Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I managed to preorder the 5C Eldrazi deck on Amazon when it was still available by itself as opposed to a bundle with the other decks. Thinking about keeping it and making it my 5C deck. Not sure how I'm going to spruce it up, but I can already think of some non-optimal cards I'm going to shove in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Silhouette posted:

I'm kinda hoping for Tsabo's Web to get into modern

I love that card and would love to see a version of it in the modern frame, but nonbasic land hate that doesn't slow down tron seems a bit misplaced in Modern currently imo. I still hope they do it anyways.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tron isn't even that good any more, it's consistently t1.5 at this point

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does that mean they can reprint Nearby Planet without the acorn and not bust anything?

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Khanstant posted:

Does that mean they can reprint Nearby Planet without the acorn and not bust anything?

Nearby Planet has all five basic types. I believe they said that it works fine with the rules, but it was made acorn due to power level.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

generatrix posted:

Nearby Planet has all five basic types. I believe they said that it works fine with the rules, but it was made acorn due to power level.

It has all types, not just basics

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
A single land giving you Domain and Tron simultaneously while also being searchable would be broke as gently caress, yes.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 19, 2024

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It's clearly Korvecdal, a concept that is not on any card except one Vanguard.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's clearly Korvecdal, a concept that is not on any card except one Vanguard.

Yeah. Someone mentions that in a lore comment.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah. Someone mentions that in a lore comment.

The fact that there are ar least two of us who remember the korvecdal is frightening.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ah yes, the korvecdal, nearly as important as the orcgoblinkobold or the brushwaggweirdclown

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

The gently caress kind of magic card is this

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

bertolt rekt posted:

The gently caress kind of magic card is this

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Vanguard_(card_type)

https://scryfall.com/sets/pvan

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think they were kind of like Hearthstone Heroes, some extinct format where you'd pick one of these Vanguard cards and get their stated changes. Presumably you'd build your deck around it. Not sure how it actually all worked but seemed kinda of interesting.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm sure people tried it, but it was pretty much just novelty giveaways in tcg magazines during Weatherlight saga. A few of the rarer ones are worth some money like Sliver Queen.

Only real impact vanguard had is that it's where the Momir Vig game type comes from since MODO kept it alive for a while longer.

Some really nice art and representations in the bunch purple border were lower effort MODO versions while the grey border had physical cards printed https://scryfall.com/search?q=t%3Avanguard

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 20, 2024

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, no. Vanguard were originally a casual-focused product designed to be used for the initial Arena summer season and it absolutely worked. The gift boxes flew off the shelves and Arena had a massive influx of players. They did eventually pack-in a few cards with some issues of The Duelist, but that came later after they were already wildly popular.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Vanguard was also fun as gently caress

I played Hanna with Sligh and just ransacked people during Tempest block type 2 :getin:

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Sell me some retro bordered commander protection in black-blue-red colors, 'cuz I got the Mishra BROWAR precon and I'm trying keep the borders the same with upgrades. Not doing modern, no matter much you upsell stuff like: vehicles, infinite turns with Gonti's Aether Heart or cheating out from the Warform-must-be-sacced with Obeka / Sundial of the Infinite. Or all the other artifacts with cool ETB and LTB effects.

Turns out they haven't reprinted that much hexproof or indestructible with retro frames so Lightning Greaves and Darksteel is out. Swiftfoot got a reprint with BRO though.

Diplomatic Immunity, Alexi's Cloak, Pemmin's Aura get me shroud but I got nothing to return them from the GY. Vanishing to introduce everyone on the table to phases out effects? Crucify Mishra on the Phyrexian cross? Give up focusing on targeted hate protection and just pack in all the counterspells + Fork?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vanguard is a really cool concept but jesus christ were they unbalanced especially looking at them in a modern context. There's a small handful that are just overwhelmingly better than the rest of them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fajita Queen posted:

Vanguard is a really cool concept but jesus christ were they unbalanced especially looking at them in a modern context. There's a small handful that are just overwhelmingly better than the rest of them.

What are you talking about? Gix gives you 38 starting life!! That's definitely worth starting with 5 cards in hand. That loser Titania has 15, now that balances the 9 card hand and permanent exploration.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Molrok posted:

Sell me some retro bordered commander protection in black-blue-red colors, 'cuz I got the Mishra BROWAR precon and I'm trying keep the borders the same with upgrades. Not doing modern, no matter much you upsell stuff like: vehicles, infinite turns with Gonti's Aether Heart or cheating out from the Warform-must-be-sacced with Obeka / Sundial of the Infinite. Or all the other artifacts with cool ETB and LTB effects.

Turns out they haven't reprinted that much hexproof or indestructible with retro frames so Lightning Greaves and Darksteel is out. Swiftfoot got a reprint with BRO though.

Diplomatic Immunity, Alexi's Cloak, Pemmin's Aura get me shroud but I got nothing to return them from the GY. Vanishing to introduce everyone on the table to phases out effects? Crucify Mishra on the Phyrexian cross? Give up focusing on targeted hate protection and just pack in all the counterspells + Fork?

Dark Privilege, Defiling Tears, Delif's Cube, Draconian Cylix, Horror of Horrors, Life Matrix, Medicine Bag, Soul Channeling and Thrull Retainer are the best you're gonna get, and most of them are terrible

Edit: Horror of Horrors and Medicine Bag are probably the best of the bunch tbh

Edit 2: ok gently caress that, why isn't Horror of Horrors in every Gitrog or Korvold deck? It's kinda nuts

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 20, 2024

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Dark Privilege, Defiling Tears, Delif's Cube, Draconian Cylix, Horror of Horrors, Life Matrix, Medicine Bag, Soul Channeling and Thrull Retainer are the best you're gonna get, and most of them are terrible

Edit: Horror of Horrors and Medicine Bag are probably the best of the bunch tbh

Edit 2: ok gently caress that, why isn't Horror of Horrors in every Gitrog or Korvold deck? It's kinda nuts

Thanks!

Actually came across Skull of Orm and Crystal Chimes so there is enchantment recovery available in old frames,without color ID, but likely can't cut stuff to make room for those.

Good stuff in case I get get jinxed by another old-frame commander.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Vexing Bauble looks like an absolute slam dunk in Blood Pod, and honestly, probably across a lot of the cedh metagame. Slamming it down t1 will probably cripple a lot of opening hands as well as shutting down most breach lines

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I dunno. Void Mirror already doesn't see any play.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm glad that effect is on Boromir, personal favorite card from the LOTR set

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

I dunno. Void Mirror already doesn't see any play.

2 mana is a lot different from 1 mana. 1 mana means if you have it in your opening hand, you can shut your opponents down more consistently on their opening hands.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm glad that effect is on Boromir, personal favorite card from the LOTR set

His is one sided too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

berenzen posted:

2 mana is a lot different from 1 mana. 1 mana means if you have it in your opening hand, you can shut your opponents down more consistently on their opening hands.

Also, it doesn’t prevent you from making GBS threads out your hand after the fact.

I’m seriously considering it in Emry since she makes it infinitely recurrable.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The new Ulamog and Kozilek have been spoiled, along with a few cards that had already been leaked. The flare cycle looks pretty good in its extended art version (well, I don't think the black one looks very good). I'll edit this reply later, but they're on Reddit, for those curious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah it seems like they went ahead and loaded up today with a lot of the stuff that already leaked.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Also, we got another one of those double-faced cards with a land on the back in Maro's Making Magic article:

Disciple of Freyalise 3GGG
Creature - Elf Druid
Uncommon

When Disciple of Freyalise enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice another creature. If you do, you gain X life and draw X cards, where X is that creature's power.
3/3

///

Garden of Freyalise
Land

As Garden of Freyalise enters the battlefield, you may pay 3 life. If you don't, it enters the battlefield tapped.

T: Add G.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Landfall Commander in the main set:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1cy2hca/mh3_the_necrobloom_via_the_card_gallery/

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's pretty nice, a very focused land commander in those colors for the first time.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I would argue this is worse than Swan Song: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1cy3x17/mh3_strix_serenage_via_pleasantkenobi/

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

An unconditional 1-mana creature counter is incredibly powerful. I don't think there's ever been one before. And it also hits planeswalkers and artifacts. It's extremely good. Better or worse than Swan Song is kind of meaningless since they don't overlap at all, and regardless, I expect this to get a lot of play in every format it's legal in.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Yeah this is the field of the dead dude I laughed about earlier. I love it but I already have so many landfall and or graveyard decks

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm excited for mdfc dual lands as some of them actually look playable (Dimir and Golgari ones come to mind)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoa, somebody to reward me for my landbases with no dupes? I like this rotting plant thing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Khanstant posted:

Whoa, somebody to reward me for my landbases with no dupes? I like this rotting plant thing.

One of the tricks I figured out for landfall decks is that you have basic lands and snow basics as it increases the amount of names, which turns on field of the dead a little faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I've gotta say that I'm not a fan of this set's theme of "this card is named very similar to this older card and has a very similar but twisted effect". It's just going to make it harder to remember the effects of both related cards. It would've been cute as like a single cycle, but there are just too many so far for me.