Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

teagone posted:

I didn't care for Hereditary, but I thought this was ok. That's my opinion, thanks for reading.

The only thing I liked about Hereditary was “The Scream” and if you’ve seen the movie you know exactly what I mean. I adored Midsommar. I’m glad I saw Midsommar first otherwise I may not have given it a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just watched this movie tonight. I am going to go lay down now and wish I didnt have to live on this planet. Humanity was a mistake. :stare:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ3qxTIsOhQ

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This movie also has instilled in me that Swedish people are weird. It's funny, because I've met exactly 4 Swedish people in my life, and they all exhibited the same kind of eccentric energy Pelle did. That made me lol a bit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm scared to be around Swedish people now.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

I said come in! posted:

How dare you!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I said come in! posted:

I moved to be in Sweden, myself!

Thankfully not so murder-inclined then as the movie would have you think. Actually, my partner didn't want to see the film not because they felt it would be too scary but because they felt it would be a 'Hollywood-ified' version of Sweden, and they couldn't stomach it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samovar posted:

I moved to be in Sweden, myself!

Thankfully not so murder-inclined then as the movie would have you think. Actually, my partner didn't want to see the film not because they felt it would be too scary but because they felt it would be a 'Hollywood-ified' version of Sweden, and they couldn't stomach it.

They are not completely wrong. I mean, the cult murder stuff is completely fake, even the director admits this. The wholesome rituals where no one dies, the runes, their meanings, and use as an actual language though are all real.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

They are not completely wrong. I mean, the cult murder stuff is completely fake, even the director admits this. The wholesome rituals where no one dies, the runes, their meanings, and use as an actual language though are all real.

I thought the old people jumping off cliffs had some evidence behind it (from, like, ancient times)?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The sources for that are like, the same Romans writing about how in India people have no heads and their faces are on their bellies, and basilisks are real. Most of the legends about Attestupa come from a comic story from a medieval saga.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

When I saw the old couple walking up I was reminded of the suicide scene from Battle Royale, going hand in hand in a kind of romantic way.

Instead I got a Gallagher show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

The sources for that are like, the same Romans writing about how in India people have no heads and their faces are on their bellies, and basilisks are real. Most of the legends about Attestupa come from a comic story from a medieval saga.

Ah

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
all i know is that they nailed the being on shrooms "everything is breathing, but wait is it? oh it is, I'm tripping balls" feeling really well

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Doorknob Slobber posted:

all i know is that they nailed the being on shrooms "everything is breathing, but wait is it? oh it is, I'm tripping balls" feeling really well

Fully agree with this. It's one of the most realistic depictions of tripping I've ever seen on film. It's not over exaggerated at the peak like happens in a lot of movies and the effect lessen but don't necessarily go away quickly.

I liked this a lot more than Hereditary. I saw the theatrical this week which was more than enough. I got what I wanted out of it and as curious as I am about the other half hour, I was more than entertained with what was there.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I just got done watching the director's cut (haven't seen the theatrical one). Even though I'd been thoroughly spoiled, I didn't mind. I loved the movie. Florence Pugh deserves an Oscar; her emotions felt very real to me, but then I've had my own issues with anxiety and not feeling like I can talk about my emotions or let anyone know what I'm going through.

I'm writing a book of movie reviews and will include one of Midsommar. Thinking of titling the review "The Bear and the Maiden Fair".

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

a new study bible! posted:

Also, I entirely reject the claim that lack of agency is baked into horror. Look at Hereditary. Annie chooses to pass off Charlie on Peter. Peter chooses to send Charlie to eat some cake. Peter's actions lead to the complication of her anaphylaxis. He tries to save her, but she dies. Peter and Annie feud over who is responsible. Annie exercises the agency to try and connect to Charlie. When things go bad, she chooses to try and close the connection. Peter tries to escape the phantoms in his house. These are all choices that lead to direct response or meaningful complication within the plot DESPITE the fact that all of these characters are pawns to larger machinations. At the very least they are shown to have thoughts/feelings on the circumstances they are thrust into. In Midsommar most characters seem completely disinterested throughout the film, and very little of the story results in response to a central character's choice. The parts of the story that do have agency (Christian's decision to write the thesis, the British couple's attempt to flee, for example) have no influence on the larger gears that are spinning.

Nothing can be horrifying when death is inevitable.

I'm re-animating a months old post because I dont think its unique wrongness was ever addressed. The idea of pointing to Hereditary as an example of agency in horror, when the characters being trapped and robbed of their agency is clobbered over the viewers head repeatedly in the narrative (the characters are trapped by a curse which pre-ordains and orders the 'agency' of the characters who are manipulated and terrorized by said curse), in the aesthetics (trapped within the confines of a terrorized and abject family unit and physically within the claustrophobic confines of their home) and by hammer-thudderingly subtle metaphor (the doll-houses for crying out loud!), is just a breathtakingly bad take.

For me, Hereditary and Midsommar are horrifying precisely because the characters are stricken of their agency. Because Aster lays out, explicitly and from the outset, precisely what will happen to these characters and, as the viewer, all we can do is sit in horror as the trap slowly constricts around them. I love the movies but have such a hard time watching them. In both films the violence plays the role of comic relief (see in Hereditary Charlie's head being knocked clean off of her shoulders in the style of a schlocky 1970s hammer horror, or in Midsommar the elder's abject failure to commit suicide properly, leading to him getting a clonk on the head with an oversized hammer) to allow a breath from the real horror, the slow ratcheting up of tension toward what we already know is coming, and whose conclusion we can do nothing about.

Midsommar was more horrific for me than Hereditary simply because the idea of being forced to take hallucinogenics is much more horrific to me than occult hexes. I'm not sure I've had as much of a reaction from a scene as I did that final dinner scene, it was truly hard for me to watch.

Simiain fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 28, 2019

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Agreed that the hallucinogen scenes were hard to watch. I'm a control freak who maybe has one drink a month or the occasional edible, and the idea of drugs like the ones in the movie, let alone being pressured into them or taking them while in unfamiliar place/people and not in the best mental state to handle them, is nightmarish. I disliked Christian's character, yet his clear discomfort with his "trip" during the final dinner made me sympathy for him; great work by the actor, by the way, especially the way he walks when he goes to the assignation with Maja - he's clearly saying with his posture and the way he walks that he doesn't like this at all.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I've been absolutely gagging to watch this again since going to the cinema, it's such a wonderfully strange film that i'm looking forward to showing it to friends (and no doubt being bitched at for it.....I'm still getting poo poo for getting them to see hereditary in the cinema with me) I've pre-ordered the director's cut Blu-Ray so I'm going to avoid watching it through any other means until then.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3FVUKyJX5y/?igshid=gay2v6cr6mv7

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Catching up:

Has anyone mentioned how the patriarch (I forget his name) says the kid is "unclouded" because he's inbred and at the very end he says the same about Pele?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Finally got to see the director's cut and honestly I think I prefer the theatrical cut. All the added scenes just just make the subtext text.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Catching up:

Has anyone mentioned how the patriarch (I forget his name) says the kid is "unclouded" because he's inbred and at the very end he says the same about Pele?

I feel like nothing about what the villagers say about themselves and their traditions, can be trusted.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Inzombiac posted:

Catching up:

I think they just valued unclouded judgment and weren't suggesting tha Pele was inbred.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Catching up:

I took it as an implication that when/if the oracle dies from medical issues or whatever, Pele will now be highly considered to inbreed and help father a new oracle.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Franchescanado posted:

I took it as an implication that when/if the oracle dies from medical issues or whatever, Pele will now be highly considered to inbreed and help father a new oracle.

Exactly how I took it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Seems like they really burn through people quick. I mean it's a huge pain in the rear end to make new ones since you need outside DNA, and then you're killing like 4 a year? I gotta run some numbers, but based on my preliminary research, I think we're gonna have to make some management changes on this commune.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

I thought originally that Pelle's parents were outsiders who were sacrificed ("they died in a fire") and that he was then adopted by the village. This is part of why he's so attracted to Dani, since he believes that she can find a new family the way he did. If she ends up sacrificed, well then she's free of her pain and its a win-win.

But apparently this version of the festival only takes place every 90 years? What is the "regular" Midsommar, since there's been a bunch of May Queens, and everyone has to sacrifice themselves at 72.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
This is dumb but it made me laugh: Midsommar as told through vines/memes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-6lDcDAgE4

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Anyone else just fully creeped out on the “food” they were served?

If you watch the extras eating it’s just the creepiest thing ever and they never seem to take a bite, just sort of kiss the piece of food on their fork. It seemed intentional, I couldn’t even make out what any of the food was on the tables. I would have been loving starving in that place.

Edit: Aside from the hair pie of course, that looked delicious.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

goodog posted:

I thought originally that Pelle's parents were outsiders who were sacrificed ("they died in a fire") and that he was then adopted by the village. This is part of why he's so attracted to Dani, since he believes that she can find a new family the way he did. If she ends up sacrificed, well then she's free of her pain and its a win-win.

But apparently this version of the festival only takes place every 90 years? What is the "regular" Midsommar, since there's been a bunch of May Queens, and everyone has to sacrifice themselves at 72.

If Pelle's parents were sacrificed and the festival is every 90 years, the timeline doesn't make any sense. I think that's what they were going for but it doesn't work. Either it's more frequent than they let on (there's no point in lying about this), Pelle is lying about what happened to them or they died in an unrelated fire.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my take was the big festival is every 90 years, but these people are clearly up to hosed up poo poo all the drat time

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my take was the big festival is every 90 years, but these people are clearly up to hosed up poo poo all the drat time

Yeah, I'm just joshing about the numbers not making sense. The cult definitely seems like the kind of people that would be like "Hey, let's do a sacrifice temple next month" out of the blue.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It makes sense from context that they have many rituals, but it's only every 90 years that they do the whole shebang. Pelle's parents surely died in a lesser ritual.

Someone suggested that they probably bury produce every year, have a May Queen every 4 years, do human sacrifice every 15 or 18 years, and so on, and it's only every 90 years that everything is happening at once.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

My assumption was that they only did the full ritual with outsiders every 90 years but had some of the individual parts more often. Like maybe they do the may queen dance every year, fake tossing a kid in the river every three years, and burn down a hut once a decade. And some of those hut burning years may not require the same number of sacrifices that the 90 year celebration does. But they clearly have to be doing this stuff more often so that the people in charge of stuffing bears and chanting things can maintain and pass down those skills.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Imagine if a human sacrifice movie that isn't even about the big event--but the practice run. "The next ritual won't be for forty years, but I need someone to con a bunch of outsiders into visiting the village so I can practice my human taxidermy and teach it to my grandson."

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Say what you want about the tenets of murderous Swedish neopaganism, their embroidery is gorgeous.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

just another posted:

Say what you want about the tenets of murderous Swedish neopaganism, their embroidery is gorgeous.

If you haven't listened to it yet, the A24 podcast episode with Ari Aster and Robert Eggars has a lot of interesting stuff about the embroidery and costuming in Midsommar.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Franchescanado posted:

If you haven't listened to it yet, the A24 podcast episode with Ari Aster and Robert Eggars has a lot of interesting stuff about the embroidery and costuming in Midsommar.

Awesome, thank you!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Harton posted:

Anyone else just fully creeped out on the “food” they were served?

If you watch the extras eating it’s just the creepiest thing ever and they never seem to take a bite, just sort of kiss the piece of food on their fork. It seemed intentional, I couldn’t even make out what any of the food was on the tables. I would have been loving starving in that place.

Edit: Aside from the hair pie of course, that looked delicious.

It's really hackneyed and I'm glad they didn't go for it, but I really expected the two Brits to have ended up in the food. When Christian pulls the hair from his mouth, I was sure it'd be a nail or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
Is the Director's Cut actually worth watching? I watched the theatrical version twice and I loved it, but don't really want to subject myself to another watch unless it actually adds something to the narrative. Previous posts said it makes the subtext actual text and that turns me off, so I want to know if it is actually worth another go. I rated this a 4.5 out of 5 and am starting to think it should get full marks, I just don't want to jump into it again unless it's worth it.