Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the local battery farm liberation group won't let me join their hen-saving team because i'm not a vegan and cannot commit long term to the vegan lifestyle :smith: hopefully they'll let me have a few ex-batts when i finally get a chook-friendly yard, if i can convince them that my craving for flesh is manageable and won't put the chickens in danger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Wow, what a bunch of self-righteous assholes. I'm sorry nankeen, I'm sure you'll find another place to save ex-batts from if they reject you.

Edit: Wait, if they are vegan, then they are not only afraid that you crave your chicken's flesh, but their eggs too? Oh boy...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

nankeen posted:

the local battery farm liberation group won't let me join their hen-saving team because i'm not a vegan and cannot commit long term to the vegan lifestyle :smith: hopefully they'll let me have a few ex-batts when i finally get a chook-friendly yard, if i can convince them that my craving for flesh is manageable and won't put the chickens in danger

What?! That’s asinine.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Vegans being smug and self righteous? I nevah

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
tbh our government has swung so right that liberating chooks from our proud aussie battlers is now considered an act of war, i don't blame the liberators for needing solidarity from their team mates, i just hope they'll let me give some chooks a happy home

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
in short if you save chooks from battery farms you're a hero to me even if you're a militant vegan!

now that i've had a bit of experience with various species of domestic poultry i'm going to start harassing scientists and conservationists so i can get into restricted native groundbirds, starting with the brush turkey, which seems in temperament and upkeep more or less like a guinea fowl, and looks like this:

nankeen fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 23, 2019

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

So just tell them you're vegan? gently caress them.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Ghostnuke posted:

So just tell them you're vegan?
not an option. the chickens can tell

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yes, and that's why they behave

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I looked up what chicken noises mean, and I've learned that they can 'purr.' I think my chickens purr a LOT when they're digging a small ditch to roll around in the dirt.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

5er posted:

I looked up what chicken noises mean, and I've learned that they can 'purr.' I think my chickens purr a LOT when they're digging a small ditch to roll around in the dirt.
there is literally nothing happier than a chook in the dust

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The first time I heard one of my chickens purr was such a wtf moment for me

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Personalities are really starting to develop among my chickies. I love how inquisitive and alert Muldoon is whenever I'm hanging out with them, and I love how Bulldozer just runs everybody over so she can be the first one to investigate something new.

Second week photos will be shared this weekend! I hope you all don't mind me journaling about them here; it's really fun to share.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Please share lots (especially pictures)

It's been great seeing them go from eggs to tiny fluffs :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Enfys posted:

Exactly! :3:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enfys posted:

Thirdly!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Second week class photos!!

Here is the first week album if you want to do some comparing: https://imgur.com/a/htMFny7

i can't with that mohawk it kills me i love her

"rowdy"

Pausing a moment to discuss little Foghorn -- she's runty. What started out as a cute underbite has developed into scissor-beak. It also looks like her upper bill is significantly smaller than her lower bill. I don't have a problem with keeping her beak trimmed and cleaned, but I do have concerns about how little growth she's made compared to everyone else. Has anyone had success stories with scissor-beaked chickens? I've been reading up and as I understand it there isn't a whole lot of "treatment" I can try (beyond some scary-sounding experiments with tape and forced beak/jaw adjustments).

still so cheeky

:kimchi: :kimchi:

They're way less cooperative about photos, now. It took some real wrangling! My husband helped.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Oh. My. God. :3: :3: :3:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Butternut's mohawk and fierce eye paint are amazing :kimchi:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I've got pictures of my girls! They're around five weeks, maybe six, so they're in a weird place where they look almost grown up, but they're not near as cute as mcin's babies. Further influencing the quality, these fuckers don't hold still for poo poo, they just love hauling rear end everywhere. And I didn't resize these stupid things after offloading them from my phone, so timg it is.

Fluffy, or 'Fluffbutt'.

Zilla.

Sam, with Ella apparently at a Slayer concert.

Ella.

Bonus Ella, getting curious about the camera.

Bonus Zilla, hunting mosquitos in my lap.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Aww poor little foghorn. She looks adorable though!!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

ZILLA! :black101:

Man, only a few more weeks and my girls will be so big! I'm looking forward to it, and to getting them outside.

Yours are all hens, right?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

5er posted:

Bonus Ella, getting curious about the camera.

That face :neckbeard:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

my cat is norris posted:

ZILLA! :black101:

Man, only a few more weeks and my girls will be so big! I'm looking forward to it, and to getting them outside.

Yours are all hens, right?

They better be, my county has a no-roosters ordinance.

Plate
Jul 5, 2006
Love for the rest of us
Fallen Rib
Hi guys,

I'm interested in becoming a first time chicken-haver at some point soon-ish depending on when I can fit it into things financially (it's super tempting to use savings to just do it now, but I'm being a responsible adult). I'm interested in Silkies for a first time breed as I've read they're quiet, affectionate, small and less destructive while still producing a reasonable amount of eggs in between broody phases. I just read something about the males not being as aggressive as other breed males typically are. I wondered whether there are pros/cons to whether I include one male with several females or just go for an all female flock? If I did include a male, how does that work in terms of offpring? Do you automatically get inundated with chicks, or do you just have to keep on top of locating eggs and removing them if you don't want more than say one or two to hatch? Or do silkies typically not have success in hatching their own eggs?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Breeds are breeds. Everyone will have stories about how every breed is an rear end in a top hat, and simultaneously not an rear end in a top hat. Just get what you want.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
One of my hens has been taking a really long time to lay recently, she was in the nesting box all yesterday afternoon and evening and again this morning, laid an egg, I let them out to free range a little while ago and just saw her sneaking back into the coop. I was a little worried she might be having some trouble laying or something because her eggs have been a little weird and lumpy recently, but... she's just going broody, yeah? She's nearly a year old (Welsummer bantam.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My experience with two silkies is that the rooster was not very aggressive, and the hen was a good mother but broody to the point of just wanting to sit in the coop most of the time.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

my only experience with silkies is that they taste good to raccoons :qq:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Plate posted:

I'm interested in Silkies for a first time breed as I've read they're quiet, affectionate, small and less destructive while still producing a reasonable amount of eggs in between broody phases. I just read something about the males not being as aggressive as other breed males typically are. I wondered whether there are pros/cons to whether I include one male with several females or just go for an all female flock? If I did include a male, how does that work in terms of offpring? Do you automatically get inundated with chicks, or do you just have to keep on top of locating eggs and removing them if you don't want more than say one or two to hatch? Or do silkies typically not have success in hatching their own eggs?
:kimchi: silkies are literally never a bad idea. they lay small eggs but still a good number of them. i've never kept them myself but i'm told they're good mothers. hens will apparently go broody without a rooster around, but obviously if you don't have a rooster the eggs will be infertile - you know when they're broody because they lay themselves flat across the eggs and growl at you when you try to remove them (it's hilarious) but if that does happen you can just take most of the clutch the hen is sitting on and leave her one or two eggs to hatch, she'll be perfectly happy with that. making sure you don't have eggs lying around is the best way to control their broodiness, something about the sight of a big pile of eggs sets them off - luckily chooks usually choose a single place or small number of places to lay and will keep laying there every day, so it's pretty easy to keep on top of unless you have a ninja chicken who decides to go off and make a secret nest, but in my experience the ninja chickens are usually solitary and the majority of the flock prefer to lay together. i've also heard that silkie roosters are less aggressive and they make the best pets of any breed.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Silkie roosters are gentler and calmer than other roosters, but they are still roosters and can get mean. On average though a Silkie boy will be lovely and nice. The girls doubly so.

As for eggs and babies: Silkies LOVE to sit on eggs and hatch babies. Silkies are often used to hatch eggs of other breeds. It's not uncommon for a hen to be perma broody and love nothing but sitting on eggs all day every day. However, if you steal her eggs and she doesn't get smart enough to hide them, you should be able to eat them.

Make sure to check what size Silkies are in your area. Almost all Silkies in the US are bantams if I recall, while most UK Silkies are full size, and in Australia both are common enough. This will determine how big their delicious eggs will be as well as how many you can comfortably keep and what size you'll need to build their pen and fittings to.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

As for eggs and babies: Silkies LOVE to sit on eggs and hatch babies. Silkies are often used to hatch eggs of other breeds. It's not uncommon for a hen to be perma broody and love nothing but sitting on eggs all day every day.
i didn't know they were that broody! do they make good mothers?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
my lavender araucana was the loving worst parent in the world and it was as hilarious as it was tragic because she was a great brooder, but as soon as the chicks were out of the egg she'd be sprinting them all over the yard at a hundred miles an hour so they were constantly getting lost and scattered or just dropping from exhaustion and being picked off by the goshawks. as soon as the last one vanished she'd strut back to the nest and get started on the next lot. she was completely deranged

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

nankeen posted:

i didn't know they were that broody! do they make good mothers?

They are. When you get the bantam versions they will happily sit on regular sized eggs and act as loving mothers to giant regular sized rooster babies. They are also used to hatch duck eggs because ducks are terrible mothers. (Except for muscovies, which are a different species to regular domestic ducks. Regular ducks are mallards whereas muscovies are their own species native to the Americas. This is why they have different incubation periods.)

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

They are. When you get the bantam versions they will happily sit on regular sized eggs and act as loving mothers to giant regular sized rooster babies. They are also used to hatch duck eggs because ducks are terrible mothers. (Except for muscovies, which are a different species to regular domestic ducks. Regular ducks are mallards whereas muscovies are their own species native to the Americas. This is why they have different incubation periods.)
ok my future keet adventures just took a fascinating turn. the poor things just need a mother

(i'm desperate to get a muscovy but my own mother legitimately has a phobia of ducks due to past psychological trauma, she likes them but can't bear to be close to them)

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i can't imagine what goes through a hen's mind when a duckling or a keet hatches out of her egg but it really does just seem to be "my baby. my baby"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
My hen Courage is definitely broody! She's sitting on four eggs right now, I moved her from the solely-used nesting box to one of the unused ones for a little more peace and solitude and she seems to be sticking there. I'm quite pleased, as I just finished expanding their run in anticipation of someday growing the flock a bit. Their coop is about 16" off the ground and they have to jump up, and the nesting boxes are raised off the floor in that, so I'm definitely going to have to move her to somewhere more appropriate when the chicks come along, likely a dog crate in the run. But I'll wait a couple of weeks before getting that set up.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I can't speak to roosters, but in my experience Rhode Island Red hens tend towards being highly strung, squawky and racist to other breeds. (Yeah, I'm talking about you, Pickle, you bully.)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

ynohtna posted:

I can't speak to roosters, but in my experience Rhode Island Red hens tend towards being highly strung, squawky and racist to other breeds. (Yeah, I'm talking about you, Pickle, you bully.)

They definitely are. Also the girls are very butch and can grow spurs and even sickle feathers sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the sweetest birds i had were plymouth rocks (also known as barred rocks but that name is less common here) and australorps. due to getting my first eggs from a friend, my first clutch were all half pedigree plymouth rock rooster, half 15th-generation semi-feral free-range outback mongrel chicken exquisitely honed by natural selection for survival in the desert. they all looked like tiny stripy velociraptors and they had the weirdest little personalities, they were simultaneously super-friendly and basically wild, like cats. zeborah was the most normal-looking one, she ended up raising the keets and training them to perch in the peppermint tree

i'm excited to try out a silkie now. one silkie and two rescue hens sounds perfect for my needs, and i want to see how silkie mothering compares to that of the anti-breed described above