Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

The Magi-Nation Kickstarter for the previously unreleased Traitor's Reach expansion is not only live, but also fully funded already. There's a number of buy-in tiers, with what looks to be the entire set of Traitor's Reach (along with a bunch of decks made with older cards) for $300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

Playing any card face down as a land has to be one of my least favorite mechanics. Lots of players learning a game with it hate it too, because they don't want to lose a card forever.

I would rather have to decide which card I lose for the rest of the game as a land rather than having multiple "dead" draws several turns in a row, myself. It sucks when you lose a game just because you drew land for several turns in a row and just couldn't do anything while your opponent plays their spells.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I guess the issue is that if it’s the very first decision you have to make in a new game you aren’t familiar with, “which of these do you want to throw away forever” is pretty dramatic. It’s much easier if one or more is obviously out of reach, which is how most scripted tutorials do it.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

LifeLynx posted:

Playing any card face down as a land has to be one of my least favorite mechanics. Lots of players learning a game with it hate it too, because they don't want to lose a card forever.

OG VS System had a good philosophy for this: You ideally wanted to lay Location and Plot Twist cards in the resource/land row because they could be played from that row. Eventually keywords came along that would allow characters and equipment cards to do that as well. It led to some pretty sick decks i.e. Sentinels, Green Lantern Willpower, etc. If you were forced to play characters/equipment as resources, then you either got burned by card draw or needed to go back to the drawing board.

I guess I don't have a point directly in response to what you said. I just miss the old VS System :(

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

hyphz posted:

I guess the issue is that if it’s the very first decision you have to make in a new game you aren’t familiar with, “which of these do you want to throw away forever” is pretty dramatic. It’s much easier if one or more is obviously out of reach, which is how most scripted tutorials do it.

That's exactly it. I had a strong reaction to Flesh and Blood's resource system too, but it turns out it works there. Red versions of cards have the strongest effect and are meant to be played, blues usually are meant for pitching and show you that by being the same card but weaker. Yellows are flexible but also tend to be the unique cards that don't appear in other colors. Pitched cards go on the bottom of your deck, so they aren't lost forever unless you won or lost really fast.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
The FFTCG is pretty good about this too. You can pitch cards for temporary energy, in addition to tapping Support cards. The discarded cards go to the discard pile, but there's plenty of discard interaction built into the game with the assumption that you're throwing cards away to play other cards. Also, you're drawing two cards per turn, with the same thing in mind.

There's a lot of ways to solve the old problem baked into the cake of MTG: that getting hosed on lands is just part of the game. MTG has to live with it, but newer games have found better ways to prevent games being duds because of the random chance of land draws.

Speaking of which, my FFTCG cards came in a few days ago. I didn't pull Locke and Celes, but I did get Locke by himself and he's dope as hell. I'm very happy with the 2024 box. I got a few repeats from the 2022 box, but I'd say 95% of the cards were new to me. Between this and the six precons I got, I feel like I can brew up at least a few decent decks.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
skimming through the thread and unearthed some nice, but vague memories of playing in MLB Showdown leagues as a kid

i think i had (still have i guess, somewhere in my parents' house) every card they released

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

mikeycp posted:

skimming through the thread and unearthed some nice, but vague memories of playing in MLB Showdown leagues as a kid

i think i had (still have i guess, somewhere in my parents' house) every card they released

It was such a smooth game dude it worked so well. Wish it existed in the time of neoprene playmats

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
and it made baseball cards like, actually interesting to own

what a great and underappreciated idea

i think i also had a few signed cards. i at least had a signed jeff kent

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

I feel it's one of the best mechanics for games like that, but I'd love a game that combined that with cards designated to be resources too. So you can still focus on that, or have cards benefit that way, similar to lands, but without drawing lands when you need gas or vice versa.

Have any games done that? I know L5R had provinces but that wasn't quite the same system, and I'm not familiar enough with Duel Masters to know if they ever had any cards that do stuff when used as resource. I know Eternal (digital) has stuff that is a "land" when drawn early, or a non-land later on, or that does effects and so on, but not quite the same as what I have in mind.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think the World of Warcraft card game did that, with a "any card is a resource" mechanic and specific quest cards that you played in the resource pool as well that could trigger effects.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Serperoth posted:

I feel it's one of the best mechanics for games like that, but I'd love a game that combined that with cards designated to be resources too. So you can still focus on that, or have cards benefit that way, similar to lands, but without drawing lands when you need gas or vice versa.

Have any games done that? I know L5R had provinces but that wasn't quite the same system, and I'm not familiar enough with Duel Masters to know if they ever had any cards that do stuff when used as resource. I know Eternal (digital) has stuff that is a "land" when drawn early, or a non-land later on, or that does effects and so on, but not quite the same as what I have in mind.
It's a different design space since it's a coop game but marvel champions does something like this. Every card gives you at least 1 resource, but dedicated resource cards give you 2, or enhance the card you play with them

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Randalor posted:

I think the World of Warcraft card game did that, with a "any card is a resource" mechanic and specific quest cards that you played in the resource pool as well that could trigger effects.

It's a funny one, I actively liked the original WoW card game a fair bit. Never did anything beyond play with friends with some starter decks back when I still worked at a place that sold them, however I do remember thinking it was a solid game.

I do really miss VS System though, I play the PSP version of Marvel VS every now and then as a sleep aid, usually running some lovely FF deck against the stupid AI with it's insane decks.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Randalor posted:

It did; Quest cards would function the same in terms of resources, but had a condition you had to meet (most of the time paying an amount of resources, sometimes it was conditional or a condition would reduce the cost), and a reward for completing the quest. Then you would turn the Quest face down and it was just a resource, but yes, you could also put another, non-quest card face down to be a resource.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Just got my FFTCG 2024 box and I love the art on some of the cards. Oh and the game sounds interesting too, I should learn how to play it.

Sadly there's only like 2 stores in a 50 mile radius that even stock the cards

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Hey all. I did some searching and couldn't find any results elsewhere so forgive me if I'm stupid as gently caress and missed a thread somewhere.

Anybody into the 2020 Digimon card game? I really like the art in this game and the reading I've done online suggests that it's reasonably cheap to get into. I know there's no online simulator, but I've located a playgroup within driving distance. I just want to find some rules/metagame/learning/deckbuilding resources. Has anybody done a big effort/infopost about this game on this forum?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Sade posted:

Hey all. I did some searching and couldn't find any results elsewhere so forgive me if I'm stupid as gently caress and missed a thread somewhere.

Anybody into the 2020 Digimon card game? I really like the art in this game and the reading I've done online suggests that it's reasonably cheap to get into. I know there's no online simulator, but I've located a playgroup within driving distance. I just want to find some rules/metagame/learning/deckbuilding resources. Has anybody done a big effort/infopost about this game on this forum?

because you can never organize things with these forums, the main thread for the digimon tcg is in ADTRW

this doesn't apply to one piece though with its respective threads, maybe there should be a thread here for bandai card games since they're having kind of a moment with the gradual collapse of mtg

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Ah poo poo, I didn't even think to check the anime subforum. Thanks a bunch.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

TheHoosier posted:

Just got my FFTCG 2024 box and I love the art on some of the cards. Oh and the game sounds interesting too, I should learn how to play it.

Sadly there's only like 2 stores in a 50 mile radius that even stock the cards

Kyrosiris did a good effortpost about it a while back. It's right over here if you want a rules primer. I got the gist of the game from that post and picked up some cards shortly after.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
ive been thinking about starting an fftcg thread but I don’t have any interest in putting in any effort at all

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sade posted:

theres a local gaming discord with people complaining about not being able to play digimon because one store has the entire scene and they’re all very mean

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Sade posted:

There is a moderately popular unofficial online multiplayer online simulator called Project Drasil. Most people still prefer webcam though, but you're going to want a pretty decent one as Digimon tcg takes up a fair bit more space than most other tcgs.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Stores around here aren't even ordering Star Wars Unlimited. I don't think that game's going to last.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

LifeLynx posted:

Stores around here aren't even ordering Star Wars Unlimited. I don't think that game's going to last.

I will take that wager in a heartbeat.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Yeah, with One Piece and Lorcana sucking up the non-Big Three oxygen, that seems likely. Regardless of if it's better than Lorcana, which I am starting to come around to the more I see of it.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

CitizenKeen posted:

I will take that wager in a heartbeat.

Same, it's huge around here in kc. Had a blast playing at home over the weekend and a bunch of stores are running weeklies this week already. Game is good.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
yeah the game seems great but gently caress i hate the art style. prereleases here were popping off

i think we're in the renaissance man theres room for everyone now as long as people keep bailing on magic

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I'm glad people are dumping magic, but now that I've seen the lcg light I don't know that I can go back to ccgs besides buying packs purely for the brain chemical hit

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Things just remain weird with the combo of residual financial related bullshit from the COVID collectables bubble, oversaturation of games, and the mixture of both growth of tabletop players overall but splintering of playerbases within games. I like a variety of alternative stuff but don't have delusions about any of it overthrowing anything else. My main thing is just absolving myself of any notion of investment and worry about longevity and will just play what's fun until it ceases to be fun, or ceases to exist. That's really all you can do at this point in time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That's all that should be done.

I wish every "I am using cardboard as an investment vehicle" a very "I hope your cardboard loses 100% of its value and you step on a lego"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was browsing in my LGS when they made the announcement that the One Piece prerelease was sold out at 16 entries for the 5th straight event. Then apologized profusely to the people that couldn't get in and that they were begging Bandai to up their allotment of kits.

So I guess that's doing really well?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
yeah i mean niches seem to be forming around me at least

lorcana is huge and i dont see that slowing down unless they make it overcomplicated, supply issues have been fixed BUT its clearly everyone's secondary game.

theres always been an intense sweaty mtg scene around here and the friday night events do seem to be dwindling. i dont play but most of the nights i can make it over to the game store for whatever are magic nights and ive noticed a big decrease in attendance

flesh and blood is huge but only played at two shops. but its like 40 people every night.

there seems to be people dedicated to every bandai card game available, and also some smaller japanes games ive never heard of. also universus has a scene

theres 5 people other than me who keep going around to different shops and buying FFTCG but weve never run into eachother

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I was browsing in my LGS when they made the announcement that the One Piece prerelease was sold out at 16 entries for the 5th straight event. Then apologized profusely to the people that couldn't get in and that they were begging Bandai to up their allotment of kits.

So I guess that's doing really well?

The game plays so similarly to fftcg that I’m willing to hang out with Luffy over King Ranperre and Shantotto.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Australia isn't getting Lorcana for several sets so the hype for it is non-existent here. Star Wars Unlimited did get a bunch of release events in Sydney at least though, but I didn't check it out myself.

The new Dragon Ball tcg is selling gangbusters though. My local and several around it are completely sold out. A Bandai Japan rep in a small Discord I run for Battle Spirits Saga mentioned it had an extremely successful launch in Japan as well, but part of that was a big scalper problem there.

Battle Spirits Saga on a slightly tangential note seems to be having a bit of a second wind. My local was pretty openly "I'm not supporting past set 3" but somehow found the resolve to order set 4 and has sold most of it. It's still a small game, but the stores that have been supporting it here have either been sold out or close to it, and Bandai have been really proactive about addressing issues people have had with the game. Gives me hope that people will give it a second chance despite its lack of popular attached IP (there are Evangelion, Gundam, Tamagotchi, Game Grumps and Pro ZD collab cards though) because the game itself is really good and well balanced right now.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Personally I'm sad Gate Ruler seems doa. The art was loving beautiful and the game seemed decent as well.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

mikeycp posted:

Personally I'm sad Gate Ruler seems doa. The art was loving beautiful and the game seemed decent as well.

Every year is a new chance for a new failure of a CCG like Guardians.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

John Romero posted:

ive been thinking about starting an fftcg thread but I don’t have any interest in putting in any effort at all

Eh. Feel free to use this one for FFTCG stuff. Though, I wouldn't mind if someone started a dedicated one too. The game seems to have a big enough base to float a thread (but it's hard to tell in my particular corner of the US). Either way is fine by me, and as someone new to the game I'm eager to hear more thoughts on it. I might post a couple deck designs on here to see what the more experienced players think.

mikeycp posted:

I'm glad people are dumping magic, but now that I've seen the lcg light I don't know that I can go back to ccgs besides buying packs purely for the brain chemical hit

Yeah, I hear this. I got back into MTG by way of Commander in 2016, but ironically since WotC/Hasbro has been supporting the format more, they've turned it into a loving rat race like type II and extended were back when I quit the first time, back in 2001. I still play Commander with my buddies, but I'm not buying new product. There's too much to keep up with, too much of it is corner-case, and the cross-branded IP poo poo makes me irrationally annoyed. I'm much happier buying limited amounts of better CCGs and making decks tuned to play against each other like I've done for Anachronism, 7th Sea, and FFTCG. Between those and VTES, I have more than enough CCG fixes without having to crack packs more than a few times a year.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah wizards has always been gross but the last decade or so they've gotten insanely gross.

Pokemon though I'll open packs just for the art and dopamine. No interest in playing it with people

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Pokémon at least tells you when something isn’t necessary to buy. like the latest set is only available in special packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah. But also mostly I just don't want to interact with a lot of the people who play comp pktcg. Game is fun. People less.