Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

It doesn't matter, you're dodging the question. If Westminster renegue on their promises, is that a cause for concern?

I suppose if it revokes the Scotland Act 2012 it might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK

jre posted:

A pretty big fringe at the moment, or I know a lot of yes loonies

bonus looney points if they have posted this

Not as awful as the "Boycott these Scottish companies that didn't back independence" post that's being pasted around. Yeah, let's boycott successful Scottish business with significant exports. That'll really help Scotland flourish.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Rain Temple posted:

Not as awful as the "Boycott these Scottish companies that didn't back independence" post that's being pasted around. Yeah, let's boycott successful Scottish business with significant exports. That'll really help Scotland flourish.

That list is pretty amazing, some of the discussion that went with it as well was :psyduck:. Should we buy local produce then ? :byodood: No the farmers are all tory bastards !

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/21/scottish-independence-the-45_n_5857906.html

jre fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 24, 2014

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

Pissflaps posted:

I suppose if it revokes the Scotland Act 2012 it might be.

So that would be the only thing that would, in your opinion, rightfully invite repercussions on Westminster?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

So that would be the only thing that would, in your opinion, rightfully invite repercussions on Westminster?

It's up to you what you protest about - it doesn't have to be a legitimate complaint.

I'd be interested to see some polling data on Scotland's appetitie for a new referendum. I suspect it falls far short of 45%.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

Pissflaps posted:

It's up to you what you protest about - it doesn't have to be a legitimate complaint.

I'd be interested to see some polling data on Scotland's appetitie for a new referendum. I suspect it falls far short of 45%.

I'm not asking about what's a legitimate protest or not. Would a repeal of the Scotland Act 2012 be the only thing which would invite non-"loonies" to be apprehensive about Westminster rule?

Rain Temple posted:

Not as awful as the orange order's claims that an independent Scotland would be a Vatican puppet state.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Pissflaps posted:

Speaking of polls which type turned out to be most accurate in the end, Phone polls or online ?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

I'm not asking about what's a legitimate protest or not. Would a repeal of the Scotland Act 2012 be the only thing which would invite non-"loonies" to be apprehensive about Westminster rule?

Your whole approach to this is to assume that the promise of more powers, and the threat that they may not materialise, was what people based their vote on. You've taken this cue from the SNP leadership.

I don't buy it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spooky Hyena posted:

Not as awful as the orange order
You can make a very large and varied list starting with just that though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jre posted:

Speaking of polls which type turned out to be most accurate in the end, Phone polls or online ?

I'm not sure but they all ended up saying the same thing in the end so I guess neither? Or both.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Spooky Hyena posted:

Not as awful as the orange order's claims that an independent Scotland would be a Vatican puppet state.

Link ?

asking because they already claim that scotland is a Vatican puppet state. "Unseen Fenian hand"

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

Pissflaps posted:

Your whole approach to this is to assume that the promise of more powers, and the threat that they may not materialise, was what people based their vote on. You've taken this cue from the SNP leadership.

I don't buy it.

No, I'm just trying to figure out why you dismiss concerns like that out of hand. Since you don't want to answer the questions I'm asking, care to explain your feelings on the subject?

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK

Spooky Hyena posted:

No it's worse because boycotting businesses is something that could actually have an effect on things. I'd be very surprised if anyone listens to what the orange order says except the orange order

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Rain Temple posted:

No it's worse because boycotting businesses is something that could actually have an effect on things. I'd be very surprised if anyone listens to what the orange order says except the orange order

Catholics kinda have to, if only to know where not to be on a given day.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

No, I'm just trying to figure out why you dismiss concerns like that out of hand. Since you don't want to answer the questions I'm asking, care to explain your feelings on the subject?

I think I've already told you. More powers are on there way courtesy of the Scotland Act 2012. The 'vow' timetable is being adhered to and will deliver further powers.

Neither will be enough for nationalists, but will be enough for the 55% who voted to limit Holyrood's powers.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Is there any way to make sure these people are Yes voters?

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

Rain Temple posted:

Yeah okay, an unofficial boycott of supermarkets is despicable and hugely damaging but the orange order doesn't mean anything in modern Scotland :jerkbag:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There's no way to be sure the majority are even Scottish to be fair. lovely online petition and all that.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Why do the nationalists keep endlessly going on about the government not implementing further devolution? It's really demented just how certain they are that the government is trying to cheat them out of this thing which they have committed to, scheduled, etc.

And I'm sure that when the government does end up devolving more powers nothing will satisfy them anyway. It's basically Yes supporters, who wanted independence, making all the noise about devolution when it wasn't enough for them in the first place since they voted Yes after all. If you voted Yes then you weren't one of the No voters who might have changed their vote on that basis to begin with; although it seems the nationalists are really exaggerating how important this issue was to No voters too.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

jre posted:

I think that Grindr poll came closest in the end.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Mukip posted:

Why do the nationalists keep endlessly going on about the government not implementing further devolution? It's really demented just how certain they are that the government is trying to cheat them out of this thing which they have committed to, scheduled, etc.

They are absolutely desperate to say I told you so, to the point where they are wishing for something against their own interests.

G1mby posted:

I think that Grindr poll came closest in the end.

welp.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

Mukip posted:

And I'm sure that when the government does end up devolving more powers nothing will satisfy them anyway. It's basically Yes supporters, who wanted independence, making all the noise about devolution when it wasn't enough for them in the first place since they voted Yes after all. If you voted Yes then you weren't one of the No voters who might have changed their vote on that basis to begin with; although it seems the nationalists are really exaggerating how important this issue was to No voters too.

It's not all or nothing, people are allowed to have different views of varying importance. I don't see how that's hard for you to understand.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Spooky Hyena posted:

Yeah okay, an unofficial boycott of supermarkets is despicable and hugely damaging but the orange order doesn't mean anything in modern Scotland :jerkbag:

Just a few days ago people were sneering that the Orange Order was a spent force withering away to nothing and that their march had to be bulked up with busloads from England - now, though, they're a threat of such mass that they will destabilise the nation? Make your minds up, Yes.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 24, 2014

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

kapparomeo posted:

Just a few days ago people were sneering that the Orange Order was a spent force withering away to nothing and that their march had to be bulked up with busloads from England - now, though, they're a threat that will destabilise the nation? Make your minds up, Yes.

Quote the first one. Because if I remember correctly, that was entirely the view of the no-supporters in this thread minimizing the orange order's marches for no.

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK

Mukip posted:

although it seems the nationalists are really exaggerating how important this issue was to No voters too.

I've noticed this too. If I'd wanted Holyrood to have extra powers I would have voted yes and I can't be the only one. Wasn't there some statistic showing most no voters had made there choice before the exta powers were talked about? Can't remember

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

Rain Temple posted:

I've noticed this too. If I'd wanted Holyrood to have extra powers I would have voted yes and I can't be the only one. Wasn't there some statistic showing most no voters had made there choice before the exta powers were talked about? Can't remember

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/news/292749-ashcroft-poll-no-voters-would-always-have-rejected-independence/

Which isn't a good thing, it strongly suggests that the no voters were avoiding critical introspection on the issue. It also shows that the swing toward yes actually increased as information from both campaigns were made more widely available.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Rain Temple posted:

Most people made their minds up years ago. The campaign was only ever about the middle 20-25% of "undecided" voters ever.

Spooky Hyena posted:

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/news/292749-ashcroft-poll-no-voters-would-always-have-rejected-independence/

Which isn't a good thing, it strongly suggests that the no voters were avoiding critical introspection on the issue. It also shows that the swing toward yes actually increased as information from both campaigns were made more widely available.

I would argue that it's the people on the fence who were swaying to emotive arguments are exactly the people who lack "critical introspection" on the matter.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 24, 2014

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Spooky Hyena posted:

Although more No voters it seems were from wealthier (higher educated) demographics. Granted, for No voters who saw themselves as being British as much as Scottish they probably weren't interested in weighing up the arguements for independence and just rejected it out of hand; but there's nothing wrong with being grounded like that.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

Mukip posted:

Although more No voters it seems were from wealthier (higher educated) demographics. Granted, for No voters who saw themselves as being British as much as Scottish they probably weren't interested in weighing up the arguements for independence and just rejected it out of hand; but there's nothing wrong with being grounded like that.

There is, rejecting one side out of hand isn't a good-faith argument. I'd think that was obvious, but given your posts here...

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm pretty sure that exact petition came up before and we dismissed it because it was extremely unlikely that all the German, American, Portuguese, etc. signatures did or could vote Yes.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Spooky Hyena posted:

There is, rejecting one side out of hand isn't a good-faith argument. I'd think that was obvious, but given your posts here...

You don't have to weigh up every arguement in a neutral and laborous manner. Chucking babies off skyscrapers is wrong; I must admit I have not bothered to weigh up the pros of cons of doing so but it doesn't mean I lack critical introspection to form a snap judgement on the matter.

For Scottish people who feel more Scottish than British then the subject of independence is debatable; but for Scottish people who feel equally British and Scottish I assume they are mostly going to be fundamentally uninterested in independence since they see the whole of the UK as their country and wouldn't be amenable to splitting it up. Some people can't be bought on subjects like this and that's fine.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Mukip posted:

but for Scottish people who feel equally British and Scottish I assume they are mostly going to be fundamentally uninterested in independence since they see the whole of the UK as their country.

Actually that depends with certain people. A lot of people would actually still call themselves British and Scottish regardless of the result and some have even voted yes for their cultural, historical and geographical sense of britshness rather then the politcal union. I know a few folk who think like this so it's hard to tell if people who call themselves British first/equally are going to just automatically go no (Though that is the likely outcome anyways)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

You keep calling people smug. I don't think you know what this word means.

There was, I believe only 2 polls that ever showed Yes in the lead. One was so long ago I cant even remember it, and the YouGov one that was trumpeted as Yes taking momentum was published on the same day as 2 other polls that showed no change, and then 3 days later by another poll that still showed No in the lead.

That yougov poll had some of the weirdest weighting of any in the entire campaign.

It was very possible for all the polls to be wrong in the same direction because, unlike in the US, Scotland wasn't exactly a fertile polling ground beforehand and the weights could've been way off. I didn't trust the polls enough to bet on the race even though I put six figures down in '08 for a race that had exactly the same margins. In fact I'm kind of suspicious that the final morning's poll, the one that nailed the 54-46 result, was a lucky outlier because none of the other ones from 1-2 days earlier came closer than three points (?) with no intervening news. If I'm wrong, this whole thing was actually a pretty big win for poll science.

Having said that, if Salmond was "confident" of a win, you really didn't want him in charge anyway.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The Yes vote was not necessarily a vote for further devolution (within the UK). The No vote was not necessarily a vote for the status quo. I don't understand how people are equating all Yes voters with rabid independence or nothing nationalists and all No voters with "everything is fine as it is, god save the queen". The independence referendum is over, we got a result and we should accept it - most people do. That doesn't mean we have to retain a tribalistic devotion to agreeing on everything with others who voted the same way as us.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Spooky Hyena posted:

Yeah, I for one am shocked that there isn't real retrospection coming into this thread from the independence supporters. The fact that it's increasingly become an echochamber is unrelated, I guess.
It's nothing to do with this thread - while I'm sure everyone ITT is interesting and informed, I doubt that there's anyone here who is sufficiently close to the people who were running the campaign or its unofficial offshoots to provide any really insightful analysis. I'm talking about (for want of a better word) the commentariat and the more thoughtful of the high profile bloggers.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A lot of them are in America.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Pissflaps posted:

Neither will be enough for nationalists, but will be enough for the 55% who voted to limit Holyrood's powers.

But we (Scotland) were promised more powers if we voted No. So by voting No we were voting to increase Holyroods powers.

Unless you were being sarcastic?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

duckmaster posted:

But we (Scotland) were promised more powers if we voted No. So by voting No we were voting to increase Holyroods powers.

Unless you were being sarcastic?

Anything less than voting for independence is voting to limit Holyrood's powers. Those voting No made no statement one way or the other about far below independence they wanted Holyrood's powers to be. They didn't vote to increase Holyrood's powers, and they didn't vote to decrease them either.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
How about we just let people who know jackshit simmer in their own ignorance; while we Scots go about the very important and immediate business of building a new country regardless of the outcome that is and will be more socially just for all?

EDIT: And we're NOT loving nationalists. It's been enough of that bullshit.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Coohoolin posted:

EDIT: And we're NOT loving nationalists. It's been enough of that bullshit.

You are loving nationalists and it's cute how you keep futilely denying it.

• Locked thread