Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I just remembered snake adopts a wolf pup and raises it as a dog on that oil rig. one character gets furious that no one else recognizes it as a wolf. it's like an episode of Chicken Boo and it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Professor Wayne posted:

I just remembered snake adopts a wolf pup and raises it as a dog on that oil rig. one character gets furious that no one else recognizes it as a wolf. it's like an episode of Chicken Boo and it's great

That character is a traitor. Don’t listen to him. D-Dog best dog.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Always remember that in MGS4 Johnny saves the world by being an antivaxxer.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

emSparkly posted:

Always remember that in MGS4 Johnny saves the world by being an antivaxxer.

Johnny Sasaki actually saved the world by making GBS threads his pants

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've learned that people are playing Starcraft 2 with a mod that lets you use Brood War races, like you can have a matchup that's BW Terran vs SC2 Protoss, I think that's cool as hell and should just be part of the base game

Like they already implemented 99% of the Brood War units anyway, they're just in co-op and campaign modes instead of multiplayer. Yeah balancing around 6 sides is exponentially harder than 3 but who gives a gently caress

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How did they get the old pathing and unit stacking and control group limits into sc2?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I could never get behind realistic racing games because they never felt fast enough.

The ZONE things from Wip3out were the best, because it just gets infinitely faster.

Ballistics was good, because it went stupid loving fast, but was too glitchy to really be great.

I feel like Thumper is a better racing game than most car games because it's really just about reacting at stupid speeds. Plus its cool as hell.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Canary Marry slide from Donkey Kong 64 is a better racing game than car racing games with no weapons.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Dewgy posted:

GT7 was the exception for me. I was never into the series much but it feels like an interactive car museum, with a ton of focus on the history of both the sport and the engineering, and it really wants you to love cars just as much as the devs do. It’s infectious.

Having all of that attached to a relatively realistic driving sim just feels like it makes sense.

I think 6 was probably better for that. I don't think it had quite the same history focus as some brands get, but stuff like the little Senna documentary, or the Goodwood races felt a lot more appreciative of history than a couple sentences that a designer may have written about a car, or a couple paragraphs from wikipedia about how cool quattro is slapped onto a powerpoint.

Also, GT6 let you drive on the moon.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

!Klams posted:

I could never get behind realistic racing games because they never felt fast enough.

The ZONE things from Wip3out were the best, because it just gets infinitely faster.

Ballistics was good, because it went stupid loving fast, but was too glitchy to really be great.

I feel like Thumper is a better racing game than most car games because it's really just about reacting at stupid speeds. Plus its cool as hell.

The only realistic racing game I like is Dirt Rally because my car feels like it's going to go completely out of control at any second. Whether it's a futuristic racer or a reality simulator what I'm really looking for is something that makes me go "oh poo poo oh poo poo" every time I enter a turn. Clean racing lines are for boring chumps, I need a vehicle I can barely control.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The ideal racing vehicle will kill me, some competitors, and some very lucky fans

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I've learned that people are playing Starcraft 2 with a mod that lets you use Brood War races, like you can have a matchup that's BW Terran vs SC2 Protoss, I think that's cool as hell and should just be part of the base game

Like they already implemented 99% of the Brood War units anyway, they're just in co-op and campaign modes instead of multiplayer. Yeah balancing around 6 sides is exponentially harder than 3 but who gives a gently caress

I was watching this last night they had a bunch of pros playing teamgames with this mod its pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snx0tLcJv_k

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

Nice Van My Man posted:

The only realistic racing game I like is Dirt Rally because my car feels like it's going to go completely out of control at any second. Whether it's a futuristic racer or a reality simulator what I'm really looking for is something that makes me go "oh poo poo oh poo poo" every time I enter a turn. Clean racing lines are for boring chumps, I need a vehicle I can barely control.

When I used to play Dirt Rally, the really fun part for me was seeing my replay and how "clean" it looked despite how I felt the entire time like I was one turn away from rolling.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I liked MGS5 once I realized that it wasn’t really a MGS game so much as it was a fun Farcry game. The story makes absolutely no sense though. I even tried to understand it, but it just doesnt make sense.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
The best racing game is Uniracers because it was made by pre-Rockstar North developers, got sued into oblivion by Pixar, and allowed for :krad: uniwheel stunts.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
So I finally got a chance to play Fallout 4 and what the hell, they just give you power armor? This game sucks.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fallout 4 is a game made for people who played a couple Fallouts and said "I love the memes in fallout 3 but the gameplay and story in the rest of them is so bad..."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It sorta makes sense with power Armour builds being more a thing in fallout 4 with specific perks for that type of build and what not, and there being more different types/upgrades of power amour.

Still feels a pretty weird rear end decision to give the play power amour and a minigun and have them kill one of the harder enemies in the game right at the start.

Like just why?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

It sorta makes sense with power Armour builds being more a thing in fallout 4 with specific perks for that type of build and what not, and there being more different types/upgrades of power amour.

Still feels a pretty weird rear end decision to give the play power amour and a minigun and have them kill one of the harder enemies in the game right at the start.

Like just why?

Seriously, I have power armor, a laser mini gun, and have mown down a whole street full of raiders and a deathclaw... and I have no desire whatsoever to fire it back up and see what's next.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fallout 4 is meant to be a gently caress Around game, none of the factions matter at all and the settlement building mechanics serve no purpose outside of the player getting to make a base to feel proud about. If you want a game like Fallout or Fallout 2 or Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 4 will disappoint you.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Fallout 4 is meant to be a gently caress Around game, none of the factions matter at all and the settlement building mechanics serve no purpose outside of the player getting to make a base to feel proud about. If you want a game like Fallout or Fallout 2 or Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 4 will disappoint you.

That's the dumb thing about 4 though. You say it's a 'gently caress around' game, but it has the most specific and limited main character and plot out of any of the other Fallout games, and puts way too much importance on you actually trying to pursue it.

like yeah we ignore it, but the game still very much wants you to care about MY SON, HAVE YOU SEEN MY SON

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ishikabibble posted:

That's the dumb thing about 4 though. You say it's a 'gently caress around' game, but it has the most specific and limited main character and plot out of any of the other Fallout games, and puts way too much importance on you actually trying to pursue it.

like yeah we ignore it, but the game still very much wants you to care about MY SON, HAVE YOU SEEN MY SON

I actually have a son currently the size of the baby in F4 and the whole abduction is just so cartoonishly overwrought, it doesn’t hit, at all.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Can you imagine thinking Bethesda games are worth discussing? Lol.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I liked MGS5 once I realized that it wasn’t really a MGS game so much as it was a fun Farcry game. The story makes absolutely no sense though. I even tried to understand it, but it just doesnt make sense.

What doesn't make sense? It's the very simple story of a guy with weird trauma who thinks he's another dude, doing some prequel origin setup for stuff that happens to different dudes who are mostly who they think they are, but not always.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Khanstant posted:

What doesn't make sense? It's the very simple story of a guy with weird trauma who thinks he's another dude, doing some prequel origin setup for stuff that happens to different dudes who are mostly who they think they are, but not always.

also one of the dudes eventually tricks himself into thinking he's possessed by a dude who appears as a child in this game because he got that guy's arm attached in place of his severed arm, but isn't actually possessed by him he just mentally conditioned himself to be possessed by a construct of his own mind

what's not to get

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ishikabibble posted:

Yes Fallout 4 is bad even in the ways in which it is trying to be good, that's true

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

I'll never understand those pure racing games like Forza and Gran Turismo. The Burnout series is fun because the whole point is to make the other cars crash

Gran Turismo is for people who love cars, and Burnout is for people who hate them

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I choose to believe that everyone who simply can't understand why some people want to tune cars in Gran Turismo or something, really getting into nerdy numbers and spreadsheets, also happen to have an active Eve Online account, because that is the funniest option.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Away all Goats posted:

I'll never understand those pure racing games like Forza and Gran Turismo. The Burnout series is fun because the whole point is to make the other cars crash

It's fun if you've ever raced real cars on real race tracks and have some idea of what you're doing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And they spend 2 hours in the Pathfinder character creator before starting the game, and then they go back to the character creator for another 8 hours

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

And they spend 2 hours in the Pathfinder character creator before starting the game, and then they go back to the character creator for another 8 hours

I feel caught

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

fridge corn posted:

It's fun if you've ever raced real cars on real race tracks and have some idea of what you're doing

This is true however as previously mentioned it is NOT true of motorcycle racing games. poo poo like motorbikes in GTA rules, but actual motorbike racing games just don't feel like you're riding a bike, vs car racing sims which totally can replicate a lot of the on track feeling.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i want to play crow country but it is not on the switch

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
My Summer Car is, on the surface, a poo poo post of a game but it is unreasonably good at evoking the highs and lows of fixing up an old vehicle. all of the goofy sim stuff is necessary to get that feeling.
"i'm knee deep in an engine bay and only half of the bolts are tightened on the crank case but i REALLY have to piss" and then when you come back it's all "where the gently caress did I put the timing belt. wait, did I ever have a timing belt?"

it makes it so rewarding when you can finally drive the thing around until a piston blows up and shoots out of the car

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

MSPain posted:

My Summer Car is, on the surface, a poo poo post of a game but it is unreasonably good at evoking the highs and lows of fixing up an old vehicle. all of the goofy sim stuff is necessary to get that feeling.
"i'm knee deep in an engine bay and only half of the bolts are tightened on the crank case but i REALLY have to piss" and then when you come back it's all "where the gently caress did I put the timing belt. wait, did I ever have a timing belt?"

it makes it so rewarding when you can finally drive the thing around until a piston blows up and shoots out of the car

I got as far as getting some of the upgraded car parts installed, hit a corner too fast and quit when I couldnt find parts missing after the crash.

Good game imo

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

satanic splash-back posted:

I got as far as getting some of the upgraded car parts installed, hit a corner too fast and quit when I couldnt find parts missing after the crash.

Good game imo
If you don't want to play the game (which i certainly dont lol) you can just watch this swede play it instead too

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo1nDt_-WWnUsdns8zTgF7OuTJ5r0gEsr

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i prefer this dirtbag of a croat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEriM6TuhXw

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What’s the pc equivalent of grand turismo or forza? I just wanna take a sports car out on the track without it taking up a whole weekend

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Forza is on PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poisonpill posted:

What’s the pc equivalent of grand turismo or forza? I just wanna take a sports car out on the track without it taking up a whole weekend

elden ring