Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I just wanted Distant Worlds to go on sale. :(

Oh well, time for :filez:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

gmq posted:

I remember when I was unemployed and I could play games all day but afford none. Now I can afford new games (during the sale) but I have absolutely no time for them.

:negative:

This is also my problem now. I just have to remind myself that unemployment meant I couldn't afford other non game things too. Also I was so unproductive I never finished the backlog of games I did have.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

If you picked up Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ during the sale and are trying to figure out what to play out of your hundreds deep backlog, give it a go. I can't remember chomping down on ghosts ever being so satisfying. It's like the Pac-Man equivalent of good gunplay.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Eschatos posted:

Don't tell us you're going to pirate poo poo. If you want to pirate stuff that's up to you, but don't bring that here.

:pcgaming::getout:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Eschatos posted:

You could have saved $10 off the price of the game for what that post might cost you.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Eschatos posted:

You can't be that stupid man, come on now.

But 59.99 is kind of crazy expensive

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I picked up a game called Zigfrak during the sale, played it for a few hours and put it aside - I really need to get back to it. It's sort of an arcadey space shooter with an action-rpg/MMO loot and questing system bolted onto it.

It's just as awkwardly ambitious as it sounds - the fights are awesome in a sort of near-Jeff Minter-ish "holy poo poo there are 50 enemies, lasers and missiles and drone ships everywhere, and everything is glowing and shooting at me" :pcgaming: :supaburn: :catdrugs: vibe that's almost a little too chaotic, but I still found it fun.

Even not on sale it's only 5 bucks, and there's a demo if you want to try it out.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

BritneysThong posted:

I've been playing the poo poo out of Outlast, and I have to say the nay sayers in the thread when it came up as a daily were wrong. At least, for me.

Basically, the game is a found footage horror movie about an abandoned mental institute. I realize this not a lot of people's thing, but it is definitely my thing.

The game's definitely not perfect, but I'm enjoying it.

Amen, friend. I loved the base game. Just started the DLC that I picked up this sale. So far - more of the same, and that's good in my book. Add to it that I've read a few goons say that there's something truly hosed that up happens in the DLC and I can't wait.

It's not the same kind of scary as Amnesia,but Outlast is definitely creepy in it's own great way.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Can we talk about the rest of the sales here too? Is Gothic fun for a Baldurs gate/Neverwinter Nights fan?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Eschatos posted:

Haha nice, so you're an idiot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've been playing a little more of Creeper World 3 and I gotta say it's weird but fun. I know I like it, but I'm not entirely sure what the hell kind of game it is, and as such I'm a little confused by some of the rules and systems. It's sort of like a tower defense game but instead of specific lanes you have things coming at you from practically all directions. It's great. My other two favorite TD type games are probably Immortal Defense (get the gently caress up on Steam, you bastards) and Defense Grid (coming in a far second).

But I like it. It's challenging and the little I've seen of the story makes it seem interesting in that regard as well.

http://www.indiegala.com/weekly
It's in this indiegala pack for $2 and I think it's totally worth it. The cheapest it was on sale on Steam was $6, with a community lost vote to be $4 bucks.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Drifter posted:

My other two favorite TD type games are probably Immortal Defense (get the gently caress up on Steam, you bastards) and Defense Grid (coming in a far second).

But I like it. It's challenging and the little I've seen of the story makes it seem interesting in that regard as well.

As a lover of TD, may I suggest giving the demo of this a try? http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410 Just ignore the cutscene art, the mechanics are exceptionally well done and the storytelling is good. And the in-battle art is fairly nice, too.

We've got a thread over here, too, if you want to skim it for other reccomendations. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517685

Jesto fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 2, 2014

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jesto posted:

As a lover of TD, may I suggest giving the demo of this a try? http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410 Just ignore the cutscene art, the mechanics are exceptionally well done and the storytelling is good. And the in-battle art is fairly nice, too.

We've got a thread over here, too, if you want to skim it for other reccomendations. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517685

Truth. Any TD fan should give Defender's Quest a go. The cutscenes and leveling interface look like baby's first flash game on Newgrounds in 2002, but the gameplay spritework is quality. I really like all the characters, they all work well together even if they're all a bit archetype-y (for example the sword guy up there is a CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY monkeycheese berserker), and the New Game+ is one of the best I've seen. It adds optional missions, lets you buy Legendary weapons with medals you earned in New Game (giving you an incentive to go back and beat stuff on higher difficulties) and the Diary adds quite a bit of commentary from the characters that I find entertaining. One of my favorite TDs in terms of both gameplay and story.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Takes No Damage posted:

Truth. Any TD fan should give Defender's Quest a go. The cutscenes and leveling interface look like baby's first flash game on Newgrounds in 2002, but the gameplay spritework is quality. I really like all the characters, they all work well together even if they're all a bit archetype-y (for example the sword guy up there is a CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY monkeycheese berserker), and the New Game+ is one of the best I've seen. It adds optional missions, lets you buy Legendary weapons with medals you earned in New Game (giving you an incentive to go back and beat stuff on higher difficulties) and the Diary adds quite a bit of commentary from the characters that I find entertaining. One of my favorite TDs in terms of both gameplay and story.

The Diary stuff in NG+ are definitely my favorite parts, do NG+ people!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

extra stout posted:

The only thing more satisfying than buying loads of four dollar games you'll never finish is actually finishing them. This is an open challenge: Pick a game you just bought and beat it by Wednesday night. Then do another one by Friday. While this may seem insane this is actually how many video game player people lived their lives a long ways back.

Transistor and Broken Age have been completed. :smug:

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

BritneysThong posted:

I've been playing the poo poo out of Outlast, and I have to say the nay sayers in the thread when it came up as a daily were wrong. At least, for me.

Basically, the game is a found footage horror movie about an abandoned mental institute. I realize this not a lot of people's thing, but it is definitely my thing.

The game's definitely not perfect, but I'm enjoying it.

I was gonna get this, but then my brother kept telling me how terrible he heard it was. I should have just got it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jesto posted:

I don't play a lot of tower defense games but I've found this to be very accessible and fun so far.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Defender's quest is a really really good game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

PrinceRandom posted:

Can we talk about the rest of the sales here too? Is Gothic fun for a Baldurs gate/Neverwinter Nights fan?

There's not a whole lot of overlap there, really. Gothic's more of an open world RPG mixed with some really tough combat, that gets really satisfying when you finally get a nice set of armor and can suddenly bend the world over your knee. Personally I love Gothic 1 and 2, you just have to be willing to save often.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jesto posted:

I just didn't want to list my third favorite, which is Defender's Quest, as well for fear of making a list too long. I just wanted to throw out a vague reference about why my recommendation might be worthwhile (and to have an opportunity to mention Immortal Defense again to people).

Rock on, DQ bro.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Takes No Damage posted:

The music is also quite nice and though small and simple, I like the animations. Love seeing everyone ready themselves at the beginning of a level, dragons roaring and staffs spinning. Woo.

I never beat it. But one day!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The music is also quite nice and though small and simple, I like the animations. Love seeing everyone ready themselves at the beginning of a level, dragons roaring and staffs spinning. Woo.

I never beat it. But one day!

You should! The story has a decent conclusion, there's even a hidden(?) split ending, depending on (final battle hint) if the preist's bro gets hit during the final battle. If he doesn't then he solo's the boss and everyone lives happily ever after. If an enemy does make it through to him then he's too weak to do it alone and your priest guy stays behind to help, selfless sacrifices left and right :cry: .

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Eschatos posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I thought the forum rules changed to allow this, he didn't link to anything. If you read zoolooman's rules thread I can see how you might be misled by them into posting that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 2, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jeffrey posted:

I thought the forum rules changed to allow this, he didn't link to anything. If you read zoolooman's rules thread I can see how you might be mislead by them into posting that.

It's just rude. :colbert:

Had he left it at the first sentence I would have been all ":respek: I feel you, bro."
Although I don't know why anyone reported him. That's kinda prissy as well.

All in all, however, straight up saying "I'm going to pirate this game because it didn't go on sale" is just loving dumb.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Drifter posted:

All in all, however, straight up saying "I'm going to pirate this game because it didn't go on sale" is just loving dumb.

Here anyway. He shouldve posted it on their official forums so some one who has something to do with the game can see theyre losing profit by having such retarded pricing for their 9 year old niche game.

I too am bummed Distant Worlds did not go on sale.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

It's just rude. :colbert:

Had he left it at the first sentence I would have been all ":respek: I feel you, bro."
Although I don't know why anyone reported him. That's kinda prissy as well.

Still, it's dumb to get probated for saying you are going to pirate something as long as he isn't sharing files on the actual forums.

Will I get probated if I say I'm going to go jaywalk?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I was kinda upset Ys Origins didn't go on sale but that's hardly Xseed's fault. So I ponied up the...three keys someone who bought extra copies during the winter sale wanted. But someone paid money, anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Chuck Tanner posted:

Still, it's dumb to get probated for saying you are going to pirate something as long as he isn't sharing files on the actual forums.

Yeah, I don't understand why the rules were explicitly changed when clearly the old rule is still being enforced.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Chuck Tanner posted:

Please don't break the law or discuss it here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2928827

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chuck Tanner posted:

Are you on a forum in a thread dedicated to the enjoyment and discussion of traffic safety?

First they came for those who pirated games, and I did not speak out because I was not a pirate...

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

Chuck Tanner posted:

I think it's a combination of liability and respecting the people making stuff who wind up posting here, it's not like the fact that piracy is rampant and people are going to do it anyways isn't apparent.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

It's almost like the Mods are gay retards or something.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Years of Steam Sales have finally broke us. May God have mercy on our soul.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Yeah I don't get it. Goons get really zealous in defending NDA's too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chuck Tanner posted:

That seems like a meaningless distinction to me.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

rargphlam posted:

I think it's a combination of liability and respecting the people making stuff who wind up posting here, it's not like the fact that piracy is rampant and people are going to do it anyways isn't apparent.

I have seen things on these forums you wouldn't believe.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Guys, guys. I'm sure none of us would download a car, right?

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

JHVH-1 posted:

I have seen things on these forums you wouldn't believe.

Oh I know the kind of stuff that winds up happening, talking more along the lines of current 'official' policy rather than what people actually wind up doing/posting.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Drifter posted:

Once 3D printing becomes cheap and quick enough I will download that drat car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Drifter posted:

Man I would download the poo poo out of a car if you could do that.

• Locked thread