Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mllaneza posted:

I'll still stan RtW's single-player experience over UA:D, but MP boat fights would be great.

Now to set up a tournament bracket and figure out a system for drafting a team of boats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

One systematic approach could be; pick up your favourite naval biography, translate these historic persons into simplistic stereotypes, and have your participants send in something akin to a d&d role-playing character. Then assign command according to who they unknowingly resemble the most

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Ah, a Mitscher-Benbow personality test.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Is there still an active grog discord btw?

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
Any good multiplayer co-op wargames that doesn't involve sending emails back and forth? I know the Scourge of War/Take Command series allowed players to control different units on the same side, was wondering if there was something similar to that out there (though not necessarily Civil War era or real time). Would love to play something like War in the East with each player taking a different Army Group.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pirate Radar posted:

Now to set up a tournament bracket and figure out a system for drafting a team of boats

Surely you mean draughting.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

mllaneza posted:

I'll still stan RtW's single-player experience over UA:D, but MP boat fights would be great.

My first thought here would be to translate RTW ships into UA:D so players could test their designs head to head.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gnoman posted:

My first thought here would be to translate RTW ships into UA:D so players could test their designs head to head.

RtW and UA:D's shipbuilding and tactical combat AI routines head-to-head, rendered in the UA:D engine, but with the maps from RtW.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mllaneza posted:

Surely you mean draughting.

Yes, accepted.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

I think 1904 is a really good tech year. Pre-dreadnaught battleships are surprisingly interesting given all the design constraints you have to work around, cruisers are also in an interesting space (they're either tb hunters or close-to Battleship strength), and torpedoes have a 1/2 nm range but you are absolutely hosed if you eat one.

I bet there's scope for some really interesting MP there with composition and tactics. Not so much of a fan of the actual Dreadnaught era when it comes to competitive play because too much comes down to the die roll of who gets a devastating hit in first.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After a brief search of the forums, this seems to be the right thread to ask about OOTP baseball.

Assuming it is, would someone be so kind and answer these questions:

Does the game come with historical seasons or have easy access to them?
Does it have a draft option where you can randomize teams and/or draft your own?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

After a brief search of the forums, this seems to be the right thread to ask about OOTP baseball.

Does it have a draft option where you can randomize teams and/or draft your own?

Yes to both

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Waltzing Along posted:

1. Yes! It's as easy as "New Game" and picking "Historical", then a year.
2. Also yes! You can do a full MLB layout and randomize the players, do a full draft, fill it with random gens, it's pretty goddamn robust.

If you're a sicko, you can make completely fictional leagues.

If you're a real sicko, you can make a custom world database of the Game of Thrones countries/cities and name generation database with Westeros/fantasy first-and-last names you stole from some tabletop RPG website on the internet to create the Westerosi Baseball League with teams spread all over the map with custom insignia and uniforms, because the whole Great House system lends itself REALLY well to natural team names, then let it all simulate for 40 years before creating a quickstart that you can pull up for New Game and lead the Dreadfort Flayed Men to victory.

Then you can lose all of that work in the intervening years and get discouraged every time you think about playing the newest OOTP and it's just not the same because you're more attached to your imaginary baseball league than the game of baseball itself. :mad:

Uh there are also a ton of real world baseball leagues included (although not always the logos), but one MAJOR exception is that several years ago they lost the Nippon Pro Baseball license and the game's current publisher has no interest in buying it back, so they completely loving smashed older versions of the game with the NPB by delisting them, and haven't had real teams included (and possibly do some bullshit to stop YOU from adding them yourself?) since 2022.

I'm mad about it.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 15, 2024

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thanks for the quick responses. Can I draft against the CPU?

Seems this might be what I have a hankering for. I used to play APBA but have always been annoyed they don't just include the seasons. And the stats there are old school and stupid. Though the game themselves are entertaining.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

Seems this might be what I have a hankering for. I used to play APBA but have always been annoyed they don't just include the seasons. And the stats there are old school and stupid. Though the game themselves are entertaining.

yes, you can make it so that other teams are CPU-controlled and will make their draft decisions separate from yours

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cool. Thanks much.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Video Games › Grognard Games Megathread - New Rotisserie Style!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait don't we have to warn this poor fellow about that book about a guy who becomes obsessed with his fictional dice baseball league like the old op from 10 years ago.

Edit the Universal Baseball Association

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm actually very pleased that my joke post about including OOTP into the thread's remit actually came true.

Shine on, grognard thread.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Either here or we fall in with the fantasy baseball thread, which, yeuch

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, OOTP is simulationist and niche as gently caress so it is at the very least grog adjacent. And it probably doesn't have an active thread in and of itself like Football Manager might.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

No idea what an APBA was, so I googled it, and wanted to see some of that sweet sweet gameplay example and I was greeted with a .pptx file. The gently caress is a pptx file, and why aren't use using PDFs like rational people?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Sick, that's a Powerpoint deck. What are they making, modpacks for Silent Hunter?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Speak of the devil, I was looking up Naval Action the other day and it seems like the devs have finally caved and are pivoting to making a singleplayer Pirates!-but-hardcore-sim game.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
call to arms or steel division?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Asproigerosis posted:

call to arms or steel division?

Depends what you are looking for. Call to arms - Gates of Hell is much smaller scale, you will be commanding 2-10 squads of infantry on average + 2-5 tanks. Give or take. You can take individual control of each unit and play as a semi-fps (don't expect too much).

Steel division takes place on much larger maps, with many more units and is more abstracted in many ways. It's more of a big-picture game where you aren't as concerned with what individual soldiers are doing.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Speak of the devil, I was looking up Naval Action the other day and it seems like the devs have finally caved and are pivoting to making a singleplayer Pirates!-but-hardcore-sim game.

I mean that’s better, but without coop if not some kind of pvp its going to just be the same as grinding by yourself in NA isn’t it?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Is this a new game or an update to Naval Action?

Edit: Looked it up Sea Legends it graphically looks fantastic. I am definetly down for a single player AOS game, for it's flaws I still really enjoyed Naval Action and the old Sea Dogs game was one of my favourites.

Popete fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 20, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Mech Engineer is out now on Steam.

From Steam Page posted:

Mech Engineer is a mech lover’s dream come true: you will oversee every aspect of your squad's operation, from optimizing the reactors to fine-tuning weapons systems. Carefully tweak and balance each mech's weight, energy, and heat systems to maximize efficiency.

The skills and emotional state of each pilot also play an important role, along with the effective management of your base and resources. You will deploy your finely calibrated and tuned machines onto missions, where your decisions during semi-auto battles (with active pause) against a mutating alien bio-weapon will mean life or death.

Despite being a game published by Microprose I wasn't sure if I should post it in the Grog thread until I took a look at the Steam reviews.

quote:

Great concept, terrible execution. I'm sorry, but the UI is incredibly obtuse to the point of being unplayable. Refunded.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

For $12? I can stomach an obtuse UI..

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Popete posted:

Mech Engineer is out now on Steam.

Despite being a game published by Microprose I wasn't sure if I should post it in the Grog thread until I took a look at the Steam reviews.

The right call. DCS F-4 is delayed and I really need my "try to cooperate with obtuse finicky machine spirit" fix

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Arrath posted:

For $12? I can stomach an obtuse UI..

We're grogs, I can stomach it for $79.99 so this is basically free

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

its not an obtuse UI more like mystery mechanics but its p cool

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Squiggle posted:

lmao

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Okay I've tried the demo for a few minutes and it is super obtuse but I beat the first mission so hey, progress.

E: I tried to build a mech, got told I had to 'assemble and ignite a reactor' so pieced one together and hit ignite. It runs but god only knows if it'll work in combat or immediately overheat. I have no earthly idea what I'm doing.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 22, 2024

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I found Ardennes Offensive on sale and man, they changed a lot. Finding it a big hump to relearn where the cards are, air power, artillery, unit tabs versus officer tabs. Something just feels off about it after playing all of the other ones.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Chump Farts posted:

I found Ardennes Offensive on sale and man, they changed a lot. Finding it a big hump to relearn where the cards are, air power, artillery, unit tabs versus officer tabs. Something just feels off about it after playing all of the other ones.

Definitely, but overall I like the changes he's made. I think they suit the scenarios in DCAO, and while it's not an exact comparison because the scale is different I think DCAO comes out as an even better game than the other DCs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah there's a real whiplash coming from Barbarossa where you go from 'every turn represents a week, your day is spent trying to negotiate between train nazi and truck nazi', to 'every turn represents 3-4 hours of combat, you have to decide what individual artillery battles do'.

Really does demonstrate the versatility of Vic's game design process.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Squiggle posted:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Shadow Empire is on sale for 50% off (USD $19.99) right now. The expansion is 25% off at $7.49, but if you buy them both together as a bundle it's another 10% off for $24.73. Pretty tempting to finally pick it up, play it once, and shelve it forever.