Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
all 3 villains from yakuza 0 are out on stage chatting poo poo this is the best show of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

It was some of the most flat and wooden delivery I've heard in my life and I've played three Kingdom Hearts games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6skG7ykCiY&t=104s

Jesus. Watching that gameplay preview on top of the prior trailers, Forespoken feels like someone watched half an hour of Horizon Zero Dawn gameplay and then pitched something to a marketing team with the word "technology" replaced by "magic spells", along with a list of what they thought the marketable successful parts of HZD were.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I'm going to instantly bookmark the new thread and continue to read it all even though I haven't played my PS4 in ages and don't have a PS5.

Hope I can get a PS5 next year or whenever it has games lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The combat/traversal part of Forspoken looks great, but I'm completely cold on the narrative trappings.

They showed a sort of sphere grid for the spells and there are like 100 spells, it's quite cool.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A lot of people out there seem to be claiming that the assets look reused, but I believe they are Bespoken.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Can I be a noted 'good boy' who has never got themselves into a fight in the OP of the new thread

(except for when I said the PSX was a bad console)

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm usually pretty good at ignoring bad writing/dialogue in video games, so I'm very excited to see how Forespoken turns out. Combat looks fun, and I love the setting/world so far.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wrong thread

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yesssssssssssss

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

univbee posted:

Yesssssssssssss

loving lmao give it to me. kiryu i need to know whats going on

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

loving lmao give it to me. kiryu i need to know whats going on

Imagine him doing emo karaoke songs.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Yakuza 8 coming to PS4 in 2024. Has there ever been a previous generation that got anything other than sports games 4 years after the next gen console release?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Forespoken doesn't sound any worse or more annoying than the other games it shares a genre with

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

univbee posted:

Imagine him doing emo karaoke songs.

oh my god

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I turned off the GOW 2 Trailer as soon as they went into that new fancy world. Dont want to see too much!

Also, gently caress me up Toby Im ready

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

VideoGames posted:

Just over the last few months I have noted how snippy, nasty, miserable, combatative and vitriolic it has been getting. I want to try a reboot.

Tbh I don't post much because it's p toxic and seems to be a lot of ongoing inter-poster beef dominating conversations, but I didn't want to say anything

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

kiryu gaiden game in 2023 yessssssss

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BisterdDave posted:

Yakuza 8 coming to PS4 in 2024. Has there ever been a previous generation that got anything other than sports games 4 years after the next gen console release?

NES still got actual games 3 or 4 years after the SNES but not really. Full BC and diminishing returns on graphics has destroyed the concept of generations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So full stack of RGG announcements

Like A Dragon: Ishin - Feb 21st release date in the West (22nd in Asian territories)
Like A Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name - 2023 release date, game that explains what happened with Kiryu to fill in the gaps between 6-7-8. Will be about half the length of a normal Yakuza game.
Ryu Ga Gotoku 8 - 2024 release date, RPG, both Kiryu and Ichiban will be protagonists in it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BisterdDave posted:

I'm usually pretty good at ignoring bad writing/dialogue in video games, so I'm very excited to see how Forespoken turns out. Combat looks fun, and I love the setting/world so far.

Yeah people seemed to be able to struggle through the Borderlands series, despite coughing heavier and heavier mouthfuls of blood every time a new character showed up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Forespoken doesn't sound any worse or more annoying than the other games it shares a genre with

Name them. Use a specific example.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

univbee posted:

So full stack of RGG announcements

Like A Dragon: Ishin - Feb 21st release date in the West (22nd in Asian territories)
Like A Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name - 2023 release date, game that explains what happened with Kiryu to fill in the gaps between 6-7-8. Will be about half the length of a normal Yakuza game.
Ryu Ga Gotoku 8 - 2024 release date, RPG, both Kiryu and Ichiban will be protagonists in it

fuckin stonked

kiryu game is action btw.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJhqN7R_oAg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxkn-dcy01k

:bisonyes:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah people seemed to be able to struggle through the Borderlands series, despite coughing heavier and heavier mouthfuls of blood every time a new character showed up.

To be fair you could entirely turn down the dialogue volume in Borderlands, and this was in fact extremely recommended

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 14, 2022

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I wish I could get more excited about yakuza games cuz that's a lot of stuff coming out. Mildly curious about Ishin tho

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

RareAcumen posted:

GoW 2018

"and now I have friggin chains around my arms?!?!"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

JBP posted:

Tbh I don't post much because it's p toxic and seems to be a lot of ongoing inter-poster beef dominating conversations, but I didn't want to say anything

This is absolutely my fear. People not wanting to post at all and not speaking up. The PS4 thread had a lot of different posters and the start of this thread the same. Maybe it is the lack of PS5s and people feel they cannot post here if they only have a PS4 but that is not the case. Any Sony Console enjoyer and player of Games Available on Sony Consoles can post here in the Sony PlayStation Threads.

I want a refresh to encourage this. :hai:

I also want everyone to leave their beefs in this thread. You do not have to like every poster, you just have to post alongside them. You do not have to reply to every poster. You do not have to reply to anyone. If you wanted to just post into a void and never respond to anyone and just keep doing your thing here then do it. Just be funny and/or interesting.

Aipsh posted:

Before you close the thread please do a stream of you reading every post and your reaction

This would be the new 24 hour stream and WAY too long :) Maybe I will find some highlights.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sorry for continuing the Cas riff VG, I generally just try to aim for a constant ebb of sarcasm.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

. Just be funny and/or interesting.[/i]

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I wish I could get more excited about yakuza games cuz that's a lot of stuff coming out. Mildly curious about Ishin tho

Genuinely if you are tired of Too Much Yakuza, look into Judgement.

It's the exact same format as the earlier action Yakuza games, but with brand new cast that you don't need any info on previous characters going in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU8vewTQ8EA

The dynamic boss intros are so good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

Borderlands at least tries to have a consistent unique identity and it's down to individual taste if you wind up enjoying it or not.

Forespoken just feels... tepid. I'm hoping it's just a dud preview for an otherwise great game akin to HZD's leadup to release, but something's just not ringing true on this one and I can't quite place what.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Forespoken knows what an isekai is, but doesn't seem to do anything interesting with it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Seems like they bit off a little more than they could chew and should have just started with Onespoken.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BisterdDave posted:

sony has never abandoned japanese gamers and vice versa with a new gen this hard before so the laws of gamer physics are breaking down

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Genuinely if you are tired of Too Much Yakuza, look into Judgement.

It's the exact same format as the earlier action Yakuza games, but with brand new cast that you don't need any info on previous characters going in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU8vewTQ8EA

The dynamic boss intros are so good

Nah I've never been able to get into the series properly. Played Y0 and liked the characters and story well enough but hated the gameplay and wasnt interested in the substories. Tried Yak LAD hoping a change up in the gameplay would help but found it uninspiring. It's a good time to be a yakuza fan but I cant find that hook to become one

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

How many spokens is too many

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also I dont have a beef with anyone in this thread

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Except that guy who said they didnt like it when ppl post too many times in a row!! Rude!! :mad:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

fridge corn posted:

How many spokens is too many

We'll all find out when The Last of Uspokens, Part I, Remastered is released on the PS6.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

We're all already Spoken For here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Not to this extent, the next-closest anomaly I can think of was something like Persona 4 on PS2, which released in like 2008 and was a full year after Sony stopped selling PS3s that could run PS2 games, so if you weren't an early PS3 adopter you had to have a PS2 for it, although those were available for like $129 new at the time and I think everyone still had one if they didn't specifically upgrade to a backwards compatible PS3.

I think the big difference now is all the tools for developing a game including the official Sony SDK and stuff like Unreal Engine make multi-generation and multi-platform development way easier than it's been in the past. As long as the game you're making isn't trying to do something that the PS4 explicitly can't do, like ray tracing or some form of game design that heavily leverages the SSD speed, it's trivial to make a PS4 and PS5 version of the same game. Like, it's not free, there's still some amount of work to put in, but you might only have to sell a few thousand copies to make it worth your while, and with the sheer number of PS4s out there it's a no-brainer and effectively guaranteed to sell some respectable number of copies that wouldn't have purchased a theoretical PS5-only version due to not having the PS5 to play it on, even in 2024.

Back in the day due to entirely different architectures you were largely reprogramming the entire game to make a multi-generational, and this was a lot of work to the point that it was very frequently outsourced, and it made for very quick plans to abandon ship once the new generation got underway, not to mention that more often than not the generational leap was enough to really transform games on a fundamental level, like you weren't back-porting GTA3 onto a PS1 no matter how badly you wanted to.

univbee fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 14, 2022