Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

well, danger is still hanging on. Hellion, the head roo, escaped when I opened the door this morning. He flew wildly up in a tree. Came down a couple hours later into the waiting mouths of the dogs.

Dude is totally fine. Not a single scratch on him. He judokicked everything. The dogs ran. Also gave me a chance to trim his spurs down because jesus christ they were 50 ft long.

I occasionally house sit for some friends with a bit of acreage and they have about 20 laying hens and a single rooster.

Who's spurs are about an inch and a half long. I kinda just give him an upnod and throw the feed out. The ladies don't bother me except when I steal the eggs when they're broody, but thats just a peck that doesn't really hurt. Sometimes I have some left over cucumbers or zucchini, holy poo poo they devoured the whole thing in a day!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Kharnifex posted:

That's good, you'll have a swarm in no time
absolutely not, i've done the quail-hoarding thing and i'm happy to keep my flock under single digits, it's so much better for the quail and for me. we really get to know each other. anyone who's genuinely going to support themselves and/or make a living from quail meat or eggs finds out drat quickly whether they're capable of it, i know i'm not, so my quail are basically ceremonial

it just makes me so happy to know felafel was hatched and raised in a high school agriculture classroom, he's basically been an object of worship his whole life and he knows it

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

fauna posted:

i'm happy to keep my flock under single digits

w...do you have negative quail? nega-quail? anti-matter quail?

also please rename yourself Ceremonial Quail.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

w...do you have negative quail? nega-quail? anti-matter quail?

haha poo poo, sorry, it's 2am

the ceremonial quail flies itself into the blazing altar and is taken to heaven, blessed stupid thing

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i don't know what changed between yesterday and today, but felafel has finally accepted the chicks as birds, not weird fluffy beetles. he no longer tries to eat them and in fact i caught him feeding qimmy, with whom he seems to have bonded

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

fauna posted:

i don't know what changed between yesterday and today, but felafel has finally accepted the chicks as birds, not weird fluffy beetles. he no longer tries to eat them and in fact i caught him feeding qimmy, with whom he seems to have bonded

let's be honest: they're a little bit of both tho

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Presenting The Gang:

Left to right:
Gray Lady, Chester, Courage, Blizzard, Snowy, Buttercup, Tina

Not pictured / obscured by log in lower right:
Slate

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
They're all so beautiful! :love:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Mozi posted:

Presenting The Gang:

Left to right:

Slate
i love them

the chix are having their first day outside. i put hot chip in the second hutch with them, hoping she wouldn't kill them; the opposite has happened and a friendship seems to be forming

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

fauna posted:

the chix are having their first day outside. i put hot chip in the second hutch with them, hoping she wouldn't kill them; the opposite has happened and a friendship seems to be forming

So adorable!

Mozi posted:

Presenting The Gang:

Left to right:

Slate
Also adorable!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

fauna posted:

i love them

I wouldn't call that a friendship. I'd call that a plot.

A plotting of quails.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I wouldn't call that a friendship. I'd call that a plot.

A plotting of quails.
i was going to say "i think i could out-maneuver even the most sophisticated quail plotting" but then i remembered that hot chip working alone has outwitted me on several occasions. now she has minions

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

you see what i have to put up with

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Oh my God, they're all laying about like lazy little potatoes. I adore them!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Their legs look exactly like the long green noodles that grow out of potatoes when you leave them in a warm stuffy apartment for too long too.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

they are completely unreasonable

i have to keep a close eye on them when they're out of the hutch, they're only just past two weeks old but they are a menace. the hot chiplets can already fly, quetzacoatl did an incredible ascent today with the clear intention of getting over the fence but luckily she is still small with small wings so she could only rise slowly into the air and i easily caught her at ~1.5 metres

they just had their first night outside with hot chip and survived, tonight is slightly colder but i think they'll be fine. they all sleep snuggled together, she doesn't let them get right underneath her but she's very tolerant otherwise. i've caught them standing on her back for extended periods and using her as a springboard to get at moths on the hutch wall. she hasn't adopted them like a broody hen adopts chicks, she doesn't forage for them or actively defend them from predators (the ravens), but she has definitely taken on a non-maternal nurturing role of a kind i've never seen happen with chickens or guineas

fauna fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 9, 2019

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

fauna posted:

luckily she is still small with small wings so she could only rise slowly into the air
when young quail do this their little wings beat so hard they make a loud BZZZZZZZZZ like bumblebees

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Mozi posted:

Presenting The Gang:

Left to right:

Slate

How often you give food to the hens and say, "Tina you fat lard! Eat the food!"

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Today we said goodbye to Piper.

She has been with us since the British Hen Welfare Trust's rehoming day on the 30th of December 2011, so that's 2903 days of being a retired garden hen doing whatever she wanted.

She had been slowing down over the summer, snoozing more but still finding time to dig, dust bathe, chase bugs and make sure the other hens didn't step out of line. While Queen Pip the Glorious has always been the top hen, Piper was the one that held everything together. She was the constant for nearly eight years.

Piper will be mourned by her flock sisters and most especially by Pip who has shared a nest with her for nearly eight years.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

RIP Piper. If Chicken Heaven exists I hope it also happens to overlap with Hell for Tasty Bugs.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Goodnight, Sweet Chicken. She had a happy life thanks to loving parents.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

spookygonk posted:

Today we said goodbye to Piper.

She has been with us since the British Hen Welfare Trust's rehoming day on the 30th of December 2011, so that's 2903 days of being a retired garden hen doing whatever she wanted.

She had been slowing down over the summer, snoozing more but still finding time to dig, dust bathe, chase bugs and make sure the other hens didn't step out of line. While Queen Pip the Glorious has always been the top hen, Piper was the one that held everything together. She was the constant for nearly eight years.

Piper will be mourned by her flock sisters and most especially by Pip who has shared a nest with her for nearly eight years.

piper :( rest in peck beautiful queen, you were so lucky and you never even knew it

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Enjoy the deep sleep, Piper. Any fool can see you were a top-notch hen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Rest in peace Piper. What a fantastic bird. :smith:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Rip a good chook
Also that t shirt is great

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
RIP Piper! She had a good run.

Kuros posted:

How often you give food to the hens and say, "Tina you fat lard! Eat the food!"

As often as possible, of course :p

My rooster's foot is bothering him today, it was fine yesterday. I'm hoping he just had an awkward landing and it'll be better in a little while :ohdear:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Mozi posted:

RIP Piper! She had a good run.

As often as possible, of course :p

My rooster's foot is bothering him today, it was fine yesterday. I'm hoping he just had an awkward landing and it'll be better in a little while :ohdear:

Wonderful :)

To everyone here, I don't have the room for chickens as I live in a condo but I love seeing the pics y'all post. Thank you for those.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kharnifex posted:

Also that t shirt is great

From reading this thread, I assume the reason they'll never find your body if you mess with the chickens is that the chickens will literally eat you and leave nothing to bury. :v:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

My girls have gone on strike. No eggs in over a month. It's cooler, but not super cold, and they kept laying even in the shortest days the past two winters. They're two and a half, so they should at least be giving something, right?

Kennedy decided November was a good time to molt, so she has an excuse. Somebody, we don't know who, had a couple of shell-less eggs before the general strike.

Are they done? These are our first chooks, so we don't have a lot of experience.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm in the same situation, right down to two of my best layers having molted recently.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Only one of my six chickens is still laying and yeah it's been at least a month.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Hmm. Is it the eggpocalypse?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

noooo qimmy donated herself to the wilderness

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

she just took off vertically like a little rocket and was gone, over the fence and out of my life

i explained to my friend kimmy, who requested a quail named after her, that every time i name a bird after someone they promptly come to grief. i thought creative spelling would break the curse, but it did not! i'm not even surprised, i knew this would happen

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

fauna posted:

noooo qimmy donated herself to the wilderness

Is there no hope of her bumbling back? That’s saddening. :smith:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Captain Log posted:

Is there no hope of her bumbling back? That’s saddening. :smith:
it was right on nightfall* when it happened and she was the perfect size for an owl dinner, although it was probably a cat that would have got her, the neighbourhood's full of them

*shabbat sundown, friday the 13th. sometimes all you can say is "welp"

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the rest of the children are under indefinite house arrest, at least until they're older and not as hyperactive. lesson learnt

i took them out, but only for five minutes so they could dust-bathe and i spent the whole time hovering over them poised to spring if one of them tried to ascend. no fatalities resulted and the three survivors are safely back in the cage. they are officially in the "don't u fucken touch me" stage of their development. quetzalcoatl is the prettiest, but the wildest

quiche has inherited felafel's perfect plob form

and friday... remains

it is looking like friday's a hen and the two remaining chiplets are both roosters (the late qimmy was also a hen, alas). this is basically the opposite of what i predicted when they were all chicks, and proves i'm nothing but a fool and not worth a hot drat when it comes to poultry. the adults are all doing well. frida q dislikes the chicks, hot chip's love has transformed her, and felafel is regrettably overcome with lust for all his children, roosters and hens alike

fauna fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

FELAFEL WANT HEN

here you can see why it's so difficult to protect quail against predators. even though they're on the same trophic level as a mcnugget and they know it, they're cursed with curiosity. if something new is going on outside the cage they want to know about it, and they fit their heads through surprisingly small gaps. "my" goshawk used to just perch on top of the cage, wait for the little necks to come craning out between the bars and nip them neatly off like rosebuds. as with most things to do with quail, it would be funny if it wasn't so tragic

(if you live in a major bird of prey area, which i luckily don't at the moment, the solution to this is to meticulously wire the whole cage to remove any gaps. i've also had some success with piling brush on top of the cage, making it harder for large birds to perch on)