Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

thetoughestbean posted:

Speaking of Eisners, the nominees were just announced.

Funnily enough, Tom King’s Wonder Woman is included in the “Best Continuing Series” category.

Eisners not nominating Tom King for something challenge: impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Eisners are pretty much a joke. Like the fact that Moon Knight or Fantastic Four aren't up for anything nor are their writers shows that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Codependent Poster posted:

The Eisners are pretty much a joke. Like the fact that Moon Knight or Fantastic Four aren't up for anything nor are their writers shows that.

Yeah North’s FF is a weird omission.

I tend to be annoyed the International-Asia award because they almost always go for the most respectable option rather than what I think is the best, but this year doesn’t have a Junji Ito or Miyazaki release nominated so I can’t complain.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Codependent Poster posted:

Marvel only got three nominations and they were for Its Jeff! Marvel Comics #1,000 and some Doctor Strange treasury edition reprint.

DC got nominated for Wonder Woman, Nightwing, Shazam, Birds of Prey and a couple different Superman books.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Marvel only got three nominations and they were for Its Jeff! Marvel Comics #1,000 and some Doctor Strange treasury edition reprint.

DC got nominated for Wonder Woman, Nightwing, Shazam, Birds of Prey and a couple different Superman books.

And Poison Ivy! :swoon:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Like I think all those books (besides Wonder Woman) are good and I like them a lot but Fantastic Four is easily better than all of them. You could maybe convince me that Nightwing might be better, but no way on the other ones.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Shazam and Birds of Prey are way better than Nightwing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m only reading Poison Ivy but I’m pretty sure it’s better than Fantastic Four.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Also...like, keep in mind that at the end of the day we are talking about the comic book character whose origin is that Ares, actual god of war, is literally making World War II happen and literally backing the Nazis. Combing real world issues with fantastical catalysts is not a new thing with WW, nor with many others.
... I kinda want a story where WW and Freddy Marvel team up to fight Neo-Nazi's. Bring back Capt. Nazi as their muscle and some dingus Tarrio-style doofus as their "charismatic brain".

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Gripweed posted:

I’m only reading Poison Ivy but I’m pretty sure it’s better than Fantastic Four.

Going strictly by first volumes, it's a close race, but FF volume two loses a little steam. Looking forward to Poison Ivy's follow-up based on your sentiment. Enjoying both series but I can see where Ivy could overtake it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I love the running joke of Ivy loving other woman while being like, “I’m pretty sure Harley will be cool about this”

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

On the flip side, over in Batman: The Adventures Continue, Harley helps Batman track down one of her exes, who turns out to also be Bruce's AND Harvey's ex.

Ivy catches wind of the escapade after the fact, and Harley changes the subject.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also pretty sure "you used to gently caress The Joker" can settle a lot arguments the two have.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I love the running joke of Ivy loving other woman while being like, “I’m pretty sure Harley will be cool about this”

It's fine. Janet from HR is slowly turning into the third of their throuple

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm reading the New Batman and Robin book and there are a few allusions to the Robin solo where Damien is in an Enter the Dragon style tournament, was that any good? I can follow the book fine for now, but if it's fun I might check it out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm reading the New Batman and Robin book and there are a few allusions to the Robin solo where Damien is in an Enter the Dragon style tournament, was that any good? I can follow the book fine for now, but if it's fun I might check it out.

Yeah, it had a neat shonen battle tournament vibe to it. Where Flatline gets introduced, some nice stuff with Ravager.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I thought it was a cute book despite the whole thing taking place on an island where a bunch of kids are fighting to the death.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Jiro posted:

Count me as one of the people that loving LOATHED it, I bitched and bitched about it on here back in the day. Spectre gets mind controlled by a Jean Lorning possessed, don't ask, Eclipso which leads into the only good thing about Infinite Crisis: Day of Vengeance.

Hal getting absolved from going batshit and doing Zero Hour due to yellow space bug infection was what I thought at the time as peak Johns wanting his version of Silver Age stuff to come back, same with Barry. Him and Didio.

This post made me go back and re-read Day of Vengeance since I remembered so little about it and wow I'm glad you brought it up again. That was really good. Was the Shadowpact ongoing any good? Might pick it up after I'm done with GJ's Lanterns.

I've never read Infinite Crisis since I was spoiled about all the big stuff that happens. Why didn't people like it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

This post made me go back and re-read Day of Vengeance since I remembered so little about it and wow I'm glad you brought it up again. That was really good. Was the Shadowpact ongoing any good? Might pick it up after I'm done with GJ's Lanterns.

I've never read Infinite Crisis since I was spoiled about all the big stuff that happens. Why didn't people like it?

Probably the thing you had spoiled.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Unfortunately Shadowpact had promise but didn't necessarily live up to it's scrappy group dynamics, the art changed up a lot too.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Memory at the time was people really liked it. The problem was a bit of follow up. With everything being kicked forward one year in continuity and then seemingly not actually playing with the fact they recreated the multiverse. Earth two came back and... power girl and the Society didn't actually go there, they just stuck around on Earth 1.

It was also Geoff Johns at his peak, a giant story with 1000 moving parts that all seemed to mesh together well, and the event itself moved along quite well. His favorite characters got a lot to do and it was a vehicle for him to bring Barry back.

The biggest criticism I remember seeing about it was the idea that Superboy Prime punching a wall just kept changing reality. That and the sheer ultraviolence on display were the two biggest downsides, although the violence wasn't seen as a bad thing back then

All in all, Infinite Crisis is very "Of it's time". Batman is a paranoid whacko because of Identity Crisis and Tower of Babel stories, Wonder Woman is a killer (and the Amazons have a Purple Death Ray, which got edited out of the Trade), and Superman's just kinda there. It probably helped that it was against Civil War in terms of "yearly events", so there was a lot better feelings towards the story.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Infinite Crisis was mean spirited and full of the edgy grimdark stuff that people were starting to get tired of. Especially coming so soon after Identity Crisis.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It was kinda weird that DC talked about how dark and gloomy things had become in comics. That it was time for heroes to shine and there to be light instead of all these dark depressing things.

And then proceeded to produce some of the most goriest and brutal stuff they ever done.

Felt like a disconnect happening.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Final Crisis was very much a critique of all that stuff and I believe it was Morrison trying to move DC past all of it.

Then Blackest Night came out like right afterwards and it showed the message did not take.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Last Call posted:

It was kinda weird that DC talked about how dark and gloomy things had become in comics. That it was time for heroes to shine and there to be light instead of all these dark depressing things.

And then proceeded to produce some of the most goriest and brutal stuff they ever done.

Superboy Prime murdering and maiming half the Teen Titans, was so unintentionally hilarious. Especially when he complained and whined about it.

Where's Edited Crisis #4 when you really need it?

The disconnect and absolute lunacy was having Johns make a sequel to Watchmen, and people at DC thinking that it was a good idea.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

The disconnect and absolute lunacy was having Johns make a sequel to Watchmen, and people at DC thinking that it was a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAfUWSEUu_A

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Last Call posted:

I remember thinking that surely "Brightest Day" being named that and posited as the new dawn after Blackest Night meant that BD would be an optimistic and uplifting event lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's always been odd Johns will talk for ages about how hopped up he is on Silver Age stuff but then to produce things that would make the worst Iron Age excesses blush.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Geoff Johns has literally made a career out of writing dark and violent poo poo and then writing an event where the moral is "comics have gotten too dark and violent, they need to be brighter and more hopeful" as if he isn't the one who wrote the dark and violent stories he's critiquing.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Remember when grown up Titan risk had his arm ripped off by SBP, then Johns wrote in TT that it had been so traumatic it made him a villain against the Titans, only during Sinestro Corps War, he pops up again to try and fight SBP, only to get the OTHER arm ripped off? Is that how that happened? Pretty sure it was in the middle of his fight against Sodam Yat.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Sometimes you just gotta rip an arm off. Oldest trick in the book.

I still think about the scene in Brightest Day (?) where Black Manta has been living peacefully, and Aquaman comes on the TV at the fish house he works at. Just casually kills everyone in the building with a knife. Presumably for some reason?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Sometimes you just gotta rip an arm off. Oldest trick in the book.

I still think about the scene in Brightest Day (?) where Black Manta has been living peacefully, and Aquaman comes on the TV at the fish house he works at. Just casually kills everyone in the building with a knife. Presumably for some reason?

IIRC, this came only an issue or two before (or possibly after, I can't be bothered to remember that specifically) a scene where an evil Martian kills an entire human family after finding out that J'onn is alive again.

If Johns had more self-awareness, this could have worked as an absurdist running gag satirizing the excesses of grimdark superhero comics, but obviously he didn't and I don't think it happened more than those two times anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did Johns have Wonder Dog maul Marvin and Wendy or was that during the 'editorial is writing the book' period which might amount to the same thing?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That was after. I don’t remember anything too dark happening in his Teen Titans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not super dark on the scale of things, but Bart gets his leg broken and they have to repeatedly re-break it to set it properly since he healed so fast.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dawgstar posted:

Did Johns have Wonder Dog maul Marvin and Wendy or was that during the 'editorial is writing the book' period which might amount to the same thing?

Not sure if it was Johns but didn't Marvin die from that with Wendy becoming traumatized for the whole thing?

A similar thing happened with Osiris and Isis, remember them? They had a cowardly gator guy following them around since they saved him. Turns out he was one of the Horsemen of the Apoclypse(not that one), and in a comic reveals he's evil by eating Osiris. Straight from bumbling goofy gator man to pure evil I'm going to eat you. That might have happened in Countdown? Or 52? Forget who wrote that one.

Fun fact, for awhile you could get name dropped in the GL comics. All you had to do was use your real name on the Geoff John forum. If lucky you got picked. One of the people chosen for this was a girl, her character in an issue gets torn apart in a extremely brutal scene on the beach by a character that was King Shark or another Shark Man Guy character. Some time after this she stopped reading his books and he got pissy with her about it.

Darth Nat posted:

Geoff Johns has literally made a career out of writing dark and violent poo poo and then writing an event where the moral is "comics have gotten too dark and violent, they need to be brighter and more hopeful" as if he isn't the one who wrote the dark and violent stories he's critiquing.

Pretty much. It was weird seeing them talking and preaching about how dark and gloomy things got, that it took away from comics and they wanted to move past that, yet they were the ones doing it! And were doing it to a greater degree than any other.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Last Call posted:

A similar thing happened with Osiris and Isis, remember them? They had a cowardly gator guy following them around since they saved him. Turns out he was one of the Horsemen of the Apoclypse(not that one), and in a comic reveals he's evil by eating Osiris. Straight from bumbling goofy gator man to pure evil I'm going to eat you. That might have happened in Countdown? Or 52? Forget who wrote that one.

That was 52. So I forget who was exactly responsible for that. I think I remember someone said Johns did most of the Black Adam story, but I know 52 was a multi-author tale so I don't know how much you can really pin on him.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Not super dark on the scale of things, but Bart gets his leg broken and they have to repeatedly re-break it to set it properly since he healed so fast.

Deathstroke shoots up Bart's knee and in the same issue decides to take on the mantle of Kid Flash.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jiro posted:

Deathstroke shoots up Bart's knee and in the same issue decides to take on the mantle of Kid Flash.

That's what it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
deathstroke seems a little old to be calling himself kid flash