Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

It's also worth mentioning that 30k tournaments do not exist. Events tend to be casual; they're more about just getting some games in and showing off models, usually with a narrative element.
There's no downside here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Also worth looking in to is the Combat Patrol game mode. Smaller games with fixed armies based on the Combat Patrol boxes, each faction has at least one (except Knights and Chaos Knights). The rules for each CP army are free on the website; you might have enough old models laying around to make one!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/29/combat-patrol-rules-and-missions-everything-you-need-to-play-this-fresh-new-mode/

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
combat patrols at least seem like the cheapest option to start an army too

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Tnuctip posted:

Siiiiiigh so I’m thinking about getting back in to 40k after a 20 year hiatus. My little space marine army from the 3rd edition is probably what I’ll start with because I already have it.

Rules are at 10th edition now I gather, first thing I need is to get the main rule book and start reading. Does it make sense to get a starter pack or something (do those even come with a hardcover manual?), or should I just by the manual and start reading? I very much would like a hardcover version though, if that makes a difference.

I gotta say ita genuinely crazy how many people like me are getting back into the game after 3rd specifically, welcome!

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Thanks all. I was never great at painting or modding, so I literally give zero fucks about people looking down at my old marines. I was and still am very very fond of my big chunky pewter dreadnaught, hopefully those weren’t nerfed, though I thought I read the newer dreadnaughts are longer limbed and more mecha-y than Mech.

I’ll start looking at leviathan starter pack vs patrols, see what catches my eye.

Pungent Mammy
Jul 29, 2003

The pig is a huge fat pig.
Fallen Rib

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say ita genuinely crazy how many people like me are getting back into the game after 3rd specifically, welcome!

I also picked the habit back up mid-9th edition after not playing since 3rd edition. I'm up to three 2000+ point armies now. I even bought back my Tau army that I sold to my friend's brother right before I left for college. It's a time and money sink but at least I have more money now than 20 years ago.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Tnuctip posted:

Thanks all. I was never great at painting or modding, so I literally give zero fucks about people looking down at my old marines. I was and still am very very fond of my big chunky pewter dreadnaught, hopefully those weren’t nerfed, though I thought I read the newer dreadnaughts are longer limbed and more mecha-y than Mech.

I’ll start looking at leviathan starter pack vs patrols, see what catches my eye.

As an FYI Leviathan contains all the models in both the Space Marines and Tyranid combat patrols, and then some. Quite a bit more in fact. The Space Marines combat patrol has 5 Terminators, 1 Terminator Captain, 5 flamethrower guys, and 1 Librarian for a total of 12 models for 160 usd MSRP. Leviathan has all that, plus an Apothecary, a Lieutenant, 5 more flamethrower guys, 5 sternguard veterans, and a Dread. All the combat patrols now have a MSRP of 160. So if you were to pick up two combat patrols you would be at 320 MSRP or 272 if you found it at a discount. The high end price for Leviathan right now, that I have seen is 275. So for roughly the same amount you would get a lot more models, the hardcover rulebook, the cards and accessories as well.

If you like Space Marines, the combined cost of the hardcover rulebook (65 MSRP) plus the Combat Patrol (160) would be 225, which you can pick up the Leviathan box for and get more space marines, and another army.

Another option would be looking at eBay for half box deals; like just the sprues.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Lostconfused posted:

There's no downside here.

The main downside is that people actively get mad at you for trying to win, which seems like the opposite point of a game to me, personally.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Tnuctip posted:

If another disrespects your old models, just drop the dread on their foot. That'll inspire respect immediately.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

They probably get the most use as the easiest way for Ursula to drop the free stratagem on someone.

Otherwise maybe you can use the mortars to finish off whatever is left after the Hellhound worked it over.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think you are correct that they are very situational, but can be employed effectively. Parking one on the flank of a squad could give some oomph. For example maybe you want a Dkok squad to sit on an objective because of their medpack, then you could place the heavy weapons squad to the flank to add firepower and overwatch ability to really shore up the objective. The heavy weapons teams do not make much sense outside of a defensive situation though; moving them make it really unlikely for them to hit, and they don't have a ton of staying power, so it doesn't make a ton of sense to take them and to try and advance with them.

They are only 60 points, so it won't be a huge investment to take one though. I also have a ton of heavy weapons teams myself, but with the 9th codex and this one most of the flavored IG squads cannot take the heavy weapons teams so I am not sure what to do with them. I am very reluctant to take a bunch of Dkok squads and run them as Dkok, and then running a squad of Dkok models with a heavy weapons team under the "Infantry Squad" unit choice because it might be very, very confusing.

On the other hand a scout sentinel is 60 points, has 7 wounds instead of 6, has better armor save, and also has better BS. The armored sentinel is 10 points more at 70 point and has even better armor. I feel like either of the sentinels could achieve more in terms of area defense/denial/versatility, but the trade-off would be one lascannon shot vs three.

Thanks for the thoughts, I think I'll give them a try. Triple Las seems to be the way to go for direct fire, but I wish I could get some use from all these Vostroyan heavy bolters. I have like 5 or something, but if I'm paying 60pts no matter what I may as well take the best gun.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Throw me into the 3rd edition player coming back recently because now I can actually afford to play this game as an adult crowd. The leviathan box is a good buy, even if you want to only play space marines it’s nice to have a spare army around to wrangle friends into the game. I also think the Blood Angel combat patrol includes a solid assortment of generic space marines for any chapter.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I went from a 20yr break after 3rd ed to just going to AoS instead (the models are very cool and a little cheaper, always worth considering) mostly cause a friend guilt tripped me into it. Maybe one day I’ll get motivated enough to try and properly update my old 1500pts of Eldar and 2k of Orkz but my terrible paint jobs, my looted basilisk no longer being legal and the prospect of rebasing, resizing and having to find extra models for unit legality on a bunch of things (having only 7 dire avengers & 9 striking scorpions sucks and idk what to do about my 4 tiny trukks) has left me not wanting to put the effort in just yet, or worse wanting to just bin them all and start from the bottom which is a terrible idea for my wallet.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I just got my Necrons patrol box (happy birthday to me!) and is it, in fact, a push fit build as it appears to be?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Necrons were the launch army for 9th edition weren't they? Would make sense that they would have pegs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure the Patrol box for Necrons is parts of the 9th ed starter box yeah.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

rantmo posted:

I just got my Necrons patrol box (happy birthday to me!) and is it, in fact, a push fit build as it appears to be?

Some of the combat patrol boxes are made up of push fit/quick build halves of previous starter sets. The Sisters of Battle is also like that, as will the new space marine and tyranid combat patrol boxes

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd also add that Horus Heresy is a lot more permanent or static in terms of rules. There have been no game-wide points rebalances, sweeping meta changes, deck replacements, or anything that moves at the pace of a living supported tournament game.

It feels more like the game from 20 years ago, but with some substantial improvements.

Also your pewter dreadnaught is still welcome there (but not its assault cannon.)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The main issue with 30k is that it focuses on the most boring faction (Space Marines) and on the most boring time period (Horus Heresy)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

True, but you could homebrew some rules by using an army codexfrom 7th or whatever, at least I've heard that suggested.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Arghhh what’s wrong with assault cannons now?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Honestly that's the reason why I haven't rushed to buy the 2nd edition heresy box by now. I've started going through the novels in hopes of finding something there to interest me, but so far all it did is make me hate the space marines even more.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Which books have you read?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure the Patrol box for Necrons is parts of the 9th ed starter box yeah.

Super Waffle posted:

Some of the combat patrol boxes are made up of push fit/quick build halves of previous starter sets. The Sisters of Battle is also like that, as will the new space marine and tyranid combat patrol boxes

Oh, that makes a lot of sense, I hadn't considered that. Thanks!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Your pewter dreadnought should still be legal in 40K, it’s just ‘Venerable’ now. Ditto all of your tactical marines. Basically all of your existing stuff should be legal in its own right or been replaced by a Primaris equivalent you can use it as with no difficulty (assault squads or bike squads for instance).

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 18, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The big lifehack is that all the veteran marines are consolidated into one profile now too, so you can very cleanly say "these guys are veterans from centuries (editions) ago, so they're actually Sternguard or Vanguard Veterans"

If you play BA your pewter dread can last a little longer in the form of a Death Company Dreadnought, although it remains to be seen if they will be phased out or not.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Tnuctip posted:

Arghhh what’s wrong with assault cannons now?

Assault cannons were still in beta when the Heresy broke out, so they're only available to a handful of units.

Boxnauts don't have the option to take them.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I liked the old Dreads that just had six bolters slapped together

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Demilich posted:

Which books have you read?

Going in order, I'm up to Fulgrim now, which might be the worst one so far.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
If they announce Warhammer 40Quest I sure hope it's not crazy expensive or insanely limited production. For my wallet's sake. But that enslaver model definitely seems like a perfect fit for a game like that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think that's just called Blackstone Fortress

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It is both.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I am a proud owner of this set and I found it at MSRP which is great, sadly I'll never buy the expansions but this game has far far exceeded my expectations and my board game group love it, If they announce a necromunda warhammer quest I will cream both my pants off and buy it day one and make sure to never miss any expansions.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Al-Saqr spend more on pants

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

No, spend more on shorts. Because they're comfy and easy to wear.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You can never have too many paints

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Going to a tournament today, it’s the first time I’ve played in months, with a stormlqnce wolf list I started working on before the space marine codex came out. I’m sure it’ll be terrible since I also added a bunch of wulfen converted from possessed that I finished last night, and I’ve never actually even used that unit before, but for 80 points they seem super thrifty and chunky (T5, 4+, 4++, 6+++ and 2 wounds) so I’m just going to throw them up the board to screen for my thunderbikes and fight on death if they get charged. Mostly just hoping to finish my games on time.

a fatguy baldspot fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 18, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Al-Saqr spend more on pants

No!

Never!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Lostconfused posted:

Going in order, I'm up to Fulgrim now, which might be the worst one so far.

Oof. Graham McNeill strikes again. I think you can skip most of that book except for two scenes, Ferrus' death and the events of La Fenice.
Honestly, I'd jump around to stuff that sounds more interesting.

I'm trying to put all recommendations in reading order, and I'm also including short stories along with full novels. Please note: I mainly do audiobooks for 40k. I'll include an * for things I haven't listened to/read.

Word Bearers/World Eaters with some Ultramarines: Angron: Slave of Nuceria, After Desh'ea, The First Heretic, Aurelian, Know No Fear, Lord of the Red Sands, The Butcher's Nails, Betrayer, The Eightfold Path.
Kharn: Eater of Worlds takes place after the Siege, and Chosen of Khorne is set far past the Heresy.

White Scars:
The Primarchs: Jaghatai Khan, Brotherhood of the Storm, Scars, Brotherhood of the Moon, The Path of Heaven, Restorer, The Siege of Terra VI: Warhawk

Black Templars:
Helsreach, The Glorious Tomb

Death Guard:
The Buried Dagger, The Lords of Silence

Siege of Terra is honestly pretty great (much better than the massive Horus Heresy series)... sans Mortis which was pretty boring tbh (i've listened to that book twice and still can't remember anything about it). You get lots of Imperial Fist/Dorn & Blood Angels action.

Primarch focused books:
Angron: Slave of Nuceria (already mentioned)
Fulgrim: The Palatine Phoenix is better than the first Fulgrim book.
Alpharius: Head of the Hydra is fun. I'd say follow it up with Harrowmaster to see how shattered the Legion is in 40k.
Perturabo: The Hammer of Olympia is the only Iron Warriors book I'll recommend. Stone and Iron & Iron Fire are fun little audiobooks though

Emperor's Children: The Fabius Bile trilogy* is always recommended, as is Renegades: Lord of Excess*

Night Lords:
Lord of the Night*, Shadow Knight*, Soul Hunter, Throne of Lies, Blood Reaver, The Core*, Void Stalker

Emperor, Custodes, with a smattering of Blood Angels:
The Master of Mankind
Want more Custodes stuff? Valdor Birth of the Imperium is about the deposing of the Thunder Warriors

Iron Hands:
Gorgon of Medusa is the primarch book. The Black Library really dropped the ball on fleshing out Ferrus and made him a tactical dumbass on Istvan. This book came late to the game but it tries to build up some personality fur the Gorgon.
Keys of Hel/Shattered Legions, Sons of the Selena. There's also Meduson: The Ultimate Edition*

Thousand Sons:
Probably the best breakdown of books I've seen

There's great xenos books too:
Necrons:
The Infinite and the Divine, The Twice Dead King (Ruin, then Reign), Severed*, War in the Museum*

Orks:
Brutal Kunnin, Warboss, Da Big Dakka, Ghazgkull Thraka, Prophet of the Waagh*, Klaw of Mork*

Aeldari:
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm sure I'm missing stuff.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I am on record as a member of the Graham McNeill Hater Society, got my ten year chip and everything, but I liked Fulgrim - certainly more than any of his other books. The book is bloated,
meandering, and melodramatic, but it fits the character of the legion to a T, and the slower burn makes Fulgrim’s gradual descent into corruption and insanity seem earned (as opposed to false gods, which corrupts its cast so quickly it appears to happen in between chapters, and in which “corruption” is portrayed as “being an aggro dickhead to your friends”). Fulgrim certainly isn’t the worst of the starting five books; galaxy in flames is almost unreadable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I can't hate McNeill too much after reading some of his short stories in the past, they were pretty fun in many cases.
Now Gav Thorpe otoh I can't stand I will forever resent for holding back on Eldar books out of petty spite. Hopefully Mike Brooks success with writing Dark Eldar will change that at some point.