Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Bosushi! posted:

I'm definitely stealing your pack totem hack.
That all sounds pretty cool! Just make sure they understand how the Umbra works, like how spirits do favors and how the different planes of the Umbra interact with the real world. The books never do a good job explaining it or fleshing it out.

If you'd like, I compiled all the totems I restatted here:
I regret adding coyote though. I figured I'd give him bigger bonuses and have the catch be that Coyote would basically sabotage the players to teach them "lessons." It was supposed to be a trap which I realize is bad GMing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bieeardo posted:

Nine stats. Nine sub-stats. Chargen involving fractional dice. I feel like I've slid into a world where 1996 never ended.
Reading a RPG from the 90s is like compressing a lousy relationship into however long it takes you to skim the book. You start out enchanted and optimistic, and then get bogged down in a bunch of tedious chores you don't care about, you can't have a good time without going through a bunch of grief to get anything done, and eventually you just say gently caress it, it's not worth it unless I can convert her to Savage Worlds.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

XyloJW posted:

I got rid of the entire Lupus breed because I don't want to run a game that involves intelligent, sentient werewolves mating with dogs or having parents who are dogs.

But then nobody can take Skill Focus: loving the Dog!

...oh my god I just made that joke. Kill me.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Halloween Jack posted:

Reading a RPG from the 90s is like compressing a lousy relationship into however long it takes you to skim the book. You start out enchanted and optimistic, and then get bogged down in a bunch of tedious chores you don't care about, you can't have a good time without going through a bunch of grief to get anything done, and eventually you just say gently caress it, it's not worth it unless I can convert her to FATE.

Fixed this, lest people actually be tempted to trying to convert anything to the twenty-first century equivalent of Storyteller.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gau posted:

Fixed this, lest people actually be tempted to trying to convert anything to the twenty-first century equivalent of Storyteller.

Weren't you the pointman on the Nightfall conversion to OSRIC? You have nothing to talk about.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Arivia posted:

Weren't you the pointman on the Nightfall conversion to OSRIC? You have nothing to talk about.

Uh, nope. My familiarity with OSRIC is "uh, that's a clone of First Edition, right?"

Darker Dungeons is pretty solid, though, if you want a straight-up retroclone.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Well, someone's responsible for us needing to deal with this:

I'm sure there's a great reason it's not you though.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

neongrey posted:

I made that lovely graphic after Darren, Mage, and I discussed stretch goals. I don't remember who suggested OSRIC, but I am reasonably certain it wasn't me as I have zero familiarity with or interest in the system.

If you want it to be my fault I'm totally cool with that. It's totally my fault. I'm just saying that my tastes in systems don't roll that way.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

neongrey posted:

Whoever chose that font needs to be shot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sigh. What's wrong with Savage Worlds?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Halloween Jack posted:

I prefer my worlds to be more civilized, thank you kindly.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Halloween Jack posted:

It has really good settings that no one plays.

(It also has Low Life: Rise of the Lowly :getin:)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you don't play Savage Worlds you're a loving idiot. What, hate fun or something?

But no really it's a very fun setting with lots of neat games attached to it and a pretty versatile system to cover most anything you need.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Low Life is an RPG setting that has not one, but two Butt themed dungeons.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Low Life is an RPG setting that has not one, but two Butt themed dungeons.

Stop talking it's already in my rpgnet cart.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The thing that comes to mind with 'common complaints about Savage Worlds' is that it has mostly roleplaying edges/flaws and mostly mechanical ones in the same basket.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
SW combat is an insanely dull slog once the maps and minis come out, there's the whole "getting stunlocked" death spiral, and on top of that it keeps the "spend luck points for rerolls or hoard them for extra XP" thing from Deadlands (now extra exacerbated because you can spend them to stop being stunned), and Necessary Evil in particular is an awful campaign filled with overbearing NPCs constantly making GBS threads on the PCs and a super-powers system that I can only describe as unplaytested garbage.

Savage Worlds looks OK on paper but I have never had any fun playing it with three different groups.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

They dropped the "spend bennies for XP at the end of the session" rule a couple of editions ago.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Parkreiner posted:

SW combat is an insanely dull slog once the maps and minis come out, there's the whole "getting stunlocked" death spiral, and on top of that it keeps the "spend luck points for rerolls or hoard them for extra XP" thing from Deadlands (now extra exacerbated because you can spend them to stop being stunned), and Necessary Evil in particular is an awful campaign filled with overbearing NPCs constantly making GBS threads on the PCs and a super-powers system that I can only describe as unplaytested garbage.

Savage Worlds looks OK on paper but I have never had any fun playing it with three different groups.

I have to agree. I played Savage Worlds in three different settings, with three different DMs, and every time the combat just felt boring. I had fun with the rest of the system, and it's a credit that it worked in such completely different settings, but the combat was always very samey.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Reading a RPG from the 90s is like compressing a lousy relationship into however long it takes you to skim the book. You start out enchanted and optimistic, and then get bogged down in a bunch of tedious chores you don't care about, you can't have a good time without going through a bunch of grief to get anything done, and eventually you just say gently caress it, it's not worth it unless I can convert her to Savage Worlds.

I thought it was going to be forever, you know? We had our inside jokes, our quirks, and sometimes when everything was just right we'd perceive the nature of the world through the mechanics. That's how I knew it was forever: when the simulation gets things that right, how could you move on? Where would you go?

For years I managed to convince myself that I didn't have a problem. All those d6's were for fireballs, or (as I'd say with a laugh) from adolescent flirtations with early-edition Shadowrun. At my worst, before the end, I even claimed to be a collector... like I'd collected all of those sourcebooks that were based on the strangest of licenses.

I don't know when it happened, but... I discovered player-driven narrative. Storygames. The mantra of 'yes, and' seared itself into my being like an eighth chakra. It made me insufferable. Chiding. Things I'd praised for their elegance and detail, sheets and systems detailing every step on a character's path through life, every possible facet, became anathema. What was the point to spending hours in a spreadsheet, when I could get better results with a few lines of prose?

We fought. We fumed. We tried to convince the other that they were wrong. One day I came home... and she was gone. She took my dice, the dog, and left a note on the mantel. On it was written an invitation to perform one of several impossible sex acts with myself, arrayed on a 3d6 table that was appended beneath.

Bitch had left me for GURPS.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Oh man, I loving love this. Not only is it being converted to at least one terrible system, you also need to hire some loser to copy-paste the Fate OGL for you. :allears:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

XyloJW posted:

I have to agree. I played Savage Worlds in three different settings, with three different DMs, and every time the combat just felt boring. I had fun with the rest of the system, and it's a credit that it worked in such completely different settings, but the combat was always very samey.

Yeah. Combat is boring and generic, the advantage/disadvantage system is overdone at best, and there's nothing about the game that evokes or reinforces the setting. It's a popular choice for all the reasons that people like GURPS or Unisystem or Storyteller 2.0. Out of the three, only GURPS really offers something to put it ahead of the pack of "low-impact systems I can pretend work for every game."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm running my first session of night's black agents (secret agents/vampires) tomorrow - any hints/tips? It seems really solid from my reading of it, but I suspect there are some fishhooks in there.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Ettin posted:

Oh man, I loving love this. Not only is it being converted to at least one terrible system, you also need to hire some loser to copy-paste the Fate OGL for you. :allears:
Its a bigger pain in the rear end than that though as we had the conversation earlier in the thread that getting specific forms horror to work in Fate requires actual game design.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gau posted:

Yeah. Combat is boring and generic, the advantage/disadvantage system is overdone at best, and there's nothing about the game that evokes or reinforces the setting. It's a popular choice for all the reasons that people like GURPS or Unisystem or Storyteller 2.0. Out of the three, only GURPS really offers something to put it ahead of the pack of "low-impact systems I can pretend work for every game."

GURPS is the meh game to me. Explaining how to build a character in Cinematic Unisystem or SW is not a chore like it is in GURPS, and if I want complexity there's the HERO system. The only reason I buy GURPS stuff now, is for the sourcebooks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Made out pretty well for my first Free RPG Day. Got the 13 Age module, the Valiant and Cosmic Patrol quickstarts, and the DCC/XCrawl dual module. Out of all of that, the 13th Age module was pretty much the cream of the crop. The other quickstarts seemed to assume you knew everything about the settings, and the DCC/XCrawl one didn't have pregens which seemed to defeat the purpose of a promotional item.

On the plus side, I did get to play Fate Pokemon, and the store had a 10% off RPGs sale too, so I got some books.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Things I discovered while browsing recent Wikipedia RPG pages:

Desborough has his own Wikipedia article. Most of the edits are him, the rest are people deleting his own horn-tooting. :allears:

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Ettin posted:

Things I discovered while browsing recent Wikipedia RPG pages:

Desborough has his own Wikipedia article. Most of the edits are him, the rest are people deleting his own horn-tooting. :allears:

Nice name drop there, trying to put himself on the level of Warren Ellis.

Someone just shoot me in the loving face if I ever stoop to creating and editing my own Wikipedia article.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
They should delete it on the grounds of non-notability. That'd warm the cockles of my heart.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

They should delete it on the grounds of non-notability. That'd warm the cockles of my heart.

Looks like it was nominated after I posted that, so... :munch:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I like my new text, but getting rid of my avatar is just going too far.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Wikipedia's threshold for notability is low. And Desborough passes (Designers and Dragons and an Origins Award is multiple independent sources). But to whoever put it up for a PROD: that works. (For those of you who aren't aware, a PROD is basically Wikipedia's way of saying "Does anyone care enough to save this page?") It's never going to be deleted that way (the page creator is an ardent inclusionist and will just delete the PROD next time he logs in).

And before anyone complains about the wikipedia notability standards being low, just about the entire hobby has notability issues for getting onto Wikipedia. Dungeon World was deleted (before I rescued it) for non-notability.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I should have included 'and someone should buy me an ice cream cone' to emphasise that I meant it as a briefly amusing fantasy. It's gauche, and really kind of pathetic that the dude's editing himself, but I'm a firm believer in not touching the poop.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Well, I now know to roll d6 to determine how many statues of Baphomet to bring to my orgies.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
"Well, ma'am, I'd say Shin Megami Tensei played a much greater part in that conversion."

"...what?"

"...Shin Megami Tensei? The Japanese dungeon crawler?"

"Is that new?"

"Uh, no, not really."

"I've never heard of it. Back to this Dungeons and Dragons, when would you say..."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
And it looks like we're back.

So, how did Free RPG day go for everyone?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
save us lowtax

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This forum is failing its FORT check am I right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Please work, please work... :ohdear:

• Locked thread