Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is Terra good even with her glint rather than USB? Might grab her OSB from the dream draw when we get it if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Avalerion posted:

Is Terra good even with her glint rather than USB? Might grab her OSB from the dream draw when we get it if so.

I've read her glint is comparable in short fights. Luckily the game is based almost entirely on speed runs these days so it should work fine!

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Two pulls gets me Locke USB1, Greg USB2, Terra LMR. I'm satisfied with that; I already have Krile's chain so the gen-2 one would be nice but not especially necessary, but my fire kit was very magic-heavy until now so getting two physical USBs is helpful. And if I ever stumble across Terra USB down the road somehow I'll have the LMR part of the combo already, so that's a bonus.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
3/11: Locke's USB, Greg's BSB and Terra's BSB (dupe)

3/11: Terra's USB x2, Terra's AOSB

drat. Looks like I get to see Terra in action now.

I'm sorely tempted to try again for Greg, but I'm on 8/14 dupes now and my luck can't last forever. Got to save for Banner 5. It looks like his chain and USB come back on a V banner in November or so...

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Is there a good physical fire banner on the horizon?

My current options are Edgar USB, Refia USB, and Bartz USB with LD. I could be motivated to dive Edgar if I don't pull anything better before 5* magicites but Refia is really bad.

I also have some lovely bsbs but they can't even handle 4*s so they might as well not exist.

I already have Terra USB+OSB+AOSB so I'd rather not pull if there is another option down the road.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ripley posted:

I'm sorely tempted to try again for Greg, but I'm on 8/14 dupes now and my luck can't last forever. Got to save for Banner 5. It looks like his chain and USB come back on a V banner in November or so...

Plus jp's current fest has a fire banner with his chain though we'll see if that one stays. Same here though, really wanted something for him but it's very much fanboy rather than actual need at this point.

That said, chains are great. :D Went from clearing with heavy rng needed to an easy sub:

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is there a good physical fire banner on the horizon?

Bartz aosb/usb2/glint, dunno how much difference that would make for you. Then the Jecht/Auron one maybe?

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 27, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
1/11: Locke LMR
2/11: Locke LMR, Terra BSB

CRAAAAAAAAAAAP

3/11: Locke LMR, Locke BSB, Greg CSB

Whew, ok 👌 😋

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Pulled a second time, Gilgamesh Chain and Locke LMR!! I have +fire armor for days!

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Avalerion posted:

Bartz aosb/usb2/glint, dunno how much difference that would make for you. Then the Jecht/Auron one maybe?

Yeah, this. Apparently Auron's USB2 makes him a top Phy Fire contender, but the rest of the banner is pretty spotty at best.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Well holy poo poo:

Now I'm faced with a problem. My MAG Fire team is currently just fine. OK mUSB, Papalymo dived with BSB (and going to whale for his tech on the next 14 banner), Ace BSB/USB, Krile Chain/BSB1. Terra is better than any of these, I agree, but I don't know if I need her badly enough to pull more.

That being said, I do need Physical Fire. The Locke USB isn't great, but obviously Gilgamesh tech is very desirable. Should I pull on B2 or not?

help me goons you're my only hope~

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

ceaselessfuture posted:

Always don't never not be un-pulling.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Well holy poo poo:

Now I'm faced with a problem. My MAG Fire team is currently just fine. OK mUSB, Papalymo dived with BSB (and going to whale for his tech on the next 14 banner), Ace BSB/USB, Krile Chain/BSB1. Terra is better than any of these, I agree, but I don't know if I need her badly enough to pull more.

That being said, I do need Physical Fire. The Locke USB isn't great, but obviously Gilgamesh tech is very desirable. Should I pull on B2 or not?

Always pull.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I actually managed to employ Shelke BSB for its intended purpose.

:wtf:

Aphmau was MVP this time for offering hastega with her USB. But if I was going to stick with only two DPS (as Squall/Ayame ramp up the quickest but don't complement OK for DPS) then I needed consistent instacast. Which meant Shelke. But relying on OK for Protectga meant that I could only fit one break on him to mitigate those late tail slaps. Which meant I had to pull something from the crazy bag of tricks that had been collecting dust from opportunity costs. At least this time none of the gang died!

I'm curious about the AI pattern here. The windup to Ultimate Sapphire Beam is obviously on a strict timer, but I would like to know if any other attacks work that way, and if any of Sapphire Weapon's attacks care about Shell.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I had 3 Locke USB daggers. I now have one 7* dagger... I think I hosed up and used one to upgrade instead of combine. :saddowns:

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I had 3 Locke USB daggers. I now have one 7* dagger... I think I hosed up and used one to upgrade instead of combine. :saddowns:

I did that with my 3rd Cloud USB sword. FFRK support will recover it for you, but they're very "you only get one recovery EVER" so I opted not to do it for something that doesn't have +element.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
I have poor impulse control and only have ~60 mythril saved up. :( How much more mythril are we expecting to receive over the course of the phased banners?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Up to 100 more depending on what you want to pull on, in depth writeup here: https://old.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/8rg5sl/tentative_mythril_planner_for_fest/

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Managed to down Mote dungeon Wladislaus in 21s with a new setup.

Ramza with chain and on Full Break/Strength Breakdown duty, Tyro with Godwall and Thundering Quadstrike/Tempest Snipe, Beatrix using BSB2 (it benefits from the Light Chain, but still deals Thunder damage!), Prompto with Defense Breakdown and his BSB, and Relm keeping everyone alive.

Incidentally, do Imperil effects do anything on these monsters with 200% weakness already?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nope. 200% weakness is the hard cap.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Glad I didn't gamble on using Prompto's USB instead then.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
TGC's USB and Ramza's CSB got me my final sub-30 for the 4* Magicites

Tech used:
Cid Raines: BSB, OSB
Vanille: USB
Ramza: CSB, USB
Ceodore: BSB
TGC: USB

I have Ceodore's USB but the BSB here made a lot of sense with Vanille only using her USB. Not exactly dealing a lot of damage but I needed someone who could cast Hastega, Lifesiphon/Wrath and contribute (Beatrix is another Knight with 5* White access...neat!).

I wasn't able to finish it off before the chain ended but with a combination of Raines CMD1 and Ramza's USB, I was able to get back-to-back instant OSBs, which was pretty satisfying to pull off.

Philouza fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 27, 2018

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I’ve, uh, tried to beat Tiamat, and ,well.... I am never going to beat him, ever. I am tapping out of fighting Tiamat permanently!

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
how much does Breaking help against Ixion?
since hes only lvl 6 resistant to Breaks instead of 8 it seems like they might do something.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Shoenin posted:

how much does Breaking help against Ixion?
since hes only lvl 6 resistant to Breaks instead of 8 it seems like they might do something.

They make a slight dent but it's not worth bringing a dedicated support character for, imo. I bring Full Break on Ramza since he's just there to buff and then entrust, but if I hadn't drawn his Shout V2 relic I would't have room for it and honestly wouldn't miss it much.

Ixion is fairly squishy anyway, the real danger is from getting your mitigation dispelled and breaks aren't gonna make up for not reapplying them in time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ixion doesn't hit hard enough with non-piercing attacks to worry about even bringing proshellga in the first place. Just wall is good enough.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've heard of a few people using Meliadoul BSB for Ixion. Even though there's the usual breakdown resistance, Meliadoul's Entry, C1, and C2 all stack together and all hit ATK. So even through resistance the sheer number of stacking debuffs she can do by herself can still make a dent.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Ixion is less resistant to breaks than all other Magicite. It's a part of the dispel gimmick. With enough breaks you can mitigate his damage nicely.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Not pulling again til #5. I'm good on Wind/Water/Ice, but my Earth game needs some shoring up. If I clear out the rest of the elites I should have 7 pulls to look for Garnet's chain as well as do that.

And I bet, I'll either not get it at all or get it on pull 1.

Is there anything really good on the horizon I should be saving some pulls for?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Next fest aside, Bartz AOSB/USB2/Glint, Vincent chain/Sephiroth everything and Rinoa/Quistis banners.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/7u7kdc/crystals_adventurer_jp_relic_draw_thread_v/
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/80tf1x/gaias_invasion_jp_relic_draw_thread_vii/
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/88gtvr/words_of_beginning_jp_relic_draw_thread_viii/

I'm getting a bit iffy about the 5th banner of this fest - it's objectively good but my physical earth is already fine so Tifa is eh, and I have nothing else for magic lighting so don't think Garnet or Ashe could carry that kind of team unless I get usb and chain for both ... I haven't even cleared 4* magicides yet so even though dual 5* ones are coming out soon that won't be a concern for some time for me, I think.

Mostly weighting this against more pulls on 2nd for Terra stuff, since her relics don't seem to reoccur anytime soon... :ohdear:

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 28, 2018

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I’d only recommend the butts banner for people who plan to go all in on butts. 6*s:

ASB is great but remember that you need to collect his bsbs for en-elements.

USB2 is great but not much of an improvement over USB1 if you have it. If at all.

Lenna USB2 is terrible. Non instant healer USB might as well not exist in 2018 unless you’re gearing up for the hardest nu torments. Please don’t do that.

Galuf CSB is great.

Banner also has a good glint for Bartz but I’d honestly rank this banner as mostly fan pull territory. It’s not terrible but I don’t think it really stands out for most people. I’ll probably go in myself because I’d like to have the biggest Butts.

That Rinoa/Quistis is a five 6* banner already and looks a lot better in a vacoom if you ask me.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

His bsbs are in the archives, and next fest should have an usb select so that’s somewhere to grab his usb1, assembling a kit for him shouldn’t be that painfull - though obviously lots of competition on the usb select.

I kind of agree though, his benefit is that he’s four characters in one but he also needs a dozen relics to pull that off, so you are really just saving on the legend dive. Performance wise I think dedicated characters will do as well, if not better per element.

I’m probabably skipping it too - having Ingus and Cinque kitted out makes Galuf less appealing and Bartz does seem to sneak his way into fest banners fairly frequently. On VII and VIII i’m going balls deep though, so good thing they are somewhat spaced apart. :D

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

so I'm just kinda casually starting this, and I'm looking at a choice of relic thing from book of trials 1. What the hell do I choose? I've heard that there are some essential relics to get, but I don't see a noob guide to what to grab.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

so I'm just kinda casually starting this, and I'm looking at a choice of relic thing from book of trials 1. What the hell do I choose? I've heard that there are some essential relics to get, but I don't see a noob guide to what to grab.
you're best off not choosing yet, at least until after the current fest is over. But equipment that gives a boost to elemental damage like the Air Knife are the most value you'll get out of the first 2 selections.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

you're best off not choosing yet, at least until after the current fest is over. But equipment that gives a boost to elemental damage like the Air Knife are the most value you'll get out of the first 2 selections.

I went ahead and spent the 5 mithril each on the realm pulls from the event, seemed like a good deal. Presumably the 5-6s that I got should inform who I use and/or unlock with hero summons. I got a 6 star for Yuna so I grabbed her quick, but FF9's way down the tree so I unlocked Zidane ahead of time to use the 5 star I got for him.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

NinjaDebugger posted:

IMO, the Kaiser Shield for Agrias is the most worthwhile relic from book 1 for a new player. It's a decent soul break (for a unique) and gives +lightning damage on armor.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

I went ahead and spent the 5 mithril each on the realm pulls from the event, seemed like a good deal. Presumably the 5-6s that I got should inform who I use and/or unlock with hero summons. I got a 6 star for Yuna so I grabbed her quick, but FF9's way down the tree so I unlocked Zidane ahead of time to use the 5 star I got for him.
Yeah the Parade draws are pretty good value, especially if you're new and have a low chance of getting dupes. Avoid the "Newcomer's Welcome Relic Draw" banners, and the "Conquering the Crystal Tower" banners like the plague.

There's a free relic draw that gives you one 6* and seven 5* relics; do that if you haven't already

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

Yeah the Parade draws are pretty good value, especially if you're new and have a low chance of getting dupes. Avoid the "Newcomer's Welcome Relic Draw" banners, and the "Conquering the Crystal Tower" banners like the plague.

There's a free relic draw that gives you one 6* and seven 5* relics; do that if you haven't already

I did that one right off, anything that says free I'm just gonna take unless, like the trial, it involves a choice, then I wait until i can get some advice on what to take. I play fantasy war tactics, so I'm well aware of the value of set picks. I don't really care much about this game, I just got tired of FFBE's dumbass character gacha and all my favorite characters being garbage, so mostly I just want to take Celes and the FF9 crew out and kill some poo poo.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I'll be doing a short writeup on the AA soon with the new OP, but in the meantime my advice to you would just be to do all the pulls you unlock but save the selections for when you need them. With a new account, getting ANY relic is a massive boost, so choosing a specific one from the AA is way harder than when you've been playing for a month and realize you really need a medica or something. The selections don't go away so you can sit on them for as long as you need.

In the meantime, go ham on any and all fest banners. It'd be a goddamn shame if you didn't get the opportunity to roll on b1, but b3 is excellent.

e: also don't sleep on the 15 Realms on Parade draws for 5 myth each. Very well worth it and for a fresh account it's easily the best expenditure you can find.

As for FFBE, I hopped over there for a bit and found the gatcha and the game itself to be way harsher and more demanding than FFRK is. We like to be chill here and pull on banners with guaranteed rainbows while kitting out our waifus.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 28, 2018

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I am also in the new casual camp so related question, what counts as a fest banner right now? There are like a billion of these things active - the free summer sun thing was obvious but there are also two different non-free summer sun things USB, USB with a IV, AO with a IV, AO with a I. I'm guessing the 5 mithril realms on parade is the definitely-pull stuff, but do we want to try to hit any of the others or just sit on remaining mithril after that?

And given the glut of free stuff right now do we want to mess with any of the typical rerolling nonsense or can we safely ignore that with this game?

edit: half answered while I was posting, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I'll second that, Agrias' Kaiser Shield is arguably the only relic worth picking from Book 1, none of the soul breaks are 'good' compared to new stuff, but hers is a 50% atk/mag debuff which is still relevant, and the armor itself is usable.

For the rest of the picks, it's best to pick towards filling gaps in your team - which, as a new player, you have almost nothing but gaps so it can be hard to make a choice. In general though, it's best to aim for stuff that buffs your party, as damaging soul breaks are a dime a dozen but buffs are less common and way more important. Now that we have access to the Hastega spell, soul breaks that provide haste are much less crucial than they used to be, but they're still useful. For book 2, like book 1, the Unique soul breaks are all incredibly outdated, but potential 'better than nothing' options are Aerith's party+50% atk buff, Relm's haste+crit buff, or Y'shtola's Wall clone (which some might argue is still good enough to be the obvious pick, but y'shtola herself isn't a good enough healer these days). Alternatively you can pick for the strongest equipment option, in which case Bartz' Cloak is the most valuable option, and the soul break itself gives wind infuse which could be usable if you end up with his USB+ stuff later.

• Locked thread