Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

kalel posted:

villeneuve was supposed to be involved when it was first announced so I'm wondering how he extricated himself from that mess

It’s essentially a different show now. The originally pitched sisterhood show had a lot of writers and the main director of Chernobyl attached. It was meant to air prior to the second film. Covid caused delays and some of WB’s upper management wanted to change things, in the end the original team all left. It changed to an adaptation of one of Brian Herbert’s books and the new showrunner’s main credits are from some of JJ Abram’s older shows like Alias.

I don’t really have my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It doesn't look as bad as Herbert fils reputation suggests it might be. The movies aren't exactly slavishly devoted to their own (better regarded) source material, so there might be improvements. Mark Strong and Emily Watson are both really good actors too, which could elevate the material.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cognac McCarthy posted:

You've gotta take them on a full stomach, because they work by latching onto fat cells. If your stomach is empty it'll just pass through your system without doing much of anything.
this has very much not been my experience and doesn't sound right to me at all. If you're talking about the fat solubility stuff I think that's just why traces of it remain in your body for so long. Edibles work by getting THC to your liver through very normal digestion, there's no need to attach to anything else... idk I'm not an expert, maybe the level of "empty stomach" you're talking about is far more empty than I normally encounter. because if there is fat needed, I don't think it's like "you have to have eaten a full meal for this to work" levels

I just don't wanna give people the impression that gummies will be weak if you haven't eaten in a few hours or something... I've never encountered an edible simply not working and when I haven't eaten much before hand it tends to be a faster and more intense process

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 15, 2024

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

THC needs to bind to fat when you're making edibles, not eating them.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Cacator posted:

THC needs to bind to fat when you're making edibles, not eating them.

I'm not an expert but it's what the weed shop person told me when I bought gummies there for the first time, and I've certainly noticed they work most predictably after dinner. Maybe it's specific to the gummies since they don't have fat, but it wouldn't apply to, like, a brownie or chocolate or something like that.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

usually when people get absolutely blasted by edibles it's because this

thekeeshman posted:

It's also a question of dosage. Smoking/vaping hits quickly so most people will take hits until they're where they want to be then stop. Edibles take a longer time to kick in and last longer so if you take too large of a dose upfront you're locked in to the ride.

nothing happens for a long time so people eat a whole bag of gummies instead of the 1-2 recommended, or whatever, because nothing's happening, and then in an hour when they kick in they get WAY too high and at that point there's nothing you can do except ride it out having a bad time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also a lot of people taking edibles for the first time don't know how long they take to kick in (about an hour apparently) which can also be variable based on a lot of things; everyone's body is different, after all. The ol' Randy Feltface bit comes to mind.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the black and white section was really cool. and all the designs are very inspired. I dont know why they cant let any shots breathe though, did they really need to cut 4 times just to show Paul walking past the guys with the swords after killing the baron

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I presume all of this is true for spice intake as well

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Since a single “spice coffee” (ie Turkish coffee) was enough to trigger Paul’s prescience I don’t think all that fat binding stuff matters for melange

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And in the movie he gets a contact high in the desert. Spice is potent stuff, and iirc how it's portrayed as working seems closer to hallucinogens or cocaine. As well as, heh, spices, hence why it's almost always shown as being eaten or drunk, only the Navigators have the vaporiser tank setups.

Of course, I'm pretty sure the increasingly clear implication is that what spice actually does is induce mutation, physical and mental. It's a mutagen.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
What do you think it tastes like? It seemed a bit like roasted paprika to me, but then some of the Fremen mean girls were laughing at the Atreides like they were on the Hot Ones challenge so maybe it has a bit more kick

Kopmala
Mar 28, 2024
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

hobbesmaster posted:

To be slightly fair to Frank a bunch of fundamental stuff in molecular biology was published after Dune was written so even his best “grounding” to extrapolate from as an author would look completely wrong.

Remember, genetics and germ theory were hot scifi elements from the late 50s through the 70s. I re-read "I Am Legend" last month, and the biology is hilarious.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Failed Imagineer posted:

What do you think it tastes like? It seemed a bit like roasted paprika to me, but then some of the Fremen mean girls were laughing at the Atreides like they were on the Hot Ones challenge so maybe it has a bit more kick

It's always said to taste like cinnamon in the books.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Oh yeah I remember now, bit weird to be like "too spicy for u, blanco niño?" then, but whatever

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Paul failed the Cinnamon Challenge on HouseTok.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it's said somewhere that it never quite tastes the same way twice. I still reckon it's likely Spice is one of the few things that makes Fremen life bearable.

Remember Paul is a very rare outsider to the Fremen in their home, and that gives significance to every little thing he says and does even before he really starts being their messiah.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lots of vital information on this page for the Dune 3 release, I'm bookmarking it

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kemper Boyd posted:

Paul failed the Cinnamon Challenge on HouseTok.

New thread title please

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

New thread title please

Tbf the current title is a pretty high bar, the narrow path is being tread

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbf the current title is a pretty high bar, the narrow path is being tread

Yeah please don’t change it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

yeah the current title should never change. you could change the title of the gbs one though

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Just got a Lego orinithopter set and dunc 2 in 4k for my birthday :frogc00l:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tenkaris posted:

Just got a Lego orinithopter set and dunc 2 in 4k for my birthday :frogc00l:

Is it the kind you leave on a stand, or the kind you can zoom through the air while making helicopter noises?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

Is it the kind you leave on a stand, or the kind you can zoom through the air while making helicopter noises?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d_h14YPtbg

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Whatever they paid for that thing was worth it for the Baron alone.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
in regards to the dune video game stuff last page, i think that the various Westwood games (and probably other older things) were not adaptations of the novel but adaptations of the Lynch film, which is why they borrowed the aesthetics, invented Ordos, and never really refer to anything that is in the books but not in the film. this is why the Dune adventure game had him look like Kyle Maclachlan because they had the rights to Paul's image as of the movie and why in the Westwood games no canon characters appear (just ones who look like them)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

It's pretty big but you can swap between having the landing gear out or in flying mode with a spring "switch", it's really well designed overall. Can even press down on a button of sorts to make the wings flap, and the minifigs that come with are amazing, especially the Baron flying.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Horizon Burning posted:

in regards to the dune video game stuff last page, i think that the various Westwood games (and probably other older things) were not adaptations of the novel but adaptations of the Lynch film, which is why they borrowed the aesthetics, invented Ordos, and never really refer to anything that is in the books but not in the film. this is why the Dune adventure game had him look like Kyle Maclachlan because they had the rights to Paul's image as of the movie and why in the Westwood games no canon characters appear (just ones who look like them)

I feel more that they just used assets of the movie in places (and somehow had the rights to), and likeness rights were kind of a grab bag- they had Maclachlan and Francesca Annis but other characters look completely different, Feyd Rautha is a reddish-blonde guy but not quite Sting, etc. At the same time the ornithopters are much closer to what's in the book than the more boxlike Lynch version.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel more that they just used assets of the movie in places (and somehow had the rights to), and likeness rights were kind of a grab bag- they had Maclachlan and Francesca Annis but other characters look completely different, Feyd Rautha is a reddish-blonde guy but not quite Sting, etc. At the same time the ornithopters are much closer to what's in the book than the more boxlike Lynch version.

yeah, sting refused to let them use his likeness. i've found some scattered posts saying that westwood's license to adapt was based on adapting the lynch film and its specific depiction of the universe, but without a better breakdown of the exact terms it's hard to determine. the cryo adventure game looks like it was the novel but they chose to change to the film's interpretation late in the process (with paul's appearance in his death animation being his original)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

We on MaX boys!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Goddamnit, fine! I'll get one, this thing has been haunting me since the first time it got linked. Fun project with the kids I hope.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is reaching pretty far back, but I was surprised at the criticism of the Paul/Feyd duel. I think it comes down to what your standards are--it's definitely not a top-notch martial arts sequence or anything, but I don't really expect that from Hollywood. They don't really cast athletes as leading men anymore, and you usually only find the really good stuff in lower-budget and international films with John Wick as the exception that proves the rule.

For a blockbuster film I thought it was a solid display of knife-fighting that didn't look totally goofy. You know how in most movies, when people fight with knives, they have to find excuses to do absolutely anything but fight with the knife. Nonetheless, it looks like another scene where Villeneuve put in one or two subtle references to the Lynch film:

There was a lot of discussion about whether or not Paul and Feyd are even in the same league. I have to agree with those who said the movie didn't build up Feyd as a real threat to Paul before their duel, but I think that was also true of the book. I'm glad that the coliseum scene wasn't just lifted from the book, since it's yet another scene that relies on internal monologues to explain what's happening and why.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just speaking for myself, I didn't really have any problems with it. The actual action in dune and dune 2 isn't groundbreaking or anything, but it serves its purpose. DV is better at (and, i think, because he wants to emphasize) using the slow panning shots from his cinematographers to establish mood and vibes to meet the feel of the novels.* Iirc the book tended to gloss over big action scenes in favor of internal thoughts and personal meaning. The movies doing the same thing are right in line.

*when you have Roger Deakins like in BR2049 or Sicario and his protoge doing the camera work for Dune, I think this is by leaps and bounds the best move you can play.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

for me DUNC and DUNC2 is all about the:

~~vibes~~

and for some reason at least to me these two
movies feel like dreaming while being awake and there are not a lot of movies that make you feel that way, that makes them unique IMHO

aledesma fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 23, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://x.com/variety/status/1793430255488639105?s=46

quote:

“I’ve developed a bit of a reputation for fighting for feminine rage, which is a strange thing, because I’m not promoting violence – but I am promoting women being seen as people. We have reactions that are not always dainty or un-messy.”

She’s going to become Alia.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

aledesma posted:

for me DUNC and DUNC2 is all about the:

~~vibes~~

and for some reason at least to me these two
movies feel like dreaming while being awake and there are not a lot of movies that make you feel that way, that makes them unique IMHO

Yeah the action isn't bad but it's secondary to just bringing the world to life.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
She'd rather take your water than give it

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Halloween Jack posted:

There was a lot of discussion about whether or not Paul and Feyd are even in the same league. I have to agree with those who said the movie didn't build up Feyd as a real threat to Paul before their duel, but I think that was also true of the book. I'm glad that the coliseum scene wasn't just lifted from the book, since it's yet another scene that relies on internal monologues to explain what's happening and why.

I'm kind of surprised people didn't like the Paul/Feyd showdown, I think it's probably the best hand to hand fight across both movies, with the Geidi arena and maybe Gurney leading the charge against the Harkonnens as close contenders. It's very scrappy and direct and you never get the sense that Paul is toying with Feyd or deliberately stalling the way he did with Jamis. Feyd and Paul are both pushing for fatal openings at every point of contact and there are a few moments where Feyd's brutality clearly gives him the edge (until his sadism distracts him).

Agree that they probably needed to build up Feyd a little more, but it's also not super clear just what the Water of Life did to Paul in terms of physical prowess either. The movie never goes into how much he levels up as a precognitive so the book stuff about seeing all the moves in advance is also less relevant. The Bene Gesserit consider Feyd as a viable backup KH to Paul, which is meant to help sell the audience on his potential lethality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of it comes down to how with five seconds thought, there's no such thing as a graceful or pretty knife duel, and they know that and lean into it.