Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

C-Euro posted:

It helps me because none of my IRL friends are as terminally online as me, so I can launder jokes taken from SA and Twitter and appear way funnier than I actually am.

Also I don't know what the "obvious" joke is here.

Since I got time on the train to make this…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

C-Euro posted:

It helps me because none of my IRL friends are as terminally online as me, so I can launder jokes taken from SA and Twitter and appear way funnier than I actually am.

I do this constantly

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
We surprised our son with tickets to see AJR last night. They're his favorite band at the moment and we all had a good time staying out late on a school night. They put on a really fun show and he briefly dozed off midway through the set then rallied.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

C-Euro posted:

Also I don't know what the "obvious" joke is here.

I do this despite because a bunch of my IRL friends being goons

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

I would be concerned with stolen valor accusations...... :ohdear:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I hate how dark everything produced today is. It’s near impossible for me to watch TV during the day because my living room gets a ton of light.

Or my tv sucks idk

e: there are some things I can see just fine. It has to be bright though

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Joey Freshwater posted:

I hate how dark everything produced today is. It’s near impossible for me to watch TV during the day because my living room gets a ton of light.

Or my tv sucks idk

This came up recently in the Star Wars thread during the last season of Bad Batch. Short version is some shows are being edited on super expensive monitors so they look great there, but not on anything an average person is likely to have:

Vintersorg posted:

It happened again with House of the Dragon. There was a nighttime beach scene and some people couldn't see poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83SXcguwBU

This guy is cool and goes into it (11 minutes).

The gist is that they are basically mastering these on like $10,000 screens and it doesn't translate to consumer OLEDs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I also constantly steal poo poo from TFF to send to my less-online football watching buds.

The Glumslinger posted:

I used to work with a guy who was 100% a goon but I never dared bring it up with him because I used to bitch a lot about coworkers (not him specifically) in the SH/SC tech work threads and I didn't want to get busted lol. He immediately identified and used all the SA emojis in our company Slack, and his hobbies were video games, D&D, and painting Warhammer miniatures. I've never been more certain of anything.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it continues to be super hilarious that my very large, serious business corporate slack is festooned with SA-originated emojis
there's like 100 variations on the parrot guy, all the old classics are in there, all kinds of inappropriate stuff, and I guess nobody cares enough to remove any of it

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Joey Freshwater posted:

Or my tv sucks idk

That’s why I really have enjoyed Lower Decks, because they’ve even been making loving Star Trek dark (Discovery, Picard, etc., and Star Trek used to be my optimistic Sci Fi fandom).

So of course Paramount is loving canceling it.

Edit: Oh I’m dumb, you meant literally dark, as in hard to see.

Yeah, that sucks too.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

harperdc posted:

X-Men ‘97 might as well be subtitled “oh yeah, we’re doing that one too”

loving hell

DUDE FOR REAL

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Canned Sunshine posted:

That’s why I really have enjoyed Lower Decks, because they’ve even been making loving Star Trek dark (Discovery, Picard, etc., and Star Trek used to be my optimistic Sci Fi fandom).

So of course Paramount is loving canceling it.

Edit: Oh I’m dumb, you meant literally dark, as in hard to see.

Yeah, that sucks too.

Prodigy is a great show and more people should watch it

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Still remembering the goon who came up to me while I was reading "My Tank IS Fight" in class. I got up and moved immediately and sat next to a hot girl, as if to ward him away. That was back before I knew anyone cool though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In line for the Mario Kart ride at Universal Studios. Sadly the ride needs maintenance. Super Nintendo World is cool though!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

RIP Steve Albini. He was an rear end in a top hat for a long time, but I think he tried to get better the last few years.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Regarding the fantasy book chat, I wanted to recommend the Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch. The first installment is The Lies of Locke Lamora. I've enjoyed all 3 in the series so far quite a bit.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

For fantasy chat, I realize I am ages late on this but I finally started on Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive this year. Guess I've got my reading laid out for the next loving decade. Something like 5000 pages so far and the series isn't remotely done lol. I've read and enjoyed most of his shorter stuff but only recently took the plunge into the magnum opus. I like it so far but my god does it move slow. I've been reading for a month and I feel like nothing has happened beyond basic setup and worldbuilding. I am ready for some poo poo to go down.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Regarding the fantasy book chat, I wanted to recommend the Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch. The first installment is The Lies of Locke Lamora. I've enjoyed all 3 in the series so far quite a bit.

I couldn't get into this series though I don't remember why. I must still have it on my Kindle somewhere, maybe if I need a break from Sanderson I'll give it another shot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

RIP Steve Albini. He was an rear end in a top hat for a long time, but I think he tried to get better the last few years.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hell I'm still saying that to my wife, and we're both closer to 40 than 30, nevermind 20.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

checks out

i don't have any connections anymore but i'm always nostalgic :ninja:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I may have asked in this thread before, but do any of you have a whole home generator that runs on natural gas? I’ve gotten three quotes and the best one is a 22kw Generac for $11,600 turnkey installed with a 10 year warranty. The only thing I’d have to do is call my utilities and upgrade my gas meter for $400-600.

So far, everyone I know around here loves them. This last storm last month where we were without power for 36 hours finally made me break down and get quotes. I’ve gotten Generac and Kohler quotes, from what I can tell, it mainly comes down to who services your stuff as the equipment is mostly reliable.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

We moved on from our old gas generator to batteries since we installed solar but I might be able to dig up old documentation or receipts? My mom is a pack rat, I'm sure there's something somewhere heh

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I enjoyed most of the first book but the climax and denouement soured me on it. So I did not read the next two books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a neat cape posted:

I was just going say that. I think it was probably you who recommended it in this thread a while back and I wanted to thank you for it.

harperdc posted:

loving hell

Oh god, I sorta wonder what it's like for people who don't have nostalgia, but it's amazing having a show that seems to be made explicitly for me.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I tweaked something in my lower back today doing hack squats and I am extremely mad about it.

Hoping whatever the gently caress I've done doesn't linger forever.

Also adding that fantasy series to my next at bat when I finish this Sci fi one.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
20kw diesel by… Generac with transfer switch. Pretty popular company. It’s a diesel or propane but has 20 gallon tank of diesel and I’ve got like 5 propane tanks from my grill always full.

I had the pad and connection already from an old generator and got this for $4500 with Generac factory warranty

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Amy Pole Her posted:

20kw diesel by… Generac with transfer switch. Pretty popular company. It’s a diesel or propane but has 20 gallon tank of diesel and I’ve got like 5 propane tanks from my grill always full.

I had the pad and connection already from an old generator and got this for $4500 with Generac factory warranty

That's insanely good deal, assuming your house remains intact and above water, hurricanes won't be a thing. Just get ready for houseguests lol.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Amy Pole Her posted:

Not bad at all.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

BlindSite posted:

I tweaked something in my lower back today doing hack squats and I am extremely mad about it.

Hoping whatever the gently caress I've done doesn't linger forever.

Also adding that fantasy series to my next at bat when I finish this Sci fi one.

You could try google "McGill Big 3', it fixed my problem where I'd put my back out like twice a year and be useless for a week each time.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

You could try google "McGill Big 3', it fixed my problem where I'd put my back out like twice a year and be useless for a week each time.

I'll check it out. Appreciate it. I cut my lifting short and did a bunch of stretching and minor core stuff that felt like it freed things up.

Sitting in my car before work it doesn't feel too bad. Just dreading that twinge you get when something is a trip to a physio or doctor but hoping a lot I just compressed a nerve or something stupid. Felt like lightning just bloomed in my lower back but felt ok stripping plates off after.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

seiferguy posted:

In line for the Mario Kart ride at Universal Studios. Sadly the ride needs maintenance. Super Nintendo World is cool though!

I'm waving out the window at you

you picked a gorgeous day! (mmm in the shade though)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://x.com/hiiipowers/status/1788266971521270031

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/variety/status/1788328172481552627?s=46

cable is indeed back

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

I mean, I already subscribe to all 3, but I also bought yearly plans to make it cheaper on top of Amex giving some money back to make it even cheaper.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

swickles posted:

That's insanely good deal, assuming your house remains intact and above water, hurricanes won't be a thing. Just get ready for houseguests lol.

FPL employees got 20% off the lowest price when they bought Jupiter Tequesta AC and they hooked it up.

The extended warranty was another $900 on top of that so $5400 overall with 7 year warranty.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

harperdc posted:

loving hell

Haven't watched this week's episode yet, but last week's was crazy

I hope Magneto Continues to be Right

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I went to a fight and a Bruins game broke out

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Docjowles posted:

I went to a fight and a Bruins game broke out

https://x.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1788387931410801035

this third period has been amazing and I'm loving every second of it

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

a neat cape posted:

That's true, I forgot Prodigy. I'm hoping Netflix gives it a 3rd season (and that they also pick up Lower Decks for more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

I may have asked in this thread before, but do any of you have a whole home generator that runs on natural gas? I’ve gotten three quotes and the best one is a 22kw Generac for $11,600 turnkey installed with a 10 year warranty. The only thing I’d have to do is call my utilities and upgrade my gas meter for $400-600.

So far, everyone I know around here loves them. This last storm last month where we were without power for 36 hours finally made me break down and get quotes. I’ve gotten Generac and Kohler quotes, from what I can tell, it mainly comes down to who services your stuff as the equipment is mostly reliable.

Dumb question that you probably already previously clarified, but any reason you're going for gas over diesel for it?