Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

my cat is norris posted:

Sleepypeeps. I think I have 4 or 5 roosters. Maybe you can help me judge when I next post class photos!
pointy cherubs :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I judge them all as adorable! :3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

my cat is norris posted:

Sleepypeeps. I think I have 4 or 5 roosters. Maybe you can help me judge when I next post class photos!

I like that the handle on the water looks like a big goofy :downs:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

We're basically at the start of Week 5, so here's your weekly dose of growing chickies!

Week One: https://imgur.com/a/htMFny7
Week Two: https://imgur.com/a/vRzi4rS
Week Three.Five: http://imgur.com/a/bgXAgUs

i had to make her stand up i do not know why she was doing this

Seems roostery.

still the meekest and the best at hiding

:smith: that face

Might be a rooster?

So pretty~!

Another rooster?

Acts the most roostery. She's -- he's -- always the first one to get in my face when I visit the brooder room...

Also very happy to pose.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
They are turning into dinosaurs from the feet up! :3:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't think I've ever seen Lorelai looking this determined.

She has been training for this her entire life. She has spent months practicing with fake eggs, real (unfertilized) eggs, rocks, pinecones, wood shavings, and dirt. She is ready and she is going to hatch the poo poo out of these eggs.

(Aggravatingly she also keeps shedding one or two eggs into the space in front of the nest box, I think because there isn't enough room under her because in addition to the fourteen actual eggs she's trying to incubate two fake eggs and at least 2-3 eggs she stole from her sister. Tomorrow I'm going to wait until she gets up to get a drink and then see if I can extract the non-hatching eggs so she'll have room for all the fertilized ones.)

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

High quality birds all

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I love Lorelai please ruffle her feathers for me

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
She has turned into some sort of weird living blanket. I approve.

:3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I love Kali the most because she has the name I suggested. I love her yellow feet which always look to me like fake chicken feet. Also good: tiny crest, stripey winglets :kimchi:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I was finally able to reach under Lorelai this morning and extracted five unfertilized eggs and one fake egg. It looks like at least one of the eggs she was brooding has broken, too. :/ Hopefully I've now removed enough that she has enough room to brood the remainder without ejecting or breaking any more of them.

hope and vaseline posted:

I love Lorelai please ruffle her feathers for me

I have done so, and she has pecked me for it.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

a cryptid

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

omfg that face

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

omg that face indeed

How's Lorelai today?! Cuddle those eggs, mama!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

nankeen posted:

a cryptid

holy poo poo, so cool!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

omg that face indeed

How's Lorelai today?! Cuddle those eggs, mama!

I have no idea what is going on with these chooks, but I'm honestly not feeling optimistic.

This morning, Lorelai was cuddling the poo poo out of the eggs and Mrs. Kim was sitting in the roost tray in front of her looking super broody as well.

Half an hour after that, Mrs. Kim was roaming around the yard and there were five eggs in the roost tray in front of Lorelai -- I don't know if she ejected them or Mrs. Kim stole them -- and a puddle of yolk. I don't know if one of them has gone egg-eater or if one of the eggs just broke while they were moving them around. I returned the eggs to the nest box.

Half an hour after that, Lorelai had gathered the stray eggs back in and Mrs. Kim appeared to be trying to brood on top of her, although possibly she was just laying an egg. After a while Mrs. Kim got up and returned to the yard while Lorelai remained on the eggs.

I just now (~6 hours later) checked on them, and both of them are out of the coop -- Mrs. Kim is trying to pry my bedroom window open and Lorelai is having a dust bath. I don't know if she's just taking a break or if she's stopped brooding. :ohdear:

I did take this opportunity to check on the nest box and remove all the unfertilized eggs and the remaining fake egg, which left 11 -- so three of them have been broken, either by egg-eating or just by constant shuffling around and bonking against other eggs/the fake eggs/the nest box divider.

My partner said that they've never had issues like this getting broody hens to hatch eggs, but they'd also never tried to give eggs to a broody hen; they had a rooster and would just let the hens brood their own eggs (and any other eggs they stole from their neighbors, a lot of the time) without interference.

E: she's back on the eggs! I guess she was just taking a break. I swear I'm more jittery about these eggs than I was about my own daughter's birth.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 16, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Are you saying one chicken tried to brood physically on top of the other!

:derptiel:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

ToxicFrog posted:

E: she's back on the eggs! I guess she was just taking a break. I swear I'm more jittery about these eggs than I was about my own daughter's birth.
they take surprisingly long breaks, i've had hens leave the eggs for hours at a time and still get an excellent success rate. once when i had two hens brooding the same clutch (they co-raised the chicks, it was beautiful) both of them would leave the nest at once and go out to dust bathe and forage together, and a third hen would come in and gently turn all the eggs over while they were gone

(two of those three were sussexes like lorelei, they are intense and excellent mothers)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Captain Log posted:

Are you saying one chicken tried to brood physically on top of the other!

:derptiel:

We had two hens that would very gently fight over who got the nest at bedtime, the top hen would not always get it.
One time we checked in to see what they were doing and saw two hens stacked on top of each other.
Neither of them looked like they were acknowledging the other.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

spookygonk posted:

We had two hens that would very gently fight over who got the nest at bedtime, the top hen would not always get it.
One time we checked in to see what they were doing and saw two hens stacked on top of each other.

Chickens are the best. :3:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

spookygonk posted:

When the sussies went broody last year, this happened:

Occasionally one or both of the orps would try to find room as well:

Based on talking to my partner, this is completely typical. You may have a dozen nest boxes, but only of them can be the best nest box, and all the chickens want it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Whenever you have four hens and six nesting boxes, all the hens will decide only THIS PARTICULAR NESTING BOX is the right one and will all cram into it at once.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Chickens are the best thing ever, and if I ever move to a house rather than a condo I'm going to keep about three dozen.

I bet I could write best selling stories about the chickens, but in a soap opera, "Then, Bella decided to lay on top of Bing Bong, and she was quite perturbed." style.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
those faces

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

nankeen posted:

those faces

"There's no chicken here, only Zuul."

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Chickens are the best thing ever, and if I ever move to a house rather than a condo I'm going to keep about three dozen.

I bet I could write best selling stories about the chickens, but in a soap opera, "Then, Bella decided to lay on top of Bing Bong, and she was quite perturbed." style.

I thought you meant a rock opera for a moment... which would also be amazing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

WrenP-Complete posted:

I thought you meant a rock opera for a moment... which would also be amazing.

How does a singing chicken sound?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Captain Log posted:

How does a singing chicken sound?
if my araucana is any indication, it sounds like a fairy tale witch who's just turned a king into a toad and is faintly aroused by it

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yall don't make me write chicken game of thrones.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

nankeen posted:

if my araucana is any indication, it sounds like a fairy tale witch who's just turned a king into a toad and is faintly aroused by it

One of my ameraucanas makes a peculiar coo'ing noise exclusively when they're perched and I go into the coop to secure the door at sunset. The rest of them just stare at me quietly, and judgmentally.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What the gently caress is wrong with these chickens :psyduck:

Lorelai is now brooding on an empty nest box, because Mrs. Kim has stolen all of the eggs -- not into an adjacent nest box but into the tray under the internal roosts in front of the nest boxes. In the process she has broken four more of them, so we're down to 7 eggs of the original 14. At least, I hope it's accidental breakage from the drop out of the nest box and into the metal (albeit filled with wood shavings) tray and not that she's gone broody and egg-eater at the same time.

We might still have a chance of some of them hatching if they stay there, but if Lorelai tries to steal them back all of them will end up broken by the end of next week.

Assuming that none of them hatch -- which I think at this point is pretty likely -- before we try this again I think we'll remove one of the nest box dividers in the hopes that they'll be content to nest next to each other and roll the eggs back and forth rather than resting in front of each other and hauling the eggs back and forth over a wooden divider with a steep drop on either end.

Seriously, though. What the gently caress.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

ToxicFrog posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these chickens :psyduck:
they sound like they're working perfectly tbh

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
as soon as i'm in my new house (soon! soon!!) i'm going to start building my quail flock up again and i'm so excited for labyrinthine bird politics you have no idea

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I AM TIRED OF CHICKY MESS the chickens are going outside today. We're graduating to "outdoor dog kennel" before moving into "coop and chicken run." I'm so sick of the mess and noise inside the house. There will be pictures.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nankeen posted:

they sound like they're working perfectly tbh

They're chickens, not quail

How the hell is the species supposed to continue if two hens going broody at the same time will fight over the eggs until all the eggs are destroyed

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

ToxicFrog posted:

How the hell is the species supposed to continue if two hens going broody at the same time will fight over the eggs until all the eggs are destroyed
those eggs were insufficiently powerful. an egg that can survive the hens' solomonesque battle for custody... that egg will form the great chick that was foretold

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
felafel keeps building nests and a couple of times he's gone into the nest with a hen and sat there on the eggs for half an hour while she stands by watching him dubiously. so far they've shown no signs of going broody. i wish i hadn't lost moon unit, but that's the perils of quail freedom :( quail seem to need a nice big clutch of eggs to set them off, so hopefully when i have room for more birds they might get started again. i need to see if they actually can teach their chicks to fear the sky, or if quail are just so stupid they can't even communicate with each other

5er
Jun 1, 2000

my cat is norris posted:

I AM TIRED OF CHICKY MESS the chickens are going outside today. We're graduating to "outdoor dog kennel" before moving into "coop and chicken run." I'm so sick of the mess and noise inside the house. There will be pictures.

I am glad we are just starting with four, over here. They never got too stanky or messy while they were in the indoor nursery bin, and they aren't much of a problem for poo poo buildup since we've properly evicted them to the coop/run a month ago.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I hope it's not bad for chickens to eat clovers because they are going HOG WILD. One of 'em gets her beak around a clover head and then the others get real demanding for it so she has to spin in circles to stop any thieves from taking her treat. This is the best. :allears:

Pics and such later, it was a pretty rainy day so I didn't take my phone outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

:chickbutt:!!

All seven hatched out today! All on the same day, even though I had put in 3 eggs a day after the others, so some good luck there. I forgot how tiny they are.

Now the other two hens are freaked out and hiding in the coop :p but the rooster is quite pleased.