Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tokin opposition posted:

just dipshit checking myself, anyone here use snipe-IT for inventory management? god help me but I'm going to push for a move to it even with my boss being herself

We use it. It does a pretty good job for what it is (basic asset management with checkout features and a reasonable security model for granting other users i.e. HR theoretically limited permissions to do things). They've added some nice features including SAML SSO though I don't believe they have SCIM yet, and while you can of course host it yourself I think it's a relatively cheap cost to have them host it - something like $400/year.

Well, relatively cheap if you don't work for a poo poo nonprofit with an idiot moron boss but uh

ah

well

nevertheless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It's good, used it at my last job

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
snipeyhead owns, Jerm owns, everyone is very respectful by default and will also publicly tell you to gently caress off if you're a dick in their issues

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Love Snipe-IT. Used to host it myself, and yeah the creator is awesome and was responsive when I had bugs/feature requests ... that was a long time ago though.

I'd use it now but my company was already on AssetPanda which is just fine.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

So where are the freshservice stans even it comes to inventory? I always see snipeit recommended, demoed it briefly but higher ups didn't go for it back then

Has anything used IT Asset Tool? One of my techs wanted to check it out.

Started a proof of concept for Zammad helpdesk this week, seems promising to replace solarwinds

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Freshservice is good, but it's inventory features are overly complicated, and targeted at orgs doing ITIL and connecting everything in a dependency graph for change management.

Snipe-IT is for physical objects that you give to people, and has a way better user experience over all.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Fool posted:

Freshservice is good, but it's inventory features are overly complicated, and targeted at orgs doing ITIL and connecting everything in a dependency graph for change management.

Yeah, this pretty much nails it.

If you don’t stay on top of it or do a half-assed rollout, it can be a mess too.

In a perfect world where everyone attaches assets to tickets it could potentially be super useful for diagnosing weird gremlins or seeing patterns within the environment but… it’s nearly impossible to get most people to leave good notes, let alone actually do something.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vulture Culture posted:

snipeyhead owns, Jerm owns, everyone is very respectful by default and will also publicly tell you to gently caress off if you're a dick in their issues

I kinda want to see what that looks like.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Used snipeit on recommendation from this thread, it's really good, but like with all asset management, not being the one stuck keeping on top of the asset management is key.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

I kinda want to see what that looks like.
This one came up quickly in an issue search for "gently caress"

https://github.com/snipe/snipe-it/issues/3245

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Thanks for the feedback all, I don't think it's going to work but I can't help but try and improve this shitfest even when I think my time here is finite. Sadly im already the person required to keep on top of it, but anything would be better than our two hundred+ excel file approach. (Two per user plus three master ones filled with macros that break weekly. In case you were wondering, I've already gotten pushback from my coworker about changing this.)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vulture Culture posted:

This one came up quickly in an issue search for "gently caress"

https://github.com/snipe/snipe-it/issues/3245

Goddamn they put up with a lot of aggressive bullshit for a good long time in this one.

Also, I'm gonna steal this next time I need to very gently, mostly-professionally tell someone to gently caress themselves:

quote:

Toodles,

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

CloFan posted:

So where are the freshservice stans even it comes to inventory? I always see snipeit recommended, demoed it briefly but higher ups didn't go for it back then

Has anything used IT Asset Tool? One of my techs wanted to check it out.

Started a proof of concept for Zammad helpdesk this week, seems promising to replace solarwinds

I use SnipeIT and it’s good for what it is but I’m at the point where I’d like something with a probe and scans, which SnipeIT isn’t. We are large enough that I can justify a couple thousand a year something better now.

Tested freshservice’s asset tool since we are on pro licenses already and I wasn’t super impressed compared to something like lansweeper but I’ll be looking more into options later this year.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We are on lansweeper now, and they are jacking our price up 3x :-( so I'm looking for alternatives there too. Might get NinjaOne to replace it, although that isn't exactly the same type of tool

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Officially at the MSP and not the client anymore as of this week, tentatively took my first couple of tickets. Shadowed over one pw change and a user getting decommissioned and a new one being added, booted a server remotely, and changed an account's display name. Nothing too much, but I need to get out of the strict shift mindset of the call center, and get more used to it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Take lots of notes, don’t be scared to do things you don’t know how to do yet, and ask questions. Don’t have people do things for you when you can help it, ask them to help when you hit a wall.

Good luck!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cyks posted:

I use SnipeIT and it’s good for what it is but I’m at the point where I’d like something with a probe and scans, which SnipeIT isn’t. We are large enough that I can justify a couple thousand a year something better now.

Tested freshservice’s asset tool since we are on pro licenses already and I wasn’t super impressed compared to something like lansweeper but I’ll be looking more into options later this year.

If it's really really good probing that you looking for and you're tired of endlessly trying to improve the lovely asset matching of 95% of the network scanners out there, I might recommend Runzero. It has no business being this good yet inexpensive.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Potato Salad posted:

If it's really really good probing that you looking for ...no business being this good yet inexpensive.

:wiggle: :pervert:

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
K I finished my degree now where the jobs at

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have some bad news

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Blurb3947 posted:

K I finished my degree now where the jobs at

woof.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Fool posted:

I have some bad news

Now is not a terribly great time to break into the field for sure. I had all of my internships canceled and we only have one open position in the entire department.

Lots of big companies have made cuts, and the industry I am in (wood products) is heavily affected by interest rates. If you’re willing to relocate and work on-prem/hybrid you’ll find something though. For remote just understand you’re competing with hundreds, if not thousands of candidates for any good role

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I helped a lot of people find jobs during the recession years of 2007-2009, and I'm mostly going to reiterate the same advice: network, network, network. I'm not suggesting you hit the bricks and hand out resumes. Shallow interactions buy you nothing. The biggest thing you have working against you is that as an entry-level candidate, no matter how smart you are, people need to take a chance on you. So to get your foot in the door, you need to reduce that risk with everyone who would benefit from working with you.

Your first job is meeting a lot of people who aren't hiring yet, convincing them you're really smart, and making sure they keep you in mind for positions that they hold sway over. In-person referrals are the best shot you have of getting a foot in the door. Join online tech communities, especially ones with a local presence. Go to local meetups. Learn what you learn from other folks, then go deeper, and try to deepen the knowledge of the folks around you. Give presentations yourself.

I've been in this field 22 years. I accepted a position with a new company last week. It extends my uninterrupted seven-job streak of only working with companies where someone inside has invited me to interview.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 20, 2024

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I’m thankful to have a job right now for sure. It’s just an entry level MSP position that I was already overqualified for before considering my degree. Would feel kind of bad for burning a bridge so soon after getting this job but I’m also making peanuts for what I probably could get anywhere else.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Even companies with great platform organizations are considering outsourcing their tier 1-2 IT service management duties to MSPs so they can refocus their dev teams on exponential growth of engineering productivity. In a few years they're going to be the Kubernetes ops companies. There's no better place to find out how stuff works, and honestly, if you're a person who thrives under pressure, there's no learning opportunity that will grow you faster. If you work for one that has clients with real technology problems instead of vanilla naivete about computers, in 2 years you'll have every single resume buzzword you'd need to apply for any job anywhere, and I cannot overstate how much this helps your prospects whether the market is hot or cold.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Blurb3947 posted:

I’m thankful to have a job right now for sure. It’s just an entry level MSP position that I was already overqualified for before considering my degree. Would feel kind of bad for burning a bridge so soon after getting this job but I’m also making peanuts for what I probably could get anywhere else.

Only extend that kind of loyalty where it’s actually earned and reciprocated. In the modern corporate environment, that is almost never.

If they are perfectly happy to under pay you for your labor, then it is your responsibility to yourself and your family to go get paid better elsewhere, if you can.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 20, 2024

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
another day, another ticket complaining about the speed of light and demanding I do something about it

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vulture Culture posted:

reiterate the same advice: network, network, network.

This is great advice.

Whenever a team I’m in needs another person I check who’s available in my network. I’ve gotten a dozen people a new job over the past few years, mostly in my teams and sometimes just putting them in touch with other folks I know that were hiring.

Getting someone I know means I’m not having to read dozens of resumes, picking a handfull of them to interview and then figure out who was bullshitting and who’s not.

I just managed to get an old coworker on board just by saying I’ve worked with them and I’d blindly work with them in any role I’d be suited for. My manager figured that’s good enough for her and instantly hired them after doing an introduction call.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Only extend that kind of loyalty where it’s actually earned and reciprocated. In the modern corporate environment, that is almost never.

If they are perfectly happy to under pay you for your labor, then it is your responsibility to yourself and your family to go get paid better elsewhere, if you can.
The one thing I advise here, and not everybody agrees, is that reciprocity isn't a moment in time, it's a sliding window. If you got someone to take a chance on you and they invested into growing you, you drained the company of your salary while you onboarded and upskilled for six months, and then you leave the second you know enough to get a marginal pay bump somewhere else, they're going to get jaded about taking a chance on the next person. This is another form of pulling the ladder up after you, in a job market where everyone needs all the goodwill they can get. Obviously, use your judgment and don't let others take advantage of you.

I don't believe life works on good karma and prosperity gospel, but we're all part of a big system where the only counterbalance against efficiency algorithms is kindness.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

The one thing I advise here, and not everybody agrees, is that reciprocity isn't a moment in time, it's a sliding window. If you got someone to take a chance on you and they invested into growing you, you drained the company of your salary while you onboarded and upskilled for six months, and then you leave the second you know enough to get a marginal pay bump somewhere else, they're going to get jaded about taking a chance on the next person. This is another form of pulling the ladder up after you, in a job market where everyone needs all the goodwill they can get. Obviously, use your judgment and don't let others take advantage of you.

I don't believe life works on good karma and prosperity gospel, but we're all part of a big system where the only counterbalance against efficiency algorithms is kindness.

I wouldn’t bounce immediately in that situation either however, if you have made yourself valuable, and there is recognition of that, then you would not be remiss in asking for a compensation adjustment. And if they blow you off and try to lock you in at a low rate that is less than what you’re worth you are not remiss in changing jobs. In those situations where that has happened and I can’t offer what someone is worth, then I congratulate them on their new role and see them on their way. If your organization is run in any kind of competent manner, you can afford a little bit of turnover without everything falling over.

I take chances on folks all the time and that’s what those probationary periods are for. If you work out and skill up, then I will generally put the pay bump right into the hiring offer. The risk is bi-directional, and I would argue that the employee always takes the greater risk when you’re talking about an entry-level position. If you failed to perform and get let go after the probationary period, I am losing out of some time and lost productivity. Depending on your situation, you are trying to figure out how to get a new job before you can’t pay rent.

However, if you do a pretty good job of treating your people well and paying them as best you can, turnover from someone out growing their role with no growth opportunity within the organization is pretty rare. unless someone is a very aggressive climber, it takes more than being a little underpaid to get someone to change jobs usually.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

One of the best pieces of advice I've been given in my one year of IT that I wish I knew earlier.

When you're on call, if someone calls, let it go to voicemail. If they don't leave a voicemail, it's not an emergency. If they leave one, and it doesn't meet the threshold of whatever your org says is an emergency, you can ignore it till business hours.

Owe my mentor a beer for that one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's right. Anything else is essentially scabbing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Handsome Ralph posted:

One of the best pieces of advice I've been given in my one year of IT that I wish I knew earlier.

When you're on call, if someone calls, let it go to voicemail. If they don't leave a voicemail, it's not an emergency. If they leave one, and it doesn't meet the threshold of whatever your org says is an emergency, you can ignore it till business hours.

I think this is really workplace dependent and I wouldn’t give it as generic advice.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Handsome Ralph posted:

If I did this deliberately in my current workplace I would have my head on a pike soon after. That's a very risky assumption to take so be very cautious to implement it.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
If you find yourself in a role with an oncall rotation, ask what the oncall policy is and what procedures/policies are in place for the people or systems doing the calling. 'Just let it go to voicemail' would be really bad advice at my shop and my previous workplace but YMMV.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this really comes down to organizations needing a very specific on-call policy

We scrapped literal decades of hearsay and here's-what-we-have-been-doing two years ago. In place of that mess, we now have an actual, board approved policy, and it has served us well. Rather than getting a vibe check from my supervisor, my actions / communications/ escalations for after hours emergencies are clearly laid out in a document. Once I have assessed several factors including impact scope, severity, and risk factors on remediation in and out of peak hours...I just trace my finger along a flowchart and do exactly what it says.

Even if you don't have an on-call rotation or do former ITIL, it makes a lot of sense to have at least something down in writing as a hard-approved, pre considered policy for when emergencies inevitably find their way to your attention outside of regular working hours or conditions.

In cases where you really shouldn't be doing free work outside normal business engagement/hours, it's much easier (and safer for your career) to be able to deflect an issue from an irate party if you can point at a policy and say that your hands are tied. "My standing orders signed by management are xyz, my apologies."

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 21, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I took a paycut to go from being on call even on holiday to the new policy of "if we call and you don't answer then don't worry about it."

It's worth the lost money in terms of ability to relax, but it's not the default policy to assume.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Iron Rose posted:

I think this is really workplace dependent and I wouldn’t give it as generic advice.

Yeah that's fair. My gigs rule is on call is only for emergencies that are patient (biomed business) or critical systems impacting. But we still get people who treat on call like a tech concierge, and have to be told to just put a ticket in and not to call for stupid things like "I wanna set up an extra monitor, can you walk me through that at 10pm on a Saturday night?"

If I were working elsewhere, that advice likely wouldn't hold.

SlowBloke posted:

If I did this deliberately in my current workplace I would have my head on a pike soon after. That's a very risky assumption to take so be very cautious to implement it.

Oh for sure, if I wasn't specifically told that it was fine to let it go to voicemail after 9pm, I'd answer it right away like I did when I first started. We have a pretty clear policy on what on call is there for and most people respect that, but I also work with a lot of doctors so we get a solid amount of "but I'm special so you should do whatever I say". :jerkbag:

Also we do get paid at least if we have to work the call.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 21, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Handsome Ralph posted:

My gigs rule is on call is only for emergencies that are patient (biomed business) or critical systems impacting.

I know I had an effort post above and may need to shut up, but this sentence right here raises little yellow warning flags for me because sometimes what is a critical system to one section of the business is not a critical system to you or another section of the business. For example, there are perhaps some patient systems that are more critical than others, and perhaps some that are much less critical than others.

Even if all an IT department had was a document that created different tiers of risk/disruption/criticality for systems, that would help with setting uniform expectations for this kind of contact.

Edit: really, considering business impact of system disruption is really Step 0 of any rigorous continuity planning. In it, we often think of business continuity in terms of disaster recovery and backups, but it really starts at the top with assessment of business impact in general. where we plug in downstream of that assessment with technological considerations and the remedies we apply to mitigate risks (aka backups, availability, and a DR playbook)

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wait, are people objecting to the letting a call go to voicemail part or the ignore it if it's not within your on-call criteria part?

[edit: looks like mostly the later, and yeah I agree. Especially the advice about having a well-defined criteria just to set expectations. If you work at a place that gets mad because an on-call call goes to voicemail, time to change that or get the gently caress out.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 21, 2024