Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Oxxidation posted:

actually i'll keep going because that post is just so god damned terrible that it warrants being kicked while it's down

louis' recurring problem in the first half of the story is that he tortures himself with the expectations of others and resents the society around him for imposing those expectations in the first place. his self-destructive behavior, up to his attack on the shishigumi, comes from that self-loathing, not because he's "doing what he thinks needs doing" - he despises himself for failing to protect haru and is so sick of the life he's forced to live that he decides to go death-or-glory instead of continuing to suffer under the lie. he then sidesteps into living a whole other kind of lie in his role as the shishigumi's boss, hence the meat-eating and hardass persona, which leads to juno trying to snap him out of it by telling him flat-out that he has to stop defining himself by how he thinks others might see him. glimpsing ibuki's genuine affection for him and the sacrifice he undertakes to act on it finally has him learn to reciprocate the feelings of others instead of just being burdened by them, and offering his foot to legosi is as much a selfish act as an altruistic one - he's throwing away everything about who he used to be so that he can learn to be his own person going forward

after all of that, and after telling haru later that he and legosi want to make a world where people can be honest and open about their feelings, the satisfactory endpoint to his arc would be to at least make an attempt with juno - even if it's just a transient crush, it's something he wants instead of something he feels obligated to do, which follows his earlier growth. having him shuffle back into his arranged marriage, after including a little flashback explicitly pointing out that azuki feels nothing for him, and then not even giving him a final follow-up with his friends (and in fact portraying him as shadowy and isolated the very last time he speaks to haru) and locking away the shishigumi, is an absolute trainwreck of a conclusion for him and the story as a whole. even more so because louis is probably the only character left by the end of beastars who felt like an actual character instead of a slack-jawed marionette dancing along to whatever bullshit cliffhanger the previous chapter felt like setting up.

I was gonna type a big long nerdy reply but I think this post pretty much sums up a lot of my feelings on the matter.

I don't really care if Louis ended up with Juno or not because I don't really care about Juno much as a character and I'm not generally invested in OTPs, but Louis's ending of meekly retreating into a terrible loveless arranged marriage with a virtual non-entity(Azuki received precisely zero development beyond "doesn't care about Louis at all") and portraying him as super isolated and lonely at the end instead of celebrating the bonds that he worked so hard to build throughout the series is whack as hell and one of the biggest letdowns possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm gonna be honest. This series went from one of my favorite manga series I'd ever read... and then became worse than the isekai drek that are a dime a dozen, because at least those dont give you any expectations. Everything post Legosi's little apartment party was down hill. The last dozen chapters were instead down a cliff.

I genuinely cannot recommend this series to people because its latter half is so bad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm gonna be honest. This series went from one of my favorite manga series I'd ever read... and then became worse than the isekai drek that are a dime a dozen, because at least those dont give you any expectations. Everything post Legosi's little apartment party was down hill. The last dozen chapters were instead down a cliff.

I genuinely cannot recommend this series to people because its latter half is so bad.
Hey, what's up Emblemer buddy! I think it was your post on the anime channel that ended up pushing me to see what you meant and HOLY gently caress, you were so right.

Unfortunately. :sigh:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

At least the anime is still an easy recommendation.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah, the anime is fantastic and discovering Ali was the finding of a funky lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PSXJU6Mw88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnakQRoQRzk

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Personal theory here, but it does feel that this story was badly harmly when it transitioned out of the inevitable high-school environment. Some great moments came after thart, but they were increasingly loose and disconnected.

I don't get why a more gradual, natural change to college/early work life would not have served the narrative better. Other than that fact that college is basically No Man's Land in manga world; it's the end of stories, never a part of them. Having the actual Beastar selection take place as they decided on professions, careers and work would have also felt a lot more natural. "This guy killed it at HS beast The Tempest, he should be our supreme leader!" was weird from the off, but I was hoping it would gain context.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I get a feeling the author was just severely burned out by the end there. Would be better if manga went on hiatus, but I assume new authors aren't afforded that kind of freedom to decide their schedule.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

somepartsareme posted:

you are being pretty aggressive and weird about this. i don't like how this story ended up but calling paru "self-sabotaging and mean-spirited" for it is weird

So saying the ending sucks and the story's been not great in the latter half is fine, but talking about the author themselves making said poor decisions with the plot is just going way too far, got it.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I mean yeah, artists can make bad creative decisions without being malicious or deserving of personal attacks. It's kinda just a lovely way to be.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sephyr posted:

Personal theory here, but it does feel that this story was badly harmly when it transitioned out of the inevitable high-school environment. Some great moments came after thart, but they were increasingly loose and disconnected.

I don't get why a more gradual, natural change to college/early work life would not have served the narrative better. Other than that fact that college is basically No Man's Land in manga world; it's the end of stories, never a part of them. Having the actual Beastar selection take place as they decided on professions, careers and work would have also felt a lot more natural. "This guy killed it at HS beast The Tempest, he should be our supreme leader!" was weird from the off, but I was hoping it would gain context.

Am I alone in thinking the manga was fine ultimately as it will probably serve as a foundation for more anthology style stories from Paru? The last issue is already setting them up. Would have liked to have gotten a clue about Juno though.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

eatenmyeyes posted:

Am I alone in thinking the manga was fine ultimately as it will probably serve as a foundation for more anthology style stories from Paru? The last issue is already setting them up. Would have liked to have gotten a clue about Juno though.

Still doesn't make anything to do with Melon any good.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Or make the whole Beastar business have any reason to be, meaning, or impact.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

eatenmyeyes posted:

You're not alone.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I binged the manga in 3 days and day 3 sucked balls. That’s my review, you’re welcome.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

New Season 2 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXsURQxoGe8

Who's the dude Legosi is fighting? I don't remember him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm guessing they probably redid the fight with the drug dealers a bit to punch it up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if you mean the blood-bone dealers then that was after legosi dropped out. he's in his school uniform during that fight in the trailer too, so it's probably not part of his work with gouhin. not sure what the context could be

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Y'know, I think this is the first time I'm actually glad that an anime is veering off from the manga.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Generic j-pop in the opening is quite a step down from Wild Side.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, a shakeup can be good (even if Wildside made me absolutely fall in love with Ali's music).

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Wark Say posted:

Eh, a shakeup can be good (even if Wildside made me absolutely fall in love with Ali's music).
I suppose, it grew on me after a few listens.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
netflix's official twitter account is now soliciting beastars fanfiction, apparently

what a year it's been

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

netflix's official twitter account is now soliciting beastars fanfiction, apparently

what a year it's been

Are they doing it through DMs or something? I'm not seeing anything on any of their accounts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i got wind of it through the subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Beastars/comments/jtp1hx/hey_guys_netflix_here_were_making_a_thing_and_we/

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Maybe they are considering Season 3 but know a Melon arc will be terrible.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Honestly? I'd be more interested in fanfiction season 3 than continuing based on the actual manga.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If Studio Orange straight up writes out Melon from the anime that would be the best thing.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Melon should have been two separate characters from the start: the crazy serial killer hybrid and a charismatic mob boss who wants to expand the reach of the back allwy market

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Studio Orange has like one or two other series entering their pipeline I believe, including a possible Berserk adaptation. I'm getting this feeling Beastars may not get a season 3, or at least not soon after 2.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

S2 OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5M4lbEpn6c

My rating: Bleh/5 stars

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The music's great

The visuals...ehhh...?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Catchy song but otherwise yeah very meh.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
saw it theorized elsewhere that covid might have hampered their work on the opening, hence why all the animation is recycled from season 1

hope that's not a sign of things to come with the season proper

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Hmmm, depending on how they set things up for remote work, I could see people having to work with far less powerful computers than they are used to. That could seriously hinder production. Also, it makes collaboration harder.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Due to Covid the supporting cast will be replaced with just Kangaroo Guy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Hmmm, depending on how they set things up for remote work, I could see people having to work with far less powerful computers than they are used to. That could seriously hinder production. Also, it makes collaboration harder.
3d Modeling software is also one of the worst things to work with via RDP, and hauling a $2-3k PC home (or having room at home for it) isn't an easy sell either.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Trailer looked fine, so fingers crossed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Apparently the first episode aired today anyone check it out?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Apparently the first episode aired today anyone check it out?

i haven't seen it but i've heard generally positive things. there's a new subplot added where 701 is investigating rumors of Rokume, so she won't come totally out of left field when she conscripts legosi

also, yafya's name apparently shows up for a split-second in the new opening and there's a rumor that he has a VA in production notes, so Orange may actually be trying to adapt the Love Failure arc. god help them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Full version of the theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4dpZx-CbKQ

CCs have both lyrics and the English translation.