Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I have a newbie question, when I'm home both cages are open, frequently Oscar will go in daisy's cage or vice versa, when it's bedtime I put them in their respective cages, and they sleep as close together as possible. Daisy's cage is big enough for both of them. Would it be okay to try them out in it together for a night? So far they've never gotten into any disputes, they share food and treats when they're together without issue as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Tendai posted:

Why just get a cockatiel when you can have a whole budgie train?

Oh hey, it's got a conure conductor.

I found some great cockatoo tantrums and wanted to share.

Max wants a divorce!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6HyqGRSVxc

I considered giffing this, but his indignant squeals make it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

Max wants a divorce!

I love Max, it's so cool to see a cockatoo that seems as well adjusted and happy (if grumbly) as he is.

And holy poo poo that cockatiel.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Mizuti posted:

Oh hey, it's got a conure conductor.

I found some great cockatoo tantrums and wanted to share.

Max wants a divorce!

I find it difficult to take Max seriously when he's hanging upside down from a chair

edit: here's Ruby at her best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmvfOByc2bI

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 21, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

Judah is baffled even by me wrapping a piece of millet in bird-safe shredding stuff, even if he watches me do it. He'll stand there and look at it basically like this:

:derptiel: "????"

He knows there's millet somewhere involved and there's a new thing in his cage but putting the two together never happens even if I start tearing it for him.

What if you wrap like a spiral of paper around it, so it's half showing, and then gradually cover more and more of it up

I mean in theory, we all know what will happen in actuality :derptiel:

anotherblownsave posted:

I have a newbie question, when I'm home both cages are open, frequently Oscar will go in daisy's cage or vice versa, when it's bedtime I put them in their respective cages, and they sleep as close together as possible. Daisy's cage is big enough for both of them. Would it be okay to try them out in it together for a night? So far they've never gotten into any disputes, they share food and treats when they're together without issue as well.

Well first we're going to need evidence that this is even real, you see. It's very important. Don't ask why, just trust. Trust to birb.

If they're physically interacting and not biting or fighting then why not just let them do whatever come bedtime, see where they decide to go? Or let them both in the cage, dim the lights or partly cover it to see where they each decide to sleep and if it goes peacefully.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Here is a picture of Oscar and Daisy sharing Oscar's food.
http://imgur.com/YCJ5Y7R

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh my god that's so cute. Do what Pigeon said, since they're both babies they're probably on a fast track to being best birdie friends.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god look at them they're friends :kimchi:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Oh my god that's so cute. Do what Pigeon said, since they're both babies they're probably on a fast track to being best birdie friends.

Update: Oscar went back in his cage so I closed it assuming he was going to bed. Daisy came out of her cage wondering where Oscar went
http://imgur.com/EWjV6EO

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Battle Pigeon posted:

Anyone bored enough to give any opinions on foraging toys? I want to get a few to try and help keep them busy and make their fortnight boarding at the vet next month less painful. I'm poor so can't just buy them all but it's hard to narrow down what would be best. Things to keep in mind:

Foraging wheel: http://www.northernparrots.com/original-foraging-wheel-interactive-creative-parrot-toy-prod371102/

Didn't look in the thread yesterday but I would not recommend this for a smaller parrot. It's junky and cheap and Albert sheared off a not-insignificant chunk of his beak inside it ~4 months ago. Avoid unless your bird's beak is too big to shove into the hole and it has to gingerly pluck items out.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

anotherblownsave posted:

Update: Oscar went back in his cage so I closed it assuming he was going to bed. Daisy came out of her cage wondering where Oscar went
http://imgur.com/EWjV6EO
"Oh god, she's up there, isn't she. Don't look. I'm asleep."

"HEY BUDDY :derptiel:"

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
My YouTube history is full of Birds Yelling At/About Things and I'm okay with that. I grin like a fool anytime a wild bird at home or work Yells At/About Things, too. Got a young blue jay in a tree near work that is still learning how at feeding time and it is the most terrible and wonderful racket.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wild birds yell about ALL THE THINGS. The Brewer's Blackbirds around here sound like the aliens from Mars Attacks.

Judah, meanwhile, has channeled his inner car alarm all day. In the cage. Out of the cage. Eating. Not eating. In the day. In the evening.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Update on my real estate thing with the snakeproof barriers I put up.

Owner has no issue with the birds being there, which the property manager gave in writing. The manager gave us a breach notice for the screen under fixture laws, which the tenancy board of our state says it isn't. The property manager also gave in writing that the body corporate of the subdivision said we couldn't have it. The chairman of that same body corporate lives on the street, and just told us its not an issue to them whatsoever (so we just caught the manager in a lie here) and is going to give us that in writing. The tenancy board also considers this a breach of quiet enjoyment laws so that property manager now has the potential for a compensation claim if we chose to go down that route. It straight up says in the act that if she violates quite enjoyment, she has to pay compensation, theres no farting about sueing her or anything, she just straight up gets wrecked by the states tenancy board which she must have just assumed we wouldn't spend the 2 minutes control + f searching the tenancy act to find out about.

Shes trying to force us to have the birds way under the rear patio where there will be no sunlight (its actually always dark and damp where she wants them) and no barrier, in the back yard with 2 full grown akitas where they'll be stuck in fear before getting harassed by field mice and the snakes that come with those. She said the owner gives permission for us to have birds in the breach notice, making the breach notice illegal, because shes not allowed to tell us where we can and can not keep them. It would be a different story if they were inside and making GBS threads on the carpeted floors but her issue with the cages themselves is that they are visible from the street which is absolutely retarded. Its not Beverly hills, its a suburb in a cheap and lovely part of Brisbane where people 2 houses down have a mountain of tires on their front lawn.

The same laws also state that we can't ruin the quiet enjoyment of our neighbours properties. Those neighbours have also said the birds aren't an issue, so we are covered for that. :getin:. Last inspection she actually got her nose out of joint that one of the several very tall gumtrees in my neighbours yard had dropped a leafy twig in the gutter while she was inside photographing my travel cage as "proof" the birds were kept in a room with carpet. Thats the type of lady she is. I'm pretty sure its because we went to her boss because she treated us like idiots for 2 months when the stovetop and dishwasher were broken. She told us to read the manuals, the ones she removed and had in her office, yet insisted for months that we had. Similar thing happened with a key to an external door, it was different from the one next to it but according to her we are just too incompetent to unlock it? The key to that door was in her office too.

TLDR don't rent and have birds because jesus loving christ there will always be an issue with it. A fortnight hasn't gone past without this lady trying to cause poo poo. It's literally only her, the owners ok with the birds, the body corporate is ok with the birds and the screen, and we are perfect tenants. Shes just a petty bitch.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 22, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'd get buddy buddy with the board guy and become the property manager... That's the ticket

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SaNChEzZ posted:

I'd get buddy buddy with the board guy and become the property manager... That's the ticket

I don't think it works like that, the street was built into an old farm or something and is a private street type thing, so the body corporate manages and does upkeep on the road etc but in terms of owning lots and renting, you pick a separate real estate agency just like any other street. The property manager is just someone from the real estate as far as I know.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is a bald spot next to the beak something to be concerned about?

E: ohshit yellow gunk in his nose :(

Completely off topic but Crows:
https://www.facebook.com/MetroNorthHHS/photos/a.609187175785214.1073741827.391969740840293/864121823625080/?type=1&fref=nf

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 22, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Is a bald spot next to the beak something to be concerned about?

E: ohshit yellow gunk in his nose :(

Completely off topic but Crows:
https://www.facebook.com/MetroNorthHHS/photos/a.609187175785214.1073741827.391969740840293/864121823625080/?type=1&fref=nf

Man, what a maroon! I'm pretty sure I'm up to date on all my shots, as my GP and psych both love making me get injections and blood tests, the fuckers :argh: I'm glad I'm a student at QUT and not UQ, though.

I've been showing Captain Bitey different video and sound clips of different birds. His reaction to other parrots and non-peachface lovebirds is much the same: squeaking back at them, looking a bit confused. When I play him peach-faced lovebirds, he gets much more excited, tilts his head and hops around and cranes his neck to see if he can find them, all while squeaking very loudly in a much shriller sound. I personally can't tell much difference between peachface and other lovebird squeaks but apparently Captain Bitey can!

My dad has been getting lots of pics of the Grandbirdy and is taking suggestions for his Christmas present list.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

TLDR don't rent and have birds because jesus loving christ there will always be an issue with it. A fortnight hasn't gone past without this lady trying to cause poo poo. It's literally only her, the owners ok with the birds, the body corporate is ok with the birds and the screen, and we are perfect tenants. Shes just a petty bitch.

I've never had a problem with renting with birds. They're considered like snakes or other caged animals and only occasionally do we have to pay a deposit or something. Sounds like you just got the world's shittiest property manager. You might speak to the owner about the ongoing issues you've had with her, because I'm sure he would rather not be represented by someone who treats his tenants like garbage.

I'm glad this is working out for you, even if it is a pain in the rear end.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pile of Kittens posted:

I've never had a problem with renting with birds. They're considered like snakes or other caged animals and only occasionally do we have to pay a deposit or something. Sounds like you just got the world's shittiest property manager. You might speak to the owner about the ongoing issues you've had with her, because I'm sure he would rather not be represented by someone who treats his tenants like garbage.

I'm glad this is working out for you, even if it is a pain in the rear end.

Unfortunately we don't have a direct way to contact the owners, it all goes through her.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Daisy and Oscar spent the night in the same cage without incident :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Grraarrgghh posted:

Didn't look in the thread yesterday but I would not recommend this for a smaller parrot. It's junky and cheap and Albert sheared off a not-insignificant chunk of his beak inside it ~4 months ago. Avoid unless your bird's beak is too big to shove into the hole and it has to gingerly pluck items out.

:stare: Well that's that one off the list. Could you elaborate? What happened, where and how bad was it?

anotherblownsave posted:

Daisy and Oscar spent the night in the same cage without incident :3:

Looks like you've got yourself a pair of little bird buddies after all :3:

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

:stare: Well that's that one off the list. Could you elaborate? What happened, where and how bad was it?

Pretty straight forward.

It's a pretty bad foraging wheel, really all the bird has to do is park it on a wedge-container that contains morsels it likes, and eat it's fill. Even the dumbest parrot can figure it out pretty quick, so it's not like those awesome heart-shaped ones, but rather quite dull. With a smaller parrot, they munch away at all the pellets/seeds/whatnot that is easily obtainable in the opening, and then proceed to wedge their entire beak in to grab food that lies beyond their typical reach. The edges of the opening are diagonally beveled inward, and the internal edge is surprisingly sharp for a plastic product. The bird (in my case, a moderately well-beaked Poi) shoves his face into the hole, grabs something which causes them to open their beak even more, and then attempts to pull/worry/yank the item out, sometimes resulting in chunks of beak being left behind as it scrapes along the internal edge.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Forgive me if I post Max the cockatoo too much, but the faces he makes during vet visits are amazing. What a drama llama.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Mizuti posted:

Forgive me if I post Max the cockatoo too much, but the faces he makes during vet visits are amazing. What a drama llama.

Max the Birb posted:

ahhhhhhhh human i hate u

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh i'm literally die :'( :'( :'(

noooooooo i hate vet :'( :'( :'(

I love Max videos, he is such a lovely cockie and makes the best noises :kimchi:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mizuti posted:

he's so mad

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Auri is fairly dramatic as well and screams bloody murder the entire time while in full panic mode. Alexis, amazingly enough, just resigns herself to the fact that she's stuck being toweled and is mostly quiet while they do what they're doing, aside from the occasional indignant squawk.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mizuti posted:

Pretty sure you could post pages of photos of max pulling funny faces and you would still not post too many.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Because of my ability to be super terrible at names, I can never remember who owns which bird and what species they are.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sekkira posted:

what species they are.

I sort the birds in this thread into a few varieties: green derp, white/yellow derp, big derp, and the occasional orange derp.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sekkira posted:

Because of my ability to be super terrible at names, I can never remember who owns which bird and what species they are.

I tend to remember the birds but forget the people's names :blush:

^^Don't forget the medium-sized-grey-kind-of-derpy-but-also-disconcertingly-smart-birds!^^^

Actually, how many grey have we got now? I think there's 4 - Bo, Hannah, Pearl and Pookie, hope I'm not forgetting anyone :)

Pookah fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 23, 2015

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Cythereal posted:

I sort the birds in this thread into a few varieties: green derp, white/yellow derp, big derp, and the occasional orange derp.

I mean things like I can't remember what type of bird Alexis and Auri are. I don't recall what they look like.

To remedy this, I think this thread should have a rule where every time you mention your bird, you need to say their name and post a picture of them.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Sekkira posted:

I mean things like I can't remember what type of bird Alexis and Auri are. I don't recall what they look like.

To remedy this, I think this thread should have a rule where every time you mention your bird, you need to say their name and post a picture of them.

Alexis is a dusky conure:

Auri is a lilac-crowned amazon:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Captain Bitey McAfee is a baby peach-faced lovebird.

He is vicious and lawless and loves attacking other birds.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I have a blue derp boodge and a yellow derp boodge, named Harajuku and Fujiwara, respectively.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I have yellow and green bully budgie:

And blue and white budding singer-songwriter budgie:

They're called Hubris and Gnosis respectively.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

Albert is an adolescent male(?) Red Bellied Poicephalus Parrot who is a molting scrublord.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
My puffs are Pekoe (yellow) and Milly (white).

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Here is my birb Steve I hope you like my birb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ritz is orange. He's also an rear end in a top hat, this is his pillowcase.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Here is my birb Steve I hope you like my birb.

:golfclap: