Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyone got tips for hawks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Seems like feeding them would get really expensive and time consuming and I don't think they lay that many eggs.

Oh. You mean keeping them from eating your chickens.

Wire mesh over the top of the chicken area, or lots of bushes and other places for your chooks to hide under and accept that you might still lose the occasional slow/oblivious one.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
hawks are the devil. my gentle friend who keeps chickens and peacocks in the red desert, back when i was first getting into poultry and he gave me some eggs to hatch, he said that anything taken by a bird of prey is "a donation to wildlife". i've kept that in mind ever since. hawks hunt primarily from the air, so heavy-duty roofing on the cages and plenty of foliage cover for free-rangers is a step in the right direction, but they're also extremely smart and can fit through small gaps and coordinate surprisingly well in enclosed spaces, so if they're determined and you're living in their hunting grounds, sometimes you will lose a bird :( i kind of just ended up accepting that being killed by a hawk was one of the best deaths for a chicken, as far as speed and unexpectedness of demise go

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I don't know anything about art photography but to me the composition in this one is amazing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

fauna posted:

hawks are the devil. my gentle friend who keeps chickens and peacocks in the red desert, back when i was first getting into poultry and he gave me some eggs to hatch, he said that anything taken by a bird of prey is "a donation to wildlife". i've kept that in mind ever since. hawks hunt primarily from the air, so heavy-duty roofing on the cages and plenty of foliage cover for free-rangers is a step in the right direction, but they're also extremely smart and can fit through small gaps and coordinate surprisingly well in enclosed spaces, so if they're determined and you're living in their hunting grounds, sometimes you will lose a bird :( i kind of just ended up accepting that being killed by a hawk was one of the best deaths for a chicken, as far as speed and unexpectedness of demise go

Not a chicken, but that reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H173WxgvrhE

I love ducklings, but I found a bit of humor in the idea that this kid will never listen to his mother again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

fauna posted:

anything taken by a bird of prey is "a donation to wildlife".
gently caress that.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

gently caress that.
lol, that was my initial response too. but over time i realised that birds of prey are smarter than i am, they have children to feed, and the only way to completely prevent losses is to exterminate them from the area (don't do this), so it really has helped me accept the situation in my heart

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My initial response was screaming, my second response was stabbing, my third response was throwing a rock and now I'm in the market for a shotgun.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Halloween Jack posted:

My initial response was screaming, my second response was stabbing, my third response was throwing a rock and now I'm in the market for a shotgun.

God I would pity any animal that decided to mess with my flock.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

if you must attack the hawk, keep throwing rocks at it, it'll learn

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

fauna posted:

if you must attack the hawk, keep throwing rocks at it, it'll learn

Nah. Kill it, then nail its corpse to the coop as a warning to the other hawks. Let them understand that they do not want to mess with you because you are a badass mother-flocker.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Don't kill hawks.

If you're in the US, they are federally protected, and it's also illegal to harm raptors in most other countries.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Everyone posted:

Nah. Kill it, then nail its corpse to the coop as a warning to the other hawks. Let them understand that they do not want to mess with you because you are a badass mother-flocker.
if you kill the hawks, your ducklings will be assailed by rats and mice that the hawks would otherwise keep under control :(

in quail news, the feathering has begun and it is hilarious how suddenly they change from yellow cherubs to teenage gangledorks

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i'm raising the chicks in a windowless room so until now they've been in 100% light (either electric or sunlight) or 100% darkness. now i'm having to teach them how to accept natural twilight, where before they're ready to sleep they can see a little bit but not enough to forage by, and they're getting really unreasonably upset about it. every five minutes or so for the past hour the PII PII PII PII PII PII starts up and i have to let them shriek until they calm themselves down and then go in there to make sure nobody's managed to drown in the water dish

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Oh man, that Guinea fowl video.

At a zoo I volunteer at, a huge storm crushed alot of enclosures, one had peacocks and Guinea fowl

I helped round up all the peacocks, but the Guinea fowl proved to be too difficult

They are still free roaming a year later.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Kharnifex posted:

Oh man, that Guinea fowl video.

At a zoo I volunteer at, a huge storm crushed alot of enclosures, one had peacocks and Guinea fowl

I helped round up all the peacocks, but the Guinea fowl proved to be too difficult

They are still free roaming a year later.
i lost a guinea fowl in the top of a pine tree just out of gulgong, time was tight so realising i was never going to get her back i fetched a male and released him too so she'd have some company and a better chance of survival. also alerted all the surrounding landowners that they might soon have two spectacular new additions to their flock. they all seemed quite excited, i hope the pair made it to a new home

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Well, since they roost up high, it means they've outlived so many chickens who got foxed

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Don't kill birds of prey (raptors).

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Shifty Nipples posted:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

Only do if you're being attacked by them and you have no escape.

Otherwise, have guard animals/decoys.

I don't know if Dangerchicken is going to make it through the night but I'm working on her. She's worm-free, cocci-free, blockage-free, and isn't in lay at the moment so that knocks out a whole round of other issues. No puncture wounds, no visible issues, no bruising, no pecking. Tube fed her and hated it. Her heart sounds fine, her lungs sound fine, gut noises are normal. So I'm treating her for botulism because I gave them some old cans of stuff. They were within expiration but they were getting pretty close and I'm wondering if one was off a bit. She's a very decent lakenvelder with the heart of a lion and the brain of a fish, but she's a decent bird. I'd like her to stick around.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Best wishes for the DC.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Only do if you're being attacked by them and you have no escape.

Yeah, I would feel really bad about it but if an eagle or something was shredding my head apart I'd probably try to thwack it against the ground.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I know this isn’t the parrot thread, but one time my flightless cockatiel got tackled by a territorial pigeon.

That pigeon got his rear end slapped into the middle of next year. Sorry, pigeon, that’s the rules.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://twitter.com/BlairBraverman/status/861605481743306753

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

it's actually cool knowing my hens' breeding and knowing which hen laid which chick, because from my brief association with their breeders i know hot chip was definitely bred for meat/egg production (so, maturing as early as possible but still healthy enough to provide good meat), frida quailo was bred, if anything, for docility, and of course felafel was bred for strength of personality. the chip's three chicks, who may actually all be hens (i have my suspicions about quiche) have grown like twice as fast as frida's single boy

this is the chips

and this is friday (exact same moment, you can see the chips in the background)

he is also far tamer than them, they're already nervous about being handled but he will still sleep in my hands listening to human conversation and is the only chick i've ever had that cries to be picked up. it's hard to tell with quail chicks, i might find him randomly dead at any moment, but as far as i can tell he's completely healthy, he's developing normally, just more slowly than the chips. he was hatched about eight hours later than they were, which can't account for the sheer difference in growth rate, and with slightly broken toes that have since healed and flattened completely and don't affect his gait at all. the two groups of chicks are almost different species, it's so strange

bonus powerful frida, weirder by the day

i love these stupid things

fauna fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 30, 2019

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

I'm betting on 3 cocks.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Kharnifex posted:

I'm betting on 3 cocks.
knowing my luck i've got four lol

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'll take "phrases that would be hilarious out of context" for 200, Alex

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

The crows in my neighborhood are fuckin' brutal when a hawk comes around. They all gang up and just beat the poo poo of them mid-air, it's crazy to watch.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

well, danger is still hanging on. Hellion, the head roo, escaped when I opened the door this morning. He flew wildly up in a tree. Came down a couple hours later into the waiting mouths of the dogs.

Dude is totally fine. Not a single scratch on him. He judokicked everything. The dogs ran. Also gave me a chance to trim his spurs down because jesus christ they were 50 ft long.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ghostnuke posted:

The crows in my neighborhood are fuckin' brutal when a hawk comes around. They all gang up and just beat the poo poo of them mid-air, it's crazy to watch.

Our local crows and gulls all join together when a heron flys in, for some reason no one likes herons.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Herons, egrets etc, are baby gobblers, they'll eat anything that moves they think they can get down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX-uEFkO2HI

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kharnifex posted:

Herons, egrets etc, are baby gobblers, they'll eat anything that moves they think they can get down.

I should be concerned by this and yet I'm not because this story gives us the definition of lucky ducky

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

get well soon dangerbird

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Hellion, the head roo, escaped when I opened the door this morning. He flew wildly up in a tree. Came down a couple hours later into the waiting mouths of the dogs.

Dude is totally fine. Not a single scratch on him. He judokicked everything. The dogs ran. Also gave me a chance to trim his spurs down because jesus christ they were 50 ft long.
lmao :allears:

do you have a photo of this powerful man?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Kharnifex posted:

Kookaburras are carnivorous predators who most love to eat baby birds and eggs and will happily kill smaller birds to get at the delicious content of their nests. During breeding season all the other birds will beat up invading kookaburras for this reason.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i love birds because they are beautiful, and also in part because they operate complete outside of human morality in such a direct way

J U S T E A T

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

thanks to a generous friend i now have two pre-loved hutches, so the quail have had an upgrade in living conditions. the chicks are still in the brooder box except for their daily adventure, but the adults have established authority over my new improved indoor-outdoor quail area. hot chip in particular seems very happy to be in a two-storey coop where she can escape the horny eye of felafel

frida and hot chip are now safe to be allowed near the chicks. felafel still thinks they're food

fauna fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 3, 2019

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, it seems unfortunately some chickens and quails confuse chick toes for mealworms

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Kharnifex posted:

Yeah, it seems unfortunately some chickens and quails confuse chick toes for mealworms
there was an amazing 24 hours after the chicks learnt to peck at anything that moved in the grass when they kept pecking at each others' delicious pink toes and getting flustered

friday is still only half the size of the other three but there has been absolutely no bullying or aggression of any kind, which is always good

fauna fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

That's good, you'll have a swarm in no time