Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Its like the end of a found footage horror film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

oh god it's like an adorable cloverfield

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That second one is "trying to take a picture of your pet bird" defined.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Yeah they're definitely way less scared when there's more than one. Usually with potential Cockatiel Death Devices Ellie and Anaïs will hang back while Archer courageously investigates before warking to the other two that "Hey this broom is totally awesome and OMG THERE ARE PELLETS ON THE FLOOR!" :derptiel:

Steve takes a lot of cues from Ohtori in that respect, but he'll also do loving baffling poo poo-like be afraid of a new rope perch if it's outside of his cage, but anything that's in his cage is cool. Useful that he's not frightened of new things if you put them in while he's not in there, they obviously were there all along. But then he'll try and fight the hoover while it's turned on and loud and terrifying because gently caress You I guess?

Before spotting camera
After spotting camera

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Potato/budgie update, came home from work and Oscar was singing to Daisy, both birds were at the sides of their cages closest to each other, pacing back and forth.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
I fell last Friday chasing my nephew and busted up my knee badly. I'm in a soft brace that goes from ankle to my thigh. This has led to me laying on my bed a lot and watching tv. The birds think this is great because they're constantly out since I can't really leave the house.

Fry has learned to love fresh foods from watching Slim eat. So now he has a combo of fresh fruits and veggies twice a day along with a dish of pellets to snack on when he wants to. Fry has been doing the conure strut across my pillow all afternoon as if he's guarding me. He's also been singing me the song of his people and occasionally whispering "pretty bird" in my ear. In other news, after almost 2 years he knows his name is Fry!!

Tonight they had broccoli tops, sweet potato, chickpeas, basmati rice, sprouts and fresh peaches for dinner. I might have some cereal after they go to bed (they eat better than I do).

I made Slimbird new toys today and rotated out some of the baby toys my friend gave me, so she's quite content. She still waddles over to check on me every so often. I let her on the bed since she usually poops on the way over lol - she refuses potty training (the ekkie rescue owners said they can't potty train theirs either, so weird cause Fry got it down in two weeks). She gets on the bed and climbs around looking for trouble to get into or make. Sometimes she squeezes herself almost burrowing under me and proceeds to scratch her feet like a chicken. I don't know what that's about.

This morning she tried to bathe herself in her water bowl, so I coaxed her out and gave her a shower which she enjoyed with her wings spread wide!

I'm currently waiting to hear from the rescue that they've finished building out the new indoor aviary, but it's kinda bittersweet. I love Slimbird, but I firmly believe she needs more room and other birds her size. Fry is content with just me.

Did y'all know ekkies don't mate for life? They just mate w everybirdy. Swingers of the bird world.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Bad breath update: there was absolutely no smell when I woke him up this morning or before I went to work. I caught a whiff of it just now, though, immediately after he ate his pellets(Harrison's). His poops are still a little watery/strains occasionally but aside from that I'm not really worried.

A veggie question, too: are bush beans generally safe for birds? I grow Dragon Tongue bush beans in my garden and have approximately four pounds of them. They cook like you would string/green beans, in-pod, so I assume the answer is yes but I wanted to see what some of you guys thought. I'm also growing Chinese noodle beans too.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

I would be careful with legumes in general. I'd hunt around to see if any bird nerds say they specifically won't hurt your bird.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I found an adorable gifv and wanted to make it capable of being posted inline.

Source video has even more excited bobbing.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I have Captain Bitey McAfee currently ensconced in my cleavage. This is literally me irl right now:

Birb is the best, I love birb :kimchi:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
That would be a very good shirt for keeping birds in. They could poke their tiny heads out of the keyhole bit and everything :3:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is that not uncomfortable as hell? I mean I don't have boobs but like claws and nipples even on a man hurts.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Is that not uncomfortable as hell? I mean I don't have boobs but like claws and nipples even on a man hurts.

Birb is probably braced again her bra's underwire. Birb also likely uses the shirt for nibbles instead of boob flesh. Also birb is small and soft, look at the face. Shhh, just birb now.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Alexis does that under my tshirts (and button-ups) against my bare chest and doesn't scratch me at all, and I don't have boobs for her to wedge between either.

Since my skin doesn't have anything to grab onto she just keeps her back against my skin and uses the fabric to move herself around.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Someone got me a gang tag, here is chestbirb to say thanks

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'd imagine most women have bras for additional protection, plus if birb is shoved in between them in the middle most little birbs wouldn't be able to reach far enough to grab a nipple

And yeah they don't use the skin to climb around, so they have their back to skin and claws on fabric, and just teleport about that way

Eejit posted:

Ahhh he's so fluffy

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Eejit posted:

HE'S SO FLUFFY I WANT TO DIE

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

LOOK AT THAT loving BEAK

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Eejit posted:

your bird looks like a cat :v:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

mikerock posted:

LOOK AT THAT loving BEAK

Yeah, the hook part on the upper mandible is actually a bit overgrown. I'd be happy to dremmel it myself, but I think we'll just wait until the next vet visit since it isn't inhibiting him in any way. Also there's a decent chance he'll grind it down anyway on some of the new toys we put in his cage.

Antoine Silvere posted:

your bird looks like a cat :v:

I think we could pass him off as a small cat if we glued some whiskers to his beak :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Another new dinosaur was discovered -- I'm sure everybody here already knew that most, if not all, dinosaurs had proto-bird features like pygostyles, pectoral girdles, and/or quill stubs or feathers, but the new discovery is pretty significant. Its name means "Zhenyuan's dragon," and it had short arms with fully developed wings, long tail plumes, and evidence of more dense feathering along other parts of the integument. The feathers are much more complex than had previously been imagined for dinosaurs of its era. It's a new genus and species to add to the already-impressive collection of dinosaurs that have been confirmed as feathered avian ancestors, and also indicates that short- and long-armed raptors coexisted. If I'm not misremembering, prior theories placed the short-armed raptors as having evolved from long-armed ones on their way into becoming modern birds.

Anyway, have a couple articles, and a link to the scientific paper :goshawk:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33510288
http://gizmodo.com/velociraptors-feathered-cousin-is-the-stuff-of-drug-inf-1718541303
http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/150716/srep11775/full/srep11775.html

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ahhh that's so loving cool and it has an appropriately awesome name, thanks! Reading on tablet so may have missed it, but is the crest of feathers on its head in the illustration artistic liberty or does it actually mention such somewhere?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ahhh that's so loving cool and it has an appropriately awesome name, thanks! Reading on tablet so may have missed it, but is the crest of feathers on its head in the illustration artistic liberty or does it actually mention such somewhere?

It's mentioned in the paper, yes!

quote:

Small regions of feathery integument are also visible above the back and in front of the neck (Fig. 4C). These regions are very poorly preserved but do contain small, simple filaments that are less than one millimeter thick and at most 30 millimeters long.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Thank you! It makes me want to maybe try drawing one, with cockatiel/cockatoo markings :v:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Potatosaur :3: That is so cool

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I just took a brief video of Amadeus which Mizuti converted to gifs for me since she is awesome :3: He was upset since picking up my phone to film meant the quality of the scritches he was receiving sharply dropped, but letting go of my other hand was apparently not an option

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What an affectionate little guy :3:

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Wanna scritch dat birb. Amadeus rules.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Is he friendly towards strangers too? Or is it mostly just you? :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Is he friendly towards strangers too? Or is it mostly just you? :3:

He's wary of new people at first but when he sees that I'm enjoying their company he wants to be included too. :3: He took a shine to both of my sisters the last time they visited.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

He's wary of new people at first but when he sees that I'm enjoying their company he wants to be included too. :3: He took a shine to both of my sisters the last time they visited.

I've read that a lot of bird bonding behavior sometimes leads to them being accepting of strangers if they feel like they're part of the "flock", but that they can be challenging of their person's romantic partners because they feel that their bond is being challenged. Is there any truth to that, or is that some weird bird person confirmation bias thing?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

NeurosisHead posted:

I've read that a lot of bird bonding behavior sometimes leads to them being accepting of strangers if they feel like they're part of the "flock", but that they can be challenging of their person's romantic partners because they feel that their bond is being challenged. Is there any truth to that, or is that some weird bird person confirmation bias thing?

It depends on the bird and the situation, I think. When I first started dating my current boyfriend Ama would get anxious or aggressive during prolonged physical contact, but four years later he doesn't seem to care. He does want to be "included" -- if the two of us are laughing at something he will laugh too, and if we're in the other room without him it won't be long before there's a buzzing of wings and a conure starts strutting across my shoulders. It's hard to tell how much of it is jealousy and how much is regular clinginess.

e: One territorial thing he does do is make big aggressive dinosaur body movements if my boyfriend is gesturing while talking to me. He stands at the edge of my desk closest to bf and just keeps going for as long as he does. If I'm the one gesturing Ama totally ignores it.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 17, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Kenshin posted:

Alexis does that under my tshirts (and button-ups) against my bare chest and doesn't scratch me at all, and I don't have boobs for her to wedge between either.

Since my skin doesn't have anything to grab onto she just keeps her back against my skin and uses the fabric to move herself around.

Battle Pigeon posted:

I'd imagine most women have bras for additional protection, plus if birb is shoved in between them in the middle most little birbs wouldn't be able to reach far enough to grab a nipple

And yeah they don't use the skin to climb around, so they have their back to skin and claws on fabric, and just teleport about that way

Pretty much this! He uses his claws on my shirt and his back against my sternum or the gore of my bra (that's the little triangular or trapezoidal bit between the cups) and scoots around like that. Sometimes he dives headfirst into my boobs and bites onto the gore to steady himself as he descends, leaving me with a lovely view of his little bird butt. He is small enough that he can usually sit quite happily between my boobs and where the ribcage meets the sternum. If I slouch badly he can comfortably sit on the top of my tummy. I usually wear full coverage bras because I have large boobs and like the contouring they give, so there's usually very little contact between scratchy claws or beaks and breast tissue.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

NeurosisHead posted:

In my experience a lot of birds, like a lot of dogs, will be suspicious with people they don't know, but will calm down once they realise their bonding partner/owner likes them and is friendly with them. If the other person does things like play-fighting or other things that the bird gets confused about and interprets as aggressive (raised voices, large gestures, sex) it may set them off. I've had birds before who get defensive over people shouting at each other playing video games together and gave the perceived aggressor a bite or two, and my dad's big dog gets very distressed if he thinks anyone is "attacking" my uncle who is in a wheelchair.

But then there are some birds and dogs who are just chill with everyone all the time, and some who flip out at anyone even coming near their partner. My dad's sparrow was very aggressive and territorial (because she was 1) a sparrow and 2) spoilt beyond imagination) and very much regarded my dad as her "territory".

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Pretty much this! He uses his claws on my shirt and his back against my sternum or the gore of my bra (that's the little triangular or trapezoidal bit between the cups) and scoots around like that. Sometimes he dives headfirst into my boobs and bites onto the gore to steady himself as he descends, leaving me with a lovely view of his little bird butt. He is small enough that he can usually sit quite happily between my boobs and where the ribcage meets the sternum. If I slouch badly he can comfortably sit on the top of my tummy. I usually wear full coverage bras because I have large boobs and like the contouring they give, so there's usually very little contact between scratchy claws or beaks and breast tissue.

I guess a bra would help a tonne

The single time I let a bird crawl up my long sleeved jumpers she went all the way, came out of my armpit, and gave me a permanent third nipple with her beak.

E: That thing about dogs being defensive as hell is definitely true. When I was a kid, I had a dog called Winky who would bite my dad when he smacked me. She would literally wait to bite him if she heard me crying. She ended up going to the "farm" :(

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 18, 2015

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I think I've found a way to trick Pookie into having a bath! She is incredibly hard to get to bathe since she just does not understand how to wash in a dish and if I mist her she gets cross and runs away. My new technique is to get the mister out, which cues Pookie running up my arm to hide from the horrible water on my shoulder. I then loudly and happily mist my own head and just accidentally mist her at least half of the time.

So far my machiavellian scheme is working - regular bathing is supposed to help with plucking so I'm hoping this will help along with the other changes we've made, I got her a big pile of paper cups and plates to make into chew toys yesterday and so far she's destroyed 2 cups and 1 plate. :D

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Holy poo poo. My grey just flipped the gently caress out. Total instinct fight or flight response.

He was sitting on my computer chair as I computer away like normal. The seat is right by a window. He just flipped out and flew off the chair, landed on the ground, starting running and squealing for some reason. I grab him and make sure he's ok and calm him down. I look at the window and there's a deer right up against the window looking in. The thing must have snuck up on the window and scared the poo poo out of the bird.

Poor guy. I've never seen him react like that :(

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aw jeez, poor bird. Good thing you were there to get him calmed down.

Judah does the same thing sometimes when birds of prey fly in a certain way over the house. It's always one of the hawk species around here and it always kind of fascinates me since he wasn't wild-caught, he was hatched at a breeder in Arizona. He doesn't react to any other wild birds like that, except the yelling mystery birds nesting under our roof, who he yells back at :derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
My dog tried to eat the budgies in their cage at Petco today, but she things that Conures are less food and more entertainment: