Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

21st August, England play Sri Lanka in Manchester. If he's going to go out, I think he'd want to go out there

I've got tickets to the oval test so I hope not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

webmeister posted:

Wait, THE HUNDRED still exists?!

It will continue until some genius stumbles upon THE FIFTY.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

webmeister posted:

Wait, THE HUNDRED still exists?!

The ECB are trying to sell their stake to investors to raise money, which is the kind of stunning business idea no-one has thought of before because [checks notes] it's loving stupid.

They're morons who only seem to care about money and seem to consider the fact that Test Cricket is the most popular form of the game an ongoing embarrassment.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Lords it is then

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Baz(ball) has killed Test Cricket.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm confused, aren't England playing a Test against Zimbabwe before then (28th-31st May)? Or is Jimmy confirmed not to be playing in that one anyway?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

no games against Zimbabwe are on the schedule, and England are playing Pakistan in T20 warm-ups on the 28th & 30th May before flying out to the Caribbean

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Oh I've been reading it wrong, the Zimbabwe game is 2025.

E: hah, for some reason it's there at the top of the list of Future Series on Cricinfo even though it's in 2025 and all the ones after are in 2024.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 11, 2024

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
These AI captions are getting a bit weird

(mainly posted because of that perfect, crying face)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

Baz(ball) has killed Test Cricket.

Still an indictment on the state of County Championship bowling that someone my age has to be told to retire so they can justify throwing another hapless trundler to the wolves.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

County Championship bowlers get to bowl in April/May and then September, they're doing their best!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Speaking of, Ben Stokes bowled 17 overs for Durham today and took 2/70 while Jofra Archer played the final day of a first class second XI game and took 1/11 in six overs

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I found it funny that there was an article that listed Brydon Carse as a possible call-up to replace Jimmy, but felt the need to point out his form has been poor.

"Poor" being a very kind word to describe the shite he's been serving up so far this season.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I bought my flight, hotel, and tickets to the cricket matches in Barbados in the first week of June. I have never seen cricket and somewhat understand 6 balls make 1 over, 20 overs a side. What do I need to know about cricket to enjoy watching cricket?

I'm a very solid drinker, if that helps.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Coco13 posted:

I bought my flight, hotel, and tickets to the cricket matches in Barbados in the first week of June. I have never seen cricket and somewhat understand 6 balls make 1 over, 20 overs a side. What do I need to know about cricket to enjoy watching cricket?

Drink, enjoy when the ball goes over the fence, drink, laugh when a fielder drops the ball, (https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/disappointed-muhammad-sarim-akhtar), drink!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Apparently Modi/BCCI wanted India to wear orange jerseys when they played Pakistan to further rile things up but the team said no, in part because they would "look too much like Holland" and because it was "not the right time."

Other fun facts from the article about India in Wisden's is that the BCCI told the commenators not to show them on the screen once it was clear Australia was going to chase down the total in the final and that Modi went into the dressing room after with a tv crew to record him consoling the players.

Article is here
https://archive.org/details/wisden-almanac-2024-modi-operandi-the-politicisation-of-indian-cricket_202405/page/n5/mode/2up

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Any facts, no matter how bizarre or extreme about Modi or the BCCIs pettiness and/or insanity arenot only true, but likely underplayed.
Its like when Langer chucked his tanty about the TVscreens at a gtound in Dhaka showing Bangladeshi highlights. But imagine that pettiness in the hands of one of the worlds most powerful men

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Coco13 posted:

This is the classic introduction. It applies to Test and first class cricket, where each team can bat twice (T20 each team bats for 20 overs or until all their batsmen are out) but otherwise it applies.

quote:

The Rules of Cricket

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have got out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

More seriously, this looks like a decent intro. Read this then try to watch a game or two to see how those rules are applied.

https://www.hunterandbligh.com.au/entertainment/cricket-for-dummies/

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 18, 2024

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
over in the County Division 2 binmen's league Leicestershire won the toss and put Gloucestershire in, then watched them run up 316/0 lol

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Fraud Stokes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man this RCB vs CSK match looks so different after the rain, the balls is absolutely spinning everywhere.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Patidar takes Faf wicket

edit: first ball out ! wow

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 18, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

holy poo poo that catch by faf

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo what a catch by Faf

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

This is going to the death, what a exciting game, usually this important games are a wash.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Very close. Last over to qualify for playoffs is thrilling

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

Very close. Last over to qualify for playoffs is thrilling

ya they got it with that dot ball unless extra

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RCB fuckin winning 6 matches in a row after only winning 1 at the start of the season

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
God drat that was great

And man, RCB making it to playoffs after a disastrous start at the start of the season

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

God drat that was great

And man, RCB making it to playoffs after a disastrous start at the start of the season

ya they just had 1 pt after 7 games lol. They had 1% chance of making playoffs.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Stokes with a casual 5/98 off 20 overs. I still wouldn't use him to do a full seamer's workload in a test, but having him come in for a three or four over spell in a session like you would use someone with rocket speed like a Wood or Archer might be a better role. He's never going to bowl 13 or 14 overs on the bounce like he did at Headingley in 2019

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
New season of The Test doco coming out soon apparently:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/test-documentary-season-3-pat-cummins-role-controversial-jonny-bairstow-stumping-ashes-2023-1434410

Interesting to see that it was Cummins who noticed Bairstow kept wandering out of his crease and told Carey to have a shot. Sucks to see the impact it had on Carey’s mental health, but I think we could all kind of see it on the field?

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Apparently the IPL is STILL GOING

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Airstream Driver posted:

Apparently the IPL is STILL GOING

And will be until Sunday

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

webmeister posted:

New season of The Test doco coming out soon apparently:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/test-documentary-season-3-pat-cummins-role-controversial-jonny-bairstow-stumping-ashes-2023-1434410

Interesting to see that it was Cummins who noticed Bairstow kept wandering out of his crease and told Carey to have a shot. Sucks to see the impact it had on Carey’s mental health, but I think we could all kind of see it on the field?

I'm all for anything that makes YJB look even more of a total prick

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

I'm Crap posted:

over in the County Division 2 binmen's league Leicestershire won the toss and put Gloucestershire in, then watched them run up 316/0 lol

update: the binmen still couldn't bowl their opposite numbers out twice in two and a half days even after running up 706/6d

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Jamie Overton and Josh Tongue out for the summer, while Saqib Mahmood and Matthew Potts are probably also injured. Anyone want to bowl (sort of) fast for England's test team?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Jamie Overton and Josh Tongue out for the summer, while Saqib Mahmood and Matthew Potts are probably also injured. Anyone want to bowl (sort of) fast for England's test team?

I look forward to Archer's single eight over spell before he gets hurt again

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

tarbrush posted:

I look forward to Archer's single eight over spell before he gets hurt again

Joe Root has a lot to answer for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Head out again on a duck