Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Your only noninvasive option is the Q-tip trick. Most people prefer not to dildo their cat every couple weeks, so you should probably just get her spayed. Get a different vet if your last one kept butchering your cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Amoeba
Jul 10, 2006

I am the mightiest of them all!

Immortal Wombat posted:

Ok so this is something I've always wondered.

I often see pictures of pet cats together with pet rodents and they are just chilling being friends - how the hell do people do this? If I tried introducing anything smaller than a rabbit (even then I'd be wary) to either of my cats they would kill the gently caress out of it within seconds.

I get it that some cats aren't as killy as others but how do you even go about introducing them to each other without risking a gruesome demise for the rodent?

I think it depends on the cat. I got pet mice when my cat was a year or two old and she didn't give a poo poo about them except she'd look irritated if I put one on her and it crawled around and mussed up her fur.

If I still had the mice my other cat would destroy them immediately.

Neo Otacon
May 5, 2007

Accept everything just the way it is.
Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.
Do not, under any circumstances, depend on a partial feeling.
Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.
Be detached from desire your whole life long.
Do not regret what you have done.
Be excellent to each other :3:

drat Bananas posted:

I'm humbled by your advice, along with everyone else's. Antihistamine treatment versus hysterectomy cures, and now i see the scope of options and must deny them both. I'm doomed to perceive my pets as mascots, not prisoners, and its my sister's fault for picking up strays anyways :). Fate can't be that cruel with only two horrible options, and this I must believe in order to preserve my captive hope.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Neo Otacon posted:

I'm humbled by your advice, along with everyone else's. Antihistamine treatment versus hysterectomy cures, and now i see the scope of options and must deny them both. I'm doomed to perceive my pets as mascots, not prisoners, and its my sister's fault for picking up strays anyways :). Fate can't be that cruel with only two horrible options, and this I must believe in order to preserve my captive hope.

Just how schizophrenic are you

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Exactly what happened to your previous cats that has made you think spaying is a barbaric practice?

And is this current cat getting any other kind of vet care? Has she had her shots, been dewormed, etc?

Neo Otacon
May 5, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

Please refrain from namecalling strangers.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Neo Otacon posted:

:stare: Just spay your drat cat.

e: hoho this was a good one 9/10

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 6, 2012

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Neo Otacon posted:

Nuttiest poo poo I have ever read, what the hell is wrong with you.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Neo Otacon posted:

Please refrain from namecalling strangers.

I don't think its name calling if its true.

On the other hand maybe you are just a failed writer or something.

Get your cat snipped you loving wuss.

EDIT: choice 1: Routine medical procedure
Choice 2: kittens requiring routine medical procedures who might possibly be euth'ed because you are too much of a nut bar to get your cat fixed.

truly the most difficult of choices a bloo bloo.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 6, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
A man and his cats, and two roads diverged in a yellow wood~

Neo Otacon
May 5, 2007

This is out of line for a bunch of animal lovers. I'm frankly offended by the person who would entrust another living creature to some of these misanthropic responders with hateful responses. But I do appreciate the advice given with due understanding and concern, and wish not to trouble such a condensed thread any further.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Frankly offended! Out of order! This entire THREAD is out of order!

Dude's a troll, I'm p.sure of it.

Also Super needs to come back and show him what Frak(ie)ly offended looks like. :catdrugs:

Neo Otacon
May 5, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

Frankly offended! Out of order! This entire THREAD is out of order!

Dude's a troll, I'm p.sure of it.

My cat won't stfu, yet i'm not the kind of guy to probe her with a q-tip, or allow some stripmall quack to drug her up with ket and gouge her with an inferior set of implements.

I think you expected too much of little old me, I just love my cats in a scope which will complement my future amongst the living, you ghoul.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Neo Otacon posted:

My cat won't stfu, yet i'm not the kind of guy to probe her with a q-tip, or allow some stripmall quack to drug her up with ket and gouge her with an inferior set of implements.

I think you expected too much of little old me, I just love my cats in a scope which will complement my future amongst the living, you ghoul.

No really, the facial distortions aren't real and the snakes in the pavement won't bite you. Set the TV to a channel that's all static; if it's something you like to watch they'll see the yellows and reds in your eyes and you will never be free. A man dies alone, and if the cat counts you down in your end they will eat the numbers of your last q-tipings and it will all come down to nine again. :tinfoil:

bash ironfist posted:

Also Super needs to come back and show him what Frak(ie)ly offended looks like.

Frankiely Offensive. Helter skelter :shepface:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

No really, the facial distortions aren't real and the snakes in the pavement won't bite you. Set the TV to a channel that's all static; if it's something you like to watch they'll see the yellows and reds in your eyes and you will never be free. A man dies alone, and if the cat counts you down in your end they will eat the numbers of your last q-tipings and it will all come down to nine again. :tinfoil:

Frankiely Offensive. Helter skelter :shepface:

That's both adorable and disturbing. I should be offended, but I'm more :3:

Asked this in another thread a while ago but didn't get answers: I know there's a list of food thats bad for a dog, but what about good stuff? I think I remember that blueberries are okay for dogs?

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
As an aside, for people who are truly interested in minimizing incisions during spays and whatnot, there is a minimally invasive ovariectomy surgery where, instead of making one long ventral incision, they make two or three small incisions, insert a camera and surgical implements through the incisions, and take out the ovaries that way. It'd only be available near major hospitals/teaching centres, and it would be expensive (~$1000 for a spay), but the small incisions allow for faster healing and less discomfort for the animal (theoretically).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Neo Otacon posted:

Then find a board certified surgeon to do a laparoscopic removal of her ovaries. That would be by far the 'least' invasive surgery out there... even though some vets are so good at spaying cats that their incisions are the same size as the ports anyway. Remember, you're the one who chose the quack with ket because you wanted to save the money it took to buy your SA account! You get what you pay for.

There is literally nothing 'noninvasive' that can be done. There has been little (likely no) testing of contraceptives in domestic cats. The closest thing would be in captive wild felines.

It's not just the decreasing kitten production, it's that not spaying an animal when it is young makes it far more likely that it's going to get breast cancer in its life. In cats, they are far more often to be malignant than in dogs. You're essentially dooming you cat to breast cancer. Do you want that on your soul?

Neo Otacon
May 5, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Then find a board certified surgeon to do a laparoscopic removal of her ovaries. That would be by far the 'least' invasive surgery out there... even though some vets are so good at spaying cats that their incisions are the same size as the ports anyway. Remember, you're the one who chose the quack with ket because you wanted to save the money it took to buy your SA account! You get what you pay for.

I should forget it was my aunt who coaxed my sister into making the decision.

And I must remember she's letting me do it my way this time around, because I'm the one whose effort sustains the little shits (she just buys the food, plus u don't know me)

ps: Thanks above poster with the partycatav for my favorite alternative thus far. Still too pricey in terms of human suffering per dollar produced, but I like!

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I'm not sure what you mean by "human suffering per dollar produced" but it sounds like you're looking for a cheap yet minimally-to-non-invasive solution.
Solution: don't have pets.

The cost is free. :toot:

On another note, is the incision larger than the suture wound you see when you bring the cat home? Because Indy's wound (closed with surgical glue) was maybe the width of a fingernail, if that. And she had the slash'em-and-dash'em* low-cost surgery courtesy of the city pound.

*joking, ok?

tiddlez
Nov 25, 2006

Nice shirt, Gaywad.
I'm just cross-posting this from the Training thread incase anyone has any ideas! The previous issue was my 6 month old pup waking up at 6am and not settling down again. He is now waking up at 3:30am!

Plus_Infinity posted:

I posted about this exact thing a few pages back and no one gave any info (except one Euro who doesn't crate at all) so hopefully you get some advice.

What time do you get up in the morning? We were letting our dog out of the crate at the same time (anywhere between 5:30 and 6:45, but usually around 6:30), then bringing him back inside and plopping him on the bed with us while we hit snooze until about 7:30. If we put him back in his crate after he went out, he couldn't settle down again, so we put him on the bed with us. Eventually I decided I'd rather just let him out of his crate at 7 and get up for good (and also we moved to a house where it didn't matter to neighbors if he barked, which is why we started letting him out so early in the first place), but he'd bark like mad between the time he woke up and 7am. We've been trying a bunch of different things and what seems to have worked for us (for the past few days at least, hopefully it sticks) is to put a blanket over his crate AND put his dog bed inside his crate. he had some blankets in there but the bed seems to keep him comfy enough to stay quiet until 7am.

Things have gotten worse and Campbell is now waking up at THREE THIRTY AM. I am beginning to look like a constant zombie.

If I take him out at three thirty, he can't settle back into his crate, even if its covered, his bed is in there, he has toys in there, the windows are covered, nothing. If I take him upstairs he will go back to sleep, however this isn't a viable option as if someone else is going to be watching him for us they won't be able to do this? So i need him to be able to sleep on his own if you know what I mean!

He goes in there quite happily at bed time so it's not as if he doesn't like it in there?

The problem i think is that he is falling asleep way to early at night, like i'm talking 7/8pm on the living room couch or floor, and then going out for a pee before bed at half 9/10pm. So he is basically sleeping for the whole evening, and now waking up at 3:30am.

What kind of things can I do to keep him awake longer in the evening? I'd been taking him out a long walk around tea time, so i'm thinking i may skip this and do it at like 9:30pm, and hopefully that will tire him out later instead of earlier? But I think he will go to sleep before 9:30, and thus perpetuate this vicious cycle.

I am beginning to start to lose hope.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Stop feeding the trolls. Carry on.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Robo Kitty posted:

On another note, is the incision larger than the suture wound you see when you bring the cat home? Because Indy's wound (closed with surgical glue) was maybe the width of a fingernail, if that. And she had the slash'em-and-dash'em* low-cost surgery courtesy of the city pound.

*joking, ok?

Yes, the incision in the body wall is about the same length as the skin incision you see. The skin my pull together a tiny bit when closing, but not much. Vets who do a lot of spays (ie, shelter vets) really can spay a cat through an incision only 2-3cm long, and I've seen vets who can do a routine cat spay in less than 15 minutes from when the anesthetized cat is placed in front of them.

geekybones
Apr 30, 2009
I have two male cats, Sasha and Kabuki, both about 3-4 years old. They were raised in the same foster home as kittens and we got them at the same time. Sasha has an extremely odd behavior that we've never really seen in a cat before so I thought I'd ask about its origin/meaning here. It's not something we're concerned about or wanting to stop really, just curious about.

Sasha is an extremely athletic, predatory sort of cat, absolutely massive and built like a jungle cat. He does a lot of hunting and play hunting of his brother, Kabuki. However, he also has another hobby. Sasha will randomly pick up objects in the house- usually stuffed animals, articles of clothing, and blankets- and drag them around the house. The whole time he mews as loud as he can muster (despite being a large, manly cat he has a kitten's meow to this day), stops every so often to knead his "kill" and flops all over it. If Kabuki is around, Sasha will try his damnedest to show off his prize to Kabuki, dragging it around Kabuki and getting all up in his face. Kabuki usually is like "Yeah, ok, whatever." and turns away, giving him the cold shoulder. This only causes Sasha to drag his conquest around so that Kabuki can see it again. If Kabuki is being particularly apathetic, Sasha will begin to try to stand or sit on top of Kabuki. He never drops his blanket/stuffed animal/whatever the entire time. Eventually he will bore of it and then move on to some other activity.

We will come home to find the kitchen floor absolutely covered with items, as he finds the need to bring down multiple items sometimes. We rarely see him actually pick up said items, but when we do see it he does no stalking or pouncing. Sasha simply goes over to it, sniffs it, and then picks it up in his mouth and proceeds to the kitchen/living room. He also rotates between favored items. For ages it was a scarf, then a moose stuffed animal, and now it's a robe and belt.

Any ideas on what's up with this? I'm guessing it's just a "LOOK! I KILLED IT BE PROUD OF ME!" kinda thing, but I just find it weird that he doesn't hunt the item before hand and that he's SO intent on showing it off to Kabuki. As I said, we don't want to stop it really because it's harmless and honestly quite adorable.

NyaoMyao
Mar 29, 2010

Super High School Level BFFs
What would be the best way of taking in a cat that is probably someone's pet?

A few days ago my a cat walked up to my roommate as she was coming in. It was snowing so she didn't want to leave the cat outside. He's clean and friendly and litterbox trained (if he went at all in the day before we got a litter box we can't find it). We've made some "found cat" posters and will be waiting around to see if someone does claim him but if not, she would like to keep him.

Also, he needs to be neutered. Should we wait a while for someone to claim him before we get him fixed? He's 4-6 months old and still all together and I'd imagine if his owners were going to they would have already.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

4-6 months old is a pretty average age for a kitten to get neutered, so I wouldn't take that as an indication of poor ownership. Don't do anything like that until you're absolutely certain you've done your best to find his owner.

"Found cat" posters aren't enough. Take him to a vet and get him scanned for a microchip. Contact some local vets and rescues and let them know you've found a cat and his description. His owners may have called them asking them to keep an eye out.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So, I'm wondering about dogs and being tired. Feldman's health is actually okay, the giardia's gone. Still has some poop issues, but nothing life-threatening, just a bit of trouble still. He's pretty much an energetic 4 month-old puppy.

However, some days he seems like he's tired. Like today, he'll only chase the flirt pole for a couple minutes, when he went after it for like an hour the day I made it. He's yawning and just seems like he's tired. Now he's eating and drinking and pooping(oh god poop) like normal. Do/can dogs have days where they're just like 'meh, I just wanna sleep'?

Or is it a symptom of something? :ohdear:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Everyone's allowed to have the occasional off-day. If it's sporadic then you're just fine.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

For the past couple of days my cat (four years old) has been sitting in relatively strange spots around the house (for him at least) but he hasn't been hiding or something. He's been acting normal otherwise until today.

Today he's been plopped in the corner of my girlfriend's room and hasn't eaten or really moved all day. He'll lick and adjust himself, acknowledge me when I come in and so on, so I'm not really sure what's up. Once again, I don't think he's hiding. He usually has such a personality and meows at his food bowl, etc.

Last year he almost had kidney failure from a urinary tract infection but he's not acting the same as that incident, last time he was hiding and did not want us to touch him.

It just seems like he doesn't give a gently caress. I am definitely concerned but tight on money right now so I wish I didn't have to resort to the vet. I gave him some treats earlier and he ate them. Any clues?

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Recently, my cat (year and a half old, male, indoor only. that's him in my avatar picture) has started being a little jerk at night - wandering around, meowing, pawing me and my girlfriend in the face in the middle of the night, etc. This behavior is new, but he's always been sleepy and takes naps during the day. So, we're going to focus on playing with him more during daylight hours, as a first step.

Today my girlfriend went to the pet store and got some new toys, catnip, a new scratching post and some other things. In addition to the play-related stuff, she also grabbed a bottle of 'Calm Down for cats'. I'm immediately skeptical about it for a couple reasons - first, because it's 'homeopathic', and second because under Inactive Ingredients it says "13% Alcohol" (Ethanol, I hope?). I was under the impression that cats can't digest it like humans and are more susceptible to poisoning, so that's somewhat unnerving. Dosage recommendations are one teaspoon twice a day.

Anyone familiar with this stuff?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Destroy My Sweater posted:

For the past couple of days my cat (four years old) has been sitting in relatively strange spots around the house (for him at least) but he hasn't been hiding or something. He's been acting normal otherwise until today.

Today he's been plopped in the corner of my girlfriend's room and hasn't eaten or really moved all day. He'll lick and adjust himself, acknowledge me when I come in and so on, so I'm not really sure what's up. Once again, I don't think he's hiding. He usually has such a personality and meows at his food bowl, etc.

Last year he almost had kidney failure from a urinary tract infection but he's not acting the same as that incident, last time he was hiding and did not want us to touch him.

It just seems like he doesn't give a gently caress. I am definitely concerned but tight on money right now so I wish I didn't have to resort to the vet. I gave him some treats earlier and he ate them. Any clues?
If you're concerned, you should take him to a vet. You know your cat best, so you are the best judge as to if there is a significant change in his behavior. Unfortunately, no one can tell you whether he does or does not have a problem through the internet.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Orbis Tertius posted:

In addition to the play-related stuff, she also grabbed a bottle of 'Calm Down for cats'. I'm immediately skeptical about it for a couple reasons - first, because it's 'homeopathic', and second because under Inactive Ingredients it says "13% Alcohol" (Ethanol, I hope?). I was under the impression that cats can't digest it like humans and are more susceptible to poisoning, so that's somewhat unnerving. Dosage recommendations are one teaspoon twice a day.

There are some herbal supplements which can help like Rescue Remedy. But come on man, homeopathy? It's no more effective than a placebo.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

There are some herbal supplements which can help like Rescue Remedy. But come on man, homeopathy? It's no more effective than a placebo.

Rescue remedy is crap too.

And yeah, don't go giving a cat something with no therapeutic use that has a bunch of alcohol in it. It's asking for trouble.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So I'm wondering, what causes a dogs leg to go when you scratch the dog on the right spot? Like I found that if you scratch Feldman on a spot near his stomach, his back leg goes like mad.

I've always heard that this is A Thing with dogs, but I'm curious as to why it does it.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing that any sedative effect it may have would be from the alcohol and not the 'flower essence' ingredients. The only reason I'm somewhat curious is that it was recommended by the pet store owner, who usually gives solid advice/recs.

Can you vouch for Rescue Remedy being effective? It looks like it's also 'homeopathic', and it shares three ingredients in common with the stuff I bought.

Ceridwen posted:

And yeah, don't go giving a cat something with no therapeutic use that has a bunch of alcohol in it. It's asking for trouble.

I guess that answers my question.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Ceridwen posted:

There are some people who swear by it, others who say it doesn't work. It's got more plant stuff in it than the hokey homeopathy solutions. But it also relies on that hokey 'vibrational essence of the flower' stuff?

Anyways people have done science and various herbs do have calming effects. It's probably better to look into that rather than buy one of these cure-alls.

6-Ethyl Bearcat fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 8, 2012

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Orbis Tertius posted:

Valerian root is the one herbal thing that I know works for sure, not sure about other stuff though. We used to use it on horses, haha.

But, if you want him to be quiet at night the easiest thing is to just make sure he's tired. If it's day time and he's taking a nap, wake him up and make him play. Do this all day and he will have much less energy for late night antics.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

There are some people who swear by it, others who say it doesn't work. It's got more plant stuff in it than the hokey homeopathy solutions. But it also relies on that hokey 'vibrational essence of the flower' stuff?

Anyways people have done science and various herbs do have calming effects. It's probably better to look into that rather than buy one of these cure-alls.

My boyfriend has a bottle of rose water with a spritzer for cooking; the ingredients list includes "vormag water" or vortex magnetized water. The bottle claims that the water is ENERGIZED and will help you be ENERGIZED. Its like people didn't learn from VitaRad (or whatever) radioactive water crocks and still want energy filled water. At least with the radioactive crocks there was some sort of truth to the claim.

I laugh at this stuff, and sometimes I feel like its a way of bilking the stupid out of their money and then you realize some fairly bright believe this stuff.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

wtftastic posted:

My boyfriend has a bottle of rose water with a spritzer for cooking; the ingredients list includes "vormag water" or vortex magnetized water. The bottle claims that the water is ENERGIZED and will help you be ENERGIZED. Its like people didn't learn from VitaRad (or whatever) radioactive water crocks and still want energy filled water. At least with the radioactive crocks there was some sort of truth to the claim.

I laugh at this stuff, and sometimes I feel like its a way of bilking the stupid out of their money and then you realize some fairly bright believe this stuff.

Clearly there's only one thing to do. Start up an energy water drink company marketed exclusively for pets. 'Vita-Woof' maybe.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Rescue remedy isn't really herbal though, and the science that has been done on it says it's crap. Go look it up, Bach flower essences are ridiculous.

wikipedia posted:

Edward Bach thought that dew collected from the flowers of plants contains some of the properties of the plant, and that it was more potent on flowers grown in the sun. As it was impractical to collect dew in quantity, he decided to pick flowers and steep them in a bowl of water under sunlight. If this was impractical due to lack of sunlight or other reasons, he decided the flowers may be boiled.

The result of this process Bach termed the "mother tincture", which is then further diluted before sale or use.

Bach was satisfied with the method, because of its simplicity, and because it involved a process of combination of the four elements:

The earth to nurture the plant, the air from which it feeds, the sun or fire to enable it to impart its power, and water to collect and be enriched with its beneficent magnetic healing.[15]

Bach flower remedies are not dependent on the theory of successive dilutions, and are not based on the Law of Similars of Homeopathy. The Bach remedies, unlike homeopathic remedies, are all derived from non-toxic substances, with the idea that a "positive energy" can redirect or neutralize "negative energy."

Does anything in there even sound reasonable to you?

People report them working because they are using them on highly variable and subjective symptoms that will naturally wax and wane even if you do absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Yeah, I was reading that Wikipedia article when I posted. I hadn't actually realised that is what it is; I thought it was essential oils or something, which can actually do things. Chamomille and lavender are meant to be quite good at calming I think, and there are some which lower blood pressure etc.