Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Kenning posted:

Fantasy and goonzuke results will be coming after work today! There's quite a log jam up at the top of makuuchi on the goonzuke that is giving me some trouble, but I think I'll be able to resolve it.

When you first unveiled the goonzuke I spent part of an afternoon trying to write an algorithm that took an existing banzuke and tournament results and returned a new banzuke deterministically given the rules you laid out, just as a fun exercise, before shelving it since no one asked for that and I had other poo poo to do.

I assume the banzuke being created through mysterious deliberations of the Goon Sumo Association is desirable in order to reflect the authentic way of sumo, but if it'd be helpful I can dig out my notes/finish that algorithm for future bashos--PM if you want!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh man, I'll definitely PM about that. The fact that we have 19 people debuting this tournament is also making some rank stuff a little wonky, but I'm sure we'll cap out on participation eventually lol.

Khizan posted:

IMO it really only gets to be a problem when the top ranks get hit with a wave of injuries. I remember one basho(I want to say November 2020) where everybody ended up with Takakeisho as their y/o pick because Shodai and Asanoyama both went kyujo and the yokozuna weren't competing.

Yeah, I remember that. The good thing is that it's rare for the y/o ranks to determine the fantasy winner. Usually it's a maegashira who has a breakout basho and gets a special prize that is the real clincher. Under normal circumstances, all of the y/o guys will get 9-13 wins, and don't qualify for any bonus points other than yusho/jun-yusho. But if you have an m11 like Kotonowaka going 12-3 and getting a special prize that's 16 total points in that rank, while the next down is Ura, who got 11 points with a 10-5. A spread of 5 points is worth like 3-6 positions on the arasoi.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, that's why I keep waffling on Tochinoshin. I love the Georgian giant, but that M11+ pick is super valuable.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

is it normal to be itchin' for more sumo the day after a tournament ends?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The week before and week after is when I'm most likely to buy sumo merch to fill the void.

Speaking of, I have a picture banzuke from this basho coming in the new couple days.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Alright everyone, it's the thing you've all been waiting for:

Nagoya 2021 Fantasy Sumo Results

Makuuchi
code:
61	captainblastum
60.5	Skjorte
59.5	GoatSeeGuy
58.5	Kenning
57	bartolimu
56.5	Lid
56.5	scripterror
56	bessantj
56	MyChemicalImbalance
56	whats for dinner
55	Dias
54.5	jmzero
53.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
53	Charles Gnarwin
53	Vargatron
51.5	Brut
51	Scythe
50	Thauros
50	Tochiazuma
49	Banana Canada
49	MalarkeyToboggan
49	Pakled
48.5	Tiny Bug Child
48	Fluffdaddy
47.5	Neodoomium
47.5	ratmosphere
47	Beeswax
47	Maigius
46.5	Helianthus Annuus
46	Chinook
45.5	anakha
45.5	Biosys
45.5	pseudodragon
45	sivad
44.5	Cage Kicker
44.5	QuasiQuack
44.5	Teddybear
43.5	Ice Phisherman
43.5	Khizan
43.5	Marching Powder
42.5	Shiroc
42	Jobbo_Fett
41.5	Liquid Communism
41	Crusty Nutsack
37	Robviously
Juryo
code:
54.5	TwoWordName
52	KungFu Grip
49.5	Bellwether
47	LlamaTrauma
42.5	Netsky
38	Communist Thoughts
37	rare Magic card l00k
35	Eli949
34.5	Halloween Jack
34.5	ilmucche
34.5	Martytoof
33.5	NuclearPotato
33	Log082
24	Foehammer007
20.5	Glugglugs
Congratulations on captainblastum for winning their second basho this year. After a respectable (44.5) debut at Hatsu, they put on an outstanding (66) performance at Haru, and another respectable (46.5) showing at Natsu. As a result they're rocketing up the goonzuke, as we'll see in the next post. The key was, first of all, Hakuho, whose yusho win was shared by the top 3 competitors (incl. jun-yusho winner Skortje and goonzeki GoatSeeGuy). However, probably the most important pick of the basho was Ura, who provided 10 wins in a low-scoring part of the banzuke, and Mitakeumi, which just meant avoiding the Wakatakakage tax. Yokogoona captainblastum is now the first yokogoona to win a title while still holding the rank, as far as my records show. An impressive performance, and one which also earned them a gino-sho technique prize.

Down in juryo, newcomer TwoWordName takes the inaugural juryo yusho, again winning out over runner-up KungfuGrip by taking Mitakeumi over Wakatakakage for the s/k slot. Again, Hakuho was necessary for any victory condition here. Solid fight in the lower division.

On to special prizes! A refresher, these are the special prizes:

Gino-sho/Technique: No make-koshi on your team.
Kanto-sho/Fighting Spirit: Exceptional performance from a low rank, or other acknowledgement of great performance.
Shukun-sho/Outstanding Performance: Getting the highest number of accolades (i.e. kinboshi, yusho/jun-yusho, and sansho) in the field.

So, who are the awardees?

Gino-sho: bartolimu, captainblastum, MyChemicalImbalance, whats for dinner
Kanto-sho: captainblastum, Skortje
Shukun-sho: Not awarded (would have just been everybody that took Hoshoryu)

Next up is the goonzuke post!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

clap clap clap clap clap clap

e: im in the stands

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

This goonzuke was a bit hard, and I did some real plumbing of Sumo DB. The greatest difficulty was in the san'yaku/joi. There were several really good records up top, and I was anxious about forcing extra sekiwake and komusubi slots. However, this led me to learn something about sumo, which is that they used to be really profligate with extra san'yaku slots. In Aki 1944 there were 5 sekiwake and 3 komusubi. Obviously that's before modern sumo, but in Aki 1974 there were 3 sekiwake and 4 komusubi. In fact, it's only really since the 2000s that they've been seriously gun shy about adding extra san'yaku slots. That gave me the reassurance to be pretty loose with all that.

Here it is!
code:
			    Aki 2021		

SA Goonzuke		

Ozeki		
+0	GoatSeeGuy			

Sekiwake		
0	Thauros			1	captainblastum			+2
				2	Skjorte				+1

Komusubi		
+1	Vargatron		1	Tiny Bug Child			 0
+3	bessantj		2	whats for dinner		+3

Maegashira		
+4	Kenning			1	Lid	+3
+.5	Banana Canada		2	scripterror			+6
+8	bartolimu		3	Charles Gnarwin			+5
+2	MalarkeyToboggan	4	Pakled				+3
-3	Khizan			5	sivad				-1
-6	Cage Kicker		6	Fluffdaddy			 0
+5	EveryonesFavoritePoster	7	Chinook				-2
-1	Beeswax			8	Sub Rosa			-9
+7	Brut			9	MyChemicalImbalance		+9
+7	Tochiazuma		10	pseuodragon			-1
-1	Helianthus Annuus	11	Neodoomium			-.5
+8	Dias			12	TwoWordName			 @
+9	jmzero			13	Marching Powder			-4
@	KungfuGrip		14	QuasiQuack			-2
-1	anakha			15	Bellwether			 @
-1	Maigius			16	ratmosphere			-.5
+3	Scythe			17	LlamaTrauma			 @

Juryo		

@	Netsky			1	Communist Thoughts	 	 @
@	rare Magic card l00k	2	Eli949				 @
-10	Crusty Nutsack		3	Shiroc				-7
-8	Jobbo_Fett		4	Biosys				-2
-4	Teddybear		5	Ice Phisherman			-5
-8	Liquid Communism	6	Robviously			-9
@	Halloween Jack		7	ilmucche			 @
@	Martytoof		8	NuclearPotato			 @
@	Log082			9	Foehammer007			 @
@	Glugglugs		10	Diplomat			-8
-7	Lone Goat		11		
Once again, GoatSeeGuy defends ozeki handily. Thauros isn't quite able to parlay a strong showing from M2w in Natsu into an ozeki promotion, but they are on a confirmed run and a decent winning record in Nagoya should do it. Similarly, Skortje had an incredible basho from K2w, and are in the conversation for ozeki with a winning record at their next outing. They also forced an extra sekiwake slot, since captainblastum is debuting in the san'yaku at S1w after taking the cup from M1w. Down at komusubi, tiny bug child did just enough to hang onto their spot at K1w, but they were leapfrogged for the east slot by Vargatron looking good at M1e. The M3 pair of bessantj and what's for dinner (east and west respectively) did enough to both force extra komusubi slots.

In the next part of the banzuke we have some disproportionate movement, as we needed to fill things out without much to work with. Notable is Khizan only dropping 3 slots from M2e to M5e after being 14 slots down from KK, and myself, Kenning, only getting a 4 rank jump from M5e to M1e with a 4th place finish. There were also some big moves from the bottom of the banzuke, with MyChemicalImalance and jmzero both getting a 9 rank jump, and some mercy as Fluffdaddy stayed in place despite a losing record.

Four of the juryo debutantes made it into makuuchi, including yusho winner TwoWordName at M12w, runner-up KungfuGrip at M14e, and chasers Bellwether and LlamaTrauma at M15w and M17w respectively. The biggest falls into juryo were Crusty Nutsack, tumbling from M10e to J3e, and Robviously, down from M14w to J6w.

Really looking forward to Nagoya and seeing how many people can play fantasy without my spreadsheets falling apart completely. Great basho!

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 20, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
I'm in the cheap seats hoping everyone had a good time

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
im the rikishi with two bad knees and a bad back

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You're a maegashira now, have some pride!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Thanks for running fantasy sumo, Kenning! I am glad I was able to get out there and really impose my style of fantasy sumo. I'm looking forward to getting back to training (reading this thread) and pumped for next basho.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

thanks for doing a full banzuke, adds to the fun

Kenning posted:

Once again, GoatSeeGuy defends ozeki handily. Thauros isn't quite able to parlay a strong showing from M2w in Natsu into an ozeki promotion, but they are on a confirmed run and a decent winning record in Nagoya should do it.

oh gently caress i'm in danger of turning into mitakeumi

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ah poo poo I'm right at the rank where they're gonna make me run the gauntlet of everyone in san'yakgoon at the beginning of the basho

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

temporary rule change idea for next basho:

virtually everyone's gonna want either hakuho or terunofuji and the ozeki/sekiwake corps are weak with asanoyama obv kyujo and takakeisho a massive question mark due to injury. maybe allow everyone their choice of one of the two yokuzuna (no trades allowed tho) and combine O/S/K for aki?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 20, 2021

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
from K to M6 as is traditional the first time. Looking forward to the comeback!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

From bottom of the pack on Day 3 to a respectable record by the end. Just call me Ishiura. :toot:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm basically fantasy Tokushoryu. Took the yusho in my first basho and now I'm just sliding down the ranks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Khizan posted:

I'm basically fantasy Tokushoryu. Took the yusho in my first basho and now I'm just sliding down the ranks.

You had a winning record after your first yusho, then a mild losing record, and then another winning record. You're definitely better than Tokushoryu, that seems more like a Mitakeumi thing to me, or maybe Goeido.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Considering how it started I'll take 34.5 points. J7e is alright after a long layoff.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Kenning posted:

Gino-sho/Technique: No make-koshi on your team.

Sigh, I should've just picked Shodai right off the bat instead of going with Takakeisho before being forced to trade.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

I do kinda wonder how an uninjured Takakeisho might have changed things. I don't think he would've posed Hakuho or Terunofuji any issues with the way they were both fighting. But it probably would've made the end run for Mitakeumi, Meisei and Shodai a bit more fraught with danger.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Brut posted:

Sigh, I should've just picked Shodai right off the bat instead of going with Takakeisho before being forced to trade.

To be fair, Takakeisho was a much safer pick than Shodai "got my kachi-koshi on day 15" Naoya. That day 2 injury really sucked.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Kenning posted:

To be fair, Takakeisho was a much safer pick than Shodai "got my kachi-koshi on day 15" Naoya. That day 2 injury really sucked.

I'm kinda relieved we haven't heard much more about 'keisho since the initial kyujo announcement just because it makes me seem like it's not any worse than first thought. Still real worried for the dude

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1417384052152229892?s=20

FYI, this is the guy with a brother in MMA and who knocked Enho loopy with open-palm uppercuts last basho.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks for all the work you put into running this and coming up with the goonzuke. Awesome.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Honestly, I'm not really sure how safe a bet Takakeisho is going to be in the future. Since July of last year he's gone kyujo in three bashos out of seven, and I don't see that rate improving unless he loses weight and changes his "always head first" technique.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

anakha posted:

FYI, this is the guy with a brother in MMA and who knocked Enho loopy with open-palm uppercuts last basho.

Roho and Hakurozan got shitcanned for weed related stuff back in 2008, so that may very well be the end of his career too.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Is Takagenji the one who kept getting slapped by other rikishi because he wasn't bowing on the dohyo?

E: ha, yes. Asahisho have him an extra slap once after beating him for constantly being a dick to his opponents.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 20, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

anakha posted:

knocked Enho loopy with open-palm uppercuts last basho.

Yo weed is supposed to make you chill :mad:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

anakha posted:

Chris Sumo released this weird rear end video that this was all a vendetta against Takanohana, including saying oh they went after Abi and finally got him. Fucker, Abi deserved to be gone after for the poo poo he pulled.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, Kenning, as always, thank you for running Fantasy! It's a hell of a lot of fun until your team disintegrates before your eyes and I'm looking forward to hopefully pushing out of Juryo in Aki!

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Thanks again Kenning! There's so much luck involved in this. I'm pretty sure Tobizaru saved me by beating Tamawashi on day 15 and denying him a prize.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Takagenji? More like toke a ganja, amirite??

That thread says he did an Asanoyama style lie-and-then-recant too, so I imagine he's going to get no love or help from the NSK. Don't think many people will be sad to see him go.

Thanks for another fun fantasy basho, Kenning. I just barely managed to hang on to Komusubi thanks to Ichiyamamoto and Mitakeumi, and no thanks to Daieisho. Can't believe I thought he was an underrated pick.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Thanks for running Kenning! My dudes did well, but the Basho itself was full of great storylines and I'm very much looking forward to September.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

Chris Sumo released this weird rear end video that this was all a vendetta against Takanohana, including saying oh they went after Abi and finally got him. Fucker, Abi deserved to be gone after for the poo poo he pulled.

He put up a video after Asanoyama's punishment that gives context for his opinions. Essentially he alleged that Abi and Asanoyama's behaviour are not anomalies. They were thrown under the bus in order to stop anyone from looking too deeply into the culture fostered by the sumo bigwigs.

Essentially, he's saying that if they would do even a cursory investigation, most of makuuchi and juryo would be on indefinite suspension and the leadership would be forced to retire.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

goonzuke

thanks for running the league kenning! looking forward to september

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finishing 8th after such a bad start is pretty decent, glad I stuck with my guys where I could. Thanks for running the show Kenning.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Thanks from me as well!

Was just below the KK/MK line all tournament until the final day. Just barely made kachi-koshi by the slimmest possible margin which meant the day 15 wins from Ura, Aoiyama, Watatakakage and Takanosho's final-day KK were all critical for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The YDC are not happy with Hakuho, in particular with his Shodai bout and his forearm shiver against Terunofuji

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14399422