Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What they wanted is for her to go from young lady in season one to old woman in season 7 when they get home, that's why they chose such a short time span.

"We age a little faster than humans until 21. Then, we quickly decline."

It's not like a 20 year old Vulcan acts like a 10 year old human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Neelix, designed to appeal to the younger Star Trek viewers in the hopes of launching a prequel YA book series focusing on Neelix's high school years.

They got it backwards. Instead of creating a character that appeals to a younger audience, they created a character that found a younger audience a little too appealing.

I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

They got it backwards. Instead of creating a character that appeals to a younger audience, they created a character that found a younger audience a little too appealing.

I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

They didn't, they moved on to Enterprise.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Why not? The few times we've seen vulcan kids it was never specified how old they were.

Everyone always insists that any fictional race that's longer lived than humans must have the same developmental period and the idea of having a longer one is absurd and wasteful. But one of the advantages humans have over animals is a longer growth period, more time to learn and pass on complex skills from older generations. That's only going to become more important in a sci-fi future. Every other animal's goal is simply to reach maturity as fast as physically possible and breed. Admittedly baby yoda being a baby for 50 years is pretty dumb though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

counterfeitsaint posted:

Why not? The few times we've seen vulcan kids it was never specified how old they were.

Everyone always insists that any fictional race that's longer lived than humans must have the same developmental period and the idea of having a longer one is absurd and wasteful. But one of the advantages humans have over animals is a longer growth period, more time to learn and pass on complex skills from older generations. That's only going to become more important in a sci-fi future. Every other animal's goal is simply to reach maturity as fast as physically possible and breed. Admittedly baby yoda being a baby for 50 years is pretty dumb though.

He wasn't a baby. Just lazy.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

'Cause he's a funnier character than we've ever had in the previous series".

He's not wrong, but he's also not right in the way he thinks he is.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/elfredderino/status/1786232197399117966

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Around season 2-ish they quietly insinuated Okampa biology to roughly line up as 1 year == 10 human years of aging, which accidentally gave even more dire insinuations to her relationship with Neelix.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not really? They established that they age quite differently, in fact: they reach the physical equivalent of their 20somethings by the age of one year, stay that appearance for most of their life, and then age rapidly over the course of their last year alive.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Not really? They established that they age quite differently, in fact: they reach the physical equivalent of their 20somethings by the age of one year, stay that appearance for most of their life, and then age rapidly over the course of their last year alive.

Dumb rear end Ocampa

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yeah and they go through puberty some time in their fours.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They go into a mating phase in their fours but it's not a growth/maturation phase like puberty.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Today in comparative Ocampan biology, we'll discuss what the Vulcans call "Ponn Farr"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's explicitly likened to puberty in the show and memory alpha refers to it as "the time of sexual maturation", which is what puberty is.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

it's explicitly likened to puberty in the show and memory alpha refers to it as "the time of sexual maturation", which is what puberty is.

Computer, bring up all known articles concerning Goons and puberty

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Look this conversation doesn't have any winners ok, let's just all walk away from the perpetual Mexican standoff that is Ocampan biology.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

no conversations have winners you're thinking of a debate

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This one will certainly have losers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McSpanky posted:

Look this conversation doesn't have any winners ok, let's just all walk away from the perpetual Mexican standoff that is Ocampan biology.
I never understood why you would have these very humanoid looking aliens have these giant sacs on their backs for when they give birth

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I prefer discussion. Debate. The truth, the facts.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

McSpanky posted:

This one will certainly have losers.

It's the YOOL 2024 and we're still posting on Something Awful. We're all losers here.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

First of May posted:

It's the YOOL 2024 and we're still posting on Something Awful. We're all losers here.

You humans are so defeatist.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

redshirt posted:

Don't assume my species, please.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

First of May posted:

Don't assume my species, please.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

redshirt posted:

"The very name is racist"

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

"The very name is racist"

Fine, we all want equal klingonitarian rights, happy now???

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

He said Klingon with a hard K

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

peta'Q

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Human with a hard "H"

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Females with a hard FEE

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

redshirt posted:

Hew-mon with a hard "MON"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

U OOMAX?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Females with a hard FEE

:females:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Bajor the way Picard says it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Females with a hard FEE

Also, how many strips of gold plated latinum are we starting with here?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Bajorans are religious terrorists and hasperat makes me cringe

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

No. 6 posted:

Bajorans are religious terrorists and hasperat makes me cringe

lol they really are but I always think of Hasperat like a tapioca, and it seems good.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Jumja sticks seem good

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Katterpod beans are amazing in a hasperat wrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
ngl, id gently caress up some hasperat