Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Not in the mood for any longer diatribes, so here's a few quick and dirty impressions from this weekend on Netflix and beyond:

The Conjuring 2 3/5

Decently scary at times with some good imagery, but it's unfocused as all hell. They tried to go for too many bad guys and wound up using the cool image of the demon nun as a crutch. It's a lot like Insidious 2 where is gets so bogged down with its own original lore that the main story feels pushed to the background. James Wan is keeping modern horror alive, but he's fallen into a super predictable groove that I wish he'd step out of.

Hector and the Search for Happiness 2.5/5

It's the anti-Eat, Pray, Love, which doesn't necessarily make it good but it's at least better. Actually that's sort of unfair, it's exactly like Eat, Pray, Love only it's cynical and chooses to find happiness in spite of the ugliness in the world, instead of flat out ignoring it. I like Simon Pegg, but the best parts of this movie was when it let him put his energy into the scene and most of the time it's just watching him blandly stumble around.

Man Up 2/5

More Pegg. It's far too predictable of a rom-com and doesn't earn the relationship in the end by any stretch of the imagination. A few good scenes, a handful of decent jokes, and a bunch of soulless nonsense. It feels like they tried to do a modern rom-com and lost all inspiration so they plugged more modern interpretations of the genre into a standard formula.

Mascots 2.5/5

I like Christopher Guest movies, sort of. I know the whole style isn't supposed to be laugh-out-loud funny as much as it is just inwardly amusing. This one is sort of par for the course, but I don't know why it doesn't work as well here. Maybe the whole mascot competition thing is too esoteric to really grasp. Maybe it's because the last third of the movie stops all the fun character moments in favor of just outright showing you the competition. Just didn't do it for me in the end.

The Decoy Bride 4/5

It's really standard rom-com fair, but I have such a huge crush on Kelly MacDonald and a man crush on David Tennant so I still like this dumb movie. Sue me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Film festival updates. Wrote six quick summaries, have six more to write when I have time.

Redline - 4/5
It's basically a high-octane anime Wacky Races. Mostly nonsense but entertaining nonsense that gains hugely from being seen on a large screen with very loud sound, and the art style and animation is still amazing.

Interstella 5555 - 4/5
I love the Daft Punk album Discovery but had never seen this - my only experience being seeing the videos of One More Time and Aerodynamic that are just segments of this film. Being entirely music with no dialogue it has a lot to do in terms of telling it's story visually and it does a very good job with it, and it moves at a real hefty pace too.

The Master Cleanse - 3/5
A real oddball comic horror (and real light on the 'horror' element) about a lonely, awkward man who tries to fix his broken life by going on a detoxification retreat and finds that the methods employed are pretty unconventional. There's a fun turn about halfway through but from that point it becomes increasingly obvious where things are going and it start to drag a little despite a run time of only just over 80 minutes. Nice couple of surprise appearances by a couple of (relatively) big names too.

I Am Not A Serial Killer - 4/5
A complete surprise to me, a film about a disturbed teenager who may be a sociopath (played by Max Records) who can't help but get involved investigating the serial murders that start happening in his small Minnesota town. Christopher Lloyd is great as his elderly neighbour who is unexpectedly involved. The film has a great tone and atmosphere and the muddy 16mm makes you sad that films just don't look like this any more. I really enjoyed it.

Pet - 2/5
A very blah American horror movie with Dominic Monaghan about a stalker who imprisons his target as a pet but quickly finds her getting the upper hand over him. It has a couple of nice moments but is dumb as a sack of rocks and mostly very predictable.

Mother - 3/5
An Estonian drama (with a little dark comedy) about a woman caring for her son who has been shot and has lapsed into a coma, and her increasing weariness with the parade of visitors wanting to find out what her son did with his money. It's very small scale and well focussed but doesn't really hit on anything special.

SaavikSpocksDaddy
Dec 22, 2012
Satan's Little Helper - 2.8/5
Hellraiser - 3.4/5
Hellraiser 2 - 2.7/5
REC - 3.5/5
REC 2 - 2.7/5

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Satan's Little helper ftw

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Dr. Strange

I'd say in general, for a given series of Marvel films, the first iteration is usually pretty strong. Iron Man was one of if not the best MCU film pre-Avengers (not that Avengers was better), Captain America was a solid period piece, Thor was a nice fish out of water comedy, etc. In this respect, Dr. Strange definitely follows suit. We'll see how subsequent iterations live up to this example, but for now I'm going to say I was very satisfied with the movie and the character.

Much has been written about the similarities between Strange and Tony Stark, both being arrogant know it alls that were humbled and crippled by an encounter. What sets Strange apart is that he is legitimately humbled. Tony Stark has the recurring issue of proving he's the smartest person in the room, getting tripped up by something, and then admitting that maybe in this one occurrence he was wrong and someone else was right, only to repeat the cycle in the next film. Strange actually steps back to look at himself (literally, when he was in the hospital) and says "Christ, I've been a major rear end in a top hat". Most of his dickishness is only alluded to rather than on screen, but we still get the sense that going forward is a very different Stephen Strange than what we were initially introduced to.

Visually, the film is a treat. I know 3D is controversial for multiple reasons, but it definitely works as intended here. One of the major strengths is that many of the 3D scenes are intended to provoke the kind of unease and queasiness that can happen normally when watching a 3D film. The film does go to great lengths to show how magic is unlike anything we've seen before, ranging from instant teleportation to alternate dimensions and astral projection. There's a rawness to the special effects that let the viewer believe it's both ancient and unrefined, unlike the sleek scientific tools we see elsewhere.

The weakness for me is that the pacing of this movie is very strange. About three times throughout the film, we start things off at a breakneck pace about Strange Doing Stuff, and then it slows down once a bunch of exposition is dumped on us. These frantic parts remind me of Star Wars: The Force Awakens in that I never really have time to catch my breath and digest what's going on. The exposition dumps, by contrast, seem to stretch minuscule amounts of information into a boring chat between two people. I just wish there was a better balance between the two, especially with some more visual communication.

All in all, It's a very strong entry to the MCU. Marvel makes very good standalone films, but the connective tissue that binds them is usually kind of messy. We'll see how Strange interacts with other major characters, as I assume he's supposed to show up in Thor 3. But for now, he's no longer an rear end in a top hat, but not quite a Sorcerer Supreme.

8/10

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
John Wick I was in the mood for a straight-up action movie - no mutants or history books, just a dude kicking rear end - and this delivered. Good use of comedic relief... Simple and satisfying. 4/5

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Six Men Getting Six (Six Times)
The Alphabet
The Grandmother
The Amputee
Premonition Following an Evil Deed

David Lynch is a filmmaker that grew on me for a while. I remember the first time seeing Eraserhead and I was basically dumbfounded. His films sit around in your head for a while and you appreciate them more later. His short films are interesting because there's a clear path from his initial calling as a painter/sculptor into a filmmaker. I'll admit that Six Men... is kind of obnoxious (on the same level as the Hollis Frampton film with a phone ringing for 10 minutes), but the visual effect is striking. The Alphabet reminds me of James Vanderbeek's films (and later Terry Gilliam, who was inspired by his work).

You really see his style come to fruitation with The Grandmother. It goes full speed with surrealism, while having a surprisingly human edge to it. I really liked the way Lynch intercuts animation with heavily stylized live-action, sometimes even going to Norman McLaren styled pixilation. You can see the ideas of Eraserhead and his later work start to come into focus. The Amputee is basically just a video test shot on two different stocks. Not much to say other than that's one hell of a way to do test footage. Lastly, Premonition is Lynch's segment from Lumiere & Co. and absolutely terrifying.

(No star ratings, though I'd say The Grandmother is one of the best short films I've ever seen. Also, the restorations on Criterion's Eraserhead Blu-Ray look and sound amazing.)

Eraserhead (rewatch) - 10/10

There's something alluring about directors' first features being something so original and unique, while also being an artistic triumph. Every shot has a meaning and isn't wasted. The film takes on a nightmarish tone, but the kind where you're disoriented and confused, rather than scared. It also has some surprising humor peppered through (the dinner scene is hilarious). Still, I can't believe how good the film looks considering it was literally shot using proceeds from a paper route and with sets in an old stable. One thing that really makes the film come to life is the astonishing sound design. I watched this via the Criterion Blu-Ray and it felt like the sound was enveloping me, pulling me into this dark mysterious world.

Roger & Me - 10/10

Michael Moore is one filmmaker that doesn't hesitate to be blunt and to wear his heart on his sleeve. His first documentary feature is incredible. I kept seeing shades of the frenetic editing of F for Fake. It's one thing to make a documentary that makes you care about the subject matter, but his narration and construction pull you into a story.

A Perfect Candidate - 9/10

Oliver North goes to Washington. While not as polished - shot on video as opposed to Moore's largely 16mm photography - it gets the point across by just showing you. Things haven't really changed much in 25 years, have they?

D.O.A. - 8/10

"I'd like to report a murder - my own." Good noir. The story is a little nonsensical, but it adds to the disorienting tone.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Doc Strange: better than most Marvel fare, great visuals worth the big screen (but I didnt notice any worthwhile 3d), a bit shallow on character but still like a 4/5 or so, plus a perfect final confrontation and solution, I've never seen a conflict resolved that smartly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Arrival - 82/100
Days of Being Wild - 88/100
To the Wonder - 70/100
Selma - 84/100
Thief - 91/100

rewatch

The Thin Red Line - 96/100
Badlands - 93/100

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Badlands - 93/100

I had seen True Romance before watching Badlands. I didn't realize just how much it had borrowed from the earlier film.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

got any sevens posted:

Doc Strange: better than most Marvel fare, great visuals worth the big screen (but I didnt notice any worthwhile 3d), a bit shallow on character but still like a 4/5 or so, plus a perfect final confrontation and solution, I've never seen a conflict resolved that smartly.

I basically echo this reviewer. For the tired super hero genre, it was a breath of fresh, weird air even though it suffered from mostly strict adherence to the MCU origin formula. Visually very interesting, fun world to explore, more colorful and outlandish.

My major complaint besides weak writing is forcing Cumberbatch to use a stilted American accent that strips his performance of poetry and nuance.

I would put this closer to a 3/5 judged in a vacuum, but closer to 4 for super hero films, a genre I'm lukewarm on at best.

If I was ranking MCU films, I would rank the ones I've seen as follows from best to least best: Deadpool > Ant-Man > Dr. Strange > Avengers. I haven't seen any others, in case that helps calibrate you to my tastes.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Go see Guardians of the Galaxy if you think Doc Strange is a breath of fresh air.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Doctor Strange, I would rate at about 3.5 out of 5. 2.5 is a totally ok movie I was glad to see, while 3.5 means a movie that's gone a step beyond and did something great, but had some flaws.

Great visuals, good enough of a story and a neat bit of worldbuilding, brought down by being slightly formulaic in some ways and the kind of eyerolling "You silly materialist" stuff.

However I think we can all agree having the power to refill beer at a moment's notice is a power we all want.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
8.5/10 if you're a Potterfan
7.5/10 if you're not (still see the movie, it's a rollicking adventure)

To quell people's concerns, I'd say it's about 10% "HEY REMEMBER THIS FROM HARRY POTTER? WELL HERE'S SOME HINTTTSSSS" and 90% a great and charming standalone story. I expect that ratio to shift a lot in the sequels, though.

I wasn't expecting the plot to be much beyond "wacky wizard tries to round up all his escaped beasts" but that's only like half of the movie. The other half is some extremely dark wizardy stuff. The main threat of the movie is terrifying, and there are some good scares in there. The stuff with the beasts is good too though, it leads to some funny set pieces that break up the dark half of the plot.

There's also a super disturbing moment involving a metal chair and a pool of silvery stuff... you'll see when you get there.

Worldbuilding was cool. I love the wizard speakeasy and the whole underground scene. New York gets a lot of love as a setting. MACUSA (the US equivalent of the Ministry of Magic) is a pretty hosed up place and I like how much they explored how oppressive the American wizarding world is.

Acting wise: Eddie Redmayne was really good, pretty understated, and not obnoxiously breath-y like usual. The fat guy was a great character and the heart of the movie. You're rooting for him the whole way through. The two main women were great too.

Disappointment: Colin Farrell seemed a bit underused.

Big, BIG spoiler for the ending: Having his character revealed/transformed to be GrindelDepp at the end was pretty disappointing. I guess we don't get any more cool-looking Colin Farrell in the sequels, just lots of Captain Mad Nazi Wonka Hatter :\

Final thought: Better than most of the Harry Potter films.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 17, 2016

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Cocoanuts - 3.5/5
Animal Crackers - 4.5/5
Monkey Business - 3/5
Horse Feathers - 4.5/5
Duck Soup - 5/5
A Day at the Races - n/a

A new restored Blu-Ray set of the five Paramount Marx Brothers films came out last month. I hadn't seen them in a long time, so it was time for rewatches.

The Cocoanuts works fairly well as an early talkie. There's plenty of great gags and routines. This is the one with the "Why a duck" bit that's done entirely in one shot. There's some musical interludes and a love subplot that are padding, but overall a fun movie. This was probably my least favorite last time around because the quality was kind of bad - a lot of scenes only exist in poor quality, but they work a lot better in the restoration.

Animal Crackers blew me away this time around. I thought it was the least entertaining one, but I think it's now my favorite after Duck Soup and perhaps a little better than Horse Feathers. Lots of great comedy here, memorable songs, and even the love subplot isn't terrible.

Monkey Business doesn't really have any sort of plot, so it's a lot more loose. However, there's a great running gag about Maurice Chevelier that's funny. Also plenty of comedy to keep it worthwhile, plus Zeppo actually gets a lot to do for once.

Horse Feathers manages to be hilarious, have plenty of great one-liners, but also have some great songs. Just ignore the silly contrivance of Zeppo being Groucho's son.

Duck Soup is probably universally recognized as the best Marx Bros. film. It actually has a strong plot, but with a constant barrage of gags and great lines. You even get a classic sequence with Harpo and Chico bothering Edgar Kennedy. Whether they intended it or not, this is a perfect send-up of politics and war.

A Day at the Races is a boring slog. I made it about halfway before giving up. There's a handful of funny moments, but you can see and hear the invisible hand of MGM telling them to be funny their way. Which is basically "Don't be funny". I thought A Night at the Opera was fairly good despite being way too long, but I'm sure as hell not bothering with the rest of the MGM Marx movies if they're as unfunny as this.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Slowly going through my DVR and watching more TCM.

Saturday Night Fever - 3/5

drat, this is way darker of a movie than I expected. Easy to see how this made John Travolta a star. I really liked the colorful, yet grungy photography (reminded me of Scorpio Rising). Even the disco soundtrack is pretty good. I don't think there's a single likable character other than the ex-priest, though.

The Hunger - 4/5

I think I'll probably like this more with rewatches, but this is a stylish, expressionistic take on vampires. There's not much of a plot, but as much atmosphere as there is blood.

Play It Again, Sam - 4/5

I'd love to see this performed live since it's a lot of fun. Woody Allen isn't exactly surprising as a neurotic, but it's funny, clever, and doesn't overdo its main gimmick of occasional advice from Bogart.

The Endless Summer - 4/5

Fun documentary travelogue, but with a more "hip" tone. Endless beautiful shots of surfing, skies, and water. The narration can get a little silly at times, but this is one of the more relaxing films I've seen.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 23, 2016

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Invisible Man: any scene with Rains tends to be great, because of him, but half the scenes are about dumb cops or his colleagues. lovely hays code end too, or maybe the book ends that lame and abruptly too? I do like just how off the rails his crimes are though (pun intended)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Invisible Man actually predates the enforcement of the Hays Code by one year. It's the last of Universal's pre-Code monster films.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Arrival 8/10

Nocturnal Animals 9/10

Imperium 5/10

Sing Street 8/10

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Finished Neon Demon. Holy poo poo boring. Self-indulgent. Would have worked better as a 3 minute music video.

2/10 for Keanu Reeves

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Salesman - 4/5 [TCM DVR]
Zootopia - 4/5 (rewatch) [Blu-Ray]
Cast Away - 4/5 (rewatch) [HBO]
In a Lonely Place - 4/5 [Criterion Blu-Ray]
Mulholland Dr. 4.5/5 [Criterion Blu-Ray]
Roar - 1/5 [TCM DVR]
Daybreak Express - 4/5 [Filmstruck]
Simon of the Desert - 4/5 [Filmstruck]
Boxcar Bertha - 4/5 [TCM DVR]
Portrait of Jason - 4.5/5 [TCM DVR]
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - 4.5/5 [TCM DVR]
The Trip - 3.5/5 [TCM DVR]

I'm itching to see more Luis Bunuel (I've seen The Exterminating Angel, Viridiana, Discreet Charm, and That Obscure Object of Desire so far) and more Shirley Clarke.

Boxcar Bertha is WAY better than I expected. It's not as obviously Scorsese, until a big shootout. There's a shot of someone getting shot in the chest from the camera's POV as he is slammed against a wall. (Also has a great cameo by Scorsese)

Roar has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It should have been on MST3K. Absolutely incomprehensible. Though, it does have pretty cinematography.

Mulholland Dr. is like a fever dream when you're sick with the flu. I can't wait to watch again.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 6, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - 4.5/5 [TCM DVR]

Love this film. Not Taylor's absolute best, but certainly her sexiest role.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I was directed to this thread from the General Chat thread. I made a new years promise to myself last year to see more movies in the cinema now that I was done with school. I've seen 58 movies in the cinema this year so I'd call that a new years promise fulfilled. Anyway my point is that among the standard super hero movies and "comedies" from across the pond I also managed to see some domestic (Polish) films this year that actually blew me away and I wanted to share them with you guys in case you ever get the chance to see them (and I know some of them have already been or are going to be on the festival circuit soon). These four were all in my top ten list of films I've seen this year.

1. Wołyń/Volhynia (may also be sold as "Hatred" internationally, not 100% sure as I've seen contradictory info)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-nwg693WCE

Turn on subtitles on the video for English subs

A film about the massacres of Polish and Jewish peasants in the Volhynia region of modern day Ukraine by the ultranationalist UPA partisans led by Stepan Bandera and the counter-massacres carried out by the Polish AK partisans on Ukrainian peasants as revenge during World War 2. Ostensibly a cross cultural love story its really a film about the depravity and dehumanization that extreme nationalism leads men to. Beautifully shot and acted, it captures the idyllic and quaint village life of Poles and Ukrainians living together as neighbors before the war but also the undercurrent of tension between the sides and continues on through the outbreak of the war, then first the Soviet occupation, then the German occupation, then the rise of the Banderites and finally in the final 1/4 of the film, the grim realization of the massacres, spiraling into an orgy of inhumanity and evil. Shot in 5 languages (Polish, Ukrainian, Russian, German, Yiddish) using actors who speak those languages as their mother tongue and with great detail to the period it is incredibly difficult watching in the final 1/4. The violence is visceral and naturalistic and even for someone as jaded and cynical like me was completely oppressive at times. A rare film that made me authentically cry and didn't leave me for a week after viewing it. My second best movie of the year after Lennie Abrahamson's Room. 9/10

2. Plac Zabaw/Playground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6YnYusATjs

A film supposedly based on real events, though in a loose sense that these sorts of things happen rather than a specific event I think. Its a "day in the life of" film about three sixth graders on the last day of school. Gabrysia has a crush on Szymek and finally has gotten up the nerve to tell him (with the help of a friend) but things don't go according to plan and spiral out of control. A subdued, naturalistic portrait of life in small town Europe and the state of boredom and emotional numbness the young protagonists operate in until the final sequence when things once again spiral down into evil. The director comes from documentary film making and here too his camera work is very frank and straight forward, lots of following shots and medium shots, but it fits the low key tone perfectly. The final scene is all done in a single static long shot where no close detail is discernible and the dialogue is just a bit too low to hear our protagonists, but is nevertheless so impactful and frankly chilling that I had to look away and several people literally ran out of the screening room. 8/10

I'll post about the other two movies later but if you get a chance to see either one of these I really can't recommend them enough. Both poweful, interesting and devastating film making.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I heard a ton about Volhynia and I really hope it makes it here, either in theatres or on VOD.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah I"ve been looking forward to Volhynia as well, on the recommendation of an old classmate of mine from the Ukraine. Did you feel like the movie was angling for any commentary on the current situation in Ukraine, what with the increasing prominence of neo-Banderites in the government? What's the general perspective on that in Poland anyway?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah I"ve been looking forward to Volhynia as well, on the recommendation of an old classmate of mine from the Ukraine. Did you feel like the movie was angling for any commentary on the current situation in Ukraine, what with the increasing prominence of neo-Banderites in the government? What's the general perspective on that in Poland anyway?

I really don't think it was. Smarzowski set out to make an honest and fairly balanced historical document that despite Ukrainian reaction to it, is not political in nature other than to show what a destructive ideology nationalism can be. I didn't leave the movie hating Ukrainians for what they did to us (Poles), I left it hating nationalism for what it did to all of us (Ukrainians, Germans, Poles and Russians alike). As to the general perspective in Poland, its mixed. We have a nationalist government ourselves and its very much in their interest to drum up nationalist sentiment but on the other hand they hate Russia a lot more than they hate Ukraine and helping Ukraine is a way to punch Russia in the nose relatively safely. There's definitely been a cooling with Kiev since our liberal government got ousted last November though.

Back to my recommendations.

3. Jestem Mordercą/ I'm a Murderer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGttDCMpsiI

The only one of the four films I'm listing that could be called a mainstream movie. Also the only uncontroversial one. A pretty standard crime drama set in communist Poland where a promising detective gets handed a redball of a case. Some lunatic is murdering women, 14 so far including the niece of the First Secretary of the Polish United Worker's Party (the communist head of state). Their search is a failure at first so they begin to broaden their investigative methods including using a computer to sift through suspects for the first time and writing to the UK for a psychological profile of their killer. It works and they get their man and are rewarded with fame and favors from the communist government, except soon doubts begin to creep in as to whether the man they have in custody is really the killer. The movie however is extremely well acted, well directed and keeps a tense atmosphere throughout while also serving as a vehicle back in time to the People's Republic of Poland which is lovingly recreated. 7/10

4. Baby Bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNRprKjH6CY

I'm almost hesitant to recommend this "movie" because honestly, there's not much narrative to it. The paper thin plot is that 11 year old Mickey House hates his jug ears and has figured out that by selling his urine to his older classmates (for drug tests) he can save up enough money for plastic surgery to fix his problem. That's just a pretext for what the movie really is, which is chaos. Mickey is starting puberty and the chaos going on in his body and in his mind is mirrored in the turbulent nature of filmmaking on screen. Everything by turn excites him, disgusts him, annoys him or arouses him and he doesn't know how to deal. The movie moves from surreal to the imaginary to some semblance of reality at breakneck speed. It's loud, vulgar, gross, annoying, surprisingly sweet and adventurous at turns and frenetic throughout. Like a 85 minute Oedipal Die Antwoord video with more piss and jizz. It's definitely not for everyone but if you like experimental cinema, it might be worth a go. A movie worthy of mention for its uniqueness if nothing else. It won a Queer Lion at the Berlin Film Festival I think though I don't know why because I didn't pick up any queer subtext at all, but okay.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

A Pale Horse posted:

2. Plac Zabaw/Playground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6YnYusATjs

A film supposedly based on real events, though in a loose sense that these sorts of things happen rather than a specific event I think. Its a "day in the life of" film about three sixth graders on the last day of school. Gabrysia has a crush on Szymek and finally has gotten up the nerve to tell him (with the help of a friend) but things don't go according to plan and spiral out of control. A subdued, naturalistic portrait of life in small town Europe and the state of boredom and emotional numbness the young protagonists operate in until the final sequence when things once again spiral down into evil. The director comes from documentary film making and here too his camera work is very frank and straight forward, lots of following shots and medium shots, but it fits the low key tone perfectly. The final scene is all done in a single static long shot where no close detail is discernible and the dialogue is just a bit too low to hear our protagonists, but is nevertheless so impactful and frankly chilling that I had to look away and several people literally ran out of the screening room. 8/10

This looks amazing, when did it come out? I hope it'll be possible to see over here.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I want to watch every single one of those movies. I really hope there's some way I'll get to see them here in the US.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Egbert Souse posted:

Mulholland Dr. is like a fever dream when you're sick with the flu. I can't wait to watch again.

I'm jealous of your first viewing.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This looks amazing, when did it come out? I hope it'll be possible to see over here.

Its still in theaters here in Poland and it played at Fantastic Fest in the U.S. in September as well as the London Film Festival in the UK in October so there's at least an English subtitle version out there. You'll probably have to wait for VOD/DVD to see it though unless it does more festivals.

Wolyn is also still in theaters and hasn't done a festival circuit yet so it may next year.

Baby Bump is a movie from June and is out on DVD and available on Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr and Amazon.de with English/German dubbing or subtitles. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Bump/dp/B01H7D9WLK?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's also available from this Polish VOD site: http://www.cineman.pl/filmy/Filmy,Dramat/Baby-Bump-HD- It says there are subtitles, but not which language so I can't guarantee there are english ones

edit; I just checked and its also available on regular old Amazon.com

A Pale Horse fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 8, 2016

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Man Who Came to Dinner - 4/5 [TCM]
Little Caesar - 4/5 [TCM DVR]
I Never Sang For My Father - 5/5 [TCM]
Ride Him, Cowboy - 3/5 [TCM DVR]
Night Moves (1975) - 5/5 [TCM DVR]
Marley - 4/5 [HDNET]
Shock Corridor - 4/5 [Filmstruck]
Twin Peaks (Pilot) - 3.5/5 [Netflix]
Monterey Pop - 4/5 [Filmstruck]

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 11, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Why Him -1000000/10

Do NOT see this movie, free or not.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

Why Him -1000000/10

Do NOT see this movie, free or not.

I would say I was the tiniest bit surprised about this, but that would be a lie.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story I feel like I just watched John Wick again. A serviceable movie with some good moments, but on the whole completely forgettable. It's most certainly not the cultural juggernaut of the original trilogy or perhaps even the prequels (you know you remember how cheesy bad they were, come on). I hate the constant fanservice and very formulaic writing. This is most definitely a made by-committee Disney picture. After the movie, I asked myself a question: do I blindly hate movies that are set in the same "cinematic universe" as ones that I cherish? No, because Mad Max: Fury Road is one of my all time favorite films, so the problem must be elsewhere. Perhaps I just have franchise fatigue. I think really I'm just sad we won't see something quite like the original 3 movies ever again.

3/5, should have seen Arrival instead :doh:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story I feel like I just watched John Wick again. A serviceable movie with some good moments, but on the whole completely forgettable. It's most certainly not the cultural juggernaut of the original trilogy or perhaps even the prequels (you know you remember how cheesy bad they were, come on). I hate the constant fanservice and very formulaic writing. This is most definitely a made by-committee Disney picture. After the movie, I asked myself a question: do I blindly hate movies that are set in the same "cinematic universe" as ones that I cherish? No, because Mad Max: Fury Road is one of my all time favorite films, so the problem must be elsewhere. Perhaps I just have franchise fatigue. I think really I'm just sad we won't see something quite like the original 3 movies ever again.

3/5, should have seen Arrival instead :doh:

Apparently there were reshoots and changes made to the movie over the summer to lighten the tone, some are saying that it results in some major inconsistencies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rogue One - 55/100

Movie has problems.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Arrival Very nice, smart film. Like watching a long episode of Star Trek TNG in a theater. Satisfyingly intelligent, perfect length, good actors. Not much to add other than that. 5/5

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

dirksteadfast posted:

Mascots 2.5/5

I like Christopher Guest movies, sort of. I know the whole style isn't supposed to be laugh-out-loud funny as much as it is just inwardly amusing. This one is sort of par for the course, but I don't know why it doesn't work as well here. Maybe the whole mascot competition thing is too esoteric to really grasp. Maybe it's because the last third of the movie stops all the fun character moments in favor of just outright showing you the competition. Just didn't do it for me in the end.

I love Guest and his ensemble to pieces but Mascots didn't do it for me either. It's not terrible, it just felt like a half-hearted retread of Best In Show.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

Arrival Very nice, smart film. Like watching a long episode of Star Trek TNG in a theater. Satisfyingly intelligent, perfect length, good actors. Not much to add other than that. 5/5

Woof, that's the worst compliment i've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
TNG is good though

• Locked thread