Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
"I might be hiding for my life, but food is worth it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I'm going to pick up 2 more this weekend, so it all evens out I guess?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From PYF, admittedly they're a little bigger than the poultry y'all have.

https://i.imgur.com/7e0IOGo.mp4

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Didn't get back home till 9 yesterday and it was raining heavily and it looked like all the chickens were in the coop, so I closed it up. What do I see this morning but Lil' Cheep wandering around in the yard, wet and somewhat annoyed, who had decided to again spend the night in the tree. Unfortunately if this continues I'm pretty sure an owl will come along so I can't really have it. Got the idea to take the hose to them from elsewhere on the internet, easier than climbing up or trying to grab them; may also have to coop them up for 3 days or so. They even have their choice of roost styles in their coop (branch or 2x4), so I'm not really sure why they don't want to use them.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

They're going to roost in the highest place they can find, so if a tree is available that's where they're going.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Chooks sure love getting high. :birddrugs:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

just trim their wings

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Second egg this morning!

I figured it must be one of the Sussexes, Lorelai or Mrs. Kim, who laid the first one, because they're the oldest. But this morning when I opened the run both of them came running out and one of the Orpingtons, Rory, didn't. Opened the coop and saw her sitting in a nest box with a very do-not-disturb look on her face.

Went out again an hour later and she was eating breakfast with the others and there was a fresh egg in the nest box.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

just trim their wings

Well, when I say 'tree', really it's more of a large shrub:

You can probably tell why they love roosting in it, it has these great horizontal stems they can just hop between, so I doubt that clipping their wings would keep them out of it. And it has these wonderful pink blooms in the Spring so I really don't want to cut a lot of it off. (You can also see the fishing line I strung up - so far it's highly effective, no more losses!) But at night a couple of them like to get up in the very, very top and hide.

My current hope is that it's just a little too dark in their coop at night for them to see the roosts, so I got a nightlight. There is a window but I think it's angled such that the roosts are in darkness. Fingers crossed. If that doesn't do anything I'll persist with manual relocation for a while.

Here they are hanging out:

Mozi fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 17, 2018

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Cythereal posted:

From PYF, admittedly they're a little bigger than the poultry y'all have.
give me time, emus are one of the species i'm interested in farming (they need a lot of space though)

a few years ago i almost bought a baby ostrich off craigslist, obviously i'm glad i didn't but it would definitely have led to interesting times

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

You couldn't pay me enough to have an emu. Chickens are close enough to raptors as it is. An emu could straight gently caress you up any time it wanted, haha.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Four days, four eggs :toot:

Unfortunately, we offered the chickens some baloney scraps the other day and now they are convinced that fingers are food.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Pecking fingers hones their predatory instincts.

There is nothing wrong with pecking the hand that feeds you.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Ghostnuke posted:

You couldn't pay me enough to have an emu. Chickens are close enough to raptors as it is. An emu could straight gently caress you up any time it wanted, haha.
i'm told ostriches will gently caress you up, but emus are actually pretty gentle. most of the wildlife parks around here have a tame emu or two and they're inquisitive and peaceful creatures. but they are unrepentant snack pinchers and sandwich thieves

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
If I ever get a place outside the city, I'll be getting a pair of emus.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

McGiggins posted:

Pecking fingers hones their predatory instincts.

There is nothing wrong with pecking the hand that feeds you.

My 4yo is scared of the chickens now. :(

On the plus side we're still seeing one egg a day from Rory. The sussies are being lazy and still haven't started laying yet despite being the oldest of the bunch.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

this broken hill posted:

i'm told ostriches will gently caress you up, but emus are actually pretty gentle. most of the wildlife parks around here have a tame emu or two and they're inquisitive and peaceful creatures. but they are unrepentant snack pinchers and sandwich thieves

Time to post this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZr8Y5y6ug

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

When I was a kid my parents took me to a drive through wildlife safari thing and an ostrich came up to the car in a threatening manner, our windows were closed though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

My 4yo is scared of the chickens now. :(

lock said 4 year old in a chicken dungeon forever. it will become the king.

alternatively: sell the child and buy more chickens

holy gently caress those are some big water moccasins.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
"I hate emus. They're so emu-y." :allears:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Chipmunks have taken to banqueting at the chicken feeder in the coop.. while a chicken stares at them from a foot away, nonplussed.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Mozi posted:

Chipmunks have taken to banqueting at the chicken feeder in the coop.. while a chicken stares at them from a foot away, nonplussed.

the squirrels in our yard are Very Fat but the chickens don't seem to care so whatever.

in other news we thought one of our hens had stopped laying but ha ha nope she just found a new secret place to lay, in a nearly-inaccessible corner behind the compost

thanks, for that, you dang sneaky bird

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mozi posted:

Our chickens react to chipmunks by immediately charging them in a blood frenzy. So far the chipmunks have always escaped. So far.

Meanwhile, Rory has started announcing successful egg lays by spending a few minutes going "bkbkbkbkbkbkbkbkbkBGAWK! bkbkbkbkbkbkbkbkBGAWK!" in the middle of the backyard every morning. Lorelai and Mrs. Kim are still slacking off and haven't started laying yet despite being a few weeks older, but if they do the same thing the backyard is going to get pretty cacaphonous once they start.

Made egg fried rice over the weekend and holy poo poo these eggs are so yellow.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Our chickens react to chipmunks by immediately charging them in a blood frenzy. So far the chipmunks have always escaped. So far.

Meanwhile, Rory has started announcing successful egg lays by spending a few minutes going "bkbkbkbkbkbkbkbkbkBGAWK! bkbkbkbkbkbkbkbkBGAWK!" in the middle of the backyard every morning. Lorelai and Mrs. Kim are still slacking off and haven't started laying yet despite being a few weeks older, but if they do the same thing the backyard is going to get pretty cacaphonous once they start.

Made egg fried rice over the weekend and holy poo poo these eggs are so yellow.

Omg Gilmore Chicks!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mozi posted:

Shoot it, skin it and feed it to the chickens. They'll learn to see it as a source of food and you won't waste a shitload of money overpopulating the neighborhood with chipmunks that can't sustain.

(why are 80% of my suggestions in this thread "kill it in a blood rage")

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
They're bantams so I think the chipmunks are just barely large enough in relation to not appear to be easy prey? I was hoping that one of the larger ones would get more curious at some point. I guess a trap might work otherwise.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

Omg Gilmore Chicks!

Yep :kimchi:

We can't tell the Sussexes apart reliably, so we just arbitrarily declare that Mrs. Kim is whichever of the two of them looks more disapproving at the moment. Rory is the curious and energetic Orpington and Lane is the shy one.

Left to right: Lane, Rory, Lorelai, Mrs. Kim.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ToxicFrog posted:

Yep :kimchi:

We can't tell the Sussexes apart reliably, so we just arbitrarily declare that Mrs. Kim is whichever of the two of them looks more disapproving at the moment. Rory is the curious and energetic Orpington and Lane is the shy one.

Left to right: Lane, Rory, Lorelai, Mrs. Kim.

We put coloured plastic leg rings on our hens, mainly because we initially thought we wouldn't be able to tell them apart (ha!) and secondly, if they decided to run off it would be obvious they were someone's property (ours are lazy, spoilt on treats and cushions ever to consider running away).

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I named one of my identical chooks drumsticks and I need to circle her leg before it heals and she once again fades back into the crowd of two.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

McGiggins posted:

I named one of my identical chooks drumsticks and I need to circle her leg before it heals and she once again fades back into the crowd of two.

I took two of our hens for a checkup a while ago, handed the box they were in to the vet, who said,

"Which hen is which?"
I said, "the edges of Molly's cape feathers are dark brown, while Pip's are translucent" (so obvious!)

He just stared at me blankly...
For what seemed the longest time I stared back, thinking c'mon, it's so obvious!

Finally, I said, "Molly is the hen with the hernia."

He's an exceptional vet, but I was so disappointed in him for that.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A few of my paisley quails are so identical that I really can't tell them apart. I need to get leg rings.

The current flock:
Waffles
Goofus
Gallant
Red Sonja (was thought as female, turned out to be a rooster)
Klendathu
Treppy
Hrimmy
Shitbird

Eggs continue to trickle out. I found two yesterday! I have nothing else to report, everything is going okay. I do go out of town this weekend, and while someone is coming by to check on them, I expect disasters to occur while my back is turned.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I took a month or so to name all of mine, but as they came naturally I never forgot or get them mixed up.
Chester, Lil' Cheep (aka Cheepers), Frank, Courage, Colonel Forbin (aka Forbie, the Colonel, Kernie), Gray Lady, and Speckly
Roger and the Black Knight, RIP.

Still under 3 months old so ways to go for eggs yet...

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I don't name everybody but there's a buff orpington chick right now named Zap/Zapdos because it LOVES hitting the electric fence. This isn't just a "I'm scared and running" thing. It throws itself into it for the gently caress of it just every wild now and again. I can be across the pasture and I hear "BREEP" *POP* and then it beeps wildly to itself.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That's loving hilarious.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
He just does it for the kicks, man...

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Not a battery hen is it?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

spookygonk posted:

Not a battery hen is it?

oh no

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KWeKZyxEZA

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
In the absence of other stimulants, gotta get a buzz where you can, y'know? :birddrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

spookygonk posted:

Not a battery hen is it?

Hahahah