Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My goldfish are acting very differently tonight than I've ever seen them. For the first time in forever they seem completely disinterested in me, the light, the tv, or anything happening outside the tank and are instead spending a lot of time chasing the gently caress out of each other REALLY fast. I tried to catch some of it but the tank light was off when they were REALLY going crazy. When I turned on the light the biggest guy calmed down and started trying to get some attention for food but the rest kept going at it.

Would I be right to interpret this as a mating dance? The tank's had a heater set to 78 for the last week to combat the one goldy's wound (it seems all healed up now) and I am to understand that's about the mating temperature for these guys? I was gonna take the heater off this week and put it in my 5G tank to set up my betta's new home, but I might just leave it a buy a new one and see what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj9318-5gBo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbkZNLJah3U

And as long as we're here, does anyone know what the Molly is doing? He kind of does that a lot, kind of chasing away at the goldfish. I remember some fish store people warning me that some algae eaters might try and eat the slimy coat off the goldfish. That had me a little worried when it started but the goldfish all seem to brush him off and swim away and he seems to quit since he's smaller than all of them. So I figure he isn't doing any harm. Otherwise I wonder if he's just bored and lonely and trying to play with the goldfish. I've been debating getting him a few friends, I'm just a little worried about crowding the tank or that a school of mollys might be able to get more aggressive with the goldfish. The molly's only in this tank because he harasses every other fish in every other tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I remember some fish store people warning me that some algae eaters might try and eat the slimy coat off the goldfish.

That usually refers to the sucker mouthed fish moreso than pluckers like mollies, and only if they're underfed. Guaranteed that molly is chowing down on any eggs as they're laid! You'll probably still have some eggs that waft into corners unseen and survive long enough to hatch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A friend of mine has some spare charcoal filter media, is there any benefit to adding this to my filter? I have one of these:

I'd be cutting off some of the open cell foam mechanical filter to add the charcoal filter stuff in one of those porous bags.

I went to the aquarium yesterday and was thrilled beyond measure to see one of the plants (Limnophila sessiliflora) from my 5g tank was also one of their huge planted aquariums (axolotl habitat).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It'll soak up stuff, then once it's completely saturated, you'll throw it out and put in a new batch. Why do you want charcoal in your filter though, do you have a specific need for it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

It'll soak up stuff, then once it's completely saturated, you'll throw it out and put in a new batch. Why do you want charcoal in your filter though, do you have a specific need for it?

I guess that's what I'm asking - would there be any benefit? I do have quite a bit of driftwood in the tank relative to it's volume but the plants do a good job of cleaning the tannins out (I guess?) because the water doesn't really have a brown hue to it anymore. I just thought there might be some benefit I wasn't aware of.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^The only real benefit would be if your water is really discolored or smells bad. Otherwise it'll do relatively nothing. You'd be much better off making sure your bacteria have a solid place to grow and multiply

Aerofallosov posted:

I did some SERIOUS diatom scraping, gently rubbed them off my plants, added in my new lowlight plants and hopefully this means my nerites will stop hiding in the log. Sadly, my anubias is coming a little loose from the log. :argh: so I'm gonna have to retie it. My java fern has little leaves coming out of the leaves? Does that mean it's happy?

I'm also debating cutting this nitrazorb in half and sewing the bag up. It's not fitting well in my fluval's filter component.

Genuinly, yes, that's the way java moss reproduces.
I dunno what your conditions are but the Anubias I put in my tank started clawing itself onto everything near by within a week

Which reminds me, I need to clear out the Christmas moss again. My tank is like a moss bush with leaves of other stuff growing out of it

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 2, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

STAC Goat posted:

My goldfish are acting very differently tonight than I've ever seen them. For the first time in forever they seem completely disinterested in me, the light, the tv, or anything happening outside the tank and are instead spending a lot of time chasing the gently caress out of each other REALLY fast. I tried to catch some of it but the tank light was off when they were REALLY going crazy. When I turned on the light the biggest guy calmed down and started trying to get some attention for food but the rest kept going at it.

Would I be right to interpret this as a mating dance? The tank's had a heater set to 78 for the last week to combat the one goldy's wound (it seems all healed up now) and I am to understand that's about the mating temperature for these guys? I was gonna take the heater off this week and put it in my 5G tank to set up my betta's new home, but I might just leave it a buy a new one and see what happens.

And as long as we're here, does anyone know what the Molly is doing? He kind of does that a lot, kind of chasing away at the goldfish. I remember some fish store people warning me that some algae eaters might try and eat the slimy coat off the goldfish. That had me a little worried when it started but the goldfish all seem to brush him off and swim away and he seems to quit since he's smaller than all of them. So I figure he isn't doing any harm. Otherwise I wonder if he's just bored and lonely and trying to play with the goldfish. I've been debating getting him a few friends, I'm just a little worried about crowding the tank or that a school of mollys might be able to get more aggressive with the goldfish. The molly's only in this tank because he harasses every other fish in every other tank.

Yeah, looks like mating to me. My Mollies used to do that a lot. Male fish are sex pests and basically force themselves on the females in most cases.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

VelociBacon posted:

A friend of mine has some spare charcoal filter media, is there any benefit to adding this to my filter? I have one of these:

I'd be cutting off some of the open cell foam mechanical filter to add the charcoal filter stuff in one of those porous bags.

I went to the aquarium yesterday and was thrilled beyond measure to see one of the plants (Limnophila sessiliflora) from my 5g tank was also one of their huge planted aquariums (axolotl habitat).

It is counterproductive to use charcoal if you have live plants.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The snails have begun to leave the tank.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Got the go ahead today to up my tanks from one to three.
One is a 5 gallon learner tank that my brother gave up on. I"m thinking a nice looking betta and plants and nothing else of note for this one tbh.
The other is a side of the road find that needs a fair bit of work to get it up to scratch but I'm thinking the neons from my big tank can go into it along with a couple of different types of cories given it's only a 2 foot tank.
This should allow me to add a couple of angels into the big tank once the black phantoms give up the ghost which based on their current cannibalism shouldn't take very long at all. I do want to ask Stoca a question though. Several months ago I came into the thread asking about bloated fish and you suggested two medications. I have the standard blue planet fluke and worm tablets but they don't seem to do much. I know the other was a bird med in Australia but cannot remember what it was exactly? Any clues much appreciated.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

It was Avitrol Plus which has levamisole. It's got praziquantel as well, most recently I got a bottle of tablets from vet and pet direct and I found the page I used to get the dosage here. The guy is mostly talking about camallanus worms which will make a fish waste away rather than bloat, but tapeworms I would expect to see swollen guts. Levamisole doesn't work on tapeworms though! There are other things that can cause bloating, such as fluid build up due to infection or organ failure or constipation can do it as well, or a blockage from eating non-food items. From memory a swollen liver will make the front of the fish lumpy. The swim bladder is higher up and more central than the liver from memory. Well, it depends on the fish I guess.

Something you could try if you haven't already is epsom salts, I can never remember the dosage but it's a relaxant that helps fish to pass anything that is blocking them up and it also draws fluid out of the fish, I've used it to reduce the size of a prolapsed vent on a gudgeon until it resolved by itself. Or if you're convinced it's worms you could try Fenbendazole/fishbendazole brand which you can get mailed here fairly easily. Not great for snails but it's supposed to be shrimp safe.

Do you have any pictures of your bloated fish?

Edit to add: congrats on your new tanks, sounds like a sensible expansion :D

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Thanks for that I’ll get some pics tomorrow. I’m mainly thinking it’s worms due to the trailing nature of their poop. I haven’t fed them blood worms since last Friday so I doubt it’s the fish passing anything from that. I might give Epsom salts a go and see what happens to them.
The main fish that are bloating are the black phantoms but I did have a neon do the same thing a few weeks ago. They tend to blow up and waste away at the same time till they end up dying but the phantoms have a higher hit rate it’d seem.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

That second video is blocked in my country for whatever reason, but that first video is unmistakable. My goldfish regularly breed and that's exactly what it looks like. This is now the easiest way for you to identify them too. The one being chased is a female (obviously) and the disinterested one is also likely a female, so you'll probably spot the other two chase her later as well. You'll actually be able to predict when it's due to happen, since the two males will look like they're searching for something and smelling the other goldfish.

I wouldn't worry much about it, but I'd definitely also consider arranging the tank in a way that might offer a hiding place for the tired females. It can be pretty stressful for them, but a thick area of plants will also offer the perfect place for them to release their eggs as well. Though you might have already, the first video is dark so it's hard to tell.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I had a not good week over Christmas and didn't pay as much attention to my tanks as I would have liked. I am now playing catch up with water changes, it hasn't quite gotten to two full weeks since the last one but since I only change 25-30% each time I really can't afford to let it slide too far, and I hadn't been spending time really looking at tanks and being thorough with each one, sometimes not getting around to feeding until the middle of the night. Not a big deal for loaches and catfish, shrimp and crays or even guppies which all seem to operate at all hours, but for gudgeons, tetras, rasboras and rainbow fish I had to turn the light on to make sure they were awake to eat. I mostly got away with it, except for one of my cory grow out tanks which I somehow massively over fed (feeding in the dark, I most likely put food in there twice). That tank doesn't have a snail clean up crew and only a couple of floating plants to help with wastes. I had two corys die, one was in there long enough to become completely furry and the other looked maybe 6 hours fresh so I ended up having to vac heavily, throw out 3/4 of the plants that had mouldy food stuck all over them, and did something like an 80% water change trying to save the rest of the fish. Seems to have worked and I am being very mindful of light feeding and taking more care. No real point to this story apart from just being surprised at how badly wrong overfeeding can go, how quickly it goes bad compared to negligent water changes which hasn't really caused many problems at all in any of my other tanks. Holiday fishtank syndrome is real, even if it's just your brain that has gone on holidays.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I too neglected the hell out of my neon tetra/betta/angelfish tank through the holidays. Its just been a mess. I moved the molly out months ago. I moved the angelfish out a few weeks ago when he got real big and wasn't getting along with the betta. I had 14 neon tetras but I barely saw them the last couple of weeks. I knew I probably had a problem but the tank was just kind of an unwieldy mess and I could never really get the time to work on it. It has this awesome rock/cave and plant setup I loved but it was such a crowded, complicated setup that it was kind of impossible to clean. And there were no cleaners in there after the molly was moved so it was just impossible to keep up with. (I actually threw some snails in last week because I decided it was the better problem).

Today I sat down and removed all the rocks and stuff, trimmed dead parts of plants, tried to clean it. I count 8 tetras. I found only 1 dead one so I guess maybe I know how the angelfish got so big or the betta's been happy. I just need to take it apart, I think. I'm gonna move the betta to his own 5G home soon and probably move the angelfish back, unless i decide he'll eat all the neons. The neons might do better in the tank with the other tetras. And then I'll get some new fish to join the angelfish and maybe have a better idea about it this time around, nearly a year into this adventure (I got the 5G for Christmas last year which started all this but I got my first fish in August).

I'm sad about the neons, especially since I really did neglect them. But I still think I'm doing pretty well on odds for fish death and health. They join 1 dead angelfish (who I still think the molly killed), 1 neon who died a few days in, and a goldfish who died within hours of getting him. These are definitely the first that I can say probably truly were my fault, though. I mean, since so many are missing I do think my angelfish might have ate them, but I can't deny I neglected that tank. But I know what I did wrong with that tank and I'm gonna address it. So hopefully the fish god will forgive me.

My tetra and goldfish tanks are fine. The angelfish has been in the tetra tank and is sketching them out but I'll resolve that soon. I've found a happy coexistence with the snails in the tetra tank. I let them live to clean and I scoop a bunch out once a week and feed them to my goldfish. They can't survive in the goldfish tank even when I've tried to sneak them in. And I decided I was content introducing them to the problem tank since they can't make poo poo worse in there. So I've made peace with them, at least until they multiple to such numbers that they leave the tank and start to occupy my home.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 4, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I actually also had a poo poo event happen as I lost a shrimp yesterday (in the tank). Found it upside down and dead, wasn't in the process of molting and had no obvious injuries. I've noticed that it wasn't eating as much as the others (they've all actually been eating less it feels like). The shrimp don't fight (that I've noticed) and my water parameters are normal:

pH 7.4
GH around 180
KH 40-80
TDS 300
No detectable total ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates.
Temp: 75F

I have no idea what happened but I removed the dead shrimp, did a 40% water change, and spent some time with a bulb trying to remove as much smutz from the substrate as I could (It's super heavily planted and I can't siphon the substrate).

I feel like I just straight up no longer see the thicker bright green kind of moss that I used to have on my hardscape. Now it's sorta stringy and more thinned out, mixed up with a fair bit of diatom algae and I wonder if the shrimp aren't interested in it. When I adjusted the tank temperature up I just got more of that same kind of algae so I brought it back down (slowly, over a few days, and only 1 degree F).

If I get 1 female amano and put it in with 3 male amano am I just creating a rape dungeon for her? I don't mind having 4 males but it would add some visual interest for there to be a female. There are a huge number of places to hide and tunnels around the hardscape and such but it's a 5g tank at the end of the day.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So after keeping a stable 5 gallon shrimp tank for several months my wife and I have now purchased a 16 gallon Fluval Spec. It's gonna be planted but I'm not sure how I want to scape it so I've decided to work backward based on what I want to eventually stock it with.

I want at a combination of some (not all) of the following: Galaxy danios, fancy guppies, one or two peacock gudgeons, otos or kuhli loaches, assorted shrimp, an apple snail, and maybe a couple pom-pom crabs. I'm currently playing with with the bio load calculator in the OP but I was wondering if more seasoned hands here had a good idea of what that tank will support and what's easiest to keep together.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'd stay away from otos for now, they need a pretty mature tank and algae and so on to survive and don't always transition well to processed food. A larger tank gives them more surface area to feed on and when they get the zoomies they are like tiny torpedoes so I like to see them in big big tanks where possible. Kuhlies on the other hand seem to be very easy to feed and you could easily have six in a tank that size. Peacock gudgeons are a favourite of mine, I'd advise working out how to sex them and getting a pair for some cool behaviour and to prevent unpaired females from becoming egg bound. Or get a solo male if you just want one. Fancy guppies would be fine if you got male only but you do not want guppies breeding. I would be a little concerned about guppies dominating the food too although fancies with big tails might be less food aggressive than the endler hybrids I have.

I think with a tank that size you want to limit yourself to one kind of fish for each area of the tank. So kuhlies most of the time will stick to the bottom of the tank and hide in whatever cover you give them, but will roam looking for food if they are comfortable. Peacock gudgeons tend to stick to the bottom half of the tank but will eat from the surface if they've worked out food is there, they'll also pick at food that has fallen to the bottom. In my experience they are not good at grabbing food, they'll swim at it and strike and miss so I wouldn't like mixing them with assertive fish, I did have guppies and gudgeons together at one time and had to split them up. Guppies will go anywhere in a tank, they'll sleep anywhere, swim anywhere, eat anywhere. One of the most invasive fish species ever, they can outbreed and outcompete almost anything. So while they are a pretty and easy fish to keep you have to be careful to keep them under control and not to mix them with smaller or more timid fish. Speaking of which, galaxy rasboras are notoriously timid so I wouldn't mix them with guppies either. Although they improve with plenty of cover.

I don't know if there's any merit to it but I think it works better if you don't mix fish from South America with fish from Asia. So for a kuhlie loach/galaxy rasbora mix, since galaxy rasboras stick to the middle, you could round it out with a top swimming rasbora, hengeli, espei or harlequin depending on how the bioload works out. I think peacock gudgeons would still fit in here, they're from PNG. I wouldn't mix Pom Pom crabs with gudgeons though, I feel like they might conflict over territory at the bottom of the tank. All of these would love a planted tank. I'd probably avoid java ferns due to the tough fine roots they produce that might be a tangling hazard for loaches, but other classic easy plants like crypts, anubias and easy stem plants would go well.

I'm by no means an expert though so maybe someone else will weigh in with an opinion!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

If I get 1 female amano and put it in with 3 male amano am I just creating a rape dungeon for her? I don't mind having 4 males but it would add some visual interest for there to be a female. There are a huge number of places to hide and tunnels around the hardscape and such but it's a 5g tank at the end of the day.

They only breed after moulting so it won't be a constant harassment of males I don't think. At least in neos, it's more a problem when there are lots of females, all moulting at different times, each time the males swim frantically around trying to find the right female and become exhausted. The act of mating isn't a super big drama for shrimp I don't think.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone know of a good LED light for a nano tank? So far everything looks under powered for the price.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Light depends very heavily on what plants you're stocking (and how deep the tank is). If the light is pretty close it doesn't need to be that bright to get effective penetration for plants. So, hard to recommend without knowing how deep and which plants.

Goddammnit my semi-neglected fungus sterbai grow out tank has become a fully neglected fungus tank requiring treatment now. I noticed the sterbai weren't eating and a lot of them were looking a little clamped up so I shone a brighter light into their tank and can now see some of them have fungus on their sides. Also I had left their heater unplugged due to the series of 40+ degree days and I think since that has passed the tank is too cold for them. I'm going to start out with another water change, keeping the heater plugged in, and some methylene blue and see where it progresses from there. I'll have to vac out all their food, they're not touching it and its just giving the fungus more fuel. I'm removing all the plants too since I have some vague memory that plants don't like meth blue and its just another place fungus could grow. Crossed fingers these guys will pull through, they are my oldest batch or maybe second oldest and I was hoping to get some of them a new home next week. I'm going to try and net some from my B-team tank instead which is going to be much harder due to all the plants and gudgeons that will be in the way.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Now I'm even more confused! During and after the waterchange and especially after adding the methylene blue, it started looking like something else was going on, not fungus. Although I did find a couple of specks of fungusy food that I've since removed. It looks a lot like many of the corys are producing and shedding lots of slimecoat, so grey sheets were detaching from their sides fairly easily which I've vacuumed up. Additionally, most of the sad and clamped fin cories are now swimming around and searching for food. A couple of them still don't look right but there is almost immediate improvement, so I wonder if the dead ones may have released cory venom and stank up the tank a little. Sterbai are supposedly fairly venomous, like other orange finned corys. Anyway I don't think a little methylene blue will hurt, it should help get rid of anything left festering in the tank and at least the fish have perked right up now. The weird patches aren't all the same and there could still be a few specks of fungus so time will tell.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I have a PAR meter and the plant fluval nano provides very little useful light to a 7.2g cube tank. The finex nano lights don't do it either and both are anywhere from 50-80$ which is way too expensive for something under powered.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I wish I had a PAR meter! We mostly have available Chinese brands like Up-Aqua which have Y series lights for nano tanks, or Azoo, Aqua Zonic or Chihiros are also around. Also European brands like Aquael are around. I guess anything which is 220vac can work here, and a lot of the Chinese stuff has 120v-240v power supplies. They are all cheaper than fluval which costs an arm and a leg here,and I've had both up aqua and aqua zonic lights. I'd say the latter are brighter and better quality (the up aqua's splash guard can't handle the energy from the LED and goes brown, making the light dim) but aqua zonic are not really what I'd call cheap. Lots of people seem to like Chihiros lights but I couldn't tell you what power supply they have or how much they would be where you are.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Consider the humble florescent bulb.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’ve been happy with my make my led lights that I got and they do a good job. I’m considering getting another panel when I set up the 2 foot as they are cheaper than anything fluval are offering and come in about the same as the up aqua led panels

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Fish seem fine today, no clamped fins or weird postures. I took out their cave and upped the flow and they seem a lot less timid. Is that normal for corys? Every time I keep them with caves and cover they're timid and hide, every time I keep them on open sand with sparse cover they're confident as balls. That's comparing sterbai to panda tho, not including such things as school size. Getting some more soft iron sand tomorrow for the cory cube which I hope to get done this holidays.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I LOVE my nerites. The red racers are the CUTEST. And they roomba all about.

I am trying to make sure I keep the mulm cleaned. I have some brushy algae that has a date with a toothbrush and some excel. I put in one squirt of Nilcog S thrive weekly. Is that too many nutrients for an 8 hour a day low tech? It's a low flow tank because betta.

I just wish I could *find* any trace of ghost shrimp. They were chilling and the betta was ignoring them earlier, but now I can't find hide nor hair. Not even body parts.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I finally got around to clearing all of the crap out of the bottom of the keen find fish tank today so I could have a look at it. There’s a few chips along the bottom edge but they all appear to below the thickness of the bottom piece of glass so I’ll see what happens when I reseal it. Even without the reseal it appears to be holding water without leaks but I’ll keep an eye on it over the next few days. It’ll need something to hold a lid as it currently doesn’t have anything to hold it in place. If it does fail I’ll only be out a tube of silicone and gives me an excuse to aim for a slightly bigger tank for the lounge room.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Aerofallosov posted:

I LOVE my nerites. The red racers are the CUTEST. And they roomba all about.

I am trying to make sure I keep the mulm cleaned. I have some brushy algae that has a date with a toothbrush and some excel. I put in one squirt of Nilcog S thrive weekly. Is that too many nutrients for an 8 hour a day low tech? It's a low flow tank because betta.

I just wish I could *find* any trace of ghost shrimp. They were chilling and the betta was ignoring them earlier, but now I can't find hide nor hair. Not even body parts.

Betta got hungry.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If I notice that the ends of the shell of some the snails in my tank seems to be dissolving, is that a lack of calcium?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So here's what my current plan is for the 16gal Fluval:
2 Peacock Gudgeons
9 Galaxy Raspbora
5 Kuhli Loaches
Some shrimp and a big snail
This puts bioload at ~80 on the calculator.

I want to do black sand and driftwood with some sword grass or anubias on the filter side tapering to some shorter narrow leaf grass on the opposite.

Here are my questions:

Is this too crowded for a 16 gal, particularly a Fluval where the filtration shaves off a decent chunk of space? I'm mostly worried about the Loaches being crowded.

Are there any good (non Java moss) grasses that do particularly well adhered to driftwood?

Should I do any kind of soil or planting substrate beneath the sand?

What do I do with new buddies if I don't have a spare tank for quarantines?

In other news I got my wife and I got a pair of guppies for the shrimp tank but one of them did not make it home alive. The surviving guy seems to be doing real well though.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Mozi it could be lacking in their diet, or the environment might be too acidic, not enough carbonates as well as calcium or magnesium deficiencies.

mango sentinel posted:

Is this too crowded for a 16 gal, particularly a Fluval where the filtration shaves off a decent chunk of space? I'm mostly worried about the Loaches being crowded.

Are there any good (non Java moss) grasses that do particularly well adhered to driftwood?

Should I do any kind of soil or planting substrate beneath the sand?

What do I do with new buddies if I don't have a spare tank for quarantines?

To me it is about right, and do not worry about the loaches. Kuhlie loaches' modus operandi is to all post themselves into the same cave or under the same leaf, or to zoom around not caring about anything. I have 6 in a 15g with 12 espei rasboras and there is plenty of room. So I think your stocking levels are fine.

Grasses are rooted plants, they won't attach to driftwood well I don't think. For grasslike non rooted (rhizome) plants you could see if you can find some dwarf narrow leaf java fern or trident fern, both grow with pointy leaves of a sort and can be attached to wood. They might be bigger than what you have in mind though. Susswassertang looks really cool attached to wood too. Anubias also can be attached to wood and the rhizome shouldn't be buried. It might put roots down for structural support but it is certainly not a heavy root feeder and doesn't need nutritious substrate. Grasses (elocharis) and microsword (lilaeopsis) would both probably like nutritious substrate and brighter light than the anubias would want. In any case some plants will make more use of aquarium soil than others, but such things will self sort so that the biggest particles are on top and the finest particles are below, especially in tanks with bottom dwelling fish that are likely to disturb things. You'd need to cap any soil with larger particles than that of the soil if you want the layers to stay in that order. Baked ceramic substrates might work and not need capping but I don't know if they are suitable for kuhlies to dig in. I'm going to try some planted zones in the tank I'm setting up for my kuhlies but the bulk of the bottom layer will be sand and maybe some pebbles. I just want two aquasoil zones on each side to plant some crypts and rotala in.

You can use a new clean plastic tub (or tote?) as a quarantine tank. Get one that is strong enough to hold at least 10g of water. Quarantine tanks don't need glass sides or lights but they do need a lid, a cycled filter and an appropriate heater. It just makes it harder to observe what is going on with any new fish. If your goal is to just keep them separate and wait out the period where problems are likely to show up, a plastic tub is fine and I have used one myself a few times. After 6 weeks they are either fine or problems have become obvious or killed the new fish. Another thing you might need for quarantining is a separate siphon and change water bucket and net to prevent cross contamination.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Mozi posted:

If I notice that the ends of the shell of some the snails in my tank seems to be dissolving, is that a lack of calcium?

Might want to check your water pH also you could try supplementing with seachem equilibrium.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mozi posted:

Do you have a TDS pen?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have a calcium buffer source like a cuttlebone or coral chunk. Also look up snail jello, a diy high calcium food http://chipsthatpassinthenight.blogspot.com/2011/10/pet-entry-snail-jello.html

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

My snails LOVE snail stixx and algae wafers, so those're great.

And if my betta got hungry, I would think I'd see BITS or SOMETHING.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When I housed my betta and cherry shrimp together, the betta would just inhale the whole shrimp. Antenna would be sticking out of its mouth, then a few more chomps and its just a smug looking betta and -1 shrimp.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Mine leaves no traces of his shrimp murders. It doesn't matter what kind of shrimp it is he will wait until I am not watching then murder and eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

It's weird because these were full nearly two inch ghost shrimp and he's... not. Oh well. If I don't see them soon, I'm gonna assume murder and not get the yellow scrimps.