Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
He was definitely the type who’d casually drop slurs. I don’t think he was malicious about it, but like he’d compliment Dustin Rhodes for doing good work with Goldust while calling him the f word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
That's unfortunate. :(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nash told a story on his podcast a while ago about travelling with bam bam and having to defuse a confrontation at a liquor store after he dropped some racial slurs, so depending on how much you’re willing to take Nash’s word on historical fact it’s possible it wasn’t just his approach to the business that people might not have liked.

I think that might have been the reason Bigelow became a Kliq victim.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I think that might have been the reason Bigelow became a Kliq victim.

the sjw kliq cancelled bam bam for being problematic :hmmyes:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Given how much poo poo Nash gets wrong about his own WCW booking tenure, I wouldn't trust his recollections on their own.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i cant believe the ex bounty hunter with a full skull tattoo who grew up in new jersey in the late 60s and early 70s would casually throw slurs around either

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 29, 2023

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nash told a story on his podcast a while ago about travelling with bam bam and having to defuse a confrontation at a liquor store after he dropped some racial slurs, so depending on how much you’re willing to take Nash’s word on historical fact it’s possible it wasn’t just his approach to the business that people might not have liked.

It wasn't just the slurs per se - Bam Bam got the guys pissed enough at them where they pulled guns on Bam Bam, Hall, and Nash.

So if Nash's version is accurate, I can see why he'd not like Bam Bam.

Here's the podcast clip. (linked since it's age restricted and can't embed)

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 29, 2023

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Bash at the Beach episode was great, but Russo and Bischoff are such self-serving liars that it's impossible to keep everything straight about how things were SUPPOSED to go. As I understood it:

Russo's Original Plan: Jarrett was champion, Hogan would lose clean to him. Then Booker beats Jarrett at the end of the night to get the belt.

Russo's edited plan: Hogan wins via DQ or something (it seemed like he was implying Scott Steiner would interfere), Jarrett keeps the belt, then Booker beats Jarrett at the end of the night to get the belt.

At some point everyone was okay with that edited plan, but then Hogan threw in the whole "I should walk out with the belt" stuff and it gets even murkier.

So my question is this: in either of Russo's plans, Booker only wins after Jarrett ALREADY wrestled a match earlier in the night, right? Russo kept presenting this as if he was doing this huge favor to prop up Booker, but what a lovely way to win a world title.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

That's the funniest thing about all of this to me - just don't book the Hogan match!

I loved Dave being there as the "here's the facts" guy between Russo and Bischoff's bullshit.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

A Fancy Hat posted:

So my question is this: in either of Russo's plans, Booker only wins after Jarrett ALREADY wrestled a match earlier in the night, right? Russo kept presenting this as if he was doing this huge favor to prop up Booker, but what a lovely way to win a world title.

Russo won that title off Booker not too long after this, him trying to imply he was pushing to get Booker over was the craziest lie in the whole episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My impression was that Booker beating Jarrett was gonna be the next match/event after Jarrett beat Hogan but Russo ran it that night after getting angry and not wanting to give Hogan what he wanted and the recognized victory/reign?

Bischoff seemed to say the agreed upon plan was for Hogan to walk out as champ and they have a tournament to crown a new champion who Hogan would then confront. Basically the CM Punk WWE title story. Russo’s swerve seemed to be skipping the tournament and going straight to Jarrett/Booker effectively saying the Hogan victory was meaningless.

But that whole episode is nothing but conmen and liars and none of them probably have any idea what the full truth of that poo poo was. I don’t think anyone comes off well but Russo at least frames his poo poo in a more sympathetic light to Bischoff and Hogan’s “gently caress you, we can do whatever we want” attitude. But again. All conmen and liars.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 3, 2023

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Jeff Jarrett came off the best in the episode by face turning as the "conflicted guy just trying to do his job".

Lance was pretty funny as well "Vince Russo wanted me to be the son of Bischoff." Can you even imagine pitching this storyline to Lance in front of Eric?

I also loved Dave's hesitation on answering "How much harm did Russo do to the wrestling business?"

This was a fun episode for me because 1998 was when I started following online dirtsheets and by 1999 I was fully indoctrinated into the smark mindset and hated Hogan so when Bash 2000 happened I thought it was the best storyline in wrestling and I couldn't wait to see where WCW went having excised the cancer that he was. That was one of those nights where I was F5ing the page and scouring chatrooms and other sites for more information. Needless to say that it didn't take long for Russo to use up all that goodwill. I think of all the episodes of Dark Side, this was the only one that I could have told you what the story was and what everyone involved was going to say with roughly 90% accuracy without having seen the episode.

Justin_Brett posted:

Russo won that title off Booker not too long after this, him trying to imply he was pushing to get Booker over was the craziest lie in the whole episode.

Bro, listen he went around the table and 12 people told him that he should beat Booker for the title so his hands were basically tied at that point.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 3, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ive been waiting for this one all season. i like these 'messy bitch who loves drama' shitshow ones more than the depressing ones. i enjoyed it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

post hole digger posted:

ive been waiting for this one all season. i like these 'messy bitch who loves drama' shitshow ones more than the depressing ones. i enjoyed it.

It's a good way to break the sadness up a bit.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
I was excited for this episode even though I knew that nothing could possibly be revealed or resolved. For the good of the business, somebody had to stand up to Hogan and get him out of there, but of course the one to do it was certified loving idiot Vince Russo, who did nothing but make things worse and cost Time Warner a shitload of money. WCW was so dysfunctional and unwatchable at that point, with Hogan's clause, Bischoff's creative destitution, and Russo's inanity all contributing to the company's spectacular downfall in roughly equal measure (along with other bullshit).

I was surprised at how sympathetic Jarrett was—his AEW run has rehabbed him so hard in my eyes. BatB was an unwinnable situation for him, and he was probably more aware than anyone of how stupid and horrible the "plan" was. I absolutely hated how he was used and thought so little of his talents at the time, though. If he had followed Hogan out the door and never been seen again, that would have been a net positive for WCW in 2000.

I don't think I would have kept watching anyway, though, because the shows were SO bad. WCW's downfall was so awful and embarrassing that it tainted anything I'd ever liked about the company going back to like freaking Sting and Great Muta. There are plenty more snapshots of absolute wretched tv and stupidity during the death spiral and even long before that, but this incident really cemented WCW as a shitshow clusterfuck that would never recover.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The only reason Russo has had a bit of public rehab is that Cornette vocally hates him and Cornette is awful. Broken clock etc. Russo was undeniably awful for wrestling.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PaybackJack posted:

Jeff Jarrett came off the best in the episode by face turning as the "conflicted guy just trying to do his job".

Lance was pretty funny as well "Vince Russo wanted me to be the son of Bischoff." Can you even imagine pitching this storyline to Lance in front of Eric?

I also loved Dave's hesitation on answering "How much harm did Russo do to the wrestling business?"

This was a fun episode for me because 1998 was when I started following online dirtsheets and by 1999 I was fully indoctrinated into the smark mindset and hated Hogan so when Bash 2000 happened I thought it was the best storyline in wrestling and I couldn't wait to see where WCW went having excised the cancer that he was. That was one of those nights where I was F5ing the page and scouring chatrooms and other sites for more information. Needless to say that it didn't take long for Russo to use up all that goodwill. I think of all the episodes of Dark Side, this was the only one that I could have told you what the story was and what everyone involved was going to say with roughly 90% accuracy without having seen the episode.

Bro, listen he went around the table and 12 people told him that he should beat Booker for the title so his hands were basically tied at that point.

Lance's line reminds me of the joke on Talking Smack years ago where Bryan Danielson tried saying Chad Gable was his son :lol:

"You're FIVE years older than me!"
"Well I was a very virile 5 year old..."

Kinda surprised me Hogan didn't get interviewed, I'd love to hear the excuses & everything else or see who he'd try to throw under the bus in typical backstage politics style

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Kinda surprised me Hogan didn't get interviewed, I'd love to hear the excuses & everything else or see who he'd try to throw under the bus in typical backstage politics style

https://twitter.com/P__Wrestling/status/1655170996821794818

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

weekly font posted:

The only reason Russo has had a bit of public rehab is that Cornette vocally hates him and Cornette is awful. Broken clock etc. Russo was undeniably awful for wrestling.

Russo was also one of the only people who came out of that Chyna doc sounding okay, but that was again because he was contrasted against Chyna's manager who is absolute human garbage.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A Fancy Hat posted:

Bash at the Beach episode was great, but Russo and Bischoff are such self-serving liars that it's impossible to keep everything straight about how things were SUPPOSED to go. As I understood it:

I don't know if Russo is as bad about it but I swear when I briefly listened to Bischoff's podcast one of his favorite lines was "I don't recall" so not only is he being put on the spot and has to lie his way out, he also doesn't doesn't actually remember anyway.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

Dawgstar posted:

I don't know if Russo is as bad about it but I swear when I briefly listened to Bischoff's podcast one of his favorite lines was "I don't recall" so not only is he being put on the spot and has to lie his way out, he also doesn't doesn't actually remember anyway.

Were they just small things that anyone could forget after 20 years, or was it about stuff you think he was playing dumb about?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It was nice to have a funny episode to break this season up anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AMReese posted:

Were they just small things that anyone could forget after 20 years, or was it about stuff you think he was playing dumb about?

Given even Hey Hey It's Conrad who is the lightest touch around his podcast partners would call him out on stuff he tried to fib through, column A, column B.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Speaking of light touches boy did they really not go hard on Jannetty. I think this was the first Dark Side where I thought it was actually a waste of time. None of the stories were interesting beyond "they partied a lot", and then even the recent social media stuff felt like they were trying to work their audience with this "well the police said it was bullshit but *wink* *wink* we know the real truth".

I guess it's kind of hard to do a documentary on a guy that's equally hate-able and also apathetic. He's not a guy like Jake where you're happy to see this redemption story after he hosed his life up with drugs; nor does the story have an ending where he went too far and died. He's just kind of still here, still being a piece of poo poo, but he's a personable enough guy that people don't want to see him dead.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Did they at least talk about how he apparently killed a serial killer? Give me something to work with here.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Did they at least talk about how he apparently killed a serial killer? Give me something to work with here.

“Hypothetically”

Also I must have missed it but what happened to his ankle? Just west and tear or did something more serious happen and it was just a weird time to be filming?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The story is that there was a weed dealer that was operating from behind the bowling alley he worked at and one time he went to get pot from the guy and the dude put his hand on his crotch, Marty slapped it away, and it turned into an altercation that ended when Marty hit the dude with a rock, killing him.

For legal reasons they have to talk about it "hypothetically". Except the police investigated and nobody knew who this person could have been and there were no missing persons or unidentified bodies, which if they dumped it in a river there almost certainly would have been.

Al Snow and his ex-girlfriend both claim he's been telling the story from the 90s and they believe him, but the problem of whether or not it's true is immaterial to the fact that Jannetty himself is such a gently caress up in every other aspect of his life, and this incident is not like the Scott Hall situation in that he's carried with guilt for years.

It's also lumped into the segment where they just show some of the other bullshit he's posted on line and are kind of like "look at all this bullshit guys but wait what if this one is real!" And honestly who could care at that point because it's obviously attempts at getting attention and led to nothing other than wasting the time of the police (and trust me you have to do a lot to make me sorry for them).

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

It almost feels like they picked Jannetty as a subject and thought he'd be in prison or dead by the time they wrapped production, or that they'd discover Jannetty really did kill some guy and they'd blow the case wide open. It wasn't a bad episode but I almost feel like Bash at the Beach should have been the season finale.

I did find it pretty compelling to see how Jannetty views his life, like he's just had terrible bad luck and that's the only thing keeping him still being in the WWE or something.

This is a guy who got more chances that anyone, despite being a constant fuckup. I went to high school with guys who got into drugs and partying like Jannetty and they all ended up working lovely jobs or going into the military just to survive, they didn't get multiple chances to appear on worldwide television and get paid millions of dollars to do so.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I was very surprised they didn't cover the "one time Shawn and I drugged some frat boys and their girlfriends on a plane and all the old people on board gave us a standing ovation" story he's told before. That's one of those I can believe has a kernel of truth in it (Marty and Shawn being arseholes and potentially hurting someone for fun, even if the victims were being knobs themselves) and was just exaggerated in every single pathetic way, as Marty chuckles to himself in the belief that the story made him seem super cool whereas he actually just comes off as a bit of a sociopathic prick.

Brutus Beefcake and Al Snow look quite well, all things considered. Brother Bruti's dynamic with his wife was quite funny.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
More documentary-adjacent, but re-watched some of the Austin/Hart feud & drat...I miss those days. I know not many people are fans of old Corny but watching these 2 videos is one of my secret addictions. The way Cornette describes things & points out little details you'd easily miss is really fun, it's a pretty lengthy watch but well worth it. If the video timestamps don't work, FF to 2:14 in the first link for the match, 1:10 for the second link.

Full match Stone Cold vs Bret Hart WM 13
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7s7m80

Cornette's watch-along
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVTkiAVEYc4

post hole digger posted:

you posted you the same link twice.

Whoops! Fixed

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 14, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

More documentary-adjacent, but re-watched some of the Austin/Hart feud & drat...I miss those days. I know not many people are fans of old Corny but watching these 2 videos is one of my secret addictions. The way Cornette describes things & points out little details you'd easily miss is really fun, it's a pretty lengthy watch but well worth it. If the video timestamps don't work, FF to 2:14 in the first link for the match, 1:10 for the second link.

Full match Stone Cold vs Bret Hart WM 13

Cornette's watch-along

you posted you the same link twice.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I was very surprised they didn't cover the "one time Shawn and I drugged some frat boys and their girlfriends on a plane and all the old people on board gave us a standing ovation" story he's told before. That's one of those I can believe has a kernel of truth in it (Marty and Shawn being arseholes and potentially hurting someone for fun, even if the victims were being knobs themselves) and was just exaggerated in every single pathetic way, as Marty chuckles to himself in the belief that the story made him seem super cool whereas he actually just comes off as a bit of a sociopathic prick.
The substance of that story (meaning almost everything other than the "and then everyone stood up and applauded" part) has been corroborated by multiple other people who were on that flight. Off the top of my head, Buddy Rose, one of the Bushwhackers, Mike Chioda, and Shane Douglas have all told the story, and I think I might be forgetting one or two others.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

davidbix posted:

The substance of that story (meaning almost everything other than the "and then everyone stood up and applauded" part) has been corroborated by multiple other people who were on that flight. Off the top of my head, Buddy Rose, one of the Bushwhackers, Mike Chioda, and Shane Douglas have all told the story, and I think I might be forgetting one or two others.

That's the bit that makes me laugh!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The rest of it is quite unsettling obviously.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Just watched that Marty Jannetty episode. Man, I was starting to feel bad for the guy, but then they showed his Facebook posts, and I was like, "Oh yeah, I remember that stuff." That totally changed my mind about him for the rest of it. I'm usually a pretty empathetic person, but it's hard to feel anything for someone who trolls for attention like that.

But hey, on the bright side, it was cool to see some new faces on the show. Pat Tanaka's looking good, and I didn't expect Al Snow to be so straight-forward about Marty. Just goes to show that he's not one to sugarcoat the reality of the situation.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Does Marty have something clinically wrong with him, or is he just a case of a not super bright guy that got success too easily while very young and learned all the wrong lessons about life from that?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

beepo posted:

Does Marty have something clinically wrong with him, or is he just a case of a not super bright guy that got success too easily while very young and learned all the wrong lessons about life from that?

The second one plus drugs and very likely CTE.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CombineThresher posted:

The second one plus drugs and very likely CTE.

Yeah. Say what you want about Shawn being a Christian but it, or at least his wife, to my understanding got him to clean up so he's much more functional.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Looks like Netflix is doing their very own Monster Factory-esque series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY9CISx70Oo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Looks like Netflix is doing their very own Monster Factory-esque series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY9CISx70Oo