stats and you're never in a place where you're trading those for 300 hp or something. Necro has less pressure to take the scaling shield trait over any of the better traits (its still good though) or to upgrade necklace for magic shield over keeping the best set of skeleton stats.
3) The extra revive means that if your drops just completely fail to take off, you can often still limp through the first two bosses, and after you get past them it tends to be pretty clear sailing.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've beaten act 4 with the Rogue and the Necromancer, but I'm really hitting a wall with the Warrior. I can usually get to the second or third stage, but I get destroyed pretty quickly.

With Rogue I did thickets/rivers/sand dunes and concentrated on high Evasion and Damage to All. After the final boss, I went all the way to loop 51 with this build and could have gone further, but most of my loot was capped.

With Necro it was all thickets/rivers, and went for high Max Skeletons and Skeleton Level, grabbing Summon Quality when possible. It was actually a terrible run for gear luck, but I just slammed down every spawner I could and finished on loop 7.

With Warrior, I don't even know what strategy to use. Mountains and thickets? Does anyone even use meadows? I've just never had much luck with Warrior.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

I've beaten act 4 with the Rogue and the Necromancer, but I'm really hitting a wall with the Warrior. I can usually get to the second or third stage, but I get destroyed pretty quickly.

With Rogue I did thickets/rivers/sand dunes and concentrated on high Evasion and Damage to All. After the final boss, I went all the way to loop 51 with this build and could have gone further, but most of my loot was capped.

With Necro it was all thickets/rivers, and went for high Max Skeletons and Skeleton Level, grabbing Summon Quality when possible. It was actually a terrible run for gear luck, but I just slammed down every spawner I could and finished on loop 7.

With Warrior, I don't even know what strategy to use. Mountains and thickets? Does anyone even use meadows? I've just never had much luck with Warrior.

I don't use meadows because flat +day regen is really small. I'm not sure how many seconds are in a game day, but the amount of healing you get off a tile is really small, even if you boost them with rivers and chrono crystals.

This is the build I had when I beat the 4th act going for all swamps. Swamps+goblin camps+vamp mansion makes the enemies self murder themselves really fast, battlefields gives you extra souls and loot, temporal beacons make days past faster to keep your spawns full. Bookcases to cycle cards to ones you like and for extra cards later. The big thing is having a max herbalist hut, so you get 4 potions a loop and they heal 10% each.

Supply cabinets are good, I think I had 3 or 4 this run, but might have had 5? I can't recall, but only a handful (if it was 5 I had 950 hp from them). I had a couple alchemist shelves which are great for letting you stock up potions on good loops to use on rough ones. I had no herbalist scythe things, but those are amazing at +1% potion heal each.

You're looking for the +1.5 dmg on potion use trait, and the +50% hp shield per loop traits. Out of what I had, the "chance for full resource" is a slight increase in max hp (I only had 190 full resources at the time of the kill, so nearly nothing), the defense per loop is miniscule, but the window on kill thing is pretty good. The other good trait I didn't get is the "40% chance to not use a potion" one.

I used forests up to a bit over 100% attack speed, and then mostly focused on evasion. Early on I had some more lifesteal/regen when I didn't have as many swamps out, and on the final boss I swapped something with those on (which was unneeded: he didn't get through my trait hp shield). The mountains were ok, the extra hp is good because of potion scaling, but the goblins were really good to get a lot of easy enemies out, and a swamp camp with a vamp mansion dies fast and gives decent rewards.

I filled out tiles to make a prettier picture, you should obviously keep an open space for a lucky arsenal instead of 3 vamp mansions in a row haha.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

WhiteHowler posted:

As it happens, been tinkering with a meadow-warrior.
current deck is:

grove/cemetery
spider/vampire/bookery/chrono crystals
river/meadows/suburbs
oblivion/temporal beacon
arsenal

so a fair bit of overlap with other builds; big things are:
-no forests, meadow-warrior doesn't need much attack speed.
--Remember: Warriors attack grows the longer a fight lasts.
--Act 2 boss's gimmick might seem like trouble, but when you only need to get a few good hits in they just melt.
-Pair a river with meadows instead of forests to maximize daily regen. 200~300 daily regen or more by the time the act boss rolls around is nothing to sneeze at.
--Don't worry about pairing meadows with chronocrystals; it's nice if it happens naturally, but not worth going too out of the way for.
-slap down temporal beacons everywhere; the auras stack and a lucky loop layout can get a 300% time boost on the campfire and 150~200% elsewhere. maybe more.
--slapping down beacons everywhere means watchers, who reverse time in later acts. Get vampires to shut em down. I tried without in act 4, it did not go well.
-blade of dawn might not be literally essential but it's enough of a difference it may as well be. Always take it for meadow warrior when you can.

All this combined means your warrior will typically outheal any incoming damage once the pieces are in place; steadily building up strength to pulp enemies one by one.
Or if you have blade of dawn: steamroll every 2nd/3rd fight while having a good laugh.
Beyond the above, stacking Vampirism helps live long enough to get set up, moreso if you get gift of blood or, again, blade of dawn.
Managed act 3 with the meadow warrior, and hoping that this newer deck will fare better act 4 than the trimmed one I was trying out before.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 22, 2021

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

WhiteHowler posted:

I beat chapter 4 as warrior using rivers/forests/storm temples. Forests and thickets turn into the same thing when burnt so suddenly forests are a perfectly good tile rather than something you have to put up with while waiting to draw thickets. Since you're getting both damage and attack speed from tiles you can focus on defensive stats from gear, by the end of the run I had about 40% vamp and each attack would typically one-shot an enemy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, Warrior and Rogue don't mind Storm Temples, because they give them something productive to do with all those otherwise-clutter forests that come with Thickets. (Necromancer has no use for them since they don't affect the summons whatsoever, meaning it's only really noteworthy for goofy mirror builds)

Magic Damage may not scale as nicely as actual damage, but a little goes a long-way in the run-up to bosses, especially for Warrior who enjoys the tankier monsters like Flesh Golems and Skeletons for their sweet, sweet loot drops.

Generally with Warrior I'll forgo Suburbs, since really there's only two traits strong enough to warrant prioritizing and getting more HP (plus harpies and their drops) is generally more important than rushing a super-early Strong Aftertaste. It works just as fine halfway through a run as right at the beginning.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Well, magic damage is actually really good because it ignores armor (and maybe counter stuff too?). So against tankier enemies like skeletons or ghosts having good magic damage is required. Its actually the main reason why the watchtowers in camp are really bad for necro: your only magic damage source is mage skeletons, which you can't get out if you've got camp archers filling out those slots.

Suburbs in general I don't think are that great for warrior/rogue, though they're not *bad* and you can still win with them. The good thing about them is that if you're pushing to fight the boss asap you can often get more levels in, and getting a critical trait like the hp shield or picky can really make or break an aggressive run. Outside of that, especially if you're trying to loop a bunch after the boss, suburbs are exchanging space for levels, and the way that level xp scales you quickly get to the point where you're only 1 or 2 traits ahead of where you'd be without them, but you don't have 20-30 tiles worth of other benefit.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Well, the meadow-warrior viability test has been passed.
Act 4 Victory has been achieved, my first act 4 victory no less, though steam bugged out so no screenshots sadly.
Here's the big run breakdown:

Meadow Warrior Act4 Postmortum posted:

Bosses:
[Loop4>5]#1 Lich: hurt. badly.
-relied on reflect mirrors to pull through; but got through without using a resurrection charge.
[Loop5>6]#2 Priestess: no blade of dawn meant spending a while in the fight.
-Not entirely sure if the priestess/angel procced reflect, but grateful for the extra damage.
-Otherwise the fight was close, but not nearly as close as Lich.
[Loop6>7]#3 Hunter: still no blade of dawn. Hurt slightly less than Priestess, partly due to the dogs big attacks being greatly overrated for Meadow-Warriors.
-Dogs fell quickly, hunter soon after.
[Loop7>8]#4Omega: Yep, still no blade of dawn.
-Missing out on the damage/healing from blade of dawn hurt making the loop up to the boss more dangerous than it should've been.
-The boss himself? Chewed through article of protection and finished at ~1/3rd my health, though a few seconds later would've popped the daily heal.
-Never ended up using the spare resurrection charge after all.
-Poor boss never stood a real chance, even taking out my hand of cards with all the defense and health gained from said defense that entailed.

Final stats at start of Act 4 boss:
Potions: 4/9
HP: 2288/2288
EXP:16667/17010 :negative:
Damage: 30-45
Max HP Bonus: +1953
Damage To All: 1
Magic Damage: 19
Vampirism: 39%
Defense: 37
Counter: +5%
Evasion: 6%
Hp per day: +599HP
Bonus Exp: +75
Retaliation DMG: 19

Active Traits:
-Lightning Fast
-Card Sharp
-Article of Protection
-Shield of Faith
-Gift of Blood
-Battering Ram
-Somersault

Deck:
grove/cemetery
spider/vampire/bookery/chrono crystals
river/meadows/suburbs
oblivion/temporal beacon
arsenal

Layout:
For want of screenshots, had six full columns on the left to build a U-river with for once, the meadows nearest the loop to benefit from chronocrystals.
With my previous remarks on not going out of my way to pair river-meadows with chronocrystals in mind, the loop layout was favorable enough to net 13 chronoboosted river-meadows.
Of the five columns on the right, the nearest one was used to run more river-meadows while the other four were for suburbs.
Only had a mere 3 temporal beacons covering the camp, with a 2-3 average for other covered tiles.
Vampires a plenty to minimize watchers reversing time, and bookeries that by the final bosses death none had collapsed.

Supplies:
3x Alchemists Shelf/5x Count's Chair/5x Antique Shelf
1x Farmer's Scythe/7x Skinner's Knife/2x Kitchen Knife/2x Blacksmith's Hammer/4x Jewelers Lense
4x Mixed Nuts/4x Smoked Ham/2x Cheese/1x Loaf of Bread
4x Exquisite Mirrors/3x Old Paintings/1x Rare Book

For kicks, did a victory loop to see what the next trait options were.
Strong Aftertaste/Supplies/Blissful Ignorance.
even now, no blade of dawn.

In conclusion: river-Meadow Warrior is indeed a viable alternative to river-forest, the supplies used could've been improved, and this run had a mixed bag of luck flipping between holding it back (blade of dawn) and getting the cards needed loosely when they were, well, needed.
Also more enemies must've been doing magic damage than I would've thought given all the reflects.

Now that that's over with, time to reboot loop hero and make sure steam screenshots actually work this time before I consider doing the run again. :shepface:
or tackle a no-supply act4 meadow-warrior run, but I don't have the greatest faith in pulling that off novelty build or not.
or another novelty build? could be something to a daily temporal-beaconspam boosted-skeletrait necromancer run...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I hadn't considered actually going full Meadow heal with the warrior, and in retrospect I should have because I was getting some gnarly heals out of a fairly unspecialized Chrono Crystals/Rivers combo on them that was more afterthought than planned. Cool to see that it's a viable alternative to the obvious!

Arcanuse posted:

-slap down temporal beacons everywhere; the auras stack and a lucky loop layout can get a 300% time boost on the campfire and 150~200% elsewhere. maybe more.

Can you explain how temporal beacons interact with the campfire? I had thought they were only good for accelerating spawn rates, and thus only actually useful on the first few loops of a run before you're getting into enough fights that you don't need it, but you statement here implies some consequential things I was unaware of.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Simple enough:
-During fights time moves slower, so normally no days pass during them unless the time was close to a new day anyways.
-Temporal beacons don't just work on the map, they also work during fights.
-Stacking temporal beacons, then, means time (and thus days) pass far more often during fights, popping meadows healing/blade of dawns attackx2 all/and technically Necromancers 2 daily special skeleton guarantee.
-I will re-emphasize the importance of vampires here, particularly on later acts: Watchers reverse time, and this applies to stacking temporal beacons as well.
fighting a watcher with several beacons auras active can easily drain the better part of a day; shutting down monster generation/meadows healing/etc while they live and make getting stronger/or surviving hard fights even harder as a result.

As to how this interacts with campfires, eh.
Poor/hurried choice of wording on my part.
Temporal beacons interact with campfires the same as all other tiles; as far as I could tell there were no special benefits to get more out of the campfire itself.
Why it's important to do so anyways is because act boss fights occur on the campfire's tile.
Boss fights tend to last longer than regular fights, so stacking temporal beacons means it's normal to see two days, three, four, etc pass by during the fight, meaning even more meadows healing/blade of dawn/etc.

If the act boss appeared on a different tile, that would be the one to put as many beacons as possible around instead.
But since the boss appears on the campfire, campfire was the tile of choice.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
I managed to beat act 4 on every class using this deck, just add storm temples for rogue and warrior.
Most important thing was getting a vampire mansion down on as many separate slimes as early as possible and not increasing my strength in any way as long as possible to draw out fights for more spawns, only equip items that give defensive stats until you absolutely have to. Avoid having any fights near your campfire if you have watch towers.

start of loop 3 on a "bad" run where I only got 1 vampire mansion

Delamore fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 23, 2021

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I was playing around with that Temporal Warrior and easily stomped through Act 4 the first time out without ever breaking a sweat; I noticed that I had the little wispy things coming off of one of my villages during my first post-boss victory loop (Temporal, Vampire, Battle Field, Chrono Crystal -- I thought you needed more unique auras than that, so probably the Abandoned Bookery nearby counted) and figured I'd go ahead and hit the secret boss for the first time.

Temporal Warrior also completely stomped that without breaking a sweat.

Good gimmick, A+.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Apparently I am incapable of staying away from terrible(?) novelty builds.
Three of them, in fact.
The names/bare bone ideas are:

Meadowmancer/Necroguard
-Pretend you're a meadow-warrior and have your skeles counter things to death.
-Stands to be a very sad+slow build without skeleton levels+skeleton number.
--[Crypt for HP]+[MeadowDaily HP]+[Counter]

Chronomancer
-Remember me mentioning Necromancers have a trait that goes off daily? This is about pairing that with temporal beacons. So, so many beacons.
-Uses less terrain for normal landscape/river combos; if a temporal beacon could cover 1+ tiles there, it's reserved for a beacon.
--[Arsenal/Crypt]+[Attack Speed]+[Preparation for a Ceremony]+[All in on far too many Temporal Beacons]

[Necrostorm]/[Deathknight]
-Think someone joked about a magic damage necromancer before. Probably several someones.
-Deathknight is a forest-roasting arsonist who only cares about skeletons in as much that a full skeleton cap gives more time to hit things with their book.
-Packing reflection mirrors is a good idea.
--[Crypt for HP?]+[Attack Speed]+[Burned Forests]+[Storm Temples]

Incidentally, none of them really rely on skeleton quality, at least once the ball gets rolling.
Holding off on posting the actual writeup until they pass the act3 trial run(s); will edit the notes with what was learned in the attempt(s) then post it.
Folks can try em out now if they feel like trying out dubious builds, or wait for said follow-up to get better guidance on each.
Or run safer builds for profit instead of working with barebone "why would you do this" novelty runs I haven't even tested. :v:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcanuse posted:

Apparently I am incapable of staying away from terrible(?) novelty builds.
Three of them, in fact.
The names/bare bone ideas are:

Meadowmancer/Necroguard
-Pretend you're a meadow-warrior and have your skeles counter things to death.
-Stands to be a very sad+slow build without skeleton levels+skeleton number.
--[Crypt for HP]+[MeadowDaily HP]+[Counter]

Chronomancer
-Remember me mentioning Necromancers have a trait that goes off daily? This is about pairing that with temporal beacons. So, so many beacons.
-Uses less terrain for normal landscape/river combos; if a temporal beacon could cover 1+ tiles there, it's reserved for a beacon.
--[Arsenal/Crypt]+[Attack Speed]+[Preparation for a Ceremony]+[All in on far too many Temporal Beacons]

[Necrostorm]/[Deathknight]
-Think someone joked about a magic damage necromancer before. Probably several someones.
-Deathknight is a forest-roasting arsonist who only cares about skeletons in as much that a full skeleton cap gives more time to hit things with their book.
-Packing reflection mirrors is a good idea.
--[Crypt for HP?]+[Attack Speed]+[Burned Forests]+[Storm Temples]

Incidentally, none of them really rely on skeleton quality, at least once the ball gets rolling.
Holding off on posting the actual writeup until they pass the act3 trial run(s); will edit the notes with what was learned in the attempt(s) then post it.
Folks can try em out now if they feel like trying out dubious builds, or wait for said follow-up to get better guidance on each.
Or run safer builds for profit instead of working with barebone "why would you do this" novelty runs I haven't even tested. :v:

As someone who spends a loving hour and a half on Path of Exile bosses because I play the stupidest novelty builds, I approve of your insanity.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Elentor posted:

As someone who spends a loving hour and a half on Path of Exile bosses because I play the stupidest novelty builds, I approve of your insanity.
:hfive:, fellow novelty builder/runner!

For sanity/space reasons, I think I'll be breaking it up into several parts; going into detail on each test run takes up quite a bit of space, who knew? :v:
Now to leave some teaser screens from the first Necroguard Act 3 test:

Oh no.

Oh no.

"Skeleton quality? What's that? Sounds like coward talk, more skeleton levels, more!"
Things did not go as planned. They went better*. :getin:
*Also off the rails for what I intended to get out of Necroguard, but that's what multiple tests are for.

Quick E: Just fought the boss and found an interesting interaction: Horde pops before fighting the boss, though it may need the rest before upgrade to do so. So you can combine stockpiling Skeleton Level with 3 free Quality Skeletons from the word go. Poor hunter didn't last 6 seconds.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 24, 2021

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Welp left my necro to loop as long as possible and what finally takes me down is a single ghost

Skeletons were dealing almost no damage and somehow even with 74% quality I got 4 archers no mages on the backline. I think looping so far scaled the evade chance of the ghost to insane levels where almost nothing goes through and ontop of that it has 10% vamp from a vampire mansion.
I actually had to equip the worst stuff I could find in my inventory to even get the fight to start ending and sit through the first revive and start waiting again to slowly die, even death won't clear your backline out either.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
More proof that the burnt forest necro build is supreme

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Having a blast with this and am currently trying to crack Act 4, can't decide which class I'm going to use for it since I have preferences for each boss but the last act kind of throws that off.

I'm hoping to get some spoiler-free or spoiler-light info on a few things regarding the town portion of the game:

- Why does the game say building mud huts is the way to win? From what I can tell, these actually just give you a slight increase in your supply item capacity and some text when you build/upgrade. The dialogue in the game has not mentioned anything about a "win condition" so I thought clearing Act 4 was it but maybe not?

- Is there any benefit to building more than one forest square in your town? Looks like you can cover the whole top row with them if you want and I did build two or three but gave up after not seeing any reason to do so.

- It seems like there's plenty of spaces to build on and so far there's only been a few buildings that require empty space or adjacency to another building. Is there any long-term requirements I should know about? (i.e. always leave a blank space next to your ________ building because reasons, etc). I have almost everything built, think I'm only missing the bridge, second warehouse and a few upgrades here and there.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

rideANDxORdie posted:

- Why does the game say building mud huts is the way to win? From what I can tell, these actually just give you a slight increase in your supply item capacity and some text when you build/upgrade. The dialogue in the game has not mentioned anything about a "win condition" so I thought clearing Act 4 was it but maybe not?

Supply items are pure upside and with enough supply space you can trivialize the game, though I always thought that the text was more about your objective to restore the world for people to inhabit it.

quote:

- Is there any benefit to building more than one forest square in your town?

The lumberjack is better the more forests surrounding his tile, otherwise no.

quote:

- It seems like there's plenty of spaces to build on and so far there's only been a few buildings that require empty space or adjacency to another building. Is there any long-term requirements I should know about?

Not really, the space is there for you to minmax your buildings if you want to.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Alright, I promised posts on novelty build testing, and novelty build testing I have.
Starting with none other than the Necroguard, or the "I am become the Skeleton Guardian" build.
Now, the original intent was to go all in on that; use crypt to bulk up on health, meadows to regen, squeeze in as many skeletons as possible, try to get the Counter trait and find the time to maximize skeleton level so they don't die.
(Also to disregard skeleton quality almost entirely. This will be a recurring theme.)
So, let's see how well that went in practice.

First off: The Deck!

Necroguard posted:

Grove/Cemetery
Spider/Vampire/Bookery/Chrono Crystals
River/Meadows/Suburbs
Oblivion/Temporal Beacon
Crypt
Simple enough: meadows+beacons for healing, Crypt to build up health.
Next to determine how act3 testing went, let's go over the runs.
-Note: Resetting for good loop layouts was considered, but disregarded to see how well the build stands on just random layouts.

Necroguard Test Runs posted:

Run01: [Crushing Victory!] [Boss killed loop 6>7]
Final Traits: Loop2 Card Sharp/Loop3 Residual Heat/Loop3 Counterattack/Loop4 Horde/Loop5 Second Thoughts/Loop5 Field Practice/Loop5 Art of Control/Loop6 Edge of Impossible
Final Stats:
HP: 1895/1895
Exp: 14140/17010
Damage: 5-7
Max HP: +1560
Max Skeletons: 4
Skeleton Level: +10.52
Damage to all: 1
Regen per sec: 0.8
Defense: 22 (Full hand + Book for this one.)
Attack speed: +8%
Evasion: 7%
Hp per day: +464
Bonus Exp: +98
Post Mortum:
-The teasered run, in all it's text glory.
-The initial start was harsh, think the only generator was a cemetery but that was enough to bother continuing.
-The early loops were... Also harsh. Meadows/Chronostacking weren't online yet, and was scrabbling to survive. Not the Bootleg warrior I was hoping for.
--Dipping into skeleton quality was a necessary sin to continue, but the run limped onward even if it meant burning the town+crypt revives in the process.
-I think the skeleton level ball got rolling roughly around the time Crypt was building up a good sized hp stockpile, which around loop 5 managed to snap the difficulty in the Necroguards favor.
-By the time the boss fight happened, Necroguard had finished going from getting mauled to doing the mauling. I wasn't kidding about taking out hunter+co in under ~6 seconds.
-So, what's the takeaway from this run?
-I intended for necroguard to take hits while the skeletons worked their magic, but instead a lack of skeleton guard's [First Target] paired with a lack of health and healing derailed that during the early game.
-By the time the necroguard built up the health/daily regen to tank hits, skeletons had enough levels backing them to survive without. Hell, the skeletons outpaced the cemetery skeletons.
-So while the run did succeed, and how, it didn't quite pull off what I wanted even with a pile of supplies and all the traits a Necroguard could ask for.
-But hey, perhaps the run isn't what needs to change, but my expectations of a Necroguard. On to the next run.

Run02: [Death by skeletons.] [Perished loop 6]
Final Traits: Loop3 Field Practice/Loop4 Art of Control/Loop4 Preparation for a Ceremony/Loop5 Lightning Fast/Loop5 Counterattack
"Loop 5" Stats:
Note: Despite looking at them, forgot to take a posthumous screenshot before heading to town, so this is what we get. :shepface:
HP: 432/672
Exp: 387/1840
Max HP: +327
Max Skeletons: 3
Skeleton Level: +6.83
Damage to all: 1
Regen per sec: 1.4
Defense: 9
Evasion: 10%
Hp per day: +168
Bonus Exp: +20
Post Mortum:
-Loop layout was a weird one, couldn't do the usual river+meadow layouts. Got a spider generator though, so onward the Necroguard went.
-In a repeat of the first run, spent both resurrections surviving a difficult fight only to get some powerful skeleton level gear.
-It would be accurate to say this was less a proper run and more an experiment in amateur self-dentistry given how the ostensible necroguard's teeth went flying almost every fight.
-While I'm inclined to blame the layout for being unable to build up in earlier loops, the fact is there was ample space to place suburbs even if it would've compromised river-meadow building.
-Aside from that, necroguard just couldn't hold together, ~8 skeleton levels weren't enough. Still, one more test to go.

Run03 [Crushing Victory!] [Killed Boss loop 6>7]
Final Traits: Loop3 Field Practice/Loop4 Residual Heat/Loop5 Art of Control/Loop5 Unseen Care/Loop5 Lightning Fast/Loop6 Blissful Ignorance/Loop6 Stained Glass
Final Stats:
HP: 1436/1436
Exp: 1142/17010
Max HP: +1086
Magic HP: 206
Max Skeletons: 4
Skeleton Level: +10.45
Regen per sec: 1.4
Defense: 21
Attack Speed: +12%
Hp per day: +342
Bonus Exp: +81
Post Mortum:
-Grove in the latter half of loop1, test proceeds.
-Fairly noneventful, honestly. An odd loop layout that otherwise was a rough repeat of run01.
-Boss wasn't completely dunked on this time, just mostly. Hunter went down, lower dog, upper dog. I could've sworn the dogs crit harder than they do, but :shrug:

Total Win/Loss: 2/1
Total Loop1 Nogens*: 0
(Nogens being loop1 resets due to... No generators loop1. Went quite well this time, surprisingly.)

So to answer the question posed above: Necroguard was successful, but not at its intended purpose.
Without a means of getting enemies to focus on the Necromancer, enemies will happily chew through your skeletons until they get bulked up enough to turn the tables.
Meadows regeneration was a reliable means of healing, but unlike the meadow warrior didn't get a chance to really shine even with all the max health crypt could provide.
Overall Necroguard did well enough to pass the act3 preliminary testing, demonstrated the potential power of going all in on skeleton level, and was a poor imitation of the skeleton guard.

So, how could it be improved for the act4 viability test?
In the current update, probably not much.
Supplies can bolster health/defense to ease the harsh first few loops and otherwise empower the necroguard; but doesn't cover the fundamental flaw that Necroguard can't even reliably do it's gimmick of "Tank hits, let skeletons counter."
Second, while not on the Necroguard itself, take more care in placing vampires everywhere. Too many tiles went uncovered, and in act 4 watchers stop being so forgiving to beacon spam.

TLDR: Necroguard passes 2/3 act3 testruns, without honors. Necroguard thus will be present for the act4 viability tests.
Next one for the testing block: Chronomancer.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Your trials are helping me get over Skeleton Quality. Skeleton level is my true friend now.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
100%ing the achievements (and doing both secrets) makes me feel pretty much like I have to step away at this point; like someone upthread said, the game can feel more "addicting" than "good" in a lot of ways and my play sessions were getting increasingly zoned-out but never enough that I could just walk away entirely when I was in the midst of them. The drive to just keep grinding and levelling up means it can be fun to just go nuts with mud-huts and your supplies once you're through the main progression, but it's a hollow sort of fun where you're really not opening many if any new avenues of play. 57 hours is still a lot of time to wring out of a title like this (and not too much of that was spent idling away from the computer).

It is kinda entertaining to stack 16 mirrors and try to fill as much of your board as you can with storm towers, admittedly. And stacking up scythes for 100% damage to all seems worth trying ..

No, damnit. Wait for DLC.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

KirbyKhan posted:

Your trials are helping me get over Skeleton Quality. Skeleton level is my true friend now.
:cheers: glad to hear. Summon quality is temporary, skeleton level scales forever.

Anywho, as testing the Chronomancer is taking longer than expected, here's an unsorted collection of misc trivia to fill the gap.
Some may be more well known, some of it is helpful, and two that are some real head-scratchers on doing anything useful with.

-Ambitions of the dead works with horde skeletons; the healing is persistent between fights, alas the damage bonus is not.
-Above the health bar and below current equipment, there is a small marker indicating when you will use your next potion.
-Lone Storm temples deal [2x[Current_Loop]+1xDefense] Magic Damage; as the storm can't be evaded, mirrors remain the best defense.
-The Priestess's reflection-glass reduces damage greatly, but doesn't set damage to 1.
--Given enough time, an especially unlucky warrior could brute force the boss as the chip damage goes from 1 to 2, to 3, etc.
-Swamps have an unlisted slow effect applied to moving along their tile.
--While the meadow-warrior can't benefit from this, a non-meadow warrior with strong potions and high health can abuse this to get even more blade of dawns going on.
-In theory, there is an enemy that can only be faced when the trait pool needs to list three traits, but only has two or less.
--When the conditions are met, a trait to spawn the enemy appears in the pool, but be warned: They delete traits, returning them to the pool.
---Given the requirements, it is very unlikely to encounter this enemy without cheating, at least until the update letting us prune unwanted boss traits from the pool.
----Naturally I'm giving it a go anyways, but there really is no good reason to do this currently beyond "because I can".
-After revaluing skeleton level, arsenal became something of a mixed bag.
--Arsenal does give another slot that can roll skeleton level, but the quality penalty dings the other equipment, particularly grimoires, hard enough to outweigh it.
---Other Warrior/Rogue can hit a cap for evasion/critchance/counter/etc, but as skeleton level is seemingly uncapped it ends up hurting necromancer more than it helps.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 29, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Secret boss whipped me bad. Think I need a new save to attempt them again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
finally managed to beat the secret boss with a vampirism rogue and a ton of sand dune/oasis tiles. fun little distraction, but the opacity of the game systems can wear at times (has anyone figured out what the hell blood lightning does?)