Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Onkeikun is helping so I imagine she’ll be doing the translation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

Any info on whose subs they're going to use?

Almost certainly brand new ones

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In any case, I hope this leads to more official releases in the future (Savers is my personal pipe dream but that might be a challenge considering it was dubbed by Disney and never released stateside again in any format to my knowledge)

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
We had the good news with the Blu-ray announcement. Now the bad news. Ghost Game is also going on further hiatus due to the hacking.

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1503599386907090948

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tell the blu-ray people to do us all a favor and skip 02 and go directly to tamers, thank you

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sleeping Sigma posted:

We had the good news with the Blu-ray announcement. Now the bad news. Ghost Game is also going on further hiatus due to the hacking.

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1503599386907090948

Yeah, so far it’s looking like we won’t see new episodes of anything Toei Animation related until April 10th at the earliest

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 15, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tell the blu-ray people to do us all a favor and skip 02 and go directly to tamers, thank you

02 rules.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tell the blu-ray people to do us all a favor and skip Tri and DA:LEK and go straight to Appmon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Those already have BD releases

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I like tamers more, and more pertinent to the topic, thats the only digimon other then our war game id ever buy a blu ray of and i dont want to wait like 5 years for it

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Seriously, they need to do everything. I don’t care how long it takes, we need everything subbed and in good quality

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So why is this hack causing delays, haven't really heard any info on why this would delay anything on either the animation or broadcasting sides of the equation?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

So why is this hack causing delays, haven't really heard any info on why this would delay anything on either the animation or broadcasting sides of the equation?

Because apparently it wasn’t the website that got hacked but rather Toei’s internal private network (though just for their animation department). I don’t think it’s been revealed what if anything said hacker actually did but they’re doing an investigation just to be sure.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mandatory lesbian posted:

Digimon is the opposite of Star Trek. The odd numbered series (Adventure, Tamers, Savers) are good and the even numbered (02 and Frontier) are bad.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

On one hand 02 squanders every possible interesting plotline it could have over and over again leading to one of the most half-baked endings to a Digimon series (with an epilogue that is still causing Psyche Damage to this day), on the other hand Mimi kicks rear end throughout the show, so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

On one hand 02 squanders every possible interesting plotline it could have over and over again leading to one of the most half-baked endings to a Digimon series (with an epilogue that is still causing Psyche Damage to this day), on the other hand Mimi kicks rear end throughout the show, so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not.

Also

It's not Tri or DALEK

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Funky Valentine posted:

So a theory I've formulated is that Digimon Adventure shows are at their best when the cast are moving against a clear central villain. When I recently re-watched Adventure 99 and then 02 right afterwards one of things I noticed was that 99 in many ways was about as scattershot and disorganized as 02 was. 99 was just as guilty as doing random things with characters, randomly introducing stuff and then dropping it, coming up with ideas that go nowhere, and so forth. The difference is that unlike 02, Adventure 99 pretty much always had a central villain to keep all the ducks in a row. Having one, singular, villain to organize everything meant that no matter which direction the show went it was still, ultimately, moving towards a clear endpoint.

02 stops doing that after a point. At the start of the show you have the Digimon Kaiser and it has problems but it still works, then he goes and you have Archnemon being the central villain, and then Black WarGreymon happens and it falls apart. That arc is real bad, and I think part of it is just that there was no central villain to work against. The show cannot make up its mind about whether Black WarGreymon is a villain that needs to be defeated or a tragic figure who needs to be redeemed and so it tries to half-rear end it in both directions so there's no structure and it's just disappointing. Oh and Archnemon is still there and Mummymon is there as well and the show can't figure out how serious those two should be or what the deal with them really is. And that continues, the show breaks down because there is no central villain for all the disparate episodes and weird elements to really work against and no clear endpoint. Stuff just keeps happening without a framework to keep it together and it's just a mess.

The same thing that happens in Tri, is the villain Alphamon? The X program? The Digimon Kaiser? Maicoomon? Himekawa? Unexplained evil Gennai? The random third incarnation of the Dark Masters? Jesmon? Yggdrasil? Homeostasis? Apocalymon's remnant data? Who are the heroes actually fighting against? Along with all the other bad inconsistencies Tri never settles on a villain and so there's nothing to anchor all the random stupid poo poo that happens in the movies.

And the same thing happens in DA:LEK, yeah sure it has a central "villain" (in massive quotations) but really the film is being way too didactic about how losing your best friend for no reason is a good thing actually and you should stop being a Digimon fan if you are the target audience for this film. And indeed if the movie had treated the separation as the antagonist of the film above and beyond Menoa and Eosmon and made them just symptoms of the problem it would've worked, but no, per the film it isn't. Agumon dying is supposed to be good for Taichi and if we're supposed to learn anything from Sora's example is that you should betray your friends and do nothing to help them in favor of something that's not really important to you.

And then Adventure 20 happened and what do you know? The lamest, weakest period of the show is the back half when there isn't any real play against an antagonist. Yeah, sure, Koushirou popping and once an episode to remind the audience what the vague threat is supposed to be got bad after a while, but the portion of the show that was good was when the cast were going after the Digimon that was causing the blackout in Tokyo and the bad guys associated with it, and then the arc immediately afterwards when Devimon was around. It got bad not long after, but it was really when the show completely unmoored itself from having a proper villain that it all fell down. Millenniumon was just some vague thing that will happen eventually, and Negamon didn't even get loving named until it was time for the finale and neither of them actually had personalities and were both just boring kill beasts.

Burkion posted:

Also

It's not Tri or DALEK

I've always wondered if some of the love DA:LEK gets is mostly because it was better than Tri. And relatedly, I'm darkly amused that 02's epilogue means DA:LEK's really rancid message and bad ending are pre-empted. It's not often that two wrongs make a right.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

02 might not have a ton of strong plotting, but its characters, ideas, and general vibes had me come away preferring it to Adventure when I watched them both subbed for the first time a couple of years back. It's messy, but it feels ambitious in all the right ways as a second series and sequel.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omnicrom posted:

I've always wondered if some of the love DA:LEK gets is mostly because it was better than Tri. And relatedly, I'm darkly amused that 02's epilogue means DA:LEK's really rancid message and bad ending are pre-empted. It's not often that two wrongs make a right.

I feel it's mostly that DA:LEK does a lot right (a focus on a world where Digimon and humans coexist, great art and animation, showing how the kids have become adults and a focus on such a weird age group for Digimon) before it fucks up so massively that all of it gets negated, and some people are completely incapable of understanding even the most direct of subtexts ("Digimon is not for you, grow up and leave" being the movie's main theme, but also not one that's outright stated) and instead think it's a bittersweet story of growth that will nonetheless lead to a happy ending down the road (as 02's epilogue is still canon, lol) with no subtext whatsoever.

Meanwhile with Tri you get absolutely none of those because it has no subtext that ruins the rest, it's just terribly written after the third movie and terribly paced from the beginning.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Survive trailer (but still no release date it seems):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=b_gyu7tf3R4

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Larryb posted:

New Survive trailer (but still no release date it seems):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=b_gyu7tf3R4

This is the trailer that was shown at Digimon-con a few weeks ago. While not "new" new, it is now in English so we can see what the dialogue and UI say. Heck, it being translated probably means they're further along in development than we think.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Amazon claims that Survive will be out on June 30th:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V1JYNVM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_P98XW8E0R8DQZCGVKA94

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Dang, I forgot that most of the new gamplay footage was in the interview segment and not the trailer. I wanted to know how the English version handles translating for the alignment system. In the screens Onkei translated, a dialogue choice results in saying Takuma's "'morality' has changed" but it uses what appears to be the same characters as the Morality alignment. Does this mean the dialogue choice added to the Morality alignment gauge or are they using Morality to refer to both a route and the over-all system?

That date's actually been there for a while. I assumed it was a placeholder to signify that they think it might come out in the first half of the year the same way Dec. 31st is used when only release year is known. I think June 30th is the end of a fiscal quarter, too. Edit: also it's a Thursday, which isn't a usual release day.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 16, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Dang, I forgot that most of the new gamplay footage was in the interview segment and not the trailer. I wanted to know how the English version handles translating for the alignment system. In the screens Onkei translated, a dialogue choice results in saying Takuma's "'morality' has changed" but it uses what appears to be the same characters as the Morality alignment. Does this mean the dialogue choice added to the Morality alignment gauge or are they using Morality to refer to both a route and the over-all system?

That date's actually been there for a while. I assumed it was a placeholder to signify that they think it might come out in the first half of the year the same way Dec. 31st is used when only release year is known. I think June 30th is the end of a fiscal quarter, too. Edit: also it's a Thursday, which isn't a usual release day.

Amazon always does that for things that it's bullshitting on. It always gives the last date of the fiscal quarter it thinks it will release in and then updates accordingly if it gets news of an earlier date or if it's clear the product will blow past that date.

I've seen this show too many times. If Survive even makes it out in 2022, it'll be in August or September. If it goes past September 31st, it's not coming out this year.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

The day Survive comes out will be the day humanity makes it to the digital world for real.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/translationmon/status/1504583158854873092?s=21

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shock
Respect
Love
Violence :black101:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I should really get back to playing Cyber Sleuth.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Decided to restart. Named my girl Houtu... because she looks like a How To Draw Anime Girls cover.

Edit: Never mind, wait, I hate how she runs. BOY IT IS.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 23, 2022

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

girl dick energy posted:

Decided to restart. Named my girl Houtu... because she looks like a How To Draw Anime Girls cover.

Edit: Never mind, wait, I hate how she runs. BOY IT IS.

Welcome to why I am who I am in the game glad to meet you

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It appears that CR has changed its policy recently and all future releases will be subscription only (meaning episodes will no longer be free for regular users a week after airing):

https://help.crunchyroll.com/hc/en-us/articles/4962816171412-Changes-to-Ad-Supported-Viewing-

It seems like this will apply to all currently running shows as well (including Ghost Game when it resumes)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Larryb posted:

It appears that CR has changed its policy recently and all future releases will be subscription only (meaning episodes will no longer be free for regular users a week after airing):

https://help.crunchyroll.com/hc/en-us/articles/4962816171412-Changes-to-Ad-Supported-Viewing-

It seems like this will apply to all currently running shows as well (including Ghost Game when it resumes)
This will definitely increase profits and subscriber count and absolutely not drive more people towards piracy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While we wait on Ghost Game, we got the next Dim Cards. Celebrating the 20th anniversary of the mistake better known as Digimon Frontier, both protagonists and also the four cheerleaders are getting their own Dim Cards. Dim Card Set EX3: Spirit Flame and Spirit Light.
https://twitter.com/DM_Partners/status/1509700668705370117

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

do we have to do this everytime Frontier gets acknowledged

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nodosaur posted:

do we have to do this everytime Frontier gets acknowledged

It’s extremely tiresome, yeah

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
I'm actually really excited to see these DiM card lineups myself. While my wallet is very happy that they just stuck with the 6 kids, it does kind of suck that this likely means that the other warriors are likely relegated to slots on these cards, instead of having full cards themselves. It would have been nice to see how their lines would have been figured out too but Frontier is getting cards and that's okay in my book.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Seiyal posted:

I'm actually really excited to see these DiM card lineups myself. While my wallet is very happy that they just stuck with the 6 kids, it does kind of suck that this likely means that the other warriors are likely relegated to slots on these cards, instead of having full cards themselves. It would have been nice to see how their lines would have been figured out too but Frontier is getting cards and that's okay in my book.

I mean they could be saving those for later alongside a Corrupted Darkness card

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

drrockso20 posted:

I mean they could be saving those for later alongside a Corrupted Darkness card

That would be even better, of course, yes, so we'll see what happens.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wonder what they'll use to complete the Cards. Mostly, what Child-levels will be there. Agnimon and Wolfmon are obvious, but the rest don't have canon Child level forms. I imagine Fairimon and Chackmon will keep the ones they got in New Century (Tinkermon and Penmon respectively) but the rest don't have any as far as I know. I feel Kokabuterimon is the most obvious choice for Blitzmon but I can't think of what I'd use for Loweemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wouldn't be surprised if they follow recent trends in V-pets and card games and have the Human Hybrids be the equivalent of a Child.