Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

"Remember that movie on Netflix?", is the Rangers new rally cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
I actually think the Kings will win this in Game 6. They just haven't had the same killer focus and mentality in home games this post-season. Lost Game 3 against SJ, Lost Games 3-4 at home against Anaheim. They could have eliminated the Blackhawks in Game 6 at home. I just don't know.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Kings are going to win in game 7 just to ensure their place in history as the worst team to ever win the Stanley Cup.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Extortionist posted:

Kings are going to win in game 7 just to ensure their place in history as the worst team to ever win the Stanley Cup.

Sorry, the Hurricanes have that one on lockdown.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

MaoistBanker posted:

I actually think the Kings will win this in Game 6. They just haven't had the same killer focus and mentality in home games this post-season. Lost Game 3 against SJ, Lost Games 3-4 at home against Anaheim. They could have eliminated the Blackhawks in Game 6 at home. I just don't know.

People are talking about how bad the Rangers looked (and they did) but I have to say the Kings didn't look nearly as good as they have in this series so far. In fact, they really only seemed to have a handful of moments when they could pull it all together and look like the Kings.

The Rangers, meanwhile, looked like jello in a microwave.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Overwined posted:

The Rangers, meanwhile, looked like jello in a microwave.

That's a new one.

In any event, this had to be the "Hank's gonna steal a game" win for the Rangers. It is nice, ensures that the series doesn't end in a sweep, but man alive, that whole "don't get a shot on goal until halfway through the 3rd period" thing really isn't a viable long-term strategy. Something's gotta click, maybe something as stupid as a bounce leading to a cheap goal, otherwise, sooner or later the Kings are just gonna strangle the life out of this series.

But, at the same time, for the Kings, that whole "don't let someone up off the mat" theory has gotta at least be in the back of their minds- if this one goes back to MSG, then it's gonna go 7, and all bets are off. I still don't think that will happen, LA probably wins it at home on Friday, but if the Rangers get the bounces, then things get pretty drat interesting.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Rangers need to sacrifice someone for luck.

Might I suggest Daniel Carcillo?

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

grack posted:

Rangers need to sacrifice someone for luck.

Might I suggest Daniel Carcillo?

I think Rangers fans would prefer Brad Richards at this point and time

e; haha holy gently caress, i just looked up him on capgeek and yes, holy poo poo yes, he should be the one sacrificed!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Rollin in on the midnight train, some red Xes

Outliers are dead, noted spud lover Pleads and his genius failed so close to the sun. The first real bite happened tonight. Let's see of New York can kill some more goons.

Hand Knit posted:

I am happy that there will be more hockey this season.

My answer to "who are you cheering for?" is always "more hockey". Which makes me a Rangers fan for at least a couple more nights.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Man, that's a pretty prescient song choice. :stare:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Kwik posted:

That's a new one.

In any event, this had to be the "Hank's gonna steal a game" win for the Rangers. It is nice, ensures that the series doesn't end in a sweep, but man alive, that whole "don't get a shot on goal until halfway through the 3rd period" thing really isn't a viable long-term strategy. Something's gotta click, maybe something as stupid as a bounce leading to a cheap goal, otherwise, sooner or later the Kings are just gonna strangle the life out of this series.

But, at the same time, for the Kings, that whole "don't let someone up off the mat" theory has gotta at least be in the back of their minds- if this one goes back to MSG, then it's gonna go 7, and all bets are off. I still don't think that will happen, LA probably wins it at home on Friday, but if the Rangers get the bounces, then things get pretty drat interesting.

Hank stole this game because he scuffed the ice in his crease really loving hard.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Kwik posted:

That's a new one.

The Rangers missed the net several times and had several more shots blocked. So they maybe could have had...like 5 shots on goal!

They looked like they were playing not to lose and didn't want to give up any more odd man rushes etc etc. Forecheckers weren't pressing very well, blah blah. Dump strategy.

I'd like another win so that everyone can continue going "haha yeah right they're going to get crushed" but that small niggle of a doubt will start to build in the back of their heads...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Levitate posted:

The Rangers missed the net several times and had several more shots blocked. So they maybe could have had...like 5 shots on goal!

They looked like they were playing not to lose and didn't want to give up any more odd man rushes etc etc. Forecheckers weren't pressing very well, blah blah. Dump strategy.

I'd like another win so that everyone can continue going "haha yeah right they're going to get crushed" but that small niggle of a doubt will start to build in the back of their heads...

They are down 3-1 against the best team in the west this year, so winning one more wont really make much of a difference at this point. At least it will be more memorable than 2012 when the Kings ran over the corpse of Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils. :shobon:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Furnaceface posted:

They are down 3-1 against the best team in the west this year, so winning one more wont really make much of a difference at this point. At least it will be more memorable than 2012 when the Kings ran over the corpse of Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils. :shobon:

It wouldn't really make a difference...until they won game 6. Then suddenly it's a 7 game series! Wild unreasonable hopes abound waiting to be crushed!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Furnaceface posted:

hahaha I love this

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Heh.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/476961015611936768

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the kings fan threatening to cancel their netflix account and get their friends to do it too.

Sure you will, buddy.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So if the Rangers win the Cup, it will be in 27 games. If the Kings do it, it will be in 26, 27, or 28 games. Are any of those a new record?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Isn't 26 the current record?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah I heard that last night's game tied the record. I guess this is now the longest season of NHL hockey ever.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I hope this series goes 7 then the Kings win in OT.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mr. Kite posted:

I hope this series goes 7

let's just start there

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah I heard that last night's game tied the record. I guess this is now the longest season of NHL hockey ever.

Advantage Rangers, since they didn't start playing hockey until December.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

quote:

Henrik Lundqvist: 8-0, 0.99 GAA, .968 SV% in last 8 elimination games at MSG
:stare:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'd like to know his pre-game mental routine

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sweet thursday posted:

It's like the Thorogood song, but instead of three types of booze it's girls.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Like three of those are against the Caps.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

MaoistBanker posted:

Yeah, I saw a tweet from the NHL saying that this was the longest playoffs, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a record for the longest road to the cup.

It probably does, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VJeff posted:

2 should be Pittsburgh too.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

VJeff posted:

you mean the team with the best goal scorer in the nhl?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

clearly lundqvist is just poo poo

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The stats are clear: Lundqvist has 0 cups so far in how many years with the Rangers?

Buy out Lundqvist.

But for real I don't think there is a goalie in the league I'd rather not face than Lundqvist in a 7 game series. He just doesn't make mistakes or implode for a game like almost every other goalie. He might not be worth the contract in a few years, but hey at least he was one of the main reasons the Rangers made to a SCF so for that alone he's going to end up being worth it.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 12, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

sweet thursday posted:

He listens to Blink 182.

No, seriously.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

He listens to Blink 182.

No, seriously.

Which he describes as "punk rock"

It was in an interview with Bryant Gumbel like two years ago.

e: http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=165962 (trigger warning: Tortorella is in this interview)

Glambags fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 12, 2014

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

sweet thursday posted:

AV builds a rhinoceros out of pucks and Chris Kreider, and launches it right into him

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

The Casualty posted:

AV builds a rhinoceros out of pucks and Chris Kreider, and launches it right into him

Not enough Advil to save Hank after that.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

He listens to Blink 182.

No, seriously.

REMEMBER THE TIME I SPILLED THE CUP OF APPLE JUICE IN THE HALL PLEASE TELL TORTS ITS NOT MY FAULT
*air guitar solo*

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The new Blink album is really good and I think older folks snub their noses at their youthful energy and emotions.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

He listens to Blink 182.

No, seriously.

Hey Blink 182 used to get me super amped up when I was 10 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Pretty sure the Rangers are quite done. That was their make this not a historically embarrassing finals win and they barely did it.

• Locked thread