Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh...I could have sworn there was some line that Voyager launched with less than a full crew, because it wasn't going on a full exploration mission (I think that was Intrepid class was for?), so in theory it should have had a lot less exobiologists, stellar cartographers, etc...than a regular crew compliment.

I'm pretty sure they once said they didn't have a ship's counselor since the mission was only supposed to be a few weeks, but I don't recall the same being true of the science staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Powered Descent posted:

I'm pretty sure they once said they didn't have a ship's counselor since the mission was only supposed to be a few weeks, but I don't recall the same being true of the science staff.

They don't seem to have things like xenobotanists that you'd have on an exploratory mission. It's possible they all died in the first episode though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

They don't seem to have things like xenobotanists that you'd have on an exploratory mission. It's possible they all died in the first episode though.

I thought Voyager was a Diplomatic class?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Watching the latest Discovery, how the gently caress do the Breen tell each other apart, they have no identifiers of even like rank or anything on their suits, also why is their language all computer/robot styled but they're flubber people, i hate them

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Infrared or ultraviolet markings maybe?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

a real rude dude posted:

Watching the latest Discovery, how the gently caress

ah, i see your problem

Kurash
May 12, 2008

This was from a handful of pages ago but that actor with the weird shifty eyes probably just can't see poo poo because the people making the contact lenses for TV shows in the 90s weren't particularly concerned with how good you can see out of them.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

a sexual elk posted:

Infrared or ultraviolet markings maybe?

Dont cover for them i wont stand for it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kurash posted:

This was from a handful of pages ago but that actor with the weird shifty eyes probably just can't see poo poo because the people making the contact lenses for TV shows in the 90s weren't particularly concerned with how good you can see out of them.

ACTING!!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Voyager: we cant pilot this ship if we lost a few crew, we need all 150
Also voyager: kills off several crew members and flies fine
Also also voyager: i know it looks like we've killed a dozen people but we're actually only down to 148.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Voyager: we cant pilot this ship if we lost a few crew, we need all 150
Also voyager: kills off several crew members and flies fine
Also also voyager: i know it looks like we've killed a dozen people but we're actually only down to 148.

Did you count Kes and Neelix? That's plus 2.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

Did you count Kes and Neelix? That's plus 2.

Did you count the murder of beloved crew member, Tuvix?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Janeway was actually abducting people all the time and forcing them to work poo poo jobs on the ship. They just don't get any screen time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watching Enterprise Broken Bow

1) The opening credits sequence is actually really nice and aspirational
2) This looks drat good, was it on film?
3) Set design and uniforms are top notch, maybe best in the franchise (or TV at least)
4) Archer sure is an rear end in a top hat!
5) Frustrated babysitter Vulcans who are a bit mad that they're frustrated and a bit sad that they're mad and a bit concerned that they're sad, are p. good

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Did you count the murder of beloved crew member, Tuvix?

Justice for Tuvix

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm glad he's dead.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm glad he's dead.

You’ll never be half the officer he was! The Tuvok half I mean. Obviously anyone can be Neelix (or better)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm glad he's dead.

Harsh, but fair.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

1) The opening credits sequence is actually really nice and aspirational
2) This looks drat good, was it on film?
3) Set design and uniforms are top notch, maybe best in the franchise (or TV at least)
4) Archer sure is an rear end in a top hat!
5) Frustrated babysitter Vulcans who are a bit mad that they're frustrated and a bit sad that they're mad and a bit concerned that they're sad, are p. good
Yes Enterprise was shot on film until Season 4 which was digital

It was the first Trek series shot in HD also

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I didn't like Tuvix because he thought he was so unique he could just wear a fancy uniform all the time. OK, the transporter messed it up, then you change into a standard issue uniform! Just walking around for two weeks like he's better than everyone else!

e: oh, I guess he did change later, looking at screencaps he was wearing a normal uniform when they executed him.
I still don't like him.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 20, 2024

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay, but that's not going to get you thousands of highly skilled engineers and technicians within a month. That's the problem this whole topic is wrestling with -- that it is easier to produce hardware than skilled personnel.

Starfleet wasn't designed to absorb heavy losses. They don't have a huge reserve force they can call into action when a 'bad' war hits

This thread doesn't have a remotely realistic idea of how a large modern society engages a war economy. All of these problems were solved a literal century ago.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Endless Trash posted:

You’ll never be half the officer he was! The Tuvok half I mean. Obviously anyone can be Neelix (or better)

Even I can cook food people pretend to like.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sedgr posted:

Janeway was actually abducting people all the time and forcing them to work poo poo jobs on the ship. They just don't get any screen time.

Deck 17 is missing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A whole crew of Talaxians.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wifi Toilet posted:

I didn't like Tuvix because he thought he was so unique he could just wear a fancy uniform all the time. OK, the transporter messed it up, then you change into a standard issue uniform! Just walking around for two weeks like he's better than everyone else!

e: oh, I guess he did change later, looking at screencaps he was wearing a normal uniform when they executed him.
I still don't like him.

There was a floral pattern woven into the uniform because the flower merged with Tuvok and Neelix. The uniform became part of their body.

Until he put on another uniform over it, Tuvix was naked.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wifi Toilet posted:

I still don't like him.

What's your name again... lieutenant?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Unless the federation has a massive reserve or auxiliary they can call on it, building personnel up would be a long-term strategy. Unless they wanted to start pumping out augments or found a way to start making Soong-type androids. Or I guess if the Federation has a planet of fungus people or something who can reproduce in massive numbers.

The ones who duplicate when they get stressed from Lower Decks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sedgr posted:

Star Trek: Snowpiercer.

Just don't ask what the biogel packs are made form.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
arent there already bio components to ship computers? they probably replicate orphans for them

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I wonder if people in Star Trek ever consider summoning one of those Equinox aliens and shoving its corpse into the warp drive whenever they’re late for a meeting

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The federation isn't just humans though. Tellarites and Vulcans and Andorians might have more martial or capable societies for manning ships. Heck, you can give the Klingons some starships, too!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Regular Wario posted:

arent there already bio components to ship computers? they probably replicate orphans for them

The Bioneural Gel Packs were supposed to be some cool new technology in (the) Voyager that couldn't be replicated because they were cool new advanced technology that... was ultimately never relevant in any way to the show beyond getting infected by cheese and the macrovirus.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i imagine the vulcans would accept the federation starships and not use them because eww gross ships made by snotty humans

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Bioneural Gel Packs were supposed to be some cool new technology in (the) Voyager that couldn't be replicated because they were cool new advanced technology that... was ultimately never relevant in any way to the show beyond getting infected by cheese and the macrovirus.

Well they made the computer fast enough that it could create an Irish bartender capable of seducing Janeway. On TNG they could only do something close to that when the Bynars hacked the holodeck or just by accident.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

That's such a weird episode. Riker creates a floozy in a bar and instantly falls in real love with her to the extent that she's still in his subconscious such that the alien mind probe thinks she's the real love of his life all after just one holodeck session.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

Riker honed his bone with such passion the alien mind probe was fooled

naem
May 29, 2011

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

They'd start recruiting from outside the federation, targeting any civilian with experience in space travel.

like the tech industry now irl, a lot of green card engineers

humans are like a failed foster dog that vulcans took in out of pity and realize they are stuck with

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

McSpanky posted:

This thread doesn't have a remotely realistic idea of how a large modern society engages a war economy. All of these problems were solved a literal century ago.

I thought modern society solved it by having a large disposable underclass that can be bribed to enlist in return for education and/or the down payment on a gaudy truck?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Voyager was originally supposed to just go on a 3 week ish mission to find Tuvok's ship as he was undercover at the time.

ENT has probably the most interested portrayal of vulcans in star trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I always wanted to see a Vulcan who lived on earth their whole life and that went native. I bet they’re much less irritable, and they’re willing to use the mind-meld whenever it’s expedient to do so and have sex for fun, they don’t let their serum testosterone levels rise until they go into a murderous/suicidal frenzy every few years. Yeah I want to see a show at Starfleet Academy and he’s the first Vulcan to join Alpha Omega Boner, the least prestigious fraternity with the worst grades in the entire federation. Not the worst in starfleet, they get worse grades than even any public high school in the entire Federation, even the ones with lots of Pakled students. Yeah, that’s sounds good, I’ll probably force ChatGPT to write me a horrible 5-minute long pilot for my own edification.